PDA

View Full Version : fired without choke tubes

johnwilliamson062
July 10, 2008, 08:37 PM
A shotgun fired without choke tubes that has the threading for the tubes destroys the threads, yes?

Scattergun Bob
July 10, 2008, 08:53 PM
hi john,

This happens more than you think. If it was lead shot only, then scrubbing out the choke inlet area will most likely fix the issue. If it was shot with steel or Bismuth, you may have to touch up the threads with a pilot reamer or thread chase. At worst a GOOD machinist should be able to fix messed up threads.

Hope this helps

Good Luck & Be Safe

Doyle
July 10, 2008, 08:54 PM
It will destroy the threads - but I don't know how many shots it will take to make them unusable. If somebody forgets and shoots just once or twice, I would hope that they could be cleaned up and salvaged.

johnwilliamson062
July 10, 2008, 09:10 PM
well, i insure a half dozen machinists, so I guess I will call a couple tomorrow and see if they want to take a look at it...

BigJimP
July 11, 2008, 05:35 PM
Like Bob advised - Before you go see a machinist - clean out the threads good with a tooth brush using something like Break Free / then try the choke and see if it goes in smoothly and easily. The threads might just be fouled by the plastic from the wad .... Make sure you lube the choke tube threads and the threads in the barrel ( I use Break Free ). If the choke goes in and out smoothly and easily - you're ok.

I've seen it happen a few times unintentionally - and all it took was some cleaning and it was ok. I've also seen a few guys do it intentionally - morons - but they're just abusing their equipment.

WIN71
July 11, 2008, 07:12 PM
Because I have limited experience.
Common sense would tell you that since the shot is in a plastic shot column you would be more likely to have threads filled with plastic.
I had a friend that bought a used Winchester auto 40 or so years ago. It was a 20 ga. carried in his pick up most of the time. He worked in the woods (logging). It got shot quite a bit. He went hunting with me one day and I noticed he did not have a choke screwed into the cutts compensator. I asked which one he was going to use. His answer, "What do you mean." For the entire time he owned it he had been shooting without any choke screwed in. He came with me a month or so later with a modified choke in place only saying it took a while to clean up the threads.

oneounceload
July 11, 2008, 07:51 PM
shooting basic lead targets shells won't be an issue as long as you don't make a constant habit of it....clean out the threads ith a good soaking and a brush

then don't do it again.... ;)

olddrum1
July 12, 2008, 01:32 AM
I have seen guys shoot threads before. Theory was that it caused a better shoot spread at close range. Kinda like shooting a spreader wad. Problem is it jams the threads up with plastic if you do it much.

johnwilliamson062
July 12, 2008, 02:04 PM
To clear this up I did not shoot it. Bought this used and did not realize it was fired without them. Went to screw on in and it only want a few times around the thread before stopping.

olddrum1
July 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
I would do like 1ounce said. You might take a good light and magnifying glass and inspect the threads then to see if there is any damage. Unless they have shot this thing a lot then you may be able to slowly run the choke in and out with some good oil and get the tubes back in.