PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet on an 870?

chickenman
July 29, 2008, 11:38 AM
First post here.....I want to add a bayonet on my 870. Why you ask... just because. There has been talk about a kind of lug to use to make this happen but I have a mag extension. Anyone know?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/drmjones11/IMG_0899.jpg

Joat
July 29, 2008, 12:45 PM
The Bayonet lug is to mil spec NATO for standard M16, M4 C7, C8 bayonets.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34581&stc=1&d=1217353387
It replaces the current barrel/magazine band. http://www.sjhardware.com/870Bayo.html

Joat:D

sporty06
July 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
Remington did make a factory bayo lug that went over a +3 extension on a 20" barrel but they are hard to find and pretty expensive.

chickenman
July 29, 2008, 01:08 PM
thanks yall.

What does the entire set up look like? What style of bayonet.

mikenbarb
July 29, 2008, 08:50 PM
Im sure it looks silly and im still asking myself why?:confused: But whatever floats your boat. Chaaaaaarge!;)

daveydoo
July 29, 2008, 08:55 PM
tried to fit a m7 to 590 noted the ring is too small, must be for a m9 bayonet.

Ruger4570
July 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
Bayonet on a shotgun???? Just load a few more rounds. Talk about useless Tackycool...

T.A.Sharps
July 29, 2008, 09:31 PM
Wow, that is awsome, I want that next time I go party hunting deer.

Imagine the sh!t you can give everyone else if you get a deer with the bayonet!

Scattergun Bob
July 29, 2008, 10:00 PM
Please only use this as fluff, the original bayonet attachment for a M870 was a massive support piece I remember to be 2 1/2 to 3" long and fully locked and supported the mag extension to the barrel. Had one in southeast Asia for awhile, fitted a M-7 bayonet.

I would be concerned about springing the mag extension if I did any serious frog gigging with that new fangled piece.:)

Good Luck & Be Safe

Icopy1
August 1, 2008, 06:33 AM
There's a seller on Ebay who occasionally sells the original military version. It sells for approx 200 with shipping.

spoolup
August 1, 2008, 04:46 PM
Here is a photo of the M870 and the bayonet mount. Yes they are expensive, I seen a few for $600. Yeah its overkill. I have 4 870s, and acutally bought a M590A1 because one can neer own enough guns, they are stout as hell (as is the 870), and yes it holds a bayonet.

The M870 I was talking about
http://mauser98.com/12-gauge-dvic519.jpg
http://mauser98.com/870trenchsmall.jpg
http://mauser98.com/870mk1right.jpg

My 590
http://home.comcast.net/%7Eutspoolup/M590withblade_resized.JPG

L_Killkenny
August 1, 2008, 05:42 PM
too funny!!!

LK

RedneckFur
August 1, 2008, 06:11 PM
Bayonett on a shotgun? Its not April first...:eek::confused:

chickenman
August 1, 2008, 07:03 PM
spoolup,
I am not a Mossberg fan but might be now. Do tell more....what is thelug/mag deal you have going on there?

LK,
Overkill? Why not right?

spoolup
August 1, 2008, 09:27 PM
The mossies are easy, just a standard 590 with accessory lug.... I guess thats the political way of say bayonet lug since thats about all it can hold really. Its the M590A1, model 51668, which has the heavy barrel, ghost ring sights, speed feed stock, 8 shot tube, 20" barrel. Then I threw on a Lancay M9-LW bayonet. Will ever be used. No. Does it turn heads... oh yeah. I also thew on Vangs oversized saftey and their follower since the photo. I still have a factory parked heat shield to toss on there just havent had the drive to modify it to fit since they do not easily fit the heavy barrel but can be done. Its my only mossie and I am very happy with it. Even without the blade it still looks sharp

http://home.comcast.net/~utspoolup/HD_shotties_resized.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~utspoolup/what_they_are.JPG

M24 from ARF.com has this photo of his with the shield.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_0517.jpg

arizona98tj
August 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
30 some years ago, when I was doing an 8 year hitch in the Navy, I worked at a small gun shop in Chesapeake, VA. I enjoyed shooting and this funded my habit without impacting the family budget.

One Saturday evening, after closing up shop, we cut off a section of barrel on an old trade-in 12 gauge Savage pump. I needed something to hunt deer with since VA had mostly shotgun hunting areas (where I hunted).

