PDA

View Full Version : Latest Mall Ninja special???

rantingredneck
August 1, 2008, 09:04 PM
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/55605.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&section=products

What exactly is a barrel stabilizer?? Do shotgun barrels require stabilization??

:barf:

w_houle
August 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
Take that stupid thing off of the end and make it stainless steel and I will buy one.

rantingredneck
August 1, 2008, 09:28 PM
Well it's the stupid thing on the end I'm trying to figure out. :confused:

Is this to target the 15 year olds who saw "No Country For Old Men" and just have to have a shotgun with a fake silencer on it??

Gnarly
August 1, 2008, 09:31 PM
rantingredneck,

Up until now, none of mine had never SEEN a shotgun barrel stabilizer!

Please delete the picture before they get any ideas.

<too late; I hear grumblings & mutterings from the gunsafe>:mad:

----Gnarly

hoytinak
August 1, 2008, 09:34 PM
The sad thing is that they've prolly sold hundreds already to people that don't know any better. And someone might even post about it here thinking they just got the greatest "tactical" shotgun accessory ever.

rantingredneck
I'm a practical guy, somebody splain this to me before my head explodes from trying to figure it out.

I get the whole breacher barrel thing, even though most of the folks buying them will probably never breach a door, but this is just :barf:

w_houle
I think you answered your own question!

rantingredneck
August 1, 2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid so too.

I was hoping Mossberg would at least have some BS explanation for the "barrel stabilizer".

Gnarly
August 1, 2008, 09:44 PM
you can bet it IS endorsed by Barack....part of the kinder,gentler image he'd like us to display.It's held in place by quick-setting plaster of paris,extended down the barrel as far as the firing pin.Since it's soft rubber,you can use the gun as a club if your home is overrun by bad people....

----Gnarly

ssilicon
August 1, 2008, 09:46 PM
Barrel Stabalizer is code for BS.

rantingredneck
August 1, 2008, 09:55 PM
Now that's funny. Best explanation I've heard so far.

Imagine a room full of Mossberg marketing and design people:

"OK so we've got this new silencer looking thing we can bolt on to the barrel to attract all the mall ninjas."

"They'll sell by the truckload"

"OK so what do we call this silencer looking thing on the end"

"We can't call it a silencer, mall ninjas don't want to pay the transfer tax"

"We can't call it a fake silencer, because the fake qualifier takes the tacticool rating of the gun down by 54 points in our market research study"

"So what are we gonna call this B---S---??"

"BS, Barrel Stub? No, Bolt on Scrap? No, too honest, Barrel Stabilizer??, Ding ding we have a winner......."

flyby
August 2, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hehe ..yea the Ninjas will surely be going bananas over that one :eek: :D

hogdogs
August 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
In theory it will act like a hugegantic muzzle brake but it will also have hugegantic excess noise for the shooter too... It is also a good way to lose the use of your bead sight too...:eek: But we all know you ain't gotta aim a "showty shotty".
Brent

SilentHitz
August 2, 2008, 10:08 AM
Great idea, take a compact shotgun...and make it longer, genius.:rolleyes: As already stated, the Mall Ninjas will be lining up for it though.:barf:

BS describes the folks who buy this...Barely Sane.

J.Smith
August 2, 2008, 10:09 AM
Coming soon to a 7-11 robbery near you.

SilentHitz
August 2, 2008, 10:14 AM
Coming soon to a 7-11 robbery near you. That would be funny as hell, if it weren't probably true.;) Some idiot may just do that.

RedneckFur
August 2, 2008, 12:47 PM
"As seen on No Country for Old Men! Act now and get a matching, tacti-kool flat black bipod and bayonet!"

New_Pollution1086
August 3, 2008, 12:30 AM
I threw up a little when i saw it then started laughing, b/c my buddy said that is sooooo cool.

I almost hit him.

T

olddrum1
August 3, 2008, 10:09 PM
If the barrel was a little longer or I was a little shorter I could play mini golf with it.

Gecko45
August 4, 2008, 11:13 AM
It's understandable that civies such as yourselves do not understand the delicate harmonic balancing required for precision shotgun work. Make no mistake, these stabilizers can be dangerous upgrades in the wrong hands, transforming a harmless 12 guage shotgun into an instrument of lethal efficiency.

I recently confiscated two of these from Guatemalan gangbangers running an illegal weapons market behind the OJ in my retail environment. It was a good thing that an operator found them, because they really could have done some damage if the local muni-police had intervened.

