PDA

View Full Version : Script errors

olegunftr
January 3, 1999, 10:13 AM
starting yesterday, 1-2-99, i started getting said errors every time i go back or change groups.

------------------
Vinny

fal308
January 3, 1999, 10:43 AM
I also started receiving the following syntax

Control Characters removed by Rich Lucibella to attempt to correct display problems.

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 01-03-99).]

Rich Lucibella
January 3, 1999, 11:41 AM
We will look into it. Thanks.
Rich

longhair
January 3, 1999, 12:11 PM
yeah, what they said. java error, line 16 & java error line 12

------------------
fiat justitia

olegunftr
January 3, 1999, 12:38 PM
yep

------------------
Vinny

Mikey
January 3, 1999, 01:17 PM
me too!

Rich Lucibella
January 3, 1999, 01:38 PM
When are you guys getting these errors? I've not been able to replicate them.

I'd appreciate your help in trying the following.
-Shut down and reopen your browser
-Go to http://www.thefiringline.com
-Reload the page (Shift/Reload) in Netscape.
-Enter the Forums and report back whether you're encountering the problem

Also, if you do get an error, please hit your "Print Screen" key while viewing the error message.
Load MS Word (for those that have it) and hit "CNTRL/V" to paste the screen snapshot into a Word document.
Email it to me. This will help considerably.
Thanks again.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 01-03-99).]

spark@onestopknifeshop.com
January 3, 1999, 04:15 PM
Rich, just so you know, I've been getting these errors as well, and I use Netscape 4.5

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com

ATM
January 3, 1999, 04:50 PM
Rich -

Thought you might like to hear from someone who has not had these errors.

I have not had any errors, and I use Netscape 4.5. Good luck hunting, could it ne the ISP causing the problem? Pardon my ignorance if not.

Grayfox
January 3, 1999, 05:03 PM
I,m getting these error messages too. I'm using AOL 4.0. It says script error/ syntax error line 16. Hope you figure it out.

Rich Lucibella
January 3, 1999, 06:26 PM
The following is from the Software Developers:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>*Attention UBB Owners*
=================
As 1999 came in the Ultimate Bulletin Board suffered a JavaScript error
which causes your cookies, members last read preferences and light bulbs to
fail to work. Tech Support has the fix for this problem and can repair your
UBB and return it back to normal. Contact us via email and request the fix
for your UBB if you wish to have this done by our tech team. There will be a
charge of $10.00 for the script rewrite and fix per UBB and we will schedule
you as soon as possible...[/quote]

We're working on it.
Rich

JJB
January 3, 1999, 07:59 PM
Glad to hear you're working on it. And they did say that Y2K problems might start in Y99.

Just for your working information, using Internet Explorer 4.0 I've been getting the following message since yesterday any time I opened a Forum from the "Firing Line Forums" page and any time I returned to a forum from a thread inside that forum.And just now also when returning to the thread after posting this reply.

The message reads:
"Internet Explorer Script Error.
An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 16
Char: 1
Error: Syntax Error
Code: 0"

And that is the whole of it.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

[This message has been edited by JJB (edited 01-03-99).]

January 3, 1999, 09:11 PM
Ditto the preceeding error notice.

Tried all the reload hooee - didn't work.

Error notice occurs when moving from top-level summary page into any of the forums. Offers option to continue script on page or not. Yes results in forum thread summary page shown; whereas, no results in only partial page loaded, at an extremely long load time.

(ps: error notice also occurs immediately after clicking the submit button in posting.)

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 01-03-99).]

Dennis
January 3, 1999, 09:40 PM
Know y'all are working on it - but the problem's still there at the moment on Internet Explorer 4.5.
I got off the internet.
Ran Explorer and wiped out cookies, history, favorites, and temporary internet files.
Got ON internet.
Went to View. Wiped out history and files.
Typed in http://www.thefiringline.com
Refreshed once.
hit enter.
Java problem still there.

Rich Lucibella
January 3, 1999, 09:50 PM
Dennis-
That's the type of info we need to fix this. Thanks so much.
Promise to have it done by Tuesday, at the *latest*; with luck, by Monday AM.
Rich

4V50 Gary
January 3, 1999, 10:44 PM
Yes, please fix it. It's driving me nuts and I may be going postal! Thankfully our benevolent political fathers in Washington restricts us to 10 round magazines and CA makes me wait 10 days. I'm still struggling to get the trigger locks off the guns which are already in my possession. The best for the last: Imagine the rampage & carnage I'd cause if I had a flash suppressor on a rifle and a bayonet mount? ;)

Jeff Thomas
January 4, 1999, 12:09 AM
Rich - I'm glad they'll only charge you $10 to fix THEIR software. What a deal, eh? Must have been one of those 90 day warranties. ;)

I'm using IE 4.72.xxxx, tried the shutdown / reload advice, and still the same problem.