We finished the barrel shortening and then started joking around about a bayonet. I belonged to a nice gun club at the time and while I spent 95% of my range time with rifle and pistol, I would occasionally shoot a couple rounds of skeet. I was less than half the age of the typical skeet shooter and didn't have a high end over-under or side-by-side....and I didn't even one of those leather pads on the end of my shoot upon which to rest my shotgun. (more about this later)

So yeah....a bayonet was adapted to the Savage. An old German WWI rifle donated the original lug which was heavily modifed....and I got my first lesson on silver soldering. We had to modify the bayonet a bit to fit over the barrel, but that was pretty easy.

I still have the Savage and would never part with it....just too fun to shoot and it has for years been the icebreaker for many conversations with complete strangers. Besides that, those skeet shooters from 30 years ago didn't know what to think when I shot a round with the Savage, bayonet and all. After a station, I would stick it into the ground while the rest patiently waited their turn with their high $$ shotgun resting on that little leather pad. :)

Here are a couple of recent photos.....

http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/savage12-1.jpg

The lug we made. The bluing has worn off (I blued everything when we were done) since it was installed but given the number of times that bayonet has been on and off, it only means it has seen some use. :D

http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/savage12-2.jpg

branham700
August 2, 2008, 05:27 PM
where can you get a bayonet lug for a mossberg 500?

bclark1
August 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
You could always just employ BUIS (backup iron swords). I think Blackhawk makes a MOLLE attachment for katanas, scimitars and tactical-length dirks.

Naw, good luck with it. If you Macguyver something, let's see how it turns out ;)

chickenman
August 2, 2008, 07:33 PM
I want to add one BUT I also want the surefire setup. Im sure there is a rail deal I could hook up with a light and a bayoney but that looks like ass I think.

Thank you all.

mikenbarb
August 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
This is tooooo funny.LOL.:D Just get a nice military rifle that a bayonet belongs on. It will look alot nicer on an Enfield than on a tacticool shotty.:rolleyes:

arizona98tj
August 2, 2008, 10:32 PM
It will look alot nicer on an Enfield than on a tacticool shotty
Already did that too. I have a very nice Wilkinson Sword (London, England) manufactured bayonet on my 577/450 Martini Henry Enfield. The only problem with it is that it is sooooooooooooo long....talk about reaching out and touching some one. I find my Savage with its bayonet much easier to wield in confined spaces. ;)

hoytinak
August 2, 2008, 10:58 PM
chickenman,

Where ya at in N. Texas? While you're at it with the bayonet and light, here's another thread about a "cool" tactikool accessory you might like. :D http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304821

imp
August 2, 2008, 11:17 PM
If you want my 2 cents, and I'm sure nobody does, a bayonet on a shotgun makes just as much sense as a bayonet on a rifle. Maybe even more so. Most military rifles hold 20-30 rounds, whereas a shotgun is going to hold 8-9 max.

I'm not sure that civvies need bayonets on rifles or shotguns, but I can hardly ridicule the man with a bayonet on his shotgun when I have on for my rifle.

mikenbarb
August 3, 2008, 10:24 AM
Its just another thing that adds to the length of the HD gun. Its just something else that isnt needed and can put you in harms way if it gets stuck on something as the BG is coming at you. Too many useless add ons and not enough thought behind them:rolleyes:. It makes an 18" barrel turn into a 26" sharp pointy one that can get caught and hung up on something very easy. I dont see the point except to look tacticool.

Juhosaphat
August 3, 2008, 12:30 PM
You never know. The BG might just run into it when the time comes :p

I don't see much point to it either besides trying to make your gun look cool, but you can find the lugs. Just have to take a look ;)

arizona98tj
August 3, 2008, 06:19 PM
Its just another thing that adds to the length of the HD gun. Its just something else that isnt needed and can put you in harms way if it gets stuck on something as the BG is coming at you. Too many useless add ons and not enough thought behind them. It makes an 18" barrel turn into a 26" sharp pointy one that can get caught and hung up on something very easy. I dont see the point except to look tacticool.

