PDA

View Full Version : Multiple loaded guns in the house

thawntex
July 2, 2008, 01:46 PM
A question for those of you that leave multiple loaded guns strategically placed throughout the house:

Are you concerned that a bad guy might find one and use it against you during a home invasion?

If the proper thing to do is hole up in a room with a gun and wait for the police, doesn't that leave a criminal with the opportunity to find one or more of your guns and come after you with a greater degree of force?

Thanks,
T

Stagger Lee
July 2, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm not that paranoid. If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need. All of the others are locked up safely. Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?

threegun
July 2, 2008, 04:25 PM
Are you concerned that a bad guy might find one and use it against you during a home invasion?

Nope. One thing I learned by working at this pawnshop for so many years is that burglars are so nervous that they miss alot of easy pickins while often making their job twice as hard by missing unlocked showcases and doors. Heck one time I left my work gun in plain view under the counter because I was scheduled to work the next day.....BG's missed the gun in a holster attached to my belt. Another set of morons smashed the glass tops of several showcases even though the doors were open (literally open). Yet another incident had the burglars cutting the locks on our metal shutters and breaking the glass on the door underneather....which was unlocked.

So I have to say no here. You still have cover or at least concealment should the bad guy find one and come at you. If you feel real worried about it hide them better and increase your bedroom firepower......maybe a shotgun or rifle.

chris in va
July 2, 2008, 04:45 PM
I keep my guns in my bedroom, or on me. When I leave, they get locked up.

skeeter1
July 2, 2008, 05:15 PM
"I'm not that paranoid. If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need."

That's my feeling as well. One loaded .38 by the bed, and the rest locked up in the safe. That was good enough for my dad, is good enough for my LEO brother, and good enough for me. I do keep a small pepper-spray in the kitchen drawer (good for wayward dogs), and a 13" stiletto (primarily used as a letter-opener) by my favorite chair, and I always carry my cell-phone. IMHO, that's all I need.

lomaxanderson
July 2, 2008, 06:24 PM
Only two live here, me and the misses...one GSD and a large house....there is a loaded gun everywhere:D...if a home invasion happens where are you likely to be ? I keep mine with me,within reach,but my wife doesn't so it works better for us to have them around so no matter what door or what room we are in there is access to those who know...:cool:....nevermind the dog beware of the owner....Just a few months ago I had to fix the door of a 73 year old Vet who was held for half an hour buy three thugs just six doors away at 2:00 in the afternoon so better safe than sorry...

Stevie-Ray
July 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
I keep 4 loaded and ready, but all but the one I have on me are in the safe. That is until close to time to go to bed, then the USPC comes out for it's HD duties. (In fact, it's time to get it out) The safe also contains a fully loaded AR mag and a fully loaded FAL mag.

Personally, I don't hide guns around the house, but I have no problem with those that do, as it's probably a good idea.

guntotinguy
July 2, 2008, 08:31 PM

No...because all are locked up in safes and a vault except 'just a couple' which would be extremely hard for any home invader to find,but easy access for the wife and I to 'grab and use'.When out,or at home..the wife and I carry,and when in sleep time,if awakened we have access enough.

rampage841512
July 2, 2008, 08:33 PM
Personally, I don't like wearing a gun when I'm at home so I make sure there is one always at hand. If that makes me any more paranoid than someone who has more than one smoke detector in the house, then so be it.

guntotinguy
July 2, 2008, 08:42 PM
I never used to either until about a 9 months ago when there was a sudden 'gang fight' in my front yard...called 911(took and hour to show up) and I realized how 'vulnerable' my house 'could have been' and wife and I.

Funny thing is,im not paranoid...just prepared!(only a few letter difference between to 2 words and their meaning)

allenomics
July 2, 2008, 08:59 PM
Stagger Lee, I could not have said it any better.

oystermick
July 2, 2008, 09:18 PM
Not one to leave loaded guns about the house. Hell, I have to pay attention to where I leave my keys, I don't need more memory quizzes.

TheNatureBoy
July 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
Guns strategically placed around the house. Not with a 10 year old daughter.

Buck88
July 2, 2008, 09:35 PM
I had a LEO buddy who would leave guns everywhere, in the kitchen cabinets, garage cabinets, etc. These were places where people could easily find them, and in that, I did not agree with it.