4V50 Gary - that's why I didn't buy a pre-ban AR-15. I was afraid I couldn't trust myself if I had a bayonet lug ... ;)

BTW, didn't 'going postal' get more expensive on January 1?

January 4, 1999, 12:41 AM
In all fairness, guys, the people who do the UBB software are very good at supporting their product. There is a fix for this problem out already, it's just a matter of getting it up and running on TFL without losing the changes needed that make this site unique.

Rich is indeed working on it, and I'll be lending him all the help that I can should he need it.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

4V50 Gary
January 4, 1999, 01:20 AM
God Bless you all.

Once again the world is safe for democracy and children will be playing in the streets as I discretely peel the duct tape holding my kitchen knife on the end of my rifle off now.

Rich Lucibella
January 4, 1999, 02:26 PM
We've upgraded to V 5.19 of the UBB Software. I'm hoping this will resolve your problems.

Please let us know either way.
Rich Lucibella

Dennis
January 4, 1999, 02:30 PM
Rich,
I did the same as before, came in thru "thefiringline" and, (I don't know how to say this),
OOOmyGaawwd! On "Forums" the background was purple! The print was sort of maroon. Same color on the list of threads! But on the thread itself, routine colors on white.
You poor guy. How are you going to explain THIS one? (note: giggles & teehees heard here...)
Purple for chrissake...
PS: When I "backed out" to Forums, all was okay, but when I again tried "Script errors", the "threads" BG was purple. Again, the "script errors" thread seem normal. Good luck.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 01-04-99).]

Rich Lucibella
January 4, 1999, 04:00 PM
Dennis-
I've been playing around with the colors...if you think purple was bad, you shoulda seen the hot pink! Removing it was the fastest move I've made in years!:0

Spark-
Thanks for standing by to bail me out. I think I got it.

Jeff-
Actually, the UBB guys are pretty ggod. The Patch is provided for free. The $10 charge was only if you wanted them to install it for you...a relatively straightforward task, unless you've customized the scripts, which we have.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 01-04-99).]

Jeff Thomas
January 4, 1999, 04:40 PM
Rich - I didn't mean to trash the UBB guys. I'm still in therapy for my sense of humor, and the bills are horrendous.

The site seems to be working great now. When I first signed on a few minutes ago it loaded very S L O W L Y ... But, now it's loading fine, it saved my preferences, and no more script errors. Thank you.

It's a good thing you verified the color changes reported by Dennis. We were going to suggest he take that conversation over to the 'legalize drugs' thread. Purple, eh? ;)

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-04-99).]

olegunftr
January 4, 1999, 09:07 PM
mine is now fixed. you can turn this one off

Thanks

Dennis
January 5, 1999, 10:38 AM
Rich,
Congratulations! All seems to be working at this end. Computer problems can be real buggers. Once upon a time I was comptroller for a computer R&D corp. It was real, it was fun, but it wasn't "real fun".

Jeff,
No drug problem - I really saw purple. Almost dropped my Shiner Bock! BTW, MY therapist says I have recovered from my schizophrenia - and so have I. (me, too, etc...)

JJB
January 5, 1999, 08:16 PM
Rich,
With the exception of the novel color combinations TFL seems to be working fine for me. I've had no script error messages since early Monday. Good work.

Dennis, Schizophrenia and multiple personality, too. That is too bad. Take your meds and go and sit quietly in the corner. We'll make arrangements to come and pick up your guns -- wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

Rich Lucibella
January 5, 1999, 11:47 PM
Jim-
Are you seeing strange color combos?
Rich

4V50 Gary
January 6, 1999, 12:42 AM
Rich,

The bottom third of the banner is blinking between black and picture. Make it go away. The duct tape kitchen knife isn't coming off until it's fixed.

Gary

Rich Lucibella
January 6, 1999, 01:05 AM
Gary-
OK, calm down...we'll get thru this together. Remember what we learned in group....deep breaths....breathe....gooooood. Exhale.

Now. I can't see what you see. What are your computer settings....right click on a blank area of your desktop; Click Properties; Click Settings....what's the color setings typed in the box?

Also, what browser are you using?
Rich

4V50 Gary
January 6, 1999, 01:44 AM
Rich,

I'm computer illiterate so please bear with me.

