PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870 threading cylinder bbl for REM choke

bodieBill
August 4, 2008, 01:35 AM
I have a Rem M870 Express Magnum 12 home defense with 18-1/2" bbl in cylinder bore.
I would like to have the bbl threaded for REM Choke using an improved cylinder for Buck shot and rifled slugs.

Then use an extened rifled choke for hunting with slugs.

Any problems with this plan and comments please.

rem870hunter
August 4, 2008, 04:26 AM
i have had a similar idea. it doesn't sound like a bad one either. but be sure to check your f&w regs to make sure that you can use slugs with a bead sighted barrel. nj you must have a scope or adjustable sights on the shotgun to even posses slug(s) in the field. i asked a similar question a while back and got a link to a guy who can thread barrels. looked cheaper than buying a rifle sighted barrel that uses choke tubes already. which i have for my 870 wm mag.

TxGun
August 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
These folks will do the work:

http://www.briley.com/index.asp

Scattergun Bob
August 4, 2008, 07:15 PM
I have a couple of left over 870 barrels threaded for patternmaster buckshot chokes. They are very good buckshot shooters and consistently produce 6 1/2 " patterns at 20 yrds. Many years ago we contracted to do an entire police department's 870 inventory with these chokes. I found that the real issue was uneven wall thickness in the barrels so some needed to be replaced.

Try Hans Vang in AZ

if you are no the west coast, Dave Lazzerini in the Santa Clara area knows shotguns.

mikenbarb
August 5, 2008, 05:14 PM
Its a good idea but you could get a barrel for what they carge to install them. You might want to just pick up an extra barrel. Alot are for sale in longer lengths because everyone is putting 18-20" on thier guns and selling the standard ones.