As for me, Rem 870 12ga. and a Kimber. The 870 stays in my bedroom, and the Kimber is usually not far from me. Locked up if I go out. I figure if I've got a problem there isn't anything that a 12 gauge and a .45 wont solve or prevent. Also I dont want to be worried about my niece finding one when I'm not around.

#20fan
July 3, 2008, 03:21 AM
The .45 stays on me or within easy reach......usually. However if I'm working in the yard or in the garage I can't have it on so the P-11 is in the tool box or on the workbench under a rag.

ragwd
July 3, 2008, 08:56 AM
One pistol, my carry pistol. One shotgun for home defense. All others in the safe.

skeeter1
July 3, 2008, 06:39 PM
"If that makes me any more paranoid than someone who has more than one smoke detector in the house, then so be it."

Well, you caught me there. I have 4 smoke detectors in the house. One in the kitchen, one in the family room, one in the upstairs hallway, and one in the bedroom. I've also got two large fire extinguishers, one in the kitchen and one in the trunk of the car. I guess I'm paranoid in my own way. :o

Hawg
July 3, 2008, 06:55 PM
All of my guns are loaded and some are scattered through the house(not noticeable). If you can't get to it in a heartbeat what good is it? Call me paranoid if you like.

Kreyzhorse
July 3, 2008, 08:00 PM
I have 6 loaded guns in the house. 5 handguns and 1 shotgun. I'm not paranoid by any stretch but I figure an unloaded gun is just a rock if you actually need it. My wife and I don't have children so there is no reason not to have them loaded.

Gatorhugger
July 4, 2008, 11:03 PM
Since everybody put a disclaimer that they are not paranoid, I'll be different

I AM PARANOID. I have a reason to be paranoid. I live in a crappy area of town. If I lived in a gate million dollar community then my paranoia would probably be an illness.
Where I live its called survival instincts. So I got guns everwhere :p

Stevie-Ray
July 5, 2008, 12:13 AM
Well, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody's not out to get you.

JohnKSa
July 5, 2008, 12:19 AM
The first person I knew who stashed guns in strategic spots around his house was a TX highway patrolman.

I always figured that maybe he knew what he was doing...

crashm1
July 5, 2008, 12:35 AM
We have a few stashed in various places.

bikerbill
July 13, 2008, 10:03 AM
1911 in the nightstand; my regular carry gun, PM9, is always loaded and in my dresser drawer ... and I keep a small auto in the cabinet over the toilet ... never want to be, ehhhh, caught with my pants down and only a rolled-up Sports Illustrated for protection ...

sarge83
July 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
On the first floor I keep a loaded: .12 gauge shotgun, an SKS, CZ-82, .357 and a .20 gauge shotgun in various rooms.

Second floor, a loaded: Glock 27,Glock 23,.12 gauge shotgun,an SKS, and a makarov 9X18 in various rooms.

With leo response times varying from 20-45 mins. we are on our own and I plan accordingly.

Socrates
July 14, 2008, 02:19 PM
Every gun is loaded, except my 22lr rifle. The .357 360PD
is great for around the house. Throw it in a pocket, and you forget it's there. Feels like a cell phone. It's also great for taking a bath. Scandium doesn't concern me, rust wise.

DMacLeod
July 14, 2008, 02:45 PM
I'll never tell...

grymster2007
July 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
We keep at least one loaded gun on each of three levels of the house. They're fairly well concealed and an intruder, unless he got real lucky, would have have to spend some time finding any of them.

I'm not going to pack a gun around on my person, in my house unless I've identified an imminent threat.

If I lived in another neighborhood, maybe I'd carry in the house, but not in my situation.

TexasSeaRay
July 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
A question for those of you that leave multiple loaded guns strategically placed throughout the house:

No.

If the proper thing to do is hole up in a room with a gun and wait for the police, doesn't that leave a criminal with the opportunity to find one or more of your guns and come after you with a greater degree of force?

I know my house better than a burglar does, and having been broken into once while I was at home and asleep (Dobermans woke me up) during my LE days, I didn't call the police until I was ready for them to come haul the garbage out.

It's a "to each their own" situation. If you've had training on how to search for a bad guy and you KNOW the premisis you're searching, it's your call. If you don't, then hole up and wait on the cops to show up.

