PDA

View Full Version : Beretta AL390?

zenmtnman
July 10, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hey all,
I spent a good deal of time drooling over and checking shotguns for fit at Gander Mountain today, and fell in love with a used Beretta AL390 12 gauge. I absolutely love the ramp/sights, and how the ramp starts at the join between the stock and the receiver, and runs up to the vent rib. I'm curious to hear peoples experiences with this shotgun, good and bad, and if anyone knows why they don't seem to be making them anymore, what the change is with the 391 series.
Thanks in advance for all your advice. Hopefully I'll be able to hold off buying it at least until next week, and I hope it won't be gone!

RoscoeC
July 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
Well, they DO still make them. I just bought a brand new one a couple of weeks ago at Bass Pro. Counter guy told me they had just gotten 25 of them in, and I was the first to buy one of them.

I also have an older A390. Both very solid well made shotguns. I actually prefer the 390's over the 391's. The 390 series is simpler to clean than the 391's, and just as reliable and just as indifferent to ammo.

Buy it. You WON'T regret it.

Ruger4570
July 10, 2008, 11:44 PM
I have an older 390 Silver Mallard with georgeous wood. Great gun and I mean GREAT

LanceOregon
July 16, 2008, 02:01 AM
I have two deluxe edition Beretta A390's . Like some of the others said, these guns can be truly gorgeous in the nicer editions. Mine are the heavier all-steel A390 models they sold in the early 90's, before they came out with the AL390. I also later bought my son a target model AL390, which he still has also.

The 390's are truly classic high quality guns, and both of my guns and my son's have all been super reliable. Only drawback with mine are their heavier weight, due to their all steel construction. But for target shooting, they are fine. I've only taken one of them out upland game hunting once. I doubt I will hunt with either of them again, as they are too nice to take out into the field.

All of our guns were Italian made shotguns. How much does Gander Mountain want for that shotgun? Is it just a standard grade edition?? If so, you could very well find a Deluxe edition AL390 elsewhere for nearly the same amount of money. I've generally found prices on Gander Mountain to be a bit high.

All of the Berettas I have bought have been purchased used, at major savings. I got one of my A390's from an auction on Gunbroker.com, and another from an estate sale. Both guns were safe queens, and I could find really no evidence that their owners had ever shot them. I've shot both but have been very careful with them, so they still look like new, as you can see in the photos below.

I got my son's AL390 from a local gun store used. The original owner was going through a divorce, and had to sell the gun. It really did not show much of any evidence of being used either.

Here are two photos of my two Beretta A390's. My regular Deluxe edition is in the foreground, and my Ducks Unlimited Deluxe edition is behind it.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/beretta_390s_email1.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/beretta_390s_email2.jpg