PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Tung Oil?

RockyMtnTactical
July 24, 2008, 05:29 AM
I am refinishing my Mauser... Where would be a good place to get Tung Oil? I already checked Wal Mart? Kinda shocked they didn't have any...

You think Home Depot will have it?

Any particular brand that is better than others?

Shorts
July 24, 2008, 06:37 AM
Maybe Lowe or Home Depot. They have the stuff on the shelves here at the base exchange. Not at WalMart? I'm stumped :D

Joat
July 24, 2008, 08:21 AM
Ace Hardware or True Value

Harry Bonar
July 24, 2008, 08:43 AM
Sir;
Tung oil is an excellent choice!
You will have a hard time getting pure tung oil but try a Marine supply - it's used on boats for treating Teak wood.
Harry B.

Doyle
July 24, 2008, 08:43 AM
The tung oil finishes you get from the big box hardware stores aren't really tung oil - they are varnishes that contain very little (if any) actual tung oil in them. I've used Minwax brand tung oil finish to do a couple of stocks and it seems to work ok. True tung oil can be had from the specialty woodworking mail-order sites. However, pure tung oil takes a LONG time to properly cure.

Harry Bonar
July 24, 2008, 08:58 AM
Sir;
Just forgot to tell you, you can get pure tung oil from WOODCRAFT if you have one near you.
Harry B.

SilentHitz
July 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
1st you put your tung in a vise, then...:eek: Seriously, I got mine at the hardware store near me. As others stated, check to make sure it's the real deal.

Ledbetter
July 24, 2008, 01:12 PM
As pointed out, Tung Oil Finish is mostly varnish.

You want "100% Tung Oil." You can thin it with 100% mineral spirits. It does take a LONG time to dry/cure.

Alleykat
July 24, 2008, 01:52 PM
I don't know if Formby's is 100% tung oil or not, but I know it sure does well on furniture.

brickeyee
July 24, 2008, 02:45 PM
Woodcraft is a good source of the real stuff
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=768

MikeD99
July 24, 2008, 06:05 PM
I saw it in a tack shop a long time ago.

Mike D.

jmr40
July 24, 2008, 07:25 PM
Every Walmart that I have been in carries a product called Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. It is usually with the gun cleaning supplies. This is a formula of tung oil designed for gun finishing. The bottle is small looking but it is enough for at least 2 guns. Rub it in with your bare hands until there are no runs. Wait several hours between coats. As the finish builds up it takes very little for each new coat. I usually apply 8-10 coats and wipe down with 0000 steel wool when finished.

Inspector3711
July 25, 2008, 02:01 PM
Squeeze your tung forcefully until oil is expelled.

Ruger4570
July 26, 2008, 11:32 AM
I bought a bottle of 100% pure tung oil from a company named "The Real Milk Paint Co." Their website is www.realmilkpaint.com
It is the real thing, not too pricy and a 8oz bottle will probably last you a lifetime.
I used it on 2 gunsstocks so far and hardly dented the amount in the bottle. It gives a great "oil" finish and drys overnight or faster.

armedandsafe
July 26, 2008, 03:43 PM
I like Tung oil. It works well as a finish and protectant.

However, I sure like to find a source of the oil we used on Dad's FN Mauser in 48. He got a one ounce bottle of it from a friend in Ohio and it lasted until about 68. Apparently, nobody is pressing oil from cherry seeds, anymore. :(

Pops

tsgt
July 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
I get it at True Value. The brand they carry is Hope's. About $20 a quart. Good stuff.