Me? I have zero faith in the what pases for "police" in our suburb. They'd stand a better chance of shooting my dogs, my wife and me than the obvious bad guy wearing a mask and t-shirt that read "ARMED HOUSE BURGLAR."

Jeff

thallub
July 14, 2008, 04:34 PM

Not at all. Sometimes I cannot find all four of the S@W Model 10s that are in this house: Or is it five? :confused:

Stevie-Ray
July 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
Me? I have zero faith in the what pases for "police" in our suburb. They'd stand a better chance of shooting my dogs, my wife and me than the obvious bad guy wearing a mask and t-shirt that read "ARMED HOUSE BURGLAR."That is unfortunate, but true in far too many communities, a few of which are around here.

Frank Ettin
July 14, 2008, 11:00 PM
I have several loaded guns around the house. They are in lock boxes with finger touch combinations. My wife and I can get to them quickly, but they are inaccessible to unauthorized persons.

I also believe in remaining in a place of safety and waiting for the police, as long as all innocent occupants are accounted for and with me. By going hunting, I expose myself to possibly being flanked or ambush, especially if I'm not absolutely certain how many BGs are around. I would also impair the protection of other occupants, and protecting them is my primary mission. Of course if an innocent occupant is unaccounted for, I would have to look for him or her. As I've mentioned, however, I'm not worried about a BG getting one of my other guns, since they're locked up.

ActivShootr
July 15, 2008, 09:22 AM

Not so much when I'm home as when I'm not. I feel more comfortable with the idea of a theif trying to get that bigass safe out of the house than just wandering around picking up guns at his leisure.

cnutco
July 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
I keep my normal ccw close by in the house. All others are in the safe. I do plan to get a Rem 870 for the bedroom.

Just have to be carefull with a 13 year old daughter. She respects guns, but still she is 13.

Chui
July 16, 2008, 06:07 PM
The firearm that's the most accessible is the one in your holster which is somewhere on your person.

jackmcmanus21
July 17, 2008, 09:15 AM
I keep my standard next to my bed at all times, no questions asked. I have a shotgun downstairs ready to go if need be. I think 2 is enough for my modest house.

Th0r
July 17, 2008, 02:56 PM
This thing has happened before.

Where burglars have broken into a house and found a gun, and used it against the properties owner.

Also Non-Burglary Killings have occurred similar in Nature...

All I can say is if I had guns around an about the house; Loaded of course this would be a large concern for me.

Tombstonejim
July 17, 2008, 04:26 PM
Leme see
1911 in my bed stand
Rossi 94 carbine on my wife's side
Winchester 270 in the office
45-70 in the spare bedroom
870 in the laundry room
Colt 44-40 wherever my wife leaves it.
Ain't no turkey illegal gettin in my house.

Chui
July 17, 2008, 05:59 PM
I was always taught - and consider it prudent - to have any weapons not in your DIRECT control to be locked away...

Nnobby45
July 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
Where burglars have broken into a house and found a gun, and used it against the properties owner.

I've read many an article on many sites, and in my local newpapers, as well, and have not yet come upon an incident where a burglar broke in and rummaged around until he found a loaded firearm and used it against the home owner who'd been oblivious to the intruder.

Leaving a loaded firearm unsecured where it can be easily found is another matter. That's called arming the intruder, and has little to do with strategically placed loaded firearms that can be used to the home owners' advantage.

aggie01
July 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
Here's my routine: Come home from work, lock loaded pistol in safe (I have two little tricycle motors that are very curious.) Put kids to bed, put pistol, flashlight, and cell phone on nightstand. I also keep an unloaded Rem 870 12 ga under the bed with four in the tube, ready to go. I also make sure things are put up so that I don't trip over anything if something happens. The Mrs. does the same routine when I'm not home.

JohnKSa
July 17, 2008, 08:28 PM
I think I recall one incident where a homeowner came home to a break-in in progress and was accosted by the burglar who was armed with a gun stolen out of the house. I can't find the link. It doesn't seem that common. If one is going to base their level of concern on how often it happens it's probably not sufficiently frequent to prompt one to change one's habits.

