PDA

View Full Version : Slug from the smoothbore mossberg 500

skiftcky
July 27, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I have searched the forums to no avail.
I have a mossberg 500 w/24" ported smoothbore bbl. My question is, can I shoot slugs with this barrel. if so should I remove the choke? I know some guns will shoot slugs w/ choke but I want to be 100 sure before I take it out there. Also if I can shoot with or without choke, to what degree can I expect in accuracy change?

hogdogs
July 27, 2008, 02:28 PM
NEVER FIRE WITHOUT THE CHOKE!!! Lead or wad will plug or damage your threads...

With that said you can fire thru improved modified no problem... That is the best usually according to mossberg...
Brent

mikenbarb
July 27, 2008, 03:23 PM
+1 hogdogs. Your going to notice a big drop in accuracy after 50 yds with a smoothbore shooting slugs. If your wanting to use it for deer hunting, I would recommend a rifled barrel or a screw in rifled choke tube. You have to also check your local game laws because alot of states wont let you use slugs without rifle sights or a scope. A good accurate smoothbore slug is Federal Tru-Ball or Brenneke. If your stuck with the chokes you have, Try the modified and imp.cyl. but dont use a full choke with slugs and DONT shoot it without one installed.

MAX100
July 27, 2008, 03:29 PM
Add to hogdogs post.

Rifled slugs - are for smooth bore bbls - Accuracy probably 3" to 4" groups at 50 yards

Sabot slugs - are for rifled shotgun bbls or rifled choke tubes.

You can shoot Sabot slugs out of smooth bore but accuracy past 10 yards will suck. You will be lucky to hit a pie plate size target at 50 yards. They are not made for a smooth bore bbl.

GC

Mannlicher
July 27, 2008, 04:22 PM
Another consideration is that some particular barrels shoot certain brands better than others.
For the guy that thinks his 870 or Mossberg is a bust with slugs past 40 yards, try a different brand.
For example, my 870 just loves foster slugs, any brand, but won't group Brenneke slugs well at all.
My old Browning A5, with a Hastings barrel and an IMP choke tube, will put those Brenneke slugs in a 5 inch circle all day long at 80 yards.