Some folks may seem to take this thread far to seriously, IMHO. You decided if you fit into that category. :D

Just because someone, like me, has a lug on a 12 gauge does not mean the bayonet is affixed 24/7. In fact, stop on by and do a spot check....if you find it mounted, I'll buy you your beverage of choice and report back here. With a bit more work, that same home made lug could serve as a flashlight mount. That doesn't mean the flashlight would be attached 24/7 either. If you look at the photo I posted of my Savage, you won't even find a sling on it....and it is not black or camo.....no red dot sight.....so much for the tacticool theme theory.

As for the thought behind my installing it.....I will say you've not the slightest idea as to my thought process....unless you were shooting with me 30 something years ago when I did it. If so, then you may have been privy to why we did it and the reasons behind doing so.

To put it another way....lighten up....have some fun.....enjoy life.....and don't put more into an internet forum thread than it deserves. No one is making you weld one onto your barrel, are they? ;)

Nnobby45
August 3, 2008, 06:44 PM
Bayonet with a pistol grip? Are you sure?

mikenbarb
August 3, 2008, 07:36 PM
But why even put a bayonet lug on to begin with?:confused: And they make alot better things to mount a flashlight with alot less work. And if others are asking how to install one or where to get one, Im going to give my opinion why it is or is not a good idea and my reasons why. My bird gun works fine for HD with no tacticool things taking up precious space and my 4-D Mag Light is always next to it. Guess im old book HD but it has never failed me in the 29 years I have had it.:)

arizona98tj
August 3, 2008, 08:52 PM
Why put it on? Because I could. Why does it matter so much to you that I did? It was a project I undertook under the supervision of an old German gun shop owner. I had the opportunity to learn how to silver solder. I had the opportunity to learn how to prep and hot blue a long gun. I had the opportunity to learn how to refinish the wood. And amazingly, it was all fun to do.

I'm glad to hear that your bird gun suits your HD needs and that your 4 cell flashlight works equally well for you. If you've been doing it for 29 years, you are most likely very handy with it. Folks couldn't ask for more if what they have satisfies there needs. Your are a fortunate man.

Now....if you will let me enjoy mine, the way I like it, without your :rolleyes: comments, that would be equally nice.

MTMilitiaman
August 3, 2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know...

I think a bayonet makes more sense on a shotgun than it does on more rifles.

At least a shotgun is used at ranges where a bayonet might serve its purpose.

daveydoo
August 3, 2008, 09:57 PM
az98 I like the mod you made. bayonet can be effective in a back to wall and all else failed. Better than folder tactical knives I see. Sorry guys I perfer slippies or vics as folders. Fixed blades are my choice for a fighting knife

mikenbarb
August 4, 2008, 08:13 AM
Arizona, If you just wanted to enjoy it without comments, Why did you post it on a public forum site? If you post something that another thinks is silly, Most will reply with their thoughts(Im sure you have read and replied in some) and this is why we have sites like this and if your going to submit a thread, Then it leaves you open for discussion and comments on it. Sorry if the comments offend you but that is my opinion only. And if you look and read replys, I am not the only one thinking this is another tackycool item that isnt needed.:p;)(and some do) I think that old girl would have looked beautiful restored back to factory condition and you could have learned the same things that you were taught by the smitty. Im glad you like it and wish you the best and no offense meant personally. And if im not mistaken, This thread was started by chickenman. And by the way your reacting, You make it like your the OP.

chickenman
August 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
hoytinak,
Im near the 121 cut Lake Lewisville.

the rest of you,
I have been around many forums and found this one to be informative. I'll stick around.....but only if us bayonet shotgun guys don’t get laughed at. :D

daveydoo
August 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
Just take it off before going around the others, and when you are alone.... stick it time!:D I have one on my 590 and 590a1. My 500 is my multi purpose gun and no it does not have one.

Nnobby45
August 4, 2008, 03:15 PM
Now....if you will let me enjoy mine, the way I like it, without your comments, that would be equally nice.

Lighten up just a touch, Arizona--the board is all about other peoples' comments and none of them could possibly prevent you from enjoying your project--- even if someone expresses doubt as to the wisdom of putting a bayonet, LOL, on a shotgun.