I do recall a serial killer whose M.O. was to enter a house, arm himself with a knife out of the kitchen which he then used to attack/kill the female occupant. That's probably a lot more likely given that knives are always "loaded", easy to find, and always present in any house.

AdamSean
July 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
Here is a strategy that I just thought of. It is best to stay in a locked room and call the Police. However, if there is any reason to leave the room, say, a loved one is in another room in the house, think smart. I have only one gun unlocked and loaded at a time in my house. I think I may actually start hiding spare magazines in various places around the house. That way, the BG might only find a magazine and not my gun.

TripIII
July 17, 2008, 10:13 PM
Easier to keep one with you.

Should you scatter them around the yard too?

J.Smith
July 18, 2008, 04:52 AM
I like the idea of having multiple biometric safes around the house. The compact gun safes (can't find the link now), are perfect for stashing around the house. In my apartment I have my new to me XD .45, and my new .38sp Taurus 85. The XD stays loaded and unlocked in a lock box next to my bed. The .38 is in another lock box unloaded but with 2 speedloaders in the same box. There is a second loaded magazine for the XD in my top dresser drawer. Since I cannot carry on campus (which I protest daily) when I leave the guns are unloaded and the magazines are locked up in my ammo box. I have curious drunken college roommates who aren't the pride of the gene pool.

Jmacinnis1
July 18, 2008, 08:04 AM
I would say fiddletown hit it right on the head. If multiple guns are NEEDED around the house, they should be in safes that allow quick access to the intended users and slow down those who should not be accessing the items inside. I like the idea of having the firearms loaded and in separate rooms, but you also do not want unauthorized people accessing those firearms, burglars or not (kids, neighbors, etc.). They can be loaded and locked in the safe so if they are quickly needed, a quick punch of the buttons and you’re ready to protect yourself on the way to the safe room.

dabigguns357
July 18, 2008, 08:16 AM
All but one gun stays in my bedroom and loaded,My kids are taught not to enter my bedroom unless told to.I do keep my 357 loaded and on me at all times. my wife will come in from work sometimes and laugh at me because i'm doing the dishes with a 357 strapped to my hip and a towel over my shoulder but hey if getting laughed at is the worst thing that happens to me so be it.

Rant Casey
July 20, 2008, 01:20 PM
I have loaded firearms stashed all over the place in my house. None of them are somewhere a bad guy is going to instinctively look for valuables. I have no children and live in a very secluded area with no houses near me so I'm not worried about neighborhood children sneaking into my house. I for one am not going to be caught in the bathroom while someone is breaking into my house intending on harming me without a weapon. The one underneath my bathroom sink however is in a quick access safe. You can call me paranoid, but in the event of something awful happening, police simply cannot get to my house in the winter time if there's snow on the ground without 4 wheel drive, and even then it's a very LONG journey. I'm paranoid I guess. Right now, in my office I have an AK-47 in my locking closet and a hi-point cheapo POS in my locking desk drawer not to mention my carry sidearm on my hip. Upstairs is the AR-15 with an eotech and surefire light and Mark 23 socom. In the closet sits a Benelli m4 and a Saiga-12. I'm not hiding in my bedroom if someone breaks into my house, my bedroom is not bullet proof, nor is it fireproof and my girlfriend is a paraplegic who is not jumping out of a window and making a retreat any time soon. Once my alarm triggers, police are on there way but I have no idea how long they're going to take. She's on the phone with 911 and i'm down the stairs with the AR in my boxer shorts and no shirt. God help you if I get to my safe. There's no hiding out in my bedroom while police arrive and the law states i have no duty to retreat within my own home. I've worked too hard for the things I have in my life for some slimeball to take them away. As for clearing the house by myself.. I've cleared a lot scarrier less familiar rooms than my own looking for people far more trained than your average junky trying to steal my tv. I'm fairly confident in my ability to be able to safely detain anyone breaking into my house barring a mob of blood thirsty canibals trained in CQC.

TPAW
July 20, 2008, 01:40 PM
I've heard some say that they leave a loaded handgun on the night stand next to the bed. Good idea? Yes? No?....What if the bad guy gets into your room and grabs it before you are aware of his presence? Like me, I'm sure many of us are heavy sleepers.

