PDA

View Full Version : Going to get an 870, but which...

Cerick
July 15, 2008, 10:13 PM
Which barrell length for HD would be better. 18" or 20" since 20 gives you an extra shell?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/dutchmaster151/870_tac_dr_780.jpg

hogdogs
July 15, 2008, 10:32 PM
Either one is fine for most folks. If you live in a postage stamp home as I have than the 18 may feel more nimble. If you want it for riding around popping rattlesnakes out the window of the truck than the 18 is most definately a bit easier to swing.
Brent

Juhosaphat
July 15, 2008, 11:35 PM
You can have as many shells as you'd like with any barrel length, just the mag tube would be longer than the barrel :p But come on, what wouldn't go down with 5 shells of 00 pumped into it? That one extra shell isn't going to make up for a gun that's easier to maneuver.

cavediver27
July 16, 2008, 06:12 AM
For HD use I would go with the 18" barrel. It's just a bit easier to maneuver around the home. It's what I have and I'm very happy with it.

johnwilliamson062
July 16, 2008, 08:21 AM
ou can have as many shells as you'd like with any barrel length, just the mag tube would be longer than the barrel

To explain, you can buy extension tubes. I think you can get 4-5 more in with a really long extension. Of course then you pretty much have a 30 inch barrel. You could get a shorter extension and save weight on the barrel but still have the capacity.

What I would love to see is a system for stacked tubes on a shotgun. Or a double barrel semi. Two triggers of course.

TheManHimself
July 16, 2008, 02:23 PM
Go with the 18". My only "social work" shotgun at the moment is a 20" barreled Mossberg, and I rather wish I'd kept the 18-incher. Two inches of barrel doesn't sound like much, but it really makes a difference in handling.

dalecooper51
July 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
If possible, I would get to the gunstore and shoulder some 870's with both an 18 and 20 inch barrels. Whichever one feels better to you is the one I would purchase. You can get all sorts of opinions, but nothing beats personal experience.

Just one thing about the speedfeed stock pictured. If you shoot leftly, I would strongly suggest that you get a different stock. I had one on my 870 and could not get a good check weld. While a nice concept, I find that butt cuffs work better then the shell carriers in the stock. They hold more ammo also.

YMMV.

rantingredneck
July 16, 2008, 07:01 PM
The 18" ones are handy, but I tend to like screw in chokes even in short barrels. Part of that is that my "social work" shotguns are also field guns for deer and turkey.

Remington makes a nice rifle sighted remchoke barrel setup that is 20". They don't make a comparable 18" model with screw in chokes that I'm aware of.

Mossberg also makes a 20" choked barrel, but not an 18.5" one. There have been several threads around lately lamenting the fact that neither company does this, and there seems to be a lot of interest out there for short, choked barrels.

I know I like em.

BTW, I'm aware that Mossberg made a limited run of 18.5" accuchoke barrels for a federal LE agency. I'm also aware that the surplus was sold off through havlinsales.com. I have one of them :D. A fine barrel indeed.

Now if Remington would make a similar one with rifle sights, I'd go back to the 18" length there too.