PDA

View Full Version : 870 versus 1187

Tatsumi67
August 1, 2008, 12:34 PM
Im certain that my next shotgun will be one of them. I already have two pumps so a semi would be a good test. If I recall I did not really enjoy the semis that I have fired because of the inherent less-controllability with the automatic. However alot of people say that you get used to it. I guess I just need practice?

Opinions?

Scorch
August 1, 2008, 01:26 PM
If I recall I did not really enjoy the semis that I have fired because of the inherent less-controllability with the automatic.Care to explain that one? I have never heard anyone claim semiautos were less controllable. A semiauto is a great choice, and the 11-87 is a good gun. They get used by trap and skeet shooters, sporting clays shooters, law enforcement, hunters, etc.

BigJimP
August 1, 2008, 06:45 PM
Semi-autos are not "less controllable" ......they have issues / but so do pump guns - and over unders .... I don't understand your point either ?

rantingredneck
August 1, 2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I don't get the less controllability thing either.

I have both an 870 and an 11-87. I've owned several 870's over the years among other pumps and an 1100 or two. The autos always shoot softer IMO.
The 11-87 action in particular is very easy on the shoulder with heavy loads. Easy followup shots too.

Ruger4570
August 1, 2008, 10:01 PM
I too have a problem with your statement about LESS control with a semi auto. Especially with a Remington or a Berreta gas semi. I have a Rem 870 and a Ithaca 37 and there is NO WAY in this little world that I cannot shoot my 1100, 11-87 or Berreta 390 with "LESS" control. Maybe you did a Hillery Clinton and simply mis spoke. By any chance, are you running for a political office? :D

Lavid2002
August 1, 2008, 10:04 PM
I love pumps. If I ever need to borrow a semi, Im set : D But im quick as all get out with a pump. If I shoot faster than I can rack the action im either shooting one duck too many times or wasting ammo. I can fly with this puppy.

Ruger4570
August 1, 2008, 10:27 PM
Guys that are SOLD on pumps are a breed apart. I know for a fact I can shoot my semi FASTER than anyone I have met and bet on that. I can shoot my O/U faster than any pump man I have met too. I have a Ithaca 37, actually 2 of them and a couple of 870's, I like them for their purposes, not necessarly better than my semi's. In fact, if I had to choose, I would dump the pumps and stick with the semi's. Having had both for many years, semis will function faster than a pump. So what? When in life does a split second in shooting make all that difference? If that split second DOES make a difference, I'll go with my semi's or O/U's
I KNOW the truth as opposed to the BS about this ongoing crap of Semi vs pump.
Pumpers, just GIVE it up. You can't pump faster than my auto will cycle and certainly not as fast as my O/U. Ya think you are good. place the bet and meet me at my club. Oh,, I don't take checks, just cash.

b.thomas
August 1, 2008, 11:03 PM
I own both a Wingmaster 870 AND a 1187 skeet shotgun.
Both are equally controlable..............anyone that says they aren't, don't know what the he!! their talking about!
end of rant!;)

Edward429451
August 2, 2008, 12:37 AM
I used to own an 11/87 premier and still own an 870. Their both equally controllable with the 11/87 being softer on the shoulder.

the45er
August 3, 2008, 08:37 AM
Since about half of the nationally recognized sporting clays shooters prefer autoloaders, I don't think "controlability" is an issue. However, two things drive me crazy with autoloaders - (1) that sensation of feeling the breech bolt cycle during recoil, and (2) slinging hulls all over the place (I reload). Neither of these are "big deals" though, and I admit, autoloaders have a lot of nice attributes.

olddrum1
August 3, 2008, 11:03 PM
A friend of mine says something similar about autos. He does not say controlability but he says the cycling is a distraction for him. Says that it feels like a file in his gun. He owns an auto every year or two but they never stay. Gets given to the kids or traded. 870 and 700X was his thing.

olddrum1
August 3, 2008, 11:06 PM
If you already have pumps the choice is easy.

skit
August 12, 2008, 01:30 AM
i'd never trade back to an 870 after getting the 1187. great gun

T.A.Sharps
August 12, 2008, 09:25 PM
I KNOW the truth as opposed to the BS about this ongoing crap of Semi vs pump.
Pumpers, just GIVE it up.

Wow, this guy needs to switch to decaf. Everyone here, accept the OP was pro semiauto.

I'm kinda interrested in the OP's respose to all this though.

Tatsumi67
August 13, 2008, 02:11 PM
I really dont have a bias toward either, but I guess I would be pro pump because thats what im proficient with. The point and question of this thread was this: "I am only buying one more shotgun, and im stuck between the 870 or 1187, should I just round out the spectrum and make it the semi or not?"

I guess i should not have called it a versus thread. But please, one answer.

joegator
August 13, 2008, 07:02 PM
I own an 870 and an 11-87. No control problems with either. If you're going to spend a lot of time on the target range the 11-87 has the advantage. It is softer on the shoulder and faster for shooting doubles on skeet, althought pumps can be used for skeet with great success.

The only complaint I have with the 11-87 is cleaning it. The gas system gets pretty gunked up even after a few rounds and the gas rings can be a pain to clean. If I were to buy another auto I'd look at the inertia guns such as the Benelli rather than another gas port but thats just my preference. Alot of guys prefer the gas operated Berettas and Remis over the inertia guns.