Rant Casey
July 20, 2008, 01:41 PM
Get a good alarm system and a locking bedroom door. A good loud watch dog never hurt either.

thomp830
July 23, 2008, 02:28 PM
Some people have a problem with guns- they have too many.
For home defense you only need one gun. Why? Because you can only USE one gun at a time. You can also only be in contol of one gun at a time. In most States if you have a gun in your house you are required to keep it safe. If you have 5 guns hidden around your house and someone gets hold of one YOU will be liable!
Also- Keeping 4 guns loaded and locked up makes no sense! Don't be a Mall Ninja-If you lock them up you should unload them. They don't do you any good locked up- so they don't need to be loaded!
Carry one and use one. Pick the most practical- practice with it, carry it and keep it safe so it will keep your family safe!
DON'T FORGET: If you have to shoot at someone you better know what your target is! You might think its a bad guy when it's really little Suzy.

Protector
July 23, 2008, 03:38 PM
Quote:
That's my feeling as well. One loaded .38 by the bed, and the rest locked up in the safe. That was good enough for my dad, is good enough for my LEO brother, and good enough for me. I do keep a small pepper-spray in the kitchen drawer (good for wayward dogs), and a 13" stiletto (primarily used as a letter-opener) by my favorite chair, and I always carry my cell-phone. IMHO, that's all I need.:barf:

I will assume your Dad and Brother have never had one or more BG's break into their house with fully auto or even semi-auto assult rifles....and you had better hope you don't either, because chances are your .38, letter opener nor your cell phone is going to do you nor your family any good!!!:(
I recommend if you are worried about home invasions, that you make some upgrades to your house that can prevent them and get used to packing heat on you till you lay down to go to sleep!!!!;)

Wake up people we no longer live in the same world that our parents did...you may not get a second chance to be prepared and trained...do it now before it's too late. The BG's are all around us and they are playing for keeps, you'd better be ready to protect yourself and family!!!:cool:

Stevie-Ray
July 23, 2008, 06:59 PM
Get a good alarm system and a locking bedroom door.Nope, that's out. The cats would be PO'd if they couldn't come in and walk all over us.:D

simplekindaman
July 23, 2008, 07:53 PM
"Quote:
That's my feeling as well. One loaded .38 by the bed, and the rest locked up in the safe. That was good enough for my dad, is good enough for my LEO brother, and good enough for me. I do keep a small pepper-spray in the kitchen drawer (good for wayward dogs), and a 13" stiletto (primarily used as a letter-opener) by my favorite chair, and I always carry my cell-phone. IMHO, that's all I need.

I will assume your Dad and Brother have never had one or more BG's break into their house with fully auto or even semi-auto assult rifles....and you had better hope you don't either, because chances are your .38, letter opener nor your cell phone is going to do you nor your family any good!!!
I recommend if you are worried about home invasions, that you make some upgrades to your house that can prevent them and get used to packing heat on you till you lay down to go to sleep!!!!

Wake up people we no longer live in the same world that our parents did...you may not get a second chance to be prepared and trained...do it now before it's too late. The BG's are all around us and they are playing for keeps, you'd better be ready to protect yourself and family!!!"

what warzone do you reside in? ive never before in my life heard of someone breaking into someone elses house with any form of "assault" weapons in my community. im not sure how common inccidents of fireteams of drugged up lunatics with ak's and mac-10's go perusing through otherwise innocent homes are in the other parts of the country.

i have a remmington 870, unloaded in my corner with a box of shells hidden near by but easily accessable. the redhawk stays in a box, locked in my desk. the rifles stay in bags, unloaded, locked in a footlocker. i figure if this said gang of lunatics comes into my house with enough ordinance to conquer france, nothing i can obtain legally id going to help anyways. my opinion though, if you feel safer with AR-15's in ever closet or with a .38 on your nightstand, thats your call. i dont see many of us needing any of the above, with any luck and prefference.

Protector
July 24, 2008, 06:31 AM
Hey Simplekindaman,
I live in the same world you do...I'm just not stupid enough to have the attitude that "nothing bad will ever happen to me because I live in Utopia"

I am a realist walking around with my eyes open...not ignoring what is going on hoping if I ignore it, then it will never happen to me.