You could put all that stuff you learned to good use building a William Wallace (Braveheart) sword that would be awesome. Or, you could put a bayonet on a shotgun which tends to invite comments:D

daveydoo
August 4, 2008, 04:00 PM
Come on bring it (as i load my bayonet to my 590) :D:D:D:D

OrangeJoe
August 4, 2008, 06:07 PM
I never knew there was any controversy around this, afterall, it is a factory standard feature on my Mossberg 590.

:)

mikenbarb
August 4, 2008, 08:47 PM
A factory standard bayonet lug on a 590????:confused::confused: Not the ones I have seen.

WacosSon
August 5, 2008, 01:47 PM
I thought the whole idea of a firearm was so that you didn't have to get close enough to use a bayonet.....

WacosSon
August 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
I never knew there was any controversy around this, afterall, it is a factory standard feature on my Mossberg 590.

Um, no.....no its not.

copenhagen
August 5, 2008, 01:52 PM
MTMilitiaman:

I think a bayonet makes more sense on a shotgun than it does on more rifles.

At least a shotgun is used at ranges where a bayonet might serve its purpose.

My sentiments exactly.

AmesJainchill
August 5, 2008, 02:45 PM
I thought the whole idea of a firearm was so that you didn't have to get close enough to use a bayonet...

That's one of the major advantages of a firearm, but sometimes your opponents don't sit politely at a distance and wait for you to shoot them.

chickenman
August 5, 2008, 03:09 PM
You must mean spear?

"Spears started in the Bronze Age until the advent of firearms"

Cheers

Shiner Bock
August 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
My 590 has a factory standard bayonet lug. I'm not sure but they may have been discontinued.

deputy tom
August 5, 2008, 04:45 PM
AZ I think you did a nice job on your shotgun and like the bayo lug.I don't need one myself but enjoy seeing others tacticool stuff.My buddy has a Mossberg 590A1 (I believe) that came factory equipped with a bayo lug as well.He has one of those newer Marine issue bayonets that he likes to stick on it for fun.Surely a scary :eek:sharp item.tom.:cool:

mikenbarb
August 5, 2008, 05:08 PM
MTMilitia, I shoot my slug gun @ 200yds so I guess its not as close as what you think and would be hard to get em with a pig poker at that range.;)

spoolup
August 5, 2008, 09:15 PM
A factory standard bayonet lug on a 590???? Not the ones I have seen.

Only all the standard offered 20" 590s from mossberg have accesory lugs As seen here (https://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&display=specs)

mikenbarb
August 5, 2008, 10:21 PM
Its an accesory lug, Not a bayonet lug. I dont think they would ever say its a bayonet lug and offer it as that because theirs a difference between a flashlight and a bayonet. If so, Theyre getting MNS(mall ninja syndrome) and should rethink what their doing. LOL Im suprised the lawyers let them do it and if they knew a sharp bayonet fit on it, They wouldnt have put it on.:D;) And how long does a bayonet have to be to fit half way down the barrel(oops, 1/3 the way down it) and still be able to use it? It looks like its pretty far back to me.

Icopy1
August 6, 2008, 06:48 AM
My Mossy 500 and 590 both came from the factorty with the "accessory" lug. Bayonet must be another word for "accessory" at Mossberg.

mikenbarb
August 6, 2008, 08:48 AM
Show me one place on their site where they state its a bayonet lug because I cant find anywhere its mentioned by them. I think if it was ment to be a bayonet lug or they wanted shooters to put one on it, It would have been worded like that. Also, The bayonet lugs I have seen are mounted at the muzzle and not almost a third the way down the barrel on a magazine tube. They have it that way for a reason, To use flashlights and other items like that on them because the muzzle blast would blow a flashlight off the end of a REAL bayonet lug. Face it, Its an accesory lug and not a bayonet lug.:rolleyes:

daveydoo
August 6, 2008, 09:40 AM
Check the website and all the 590 have the bayonet mount on them.

Shiner Bock
August 6, 2008, 10:24 AM
Accessory lug = PCSpeak for bayonet lug. That doesn't mean you have to mount a bayonet to it. Mossberg may have stopped calling it a bayonet lug but that doesn't change anything, it still passes the duck test.

Let's see what the predominant common usage is. Google search for:

mossberg "accessory lug"

48 results.

