PDA

View Full Version : removing camo paint

nottelybill
July 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
I think I asked this once before but here goes. I am trying to remove the camo paint a buddy of mine insisted on painting on my 870. Someone suggested brake cleaner but it hardly touches the stuff. I do not want to remove the parkerized coat underneath if I don't have to. Hwelp

Bill DeShivs
July 25, 2008, 01:04 PM
Have you tried soaking it in paint thinner?

nottelybill
July 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
no but i will try it- i have some laquer thinner

hogdogs
July 25, 2008, 01:13 PM
Acetone eats most paints except polyurethane. we used it by the barrel in a furniture stripper shop.
Do small spots keeping it damp in that spot. It will lift in know time...
That is if the laquer thinner don't do so hot.
Brent

guntotin_fool
July 26, 2008, 01:02 AM
find the can of paint he used, read what it says, some of the camo paints have a specific solvent which washes them right off. some dont,

I do not know if regular paint stripper will hurt it, but 3M saferstrip might work, its not water based, but citrus based. I used it on camo paint that someone had painted an outboard motor with, and it took it right off. left the undercoat on the motor. I would try it on the barrel first. if it leaves marks, barrels are pretty cheap anyway.

Be careful on the trigger group with any solvents, they have some plastic in them and that can melt. I would manually, that is steel wool off the paint on the trigger group.

grayryder
July 26, 2008, 12:53 PM
Try a product called OPPS!. But be careful not get it on the stock or forearm. It will destroy the finish on the wood. Use a small amount of the OPPS!, on the cloth, to see how it works on the metal that has the Camo. Be sure to oil down the weapon after using the OPPS! The OPPS! can be purchased at Wal Mart in the hardware section. It's primary use is for removal of sticky residue left over from labels and tape applications. Have a wipe cloth handy to wipe off the OPPS! as it softens the camo. If the Stock and forearm also have camo on them. I would seperate the stock and forearm from the metal of the weapon and use a mild paint remover. Use the same remover that is used to refinish antique furniture. When you finally find the right stuff to clean up that wonderful ole' 870, call your confused friend and tell him he has to correct his error in judgement; and his assualt on one of the finest field guns ever producted.

Grayryder

Bill DeShivs
July 26, 2008, 01:13 PM
I believe it's "Oops."

mikenbarb
July 26, 2008, 05:09 PM
I went thru the same thing about a month ago and thinner and steel wool worked the best. I used zip strip also but you cant let it get on the wood or plastic. It worked great on the barrel and the rest got soaked in thinner overnight. Got a soft brush out after soaking and went to work. It came out fine and didnt damage the finish.