On my control panel, settings, I've got 256 colors with 96 dpi for font. On color, the spline is set to red.

Regarding browser, are you referring to AOL?

Gary

Rich Lucibella
January 6, 1999, 09:21 AM
Gary-
256 colors should be fine...though the colors will be a bit brighter than with "millions" or "true" color.

We need to get you some help in deleting the cookies for TFL so that your computer will load it fresh.

Can anyone help with this?
Rich

4V50 Gary
January 6, 1999, 10:54 AM
Logged back on this AM and no more blinking. I can get into the DOS mode and delete the cookies as an extra precaution. Thanks Rich.

Gary

Jeff Thomas
January 6, 1999, 10:15 PM
<blink><font color="purple">Dennis?</font> <font color="red">Rich?</font><font color="green">Gary?</font><font color="blue"> I like it here in Oz, but how do we get back to Kansas?</font></blink>

This isn't a sense of humor, it's a sickness ... the HTML flu. ;)

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-06-99).]

Rich Lucibella
January 6, 1999, 10:39 PM
Oy! :)

Dennis
January 7, 1999, 01:07 PM
Jeff Thomas, you RAT! :(
Here I am struggling to make with the smiley faces, fighting (poorly, I might add) with bold and italics and you go warp speed into COLOR! :o
I'm destroyed. Let me take my dumb-dumb award and I'll go home. (sobbing heard here)
Oh, shoot! (Rich, that's to make this GUN-related...)

Jeff Thomas
January 7, 1999, 04:35 PM
Dennis - actually (and he'll probably be sorry to hear this!), I learned this from Rich. I noticed he, and a few others, had some neat effects in their postings. While you cannot actually edit another member's posts, you can begin to by selecting 'edit' for their post. That's how I realized what Rich was doing, and recognized I could apparently write HTML anywhere in my posts.

Glad you liked it. Since I'm so damned ignorant about weapons, it may be the first chance I've had to look like I've got a qualifying IQ to post here! ;) Adios

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-07-99).]

Rich Lucibella
January 7, 1999, 10:53 PM
Actually guys, HTML is frowned upon as it can easily screw up the threads within the UBB software. Spark...if you read this, can you explain?
You all have been having such a good time here that I just couldn't be a spoil sport.

Under the FAQ section you'll find the UBB version of HTML code which allows you to perform limited, but adequate, functions. If you want to use the HTML for now, carry on. If you get in trouble, we'll fix it and charge you 3 TFL Dollars.
Rich

Jeff Thomas
January 8, 1999, 04:17 PM
Rich - I've gotten it out of my system now. I'll explore the UBB code, and, with the exception of URL's, I'll lay off the HTML goodies (good thing you told me - I had other ideas ;) ).

So, mum's the word. Besides, I think I've only got 2 TFL dollars, so I'm on thin ice. Adios

DC
January 10, 1999, 01:03 PM
Yeah guys, UBB code can do everything that HTML can in here, so its best to use it instead of HTML.
I wiped out a whole thread on another forum with a mere typo, and had Spark peeing bricks.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

January 16, 1999, 11:30 PM
Here's the skinny on UBB and HTML:

UBB code was designed by the author of this software to avoid thread destroying mistakes. When this software first came out, there was a rash of cases where people who knew enough HTML to hurt themselves took down long running threads, repeatedly. The author gave us the option to "turn off HTML" in the forums, and UBB code is intended to give partial HTML abilities, without all the hard code.

UBB code is much more forgiving of HTML, if you screw it up, it won't mess up the rest of the thread, it just won't work at all.

Hope this helps!

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Rich Lucibella
January 17, 1999, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the history and technicals, Spark.
"I knew that"....not!
Rich

Ed Brunner
January 18, 1999, 07:15 AM
Spark; You are a good man.

January 18, 1999, 11:22 PM
Nah, I'm just a man like any other.... :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

In any event, when in doubt, don't use HTML. Heck, for that matter, just don't use it period, unless you are absotively, posilutely sure that you will get it right the first time.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Dennis
January 21, 1999, 11:17 AM
Jeez, Spark. I'm not even sure I can spell something right the first time. (or second... etc.)

You sure do a heck of a job with TFL. From what I've seen of other BBs and Chat lines, you must feel somewhat alone in the 21st century.

I (and at least SOME others) wrongfully forget your expertise and efforts because YOUR work is so transparent we concentrate on gun-related subjects. I (we) should recognize it is your technical expertise and Rich's guidance that make TFL the best on the net.

For that, all of us really owe BOTH of you a sincere and more frequent "Thank you".