Now search for:

mossberg "bayonet lug"

3730 results

I guess the PCSpeak is not catching on so fast.

mikenbarb
August 6, 2008, 06:54 PM
How much is a bayonet going to protrude from the end when the lug is 1/3 the way back on the barrel??? Shiner, I have never seen when Mossberg ever called it a bayonet lug. Its always been an accessory lug. Anyway, It dont matter because it still looks stupid and anyone who puts a bayonet on a shotgun needs therapy for MNS(Mall Ninja Syndrome). ;):D

L_Killkenny
August 6, 2008, 08:18 PM
Agreed!

LK

L_Killkenny
August 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
BTW, lots of companies and people come up with stupid stuff to sell and they find stupid people to buy them.

Just becasue Mossberg offers the "accessory lug" doesn't mean it's a good idea. It just, IMHO, means that they'll find stupid people to buy them.

LK

Shiner Bock
August 6, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm just arguing semantics. I personally have no affinity for bayonets on non C&R stuff but to each his own. They did use pretty big bayonets on the Model 1897 trench guns though.

daveydoo
August 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
Bayonet on any combat rifle and shotgun does have purpose. I am sure end of the world siturations (ie New Orleans, or the new big quake) and no more ammo but you still need to defend off BG. True slim, but it can happen. Trust me if I have shells I firing the gun first. The idea of perparing for all situration is not mall ninja. I have bayonets but mostly they are off my 590 and 590a1. But I need them they are not to far off. I also like bayonets on rifles. Lockflint and muskets look good in my eyes with a sharp piece of steel.

mikenbarb
August 6, 2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah ok daveydo, But what about the wanna b's that have them on their HD guns in the closet??? Now thats stupid!
P.T. Barnum said their a sucker born every minute and this thread is proving it.:D;)
And not too many people had their guns in New Orleans after the flood. They were digging them out of the mud and destroying them(local P.D.). Just get a tree branch and beat the BG with it if your out of ammo, Its longer and will be more usefull in the long run.lol.
And the point with the lug is how are you going to mount a bayonet on it when the lug is 1/3rd of the way down the barrel? It seems like its awefully far back to me to get full use of a blade.??? Or if im wrong, Please show me that one fits good and has full use of its blade.

daveydoo
August 6, 2008, 10:41 PM
ok Mike I'll hit a bg with a limb.:D What I mean by, like new orleans, is when disorder and failure of gov't to provide basic protection/serivces and one must CYA. Floods, and other siturations can happen anywhere. I also said you must be prepared to take care of yourself. I do not rely on gov't to protect me or my house. I am not one of the mall ninjas either but I am aware of what if.... happens. Sorry no tactical black bdu or rambo collection here. When you rely on gov't to bail your ass out like most people, you will be disapointed.

Take a look at pics here m9 and m7 do fit. Blade is not hidden by the barrel. like I also stated I have them but most of the time they are home. Major of time it is not needed, but that one time I rather have it than say Oh sh....

imp
August 10, 2008, 02:11 AM
mikenbarb wrote:How much is a bayonet going to protrude from the end when the lug is 1/3 the way back on the barrel??? Shiner, I have never seen when Mossberg ever called it a bayonet lug. Its always been an accessory lug. Anyway, It dont matter because it still looks stupid and anyone who puts a bayonet on a shotgun needs therapy for MNS(Mall Ninja Syndrome).

If you look at spoolup's post on page 1 of this thread, there is a very good picture of a mossberg 590 with bayonet attached, and every inch of the blade is useable.

A rose, by any other name...you know the rest.:D

mikenbarb
August 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
"Here is a photo of the M870 and the bayonet mount. It dont matter and still looks stupid as ever to have on a HD gun. For Military use its one thing and sure it has its place(havnt figured out where yet), But for a wanna be mall ninja, Its a dumb idea and just another Rambo add on that has no purpose whatsoever except to show off to your friends that give you ooohs and ahhhs that are clueless with firearms and have no idea except that it looks coooool and Rambo tough to them:barf:. I guess if thats what floats your boat, Then go for it.:rolleyes:

arizona98tj
August 10, 2008, 05:52 PM
imp.....here ya go....no wasted blade here ;)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/bayonet-1.jpg

L_Killkenny
August 10, 2008, 07:25 PM
No wasted blade? BS. The whole dang thing is a waste :p

LK

mikenbarb
August 10, 2008, 08:34 PM
LOL, You got that rite L_killkenny.;) Arizona, Throw them slugs out because you dont need them with that thing. Just think of all the money your going to save on ammo.:rolleyes:

daveydoo
August 10, 2008, 08:41 PM
I guess all those combat arms with bayonet were dumb.:rolleyes: The purpose of the bayonet is close combat. Even today the chances to run out of ammo is real. Rather have a bayonet than fight with folder tact knife most carry.

