PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 12 Gauge Auto

shepherddogs
July 19, 2008, 09:19 PM
What automatic shotgun can somebody recommend that is very light and pointable, probably synthetic, inexpensive and reliable. I need a gun for shooting raccoons in the henhouse and the corn. I have a Taclight on a Mossberg turkey type gun but it is too heavy and cumbersome for the job. I have a Browning A5 which is perfect in the weight and balance department but I dont want to scratch up the barrel with the Taclight. Any suggestions?

rantingredneck
July 19, 2008, 09:22 PM
Remington 11-87 Special Purpose with 21" barrel??

shepherddogs
July 20, 2008, 07:27 PM
Buds had some Charles Dalys for 351.00. Anyone have any experience with these?

ebutler462
July 20, 2008, 07:41 PM
Stoeger M2000 with a 24" barrel.

Run you around $400 in plain synthetic. Lightweight, reliable, has the very easy to clean inertia action.

Another good choice is the Mossberg 930. Runs around $400 also.

I prefer the M2000 as I have 2 of them and they have never given me any problems. They are light and have a bit of recoil, as most light guns do.

nutty ned
July 20, 2008, 07:50 PM
Use a revolver with .22 short CB's

mikenbarb
July 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
Im thinking a .22 is better. I use a .22 for use around my farm and it dont blow big holes in the plywood sides of coops and barns. I use either .22 CB longs of regular shorts and they have enough power to dispatch any smaller varmints. Carry s few long rifle hp's for the larger ones. If your stuck on a semi-auto 12 gauge, Look at the Stoeger line. Their cheap and work great.

rantingredneck
July 20, 2008, 08:49 PM
Buds had some Charles Dalys for 351.00. Anyone have any experience with these?

Not sure about their recent quality, but the one I had several years ago liked to light strike primers and misfire. My advice, run away, far away.......

Granted that was one of the Multi-Mag 3.5" chambered versions, the others may be better, don't know.

LanceOregon
July 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
I would shy away from the Charles Daly semiauto shotguns. I have heard just too many negative things about them, including from one shooter at our local range who had one.

In my opinion, a much better deal available at Bud's Gun Shop would be to get one of the CZ semiauto shotguns. I have heard lots of good things about them. They sell for only a few dollars more at $385 However, they are only available with wood stocks. They don't have any cheaper synthetic models available.

The CZ's even have chrome lined chambers and barrels, which make maintenance a lot easier. Normally you only get that on more high end shotguns.

Here is a photo of a CZ Model 712:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/GArtday1cz_0503A.jpg

MisterWilson
July 20, 2008, 10:45 PM
Mossberg has just what you're looking for.

I'd seen one recently, automatic action, VERY lightweight, relatively inexpensive. I'm itching for one bigtime.

jmr40
July 21, 2008, 06:18 AM
As ebutler462 has said the Stoeger with 24" barrel is the lightest available. This gun will weigh under 7 lbs. and has proven to be very reliable. The only other auto close is the Benelli which will weigh right at 7 lbs., but will cost 2 1/2 times as much.

DWARREN123
July 21, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have a CD 12ga Field Grade, had it for about 16 months and like it especially for the price. Not had a problem yet.