Check out the links below...this is the community in which I live!!!!

http://www.wichita-massacre.com/

http://www.kansas.com/news/special_packages/btk/

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/10132136.html

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=6886728&nav=menu486_1

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/19610099.html

The world we live in is becoming a Jungle with many dangerous predators...and we must be able to defend ourselves at all times...even in our own homes!!!

KCabbage
July 24, 2008, 08:10 AM
For home defense you only need one gun. Why? Because you can only USE one gun at a time. You can also only be in contol of one gun at a time. In most States if you have a gun in your house you are required to keep it safe. If you have 5 guns hidden around your house and someone gets hold of one YOU will be liable!
Also- Keeping 4 guns loaded and locked up makes no sense! Don't be a Mall Ninja-If you lock them up you should unload them. They don't do you any good locked up- so they don't need to be loaded!
Carry one and use one. Pick the most practical- practice with it, carry it and keep it safe so it will keep your family safe!
DON'T FORGET: If you have to shoot at someone you better know what your target is! You might think its a bad guy when it's really little Suzy.
:rolleyes:
Remeber, this is YOUR opinion!
One gun huh? Keep it unloaded and locked up eh?
So when I go to my A.M. part time job and take my pistol with me, what does my family use to protect themselves? Oh I forgot, they're immune to attack while i'm at work and police arrive on scene 10 seconds after calling 911.
The number of scenarios where an aggressor could do your family harm are many. Do you think your going to have enough time to unlock and load up your gun?
The last thing I want to do is have to unlock and load my weapon after hearing someone break in my house or making their way up my stairs
in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping.
I'm not trying to single you out, when I clicked this topic I mistakenly took you for the thread starter.

alistaire
July 24, 2008, 08:36 AM
Nope, that's out. The cats would be PO'd if they couldn't come in and walk all over us.

There are special cat doors for that problem. Use the smallest one the cats can fit through.

TPAW
July 24, 2008, 09:00 PM
Wake up people we no longer live in the same world that our parents did...you may not get a second chance to be prepared and trained...do it now before it's too late. The BG's are all around us and they are playing for keeps, you'd better be ready to protect yourself and family!!!

A very sad statement but also a very true statement. Anyone who breaks into your house whether knowing or not knowing if anyone is inside, is willing to do anything to get out. Night time burglaries are the most deadly. With the economy being what it is, crime is on the rise and continuing to rise.

dmazur
July 25, 2008, 02:21 PM
...Don't be a Mall Ninja-If you lock them up you should unload them. They don't do you any good locked up- so they don't need to be loaded!

We have two family members who both CCW, and a rapid-access safe to keep them in when they're not in use. Condition 3 in the safe, which isn't unloaded.

Noise in the middle of the night? 7 seconds to open safe and get gun to Condition 1.

When we're not in the house, these guns are with us.

However, the long guns are a different protocol. Unloaded, in gun safe.

Rapid-access safes are a compromise between "instantly available" and "DC style storage" (that is, locked, disassembled & unloaded), and I think they are a good alternative if you are worried about the liability of leaving guns laying around.

Different answers for different situations.

mpage
August 6, 2008, 05:59 AM
Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?

Quoted for truth.

mamboreta
August 6, 2008, 01:39 PM
I used to keep four guns loaded and ready to roll, but lately I´ve changed my mind and set for the "one for me, one for the lady" type of thinking. I don´t want to find myself trying to decide in the rush if the smartest move is to priorize mag capacities, ballistics, confort, reliability, caliber... I trust all my firearms. I want to limit my choices for my own sake, and my house is not that big.

I mean: P226 + 2 extra fully loaded magazines for me, and a nice 3' .38 spl. six shots revolver for my wife (no speedloader). And I´m sure she´ll unload and put away the revolver as soon as she gets pregnant.

Glenn E. Meyer
August 6, 2008, 02:18 PM
Google the Petit family and decide how your various strategies and analyses would have worked for you in that scenario.

jtnorwalkpd
August 7, 2008, 12:00 PM
How often do a bunch of guys with full-auto break into people's homes??? Unless you're a drug dealer- rarely!
The truth is that even if someone came in you house with a full-auto AK47 with 300 round of ammo- it doesn't matter how many guns you have! All you need is one gun that you can handle well. Having 10 loaded guns hidden around the house is a waste- you can't use 10 guns, and you can't get to them if someone is shooting at you.
If a burglar breaks into your house to steal your stuff (or kill you) he'll turn tail and run (or die) when confronted with some fast moving lead- no matter WHAT kind of weapon he's carrying.
If you sleep with a handgun next to you- make sure you have a flashlight too! If you feel that a handgun isn't enough then a 12 gauge will handle ANY problem. Don't get gun-happy, get practical instead.