True most HD is not needed, but it is nice to have just in case and CYA.

L_Killkenny
August 10, 2008, 08:57 PM
I can come up with all sorts of reasons someone in combat would run out of ammo but for the life of me I can't ever imagine a HD scenario where 1 box of ammo won't have you covered.

What, ya just keep 2 or 3 shells laying around and thats it? Or are you just thinkin about the roving bands of zombies?

LK

mikenbarb
August 10, 2008, 10:53 PM
davey, Look up to what I said about military use. And when do you ever plan to run out of ammo in a HD situation? Now your being real silly.:rolleyes:
And im sure your not using it as a military combat arm. Get a grip on reality and get off the Rambo Roids! Their making your mind fuzzy.:D By the sounds of the way your talking, If you ran outa ammo, You would crap yourself and run away as fast as you could because it dont sound like you have alot of experience with close combat situations. And surely you dont have any experience with the proper use of a bayonet except sticking it in the ground like the other ones with bare points I have seen on this post. It would be alot easier to take a shotgun with a bayonet on it away from a person than a folding Tact knife. I would rather hand to hand with a combat knife because their alot easier to keep out of the BG hands and in yours.

daveydoo
August 11, 2008, 10:58 PM
You got me Mikey boy...don't know anything :rolleyes: jerk it!!!

Sounds like you the one thinking combat is all gun and no close in hand. I not going to continue playing with you, for you could not understand. The rest of us are rambo wantabes and never been in combat. Sounds like you are king of combat know how.

chickenman
August 12, 2008, 07:25 AM
This is great. I wanted to know of a set up or lug for my 870 and it good information. Thanks.

I also get the sweet opionions of others who should well....keep it to them selves.

Next time I start a thread I might state "If your opinion smells like your @ss... you should keep it to yourself".

-chickenman

predator86
August 12, 2008, 09:30 AM
hey chicken, i love your idea, dont pay any attention to people here that accuse you of being infected with mall ninja syndrome, usually they are old guys that also complain about loud cars, squealing tires, god-durned whippersnappers and they have forgotten what it is like to be young and want something that is unique, different in the eyes of some, very very cool!!

yes i know a bayonet for "civilians" is pretty much pointless, but the knowlegde gained from the research and the eventual build will be valuable, look at this way, its a 350 dollar shotgun, a little bit of welding and a 50 dollar knife....who or what are you hurting??? absolutly nothing. you can even leave it on for HD, just leave it folded.

i say do it, it would be cool, it would be fun at the range and a learning experiance for ya....

if you really want to **** some people off.......cut the bayo lug off of an old milsurp rifle and then weld that on there:D

Scattergun Bob
August 12, 2008, 09:57 AM
I loved your thread, got a chuckle every morning this past week. I think part of the FUN of this forum is ruffling feathers and most of the time it is meant in good fun. It is kinda hard around this "campfire" to see the similes, or hear the laughter:).

I have had my feathers ruffed a few times by long time forum members, and I think it is part of being a FNG at this camp site.

So, welcome to the forum, keep writing, and you can ruffle my feathers any time;).

Hay, by the way did anyone else notice that the M870 in post #11 was missing sights! Just like the Marines to go to war without the IMPORTAMT stuff, like COFFEE & sights!:cool:

Good Luck & Be Safe

chickenman
August 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
good one Bob. Well said.

Seriously.....I just want a blade and not sure why other than I can. I am not a mall ninja but have lost a few marbles.

Cheers.

Scattergun Bob
August 12, 2008, 10:14 AM
The military's been slinging steel under a scattergun barrel since 1915. Just cause I don't, does not mean you can't! I think 2 negitives are a positive statment ? , so that means OK by me!

Sarge
August 12, 2008, 10:14 AM
I have had exactly one incident when I wished momentarily for such a device.

