PDA

View Full Version : Cynergy Feather vs Citori 525 Feather

maplewiede
August 7, 2008, 12:54 AM
I've hunted all my life with a pump and am about to purchase an o/u. I'm looking at either the Cynergy Feather or the Citori 525 feather. Any recommendations? I'm planning to buy the 12 ga 28"

scotts_4x
August 7, 2008, 11:30 PM
get the one that fits you best and doesn't look like it came out of star wars. my $.02

-Scott

maplewiede
August 8, 2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks Scott.
I've heard that the Cynergy may have had a few problems, do you know anything about those problems?

BigJimP
August 8, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm a big Browning fan / and own a variety of their guns. Initially, I was not wild about the styling of the Cynergy - but I'll admit I've warmed up to it a little vs the more traditional line of Citori's.

To my knowledge there have been very few, if any, problems with the Cynergy lineup. It is different than the Citori lineup ( 525 series, XS, XT, etc ) - the barrel connection to the receiver does not have the trunion and big hinge pin, the triggers internally are different, springs different, etc and it has an integral recoil pad that is very different. But by all accounts, in its relatively short life now of a few years - the Cynergy is holding up well.

The 525 series, and the new 625 series, are traditional Citori designs. All of the guns in the Citori line have different dimensions - different drop at comb, at heel, etc. - so you need to know what fits you and what doesn't - do you need a paralell comb or how much drop at comb or at heel , do you need an adj comb for cast on or off stock or to move comb up or down.

I think either of these guns, if they fit you, will be good guns. I like the look of both of them - but for different reasons - and that's up to you of course. They look very different from each other.

These days I like a gun that really versatile - in a 12ga - I like a 30" barrel, and a paralell comb ( paralell to the rib ) and one with an adjustable comb. I also like a gun that's around 8 1/2 lbs - especially if I'm shooting heavier loads. I want a gun that has ported barrels - and extended chokes. For me, that is the XS Skeet model in the citori lineup. Its a great field gun, good solid sporting clays gun and a very good skeet gun / it'll even serve pretty well at Trap. I like that model in a 12 and 20ga - but the 12ga is more versatile than a 20ga these days with the variety of loads out there.

You need to decide based on what fits you - so the point of impact is where you are looking - one size does not fit all / we are all different. Good luck and have fun making your selection. You might try your local gun club - and talk to some local shooters and see if they will let you fire their Cynergy or 525 and see what you think from there.

maplewiede
August 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I did buy the Cynergy Feather, 12 ga 28" and although I've not had a change to fire it yet it is a nice gun and fits well.

I have to tell you what my wife asked when I told her I was buying an O/U.

She asked "Why do you want an O/U gun?" I was not sure what my answer should be but wanted to make sure that I was still going to be able to buy the gun. So I said that one of the greatest challenges to bird hunting is to be able to shoot two birds at the same time when they are flying one above the other.

Little did I think that she would belive this but she did and responded with "So you have to have an O/U to be able to do that" she assumed that you fired both shots at the same time to do this. At this point I could not contain myself and burst out laughing. She still belived what I had said.

sjeeperman
August 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have had a Cynergy for 2 yrs now. I love mine. I have the 12ga, 28", ported, adj comb. I think they call it the "Sporting" version ? ;)

LanceOregon
August 21, 2008, 09:49 PM
Get a top notch autoloader like one of the new second generation Beretta 391 Urika 2 guns that came out last year, or one of the newer Benelli autoloaders like the Cordoba or SuperSport. They will cost less than your O/U. A lot less recoil means faster follow-up shots, and 3 shots instead of only 2. The gun will be lighter and easier to carry, too. I absolutely hate shotgun recoil myself, which is why I ended up preferring autoloaders. I was also raised shooting a Browning Auto-5.

I know two fellows who have bought the SuperSport, and they both absolutely love it. If I had to own only one shotgun, I think I would have to get it. I got a chance to shoot it, and it was pretty amazing. It comes in either a high tech synthetic stock that looks awesome, or traditional wood. The workmanship and finish on the gun is incredible to behold:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/benelli.jpg

I own a number of Berettas myself, and love all of them. These include two Deluxe model 390's, one early generation 391 Urika Gold Sporting, and one later generation 391 Urika Gold Sporting that has the newer improved Beretta/Benelli choke system.

The workmanship on Benelli and Beretta autoloaders are way above any others. You can pick up one of the Benellis for about $1,600, and one of the Beretta 391 Urika 2 Golds for $1,350 You can find the basic 391 Urika 2 field models starting as low as $750

My older Beretta 390's are both true works of art, as you can see here in this photo of them:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/beretta_390s_email1.jpg

And here is a photo of my two hunting shotguns. I use a Beretta Extrema Waterfowl model for ducks and geese and occasionally varmints, and use one of my 391 Gold Sportings for upland game:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/two.jpg