Interestingly, there were a number of neo-Nazis in the immediate vicinity when I took the gangbangers down. Perhaps the aryan-nation types are gearing for something major.

Magnum Wheel Man
August 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
HA!!! you guys are just trying to talk me out of buying that kewl new shottie...

there is a bead on the front ( probably even carrys the right thread pitch to screw in a tritium bead )... gots ta get me one of those new pump straps too while I'm at it...

don't care how much money it costs... it would be mine if the stabizer incorporated a bayonette lug... for sure...:cool:

Vanya
August 5, 2008, 06:34 PM
I think they deserve a lot of credit for having the courage to admit that their barrels are unstable. And if the short barrels need a stabilizer, think how much worse the long ones must be.

Oh, duh -- I guess that's what the vent rib is for... :)

Rampant_Colt
August 5, 2008, 07:24 PM
Isn't that used for door breaching?

ps ~ it's the heat shield that makes it "tacticool" :cool:

rantingredneck
August 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
Isn't that used for door breaching?

No that ported toothed extended choke looking thing is used for breaching. This is used for comedy apparently. :D.

At least I hope no one is taking it seriously......:confused:

Vanya
August 6, 2008, 03:48 PM
I see an opportunity here for a new TV series: "Pimp My Weapon."

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 6, 2008, 03:58 PM
Is that the original gecko45??

Vanya
August 6, 2008, 06:30 PM
Is that the original gecko45??

I hope so. I'd hate to think it's some Mall Ninja wannabe.

hogdogs
August 6, 2008, 06:41 PM
While funny it is not fake... Straight up real life available from Mossberg...
Brent

JRNC26
August 6, 2008, 07:06 PM
I seen one at a gun show a couple weeks ago.I thought it was for launching golf balls:D

banditt007
August 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
Its actually not used when shooting the gun. how it works is this. when you take the gun home, you use the quick detach feature this thing has, take it off and give it to your friend. According to mossbergs instructions (.pdf file) you are then to verbally command your friend to beat you over the head with it as hard as possible.

rantingredneck
August 26, 2008, 06:03 PM
I actually saw one of these things first hand at the Greensboro NC show this past weekend. Only thing different was that the "barrel stabilizer" had a full length picatinny rail running underneath it. :eek:

I saw it and walked away from the table laughing like a madman. I'm sure the dealer was not happy with me. I just couldn't help myself. :D.

Kreyzhorse
August 26, 2008, 06:38 PM
Certainly a big seller with the Extreme Mall Ninja Tactical crowd....

The real world will pass on it. Freakin' terrible.:barf:

spacemanspiff
August 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
I can hear it already....

"Ban Them! It has a Barrel Stabilizer to stabilize the birdshot in flight, making it more deadly!
Ban Them! It has a pistol grip to shoot from the hip, making it more deadly!
Ban Them! It can have a shoulder stock to aim shots, making it more deadly!"

Seriously, the ninnies put out propoganda about the last AWB that stated that having both a pistol grip for shooting from the hip and a collapsible shoulder stock for aimed shots both made the weapons even deadlier.
:rolleyes:

Didnt we all joke and laugh about making up names or products that sound or look real scary just to have a big laugh at their expense?

rantingredneck
August 26, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hey, I'm all for capitalism and marketing and all against bans. I'm gonna have a ball laughing at useless crapticool stuff though :D.

Rigby1962
August 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
Well it looks like Mossberg knows where its bread is buttered. Last week we got in a 500 with a pistol grip and painted in desert camo. It came with a matching piece of pvc pipe with compression plugs for the ends :rolleyes:. The idea I guess is to bury it in the back yard for whatever reason. Why its all painted in desert camo is beyond me? :confused:

tplumeri
August 26, 2008, 09:11 PM
you need the barrel stabilizer to compensate for the pistol grip for 100 yard targets.;)

Sparky33
August 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
Seems apparent to me that this is simplying for stablizing my 5 ft spray(you know cuz it's short barrelled) of #4 birdshot at the multiple BG's from across the 12ft room. :barf: How else am I going kill 3-4 baddies at once. Duh guys

On 2nd thought, Good for mossy take that mall ninja money. Jack up the price another $150-200 bucks for the tacticool factor.

Sarge
August 26, 2008, 09:51 PM
PAy attention, kids. Gecko-perhaps THE Gecko (http://www.coltcco.com/mnarchive/gecko45.htm)- has spoken and he's something of an authority on these subjects.

On the OT...wouldn't all those holes in the can make the grenade hit the ground about six feet in front of you? Now, I'm no authority on grenades- but ain't that a little close?