Glenn E. Meyer
August 7, 2008, 01:07 PM
And you know this for sure - because?

So do you carry a gun with you into every room? If your one gun is upstairs and you are downstairs taking a nap on the couch - like Dr. Petit - oh, well.

It is not unreasonable to have guns secured in different places in a larger home.

jtnorwalkpd
August 7, 2008, 02:19 PM
The problem- as with the Petit situation- is that we all have to sleep sometime. Don't just rely on guns. During a break in you need time to get to your gun (or pick it up and get your eyes to focus, etc). You need something else. You need some type of warning that trouble is coming, like an alarm or a dog.
10 guns won't save you if you don't know something's wrong. Don't get me wrong- there's nothing wrong with having more than one. I have several. My point is that too many people feel that if they have a lot of gun they will be safe. It isn't the number of guns you have- it's the preperation.
Should you prepare for the freak home invasion like the Petits? YES! There are alot of maniacs in this world. But don't forget that preparation means more than guns. You can hide guns all over your house but they won't do you any good if the Bad Guy sneaks in while you're sleeping.

WVfishguy
August 10, 2008, 06:45 PM
dabigguns357 wrote:
my wife will come in from work sometimes and laugh at me because I'm doing the dishes with a 357 strapped to my hip

Let her laugh - you should be armed.

We live in the same town, and it's getting worse here everyday. Almost 100% drug related. Heroin overdoses, gunfights, things I never imagined would happen here.

We had a house in an "old money" section of town get sprayed with an AK.

I usually carry all the time, even at home, and my wife never says a thing - she's never far from her Ruger .357.

Michaelm45
August 11, 2008, 03:11 PM
For you guys that hide a gun in a drawer or cupboard.
Do you leave it bare or try to cover it up with a towel or???
Thanks

MFMayes
August 11, 2008, 06:37 PM
How often do a bunch of guys with full-auto break into people's homes??? Unless you're a drug dealer- rarely!

Even then, that "bunch of guys" is usually the police.

Daugherty16
August 14, 2008, 04:09 PM
My wife is not a shooter. My kids are too young to be shooters. Aside from my carry pistol, all my guns are locked up in my safe. It takes 10 seconds to open, where my other handguns are loaded and ready to go. I couldn't possibly leave guns around the house unsecured, as it would be irresponsible, dangerous and probably criminal. The exception - my carry gun goes in the nightstand at bedtime and back on my belt in the morning.

That said, it's what works for me. Everyone who owns a firearm has to work out the meaning of responsibility and safety for themselves. Noone else has the combination to my safe. Until my wife is willing to invest the time to learn gun safety and handling, and demonstrates competence with all my guns, it stays that way.

But why do i carry? I am fortunate to live in an upscale, desireable neighborhood in a pricey desireable town. Unfortunately, it's also "where the rich white folks live" and there have been two very recent home invasions. Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them just needs to look at the home invasion in Cheshire CT last year. Mother and two daughters, burned to death by two recently released repeat felons. A whole family - wiped out. I'm getting older, the world is changing, and having a 9mm answer if my door is busted down makes me feel a little safer. :cool:

LEOs have no duty to protect any individual citizen, just the community at large. Besides when the "suck" happens, it's usually over much too fast for the cops to get involved, except later on to do their investigating. I strongly believe we each have a duty - to ourselves and our loved ones - to have the means and the training to protect them, all the while hoping it never happens .

bennnn
August 15, 2008, 10:47 PM

hell,, It's a regular thing for me to actually lose guns in the house and not be able to find them for days on end.. I've had to ask my wife several times if she's seen a certian one somewhere recently so I can try to find it...

