PDA

View Full Version : swapping barrels on Rem 20LT?

wgungho
July 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
I recently purchased a Remington 1100 20LT chambered for 2 3/4" shells. I have seen 3" chambered barrels for sale, and wondered if they would interchange with my 2 3/4" barrel. Is the chamber the only difference, or is the action also different between the 2 3/4" and 3" guns?
Thanks
Tom

BigJimP
July 25, 2008, 03:48 PM
I am not an expert on the Rem 1100 20 LT - but there were some made with 3" chambers - or barrels made for that gun with 3" chambers.

A barrel with a 3" chamber typically locks up the same as a barrel with a 2 3/4" chamber and requires no modifications - so I'd be shocked if it didn't work just fine.

But honestly these days - you can buy or reload 2 3/4" 20ga shells, from a ballistics standpoint, that will do virtually anything a 3" shell would do for you.

oneounceload
July 25, 2008, 07:53 PM
My understanding is that the 20 LT is a lightweight version.....I'm not so sure using 3" in that type of gun work not result in some damage to the gun due to the higher recoil in 3" shells.....I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong....

wgungho
July 25, 2008, 08:21 PM
Although I haven't actually put my hand on one, I've seen LT20s for sale that were chambered for 3". They use the same receiver as a standard 1100 20 gauge. Since the pressure is in the chamber, and the 3" barrels are made to sustain the pressure, I don't understand why the shells would have a negative effect. I guess it boils down to whether or not the receiver will load and eject the 3" rounds. I'd like to be able to chamber a 3" round so tht I can use the gun for deerhunting. You can only get #3 buck in a 2 3/4" shell, but the 3" load up to #2 buck. Most of the stands I hunt only afford a 25-30 yard shot, so a #3 buck should do pretty well.

oneounceload
July 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
I was thinking about the recoil spring....I'm sure there is a Remington board on Shotgun World or similar with folks who have more info than I - I'm going by something a gun writer told me about Remington and Beretta gas guns - that if the spring gets a little worn, even though it will function, the increasing slamming of the bolt back with greater force due to the weak spring will do some serious damage to the receiver.....so maybe a stiffer spring would handle that??...

Pahoo
July 26, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm going to say; Probably not. I say this because I got into the same problem on a regular 12Ga. 1100. I use to have a few but only have one at this time. I understand that the same hold true for the LW20. The reciever area on the barrel, is Purposely different so you can't install a 3" onto a
2-3/4". Again, it's been a few years since I had fo face this question.

Good Luck and Be Safe !!

olddrum1
July 28, 2008, 08:42 AM
You might want to go to Remingtons web site and email this question to them. Something sticks in the back of my mind that not every barrel will work on every reciever on some of old guns. Maybe wrong.