PDA

View Full Version : Mag-na-Port,....way too long

Indyjoe
July 26, 2008, 11:02 PM
I sent a Ruger Redhawk .41 Magnum to Mag-na-Port to cut and crown barrel, new ramp sight, finish in Magna-Life silver finish. This was back in early Feb.!!!
spoke with the smith late in May, stated that the Magna-life finish will take a LOT longer as they have to ship it to
a well known company in Florida.

I went with another silver finish but again waited til
mid July and contacted them. He said there was a problem with the hammer (previous owner had it worked on) and it had to be replaced. He is having no luck locating
an Redhawk hammer as Ruger wants the gun shipped to them for fitting and will not send one to them.

Stated it could be a much longer wait before completed.
I am ready to tell them to send the damn thing back to me and I will get it done elsewhere.

Well,...sorry to rant, vent and bore everyone but I just had to get this off my chest. They do great work but turnaround time is,.......:eek:

Anyone wants a Ruger Redhawk .41 Magnum for STEAL,..let me know! I want out!! :mad:

T. O'Heir
July 27, 2008, 12:43 AM
"...Ruger wants the gun shipped to them for fitting..." Yep. Most Ruger parts are factory fitted only. Hammer assemblies are one of 'em. Hammers are not sold separately either. Ruger won't sell most of internal parts to anyone. Frivolous law suits caused it.
"...I will get it done elsewhere..." That won't work. Going elsewhere will not get you a hammer unless you go to Ruger. It's not your smithy. It's the third party companies.
"...Magna-Life silver..." What the heck is that? Magna-Life nor Magna-Life silver doesn't appear on any net search.
Ask your smithy if he can get industrial hard chrome done. It doesn't look like bumper chrome. It's a very hard finish that polishes itself. Usually comes out a greenish blue. Any apparent wearing, isn't. It's polishing.

Indyjoe
July 27, 2008, 01:04 AM
Yes, I know that's what I would have to do,... go to Ruger.
Magna life or such (I not going to argue words) is stated as a special plating they offered. The word "silver" I added as to convey the look of the plating. They most likely send it to Checker plating in FL to get it hard chromed or other.
Anyway, I thank you for your input and help!! :D

WESHOOT2
July 27, 2008, 10:07 AM
I send a gun to a high-quality pistolsmithing outfit (like MagnaPort or EGW or Cogan Custom or others) and I patiently wait for them to perform their magic.

Great magic takes time.

I wait patiently, as I learned the wait is worth it.

Me; you?

Slopemeno
July 27, 2008, 10:28 AM
There are very few good 'smiths out there. Those that are good get popular, and they get backlogged. The shop I worked at at one point was backlogged for over a year. This isn't a set of tires.

RickB
July 27, 2008, 11:01 AM
I'm still waiting for my gun to come back from the 'smith, and he's had it since Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving of '06!

Indyjoe
July 27, 2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I'm just going to chill out, give them the time, and work on my other projects. It will work out in the end. :D

Thanks! ;)

WESHOOT2
July 27, 2008, 11:37 AM
Just no use complaining; "When faced with the inevitable relax and enjoy it"

Ay?

Keltyke
July 27, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well,...sorry to rant, vent and bore everyone but I just had to get this off my chest.

I sent an eMail requesting a quote and lead time. They never answered.

I'm not impressed.