PDA

View Full Version : Home defense load for a Mossberg 590?

JayDubyaGee
July 29, 2008, 02:02 PM
I picked up my first shotgun, a Mossberg 590 (Model#50645). Its purpose in life is to supplement my home defense handguns, so I'm looking for the forum's recommendation for an appropriate load for this purpose. There are a lot of choices (slugs, shot, 3 inch 2.75inch, etc) out there, would like to understand the tradeoffs.

hogdogs
July 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
00Buck in my 12ga for the first 5 rounds... the final is a slug. I buy the cheap walmart 2 3/4 inch stuff. Plenty of lead and powder for HD. No chance that patterning will be a factor at the short distance I would be shooting so it does not matter to me what my gun/barrel *likes to shoot*.
Since I cannot find 00buck for my 20ga I use the #3buck from walmart copper plated shot. I back 5 of those up with a slug as well.
Again 2 3/4 inch.
Brent

wjkuleck
July 29, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hornady TAP FPD.

Regards,

Walt

theghostrider
July 29, 2008, 10:57 PM
Both Winchester and Federal make low recoil buck. So does Remington. I've seen the Winchester low recoil at Gander Mountain for $30 for a box of 25. I'm sure there are other manufactures making low recoil. OTH, if your out in the sticks, and over penetration isn't a problem, and you can handle the recoil, there are some 3" loads with a higher number of pellets.

Retiredatforty
July 29, 2008, 11:01 PM
I load #1 Buck, rather than the traditional 00 Buck.

00 Buck = .32 cal, quantity 9

#1 Buck = .30 cal, quantity 16

Code3GT
July 30, 2008, 01:15 AM
Same for me, 00-Buck, last one's a slug...2 3/4 Winchester. Same setup for the sidesaddle SHTF reload option

Rampant_Colt
July 30, 2008, 10:14 AM
Federal Flite-Control 00 and 000 reduced recoil buckshot generally give best the patterns. Remington, Winchester and Hornady all make excellent low recoil buckshot. 3" magnums simply are not necessary. They reduce magazine capacity, recoil HARD, and are slower for follow up shots.

OR

Find out what your local PD uses

Reduced recoil slugs are another excellent choice. I keep Federal reduced recoil Hydra-Shok slugs in the sidesaddle

@ anybody suggesting using birdshot in a defensive situation - get a clue, 'cause telling someone to use ammunition not properly suited for the task is dangerous and irresponsible :mad:

rantingredneck
July 30, 2008, 10:24 AM
My advice, Buy a box each of several brands and head to the range with a patterning board. I like to know what my patterns look like at 7, 15, and 25 yards.

My best results with my Remington 870, 11-87, and Mossberg 500 have been with Federal 127 00 (Flite control 00 buck, 9 pellet), and Remington Managed Recoil 8 pellet 00 buck. Standard Remington 9 pellet 00 buck doesn't do too bad, though and is typically cheaper and more readily available. Winchester "WinLite" loads haven't been too bad either.

That all being said, you're shotgun is not my shotgun and each tends to have it's own preferences. Experiment with several loads. You'll know what your gun likes and gain familiarity with the gun itself in the process.

JayDubyaGee
July 31, 2008, 11:02 AM
any recommendations on desired choke tubes for the recommended home defense loads?

rantingredneck
July 31, 2008, 11:05 AM
At home defense ranges choke won't matter much. I'd play around with the I/C and Mod chokes and see which one throws the best patterns with the load you decide on. My 870 and 11-87 are I/C, my mossberg 500 stays with the Mod choke in the barrel. Inside the confines of my house the differences will be minimal.