PDA

View Full Version : Does the slide on the Ruger LCP lock back after the last shot in a magazine?

Unregistered
August 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
thanks for the help.

Nimble1
August 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
No

wjkuleck
August 13, 2008, 07:12 PM
"No," is correct. However, there is a slide lock which you can manually engage to lock the slide back. The slide lock does not work automatically.

Regards,

Walt

Kreyzhorse
August 13, 2008, 07:24 PM
It doesn't lock back on its "sister" gun the Kel-Tec either.....

9x19
August 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
More like "father" than sister... :D

fisherman66
August 13, 2008, 07:43 PM
How about "Mutha"?

Alleykat
August 13, 2008, 09:18 PM
Poor design, in my opinion. I wouldn't own a semi-auto with that "feature". (Except for my 10-22, of course, and I hate it that the 10-22 "fails" in that respect.)

9x19
August 13, 2008, 10:57 PM
Actually the one that started it all was Kel-Tec's P-32 and it has an empty-mag-slide-lock, but when it that design was adapted to the .380, the added width of the .380 cartridge meant there simply wasn't enough room left to keep the slide lock.

When the new folks at Ruger copied the design of the Kel-Tec .380, they apparently didn't want to add enough width to their own Little Copycat Pistol to incorporate the slide lock of the P32.
:D

powwowell
August 14, 2008, 11:42 AM
When your slide locks back, on the last round fired on a LCP, or a P-3AT, you ain't gonna like it! Something will be broke.

Larry

Creature
August 14, 2008, 11:45 AM
poor design, in my opinion

Agreed. That is why I wont by a Ruger LCP or a Kel-Tec.

Alleykat
August 15, 2008, 08:27 AM
After posting in this thread, I spoke with a friend who works part-time at a gun shop in Birmingham, AL. Friend carries a Kel-Tec .380 and seems to like it. After discussing the matter with the friend, I think I might look into the Ruger version. The thin, lightweight design of both pistols would make me more likely to carry one in a pocket when I didn't want to carry otherwise. I guess having some firepower available in an emergency, even if the slide doesn't lock back, beats being nekked.

fisherman66
August 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
FYI, You must press the mag release when inserting a mag. I believe you can take a file to the catch on one side to defeat this, but I don't care to take that risk.

rantingredneck
August 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
FYI, You must press the mag release when inserting a mag.

Not on mine you don't.

qwik
August 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
mag a little tight at first breaking in, give it a pop she'll go :p

remshooter
August 15, 2008, 06:49 PM
FYI, You must press the mag release when inserting a mag. I believe you can take a file to the catch on one side to defeat this, but I don't care to take that risk.

This is news to me. I have two and neither require doing this.

Stiofan
August 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
Why the LCP haters have to polute every thread with their opinions offering nothing to do with the OP is beyond me. But oh so predictable.

remshooter
August 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
Why the LCP haters have to polute every thread with their opinions offering nothing to do with the OP is beyond me. But oh so predictable.

I am confused.:confused:
I went back and read all the post and didn't see one that said anything about hating the LCP.
What did I miss?

bennnn
August 15, 2008, 10:08 PM
Agreed. That is why I wont by a Ruger LCP or a Kel-Tec.

It wasn't that harsh,, just seems like one guys preferance and opinion.

dispatcher
August 15, 2008, 11:13 PM
I don't own an LCP, but I did have a KelTec 3AT for a couple of years. Probably the main reason I traded it was the lack of a side lock. That made it a real bitch to field strip and when you went cold on a range, it took two hands to hold the slide back and your third hand to insert a spent cartridge or flag into the ejection port.
I like an automatic slide lock on an empty chamber, but there are compromises required to keep a pistol that small. I will probably look seriously at the LCP as the become more available and tested by all you guys.

Bill DeShivs
August 16, 2008, 12:59 AM
You don't need a slide lock to strip a P3AT.

fisherman66
August 16, 2008, 05:58 AM
Quote:
This is news to me. I have two and neither require doing this.

I guess my mag release button is a little stiff. I didn't want to slam the mag home for fear of breaking something.

BTW, I bought a P3AT mag and +1 extension since the LCP mags are so hard to come by 'round here. Hopefully the reports I have read are correct and the Kel-Tec mags will work. If so, I'll fill in the 1/8" gap with epoxy putty and round off the back of the extension with the same putty. The +1 is nice, but I really wanted a pinky holder.