It was low dusk, almost dark, and I was headed back to the pickup from a deer stand. I topped a little knoll and walked right into, I guess what you would call a 'covey' of wild turkeys which for reasons known only for them, were not in a tree yet. One or two of them 'airbrushed' me with their wings as they were struggling to get airborne and making more noise than a Chinook helicopter.

I did not shoot, and I am proud of that. I hope no one's game camera caught the ensuing melee, though.

chickenman
August 12, 2008, 01:22 PM
Bob,
Gotcha. I can dig it.

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
davey, I jerked it but didnt help.LOL. I love to get you guys going and all upset about your toys and you know what they say if you cant take a joke.:p
LOL, Dont let little things in life bother you so much and it will be a better place. Oh, And by the way, Im not old and love loud OLD cars and loud music(metal and rock) and do have experience in combat training. I never said anyone was a Rambo wannabe or not in combat and your rephrasing my words to benifit yourself. And thats exactly what im doing with this thread, Playing! If you cant take the heat, Dont reply and just sit back and laugh at the replys like im doing now. LOL, Dont be offended, Im not serious about all I replied and this is what makes this thread so good. Because people like you reply to people like me and keep it going.:D No offense ment and appologize if I upset you.
One more thing, I never said combat is all gun and no hand to hand and im just making a statement that I think a bayonet is stupid and useless on a HD gun and not stupid for use in the military. Theres a big difference between the two and have never heard of a person saving his life in an HD situation with a bayonet on his shotgun for when he runs outta ammo. These threads are for pros and cons of things and alot better threads have turned into a spitting match than this.
Chickenman, If you do not want the response of others, Dont start a thread and read a book instead. We ask questions for a reason, To get a reply of others. Some we dont like but its something in life you have to live with. Alot think that a shotty with a bayonet for HD smells like ass but do we tell you to not post your questions about it?? And my replys were mainly at the response of others that kept the ball rolling like myself. I got a kick out of seeing what the next persons reply was going to be, Didnt you??:D
And yes, Im sitting here laughing to myself thinking how funny this is. And if you want a few bayonets, I will sell you some. I got alot hanging around believe it or not.Look in the WTS page and you will see them. Hmmmm, Dont sound like I think their stupid for everything, Now does it??

daveydoo
August 12, 2008, 04:04 PM
PM sent Mike or mikeyboy

copenhagen
August 12, 2008, 04:52 PM
bayonet is stupid and useless on a HD gun

What about the intimidation factor?

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
davey, replied to, Thanks. ;)
copenhagen, I would grab it, slap you, and then beat you with it. LOL. Its not too intimadating when my gun has ammo and you got just a bayonet on a shotty with no ammo.:D;) Are you another one who thinks just the pure sound of a person racking a round is enough to make a BG turn tail and run?:rolleyes:

copenhagen
August 12, 2008, 05:07 PM
Almost six years in the Marine Corps and a couple combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan tell me that yes, the racking sound and the bayonet do intimidate and cause more than a few bad guys to run.

Scattergun Bob
August 12, 2008, 05:38 PM
I love to tell old Sea stories.

"Are you another one who thinks just the pure sound of a person racking a round is enough to make a BG turn tail and run?"

In 1968 Myself and a two crew members were 3 day passed to Cubi Point PI. Now just after dark we decided "with the help off a few jolts of wild turkey to go into town, the airfield was between our quarters and the main gate "O" city, beer and girls. 3 choices, 1st take a cab, 2nd walk around the airfield and go into town, 3rd hop the fence and cross the airfield, a lot shorter distance to the main gate.

Stupid things, in stupid places, with stupid people, we elected to follow our smaller heads and chose door # 3. After spending the past 6 weeks in country we felt like true "Salty Dogs" and "wern't fraid of nuthen", at least here in the P.I.

Over the fence and down to the tarmac about 100yrd across the flight line in the dark Dan, Buck and myself made like frozen rabbits, YES THE SOUND OF A PUMP GUN being racked affects those folks who can identify the sound. Especially when accompanied with a command voice. Personally I think that night I could have heard that slide rack back in CONUS.

I agree with you that scatterguns or any gun for that matter are not made to intimidate, they are made to use. Combat shotguns are the most accessorized weapon system ever made, I guess to try to compensate for what it lacks. If that is the case, why not a bayonet:p.

