PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 16ga

JRNC26
July 10, 2008, 05:57 PM
I have a Ranger 16ga over an under that belonged to my grandfather.Who made the ranger? I had a guy tell me once it was made by winchester for sears but I haven't found any info to confirm that. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks

6thMichCav
July 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
Ranger was generally the house name for Sears guns manufactured by Marlin, Savage, Stevens, H & R, and possibly others.

Can you tell us if it is a pump, bolt, SxS or over/under shotgun? That might help narrow things down.

For example, one of the most common Rangers was the Stevens 520 pump, which is a John Browning design. It appears a bit humpbacked, and the square bolt actually protrudes from the top of the receiver when the action is locked.

JRNC26
July 10, 2008, 07:02 PM
its an over and under

10-96
July 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
I picked up a Ranger 16ga SxS and lucked out with it having 101.6 or something on the other side of the receiver (I'd have to dig it out and peek at it again to be sure). Digging through the data on line was, well... I don't know what YOU'D call it. But, if you enjoy a challenge and like playing Sherlock Holmes- with a little diligence you can find the answers to your own question. Or, you can give us a wee bit more info and we can help ya out. Are there any other markings anywhere on there?

Dave McC
July 10, 2008, 07:22 PM
There were really only two O/Us made in the US during that time. One was the Marlin 90. The other was from Savage. Both were working class guns rather than upscale guns. Both are serviceable, though like any old shotgun should be seen by a smith prior to shooting.

Some, maybe all of the Savages had a bronze colored piece of metal at the forearm juncture with the receiver.

HTH.....

J F Cooper
July 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
All the Ranger O/Us I have observed, were Marlin Model 90s. Is it marked 103.350 or 103.360 etc?? JFC

6thMichCav
July 11, 2008, 04:01 PM
...he said it was an O/U. Yes, the most common Ranger O/U is a Marlin Model 90. The number on the top of the barrels should identify whether this is the case or not; Fjestad's lists some of the house brand name/manufacturer ID's in their Blue Book