PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Defender

up4achallenge
July 30, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hello,

I have inherated a shotgun from an uncle and was wondering if anyone out there could help me with identifcation and possible worth of the gun. It is a pump shotgun with an 18" barrel.

The wording on the gun says Winchester Defender 12 Ga. There is very little additional information on the gun. I am told the gun has never been fired and it is over 20 years old. It looks like it is brand new. No scratches or dings.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me!!

vdog45
July 30, 2008, 05:45 AM
Does it look like this Weapon? - http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=109

up4achallenge
July 30, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hi,

No, it has a brown wood stock and pump part. I did a lot of looking last night on the internet and believe it to be a Winchester 1200. I have no idea of year of manufacturer. Does anyone have any idea of value? Again it looks brand new and I was told it has never been fired.

Rampant_Colt
July 30, 2008, 09:55 AM
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1737/winchester1300defenderss1.jpg

sounds like a Model 1200 or 1300 to me - they're worth $200-$300

Pahoo
July 30, 2008, 11:29 AM
If your gun says; Defender, then it is what it is. I know of one for sale at $250.00. Sythetic all arond, Like new, in the box with all papers.

Be Safe !!!

Sidewinder6
July 30, 2008, 11:48 AM
I have a Winchester 1200 Defender with a 18" barrel and pistol grip. Wood foregrip. Holds 4 rounds. Its worth about $200 give or take market fluctuations. I want to say, mine is about 15 years old.

http://i36.tinypic.com/fem9h3.jpg

crucible
July 30, 2008, 02:34 PM
I've got a older Defender too: full wood stock and full-length factory extended magazine with an 18" barrel. Mine just says "Defender" too and I also came to the conclusion its a 1200.

It's reliable, fast to shuck and very quick to point and it's in the "not getting rid of catagory". About the only thing I've done with it is replace the old recoil pad with a Limbsaver.

C-

Creature
July 30, 2008, 03:07 PM
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/winchester_1200.jpg

Winchester 1200 Defender which was the base for the 1300 design.

katana8869
July 30, 2008, 05:31 PM
The Defender is a very good home defense shotgun. The action is smooth and they are uber reliable. I had a 1200 that went away with wife #1 :mad:

I would not mind finding another one one day.

up4achallenge
July 31, 2008, 12:56 AM
Creature......

That is it!

Mine has a little darker wood, but that photo is right on.

From what I am reading it seems like it is a gun I should consider keeping. I have never owned a shotgun. I own a Ruger MKIII Hunter that I plink with in the desert here in Arizona, but that is about the extent of my knowledge of guns.

Is the defender good for much beyond home defense? Can one shoot skeet with it, or is the barrel too short? If I choose to keep it for home defense, what kind of shells should I load in it? I keep the Ruger in the nightstand by the bed, but "in a pinch" I would have to think a shotgun would do a better job of persuading someone that my home is not the one they would want to continue to be in.....

Thank you to everyone for answering my questions and helping me identify the shotgun!

up4achallenge
July 31, 2008, 12:58 AM
Crucible,

Would you be kind enough to explain what a full-length factory extended magazine is? How would one know if they had one?

Thanks!

Creature
July 31, 2008, 11:14 AM
1200/1300s are okay...but not as rugged as say a rem 870 or Moss 500/590, but the "speed bolt" design makes for quick action. I traded my 1300 for a 590A1...

crucible
July 31, 2008, 12:48 PM
Up, if the photo Creature posted is the one you have, you should have the factory extended mag, as do I :)

I believe mine has 2.75" chamber, so those shells should work fine. For HD use, look for decent quality 2.75" O or OO buckshot (low recoil or regular) and test them to see how much they spread with your firearm at given distances; each shotgun is different with different loadings, and no doubt yours will shoot better with some than others. You can use birdshot for practice shooting too, but you should know exactly how your HD loading performs. (Also, if slugs are interesting to you, try rifled slugs too (not sabot slugs...you have a smoothbore and sabot slugs are for rifled shotgun barrels).....the versatility of the shotgun is one of its strengths.)

Speaking of testing, if yours has the original recoil pad, you may want to swap it out with a more modern one like a Limbsaver, etc.; most definitely learn what a proper shoulder mount is as you'll pay otherwise:)

While, I"m sure you could try to shoot skeet with it, you'd get dirty looks from the high brow crowd as it isn't a "sporting" shotgun by any means. Also, as your shotgun is not equipped with changeable chokes as is what's called cylinder bore, you might not do very well (but you'd have a ball trying).

It's a fine shotgun and will do good service as a HD firearm.

C-

up4achallenge
August 1, 2008, 12:06 AM
Crucible,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me such a detailed answer. I think I will run out tomorrow and buy some shells. Then this weekend I will try out all of your suggestions.

Thank you again for all of your help!!!