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 06:01 PM
It may scare the stupid Iraq people but they dont smoke meth and heroin all day like some junkies an the US. They wouldnt care about the sound and would just keep coming. And why are you racking your duty weapon when it should be locked and loaded at all times when walking the streets od Iraq, Or anywhere for that fact?? And you had a bayonet on a weapon when walking the streets in Iraq with fellow Marines racking a round at BG's and thay ran when you did this and didnt shoot back?:confused:

copenhagen
August 12, 2008, 06:11 PM
And why are you racking your duty weapon when it should be locked and loaded at all times when walking the streets od Iraq

It is in condition one. It's called a brass check. Quite effective.

It may scare the stupid Iraq people but they dont smoke meth and heroin all day like some junkies an the US. They wouldnt care about the sound and would just keep coming.

Haji is on more dope than most of the junkies in CONUS.

And you had a bayonet on a weapon when walking the streets in Iraq

At times it is prudent to fix bayonets even when one is carrying a combat load of ammo.

roy reali
August 12, 2008, 07:24 PM
Is there anyway to put a bayonet on one of my field shotguns? That way I can finish off undead birds before picking them.:D

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 07:25 PM
You do a brass check by racking a shotgun, Was that your primary weapon? Why would you want to do this when the enemy is in front of you possibly armed? Are you realy sure it was the BG's running when you did this and not just some scared civilians? Just curious.
Also, If you were in the Marines, Why do you have a signature like the one in your profile? I thought you were supposed to support our goverment no matter what?
I guess im just crazier than the average person.:D
Roy, send her to me, I will weld some big iron on it for you.LOL;) It works great for the squirrels my daughter shoots and dont die rite away.

copenhagen
August 12, 2008, 07:34 PM
Holy poo buddy, I'm talking about a brass check on an M16. I'm talking about the intimidation factor, remember?

roy reali
August 12, 2008, 07:37 PM
I figure my field shotgun will look so intimidating that game animals will die from cardiac arrest upon seeing it. Then there is the tacticool factor. Imagine the looks of other hunters as I stand there blasting away at doves with a shotgun with a bayonet attached. They'll probably be talking about me at the water cooler for some time. Who knows, I might even end up with an internet video for others to admire.:D

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 07:37 PM
And we are talking about a shotgun?? Nevermind.:rolleyes: Im playing with ya.

dalecooper51
August 12, 2008, 07:42 PM
I figure my field shotgun will look so intimidating that game animals will die from cardiac arrest upon seeing it. Then there is the tacticool factor. Imagine the looks of other hunters as I stand there blasting away at doves with a shotgun with a bayonet attached. They'll probably be talking about me at the water cooler for some time. Who knows, I might even end up with an internet video for others to admire.

With it you wont even have to bend over to pick the doves up. Just skewer them and head for the camp fire.

copenhagen
August 12, 2008, 07:43 PM
And we are talking about a shotgun?? Nevermind.

On a shottie, a bayonet is arguably intimidating. Racking it is too. Racking an M16 is also intimidating as is a bayonet on an M16. I could care less if we are talking about a BB gun, my original point to you, mikenbarb, is that you are neglecting the intimidation factor of a bayonet. This is real, and you must give it credit. I, and many others, have real life experience to back this up.

roy reali
August 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
There is one person that a bayonet on a shotgun will not intimidate. That person is a trial lawyer. A trial lawyer will intimidate your bank account though!

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hmmm, I for one do not find it intimidating unless I was on my back tied up with it held to my face. Otherwise, I have a good fighting chance to overcome the threat of it. And I am talking real life!

copenhagen
August 12, 2008, 07:51 PM
roy reali, you crack me up.

mikenbarb, I don't find needles or running 10 miles intimidating. Many people do. I personally am not scared of Bayonets, many people are.

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you, Im glad your fear level is the same as mine. NONE!:D;)
But I HATE needles.LOL.

copenhagen
August 12, 2008, 08:53 PM
mikenbarb,

maybe you should get an 870 with a needle lug! :D:D

mikenbarb
August 12, 2008, 10:50 PM
ROFL, Now thats funny! I almost fell off my chair laughing.:D:D