PDA

View Full Version : 12ga slug gun or reg ammo

target75
July 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hello

I'm new to this forum and very ignorant about shotguns.My uncle just gave me an old mossberg 395K 12ga slug gun.He said that it has a polychoke and a smooth bore.The gun is in very good shape considering age.I don't won't to shoot slugs but would rather shoot low recoil shotgun ammo and use it as secondary HD gun on another floor in our house.The barrel has been shortened and it would be easy to adapt for that pupose if I can shoot reg shotgun ammo.Can I shoot reg shotgun ammo in this weapon???? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Tom:)

hogdogs
July 22, 2008, 02:36 PM
Polychoke is a visible device on the end of your barrel... you twist it in or out to change the choke. For slugs it is unscrewed most of the way. Slug barrels of today are rifled. I have no idea what sets this gun as a slug gun if it is a smooth bore with poly choke.
Researching now... I think it is just a bolt action shot gun. Feel free to fire at will (or anyone you choose...) It is fine for shot or slugs.
Brent

hogdogs
July 22, 2008, 02:39 PM
Does it still look like this?
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m102/alandp/ebay/date_unknown_mossberg_bolt_shotgun.jpg
Brent

Musketeer
July 22, 2008, 02:42 PM
Wow, I never hear about those things yet I saw one used at the trap range on Sunday and another mentioned here today. That must be both of them!

hogdogs
July 22, 2008, 02:53 PM
One of the guns stolen in my home burglary was the .410 version my dad got in about 1952-55... Man I could crunk down on that poly choke and lump up some pheasants...:D Open her up for slug whackin' deer. if you forgot to unscrew it for slugs it made a mess of lead grinds in the "fingers"... never bent or broke one thankfully.
Brent