And I'm not just talking about handguns,, but the few that I rely on for protection are always close to hand and tuned up and fuled up better than nascar crap...

shortwave
August 16, 2008, 03:38 AM
Not a room in my house without a gun. Have a detached garage,one in there also. I,as the bad guy have a job to do. His is to break in my house as quite as he can and do what bad guys do. Mine is to stop him. I`ve always taken pride in trying to do all my jobs as well as I can. Also very well said jtnorwalkpd.

vox rationis
August 16, 2008, 11:38 AM
But why do i carry? I am fortunate to live in an upscale, desireable neighborhood in a pricey desireable town. Unfortunately, it's also "where the rich white folks live" and there have been two very recent home invasions. Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them just needs to look at the home invasion in Cheshire CT last year. Mother and two daughters, burned to death by two recently released repeat felons. A whole family - wiped out. I'm getting older, the world is changing, and having a 9mm answer if my door is busted down makes me feel a little safer.

This is the Dr. Petit case referred to a few posts ago.

I do believe it happened in the morning, and I do believe that the front door was open, or at least unlocked, and the murderers came in as the family was getting ready for the day. Please correct me if I am wrong.

But of course, they lived in a "safe" neighborhood, so why be "paranoid" and keep the house secure, and have "disgusting" things such a gun, let alone guns (in the plural) around.

But once your security is penetrated, and it is one's choice whether or not to make it either easy, or harder, for the intruders, it might not be a bad idea to have some guns in a few hidden/secure locations, stored in something like this (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005562220659a&type=product&cmCat=cchart_gun_saf_cabs&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=touch)

As the poster above alluded to, a strategically placed loaded weapon in the basement, where Dr. Petit was left for dead, might have made the difference between his family being massacred and burned to death, or not. At least he might have had a fighting chance.

Tragic, very tragic...

tvrobert
August 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
I keep two loaded dogs and two loaded guns around the house. If the dogs go off and I don't know why, I'll grab the closest firearm to have a look-see/listen. I'm not worried about the dogs sleeping at the switch, as it were. They'll yark at deer wayyy out in the field or a vehicle that's passing by slower than normal.

XD-Ro
August 16, 2008, 04:31 PM
multiple guns..check
multiple dogs...check
angry and sometime PMSing wife...check and check....

skoro
August 17, 2008, 06:33 AM
My place is one of those kinda long, narrow ranch-style homes built in the late 50s. The living area is at one end of the house, the bedrooms are at the opposite end. The entrance is in the middle, between these two areas. I keep two loaded revolvers: one in the BR and one stashed at the other end of the house. I won't be caught having to rush or sneak past an intruder in order to have access to a weapon that way.

If the layout was different, I could do well with a single gun. But it is what it is. I used to be a Boy Scout: be prepared. ;)

skoro
August 17, 2008, 07:04 AM
what warzone do you reside in? ive never before in my life heard of someone breaking into someone elses house with any form of "assault" weapons in my community.

Probably most of you aren't aware of this, because for some reason, it never makes the national news reports that I see on TV or hear on the radio. But our "friendly" neighbor to the south has devolved into a chaotic war between rival drug cartels, and it's getting more violent and out-of-control all the time. I suppose it isn't news because it isn't happening in the good ol' USA (yet) and besides, the latest scoop on Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan has higher priority.

Being here in Texas, I'm a lot closer to this action and I can tell you that the Mexican government has thin odds of gaining the upper hand, largely because the rival drug cartels have bought and paid for factions of both the civil government and the military. So, this on-going drug war splits even the opposing combatants into rival camps. It's like a war within a war, and the numbers of people killed daily oftentimes eclipse anything happening in Iraq or Afghanistan.

How much longer do any of you think it will be before one cartel starts to gain the upper hand? When that occurs, where do you suppose the "losing" side will migrate to in order to carry on their business?

These drug gangs tend to use full-auto AK-47s and other assault-type weapons. Many bystanders and innocents have been killed and wounded in the crossfire. Kidnappings in Mexico have increased greatly.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2008/08/drug-violence-c.html

So, do those travelocity ads touting low rates on airfare and motel rooms in Mexico still sound like a great getaway? :D

Seriously though, it's a terrible situation that's continually spiralling downward. And most of you probably have little idea. Keep in mind also that these drug cartels now have thousands of acres of drug crops planted and under constant watch in our national forests, far from the border. You may think that this is a problem only for the border states, but it certainly isn't. We're closer, but we're also more aware.

Like I mentioned in my previous post: be prepared.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/pot.eradication/

fjk1911
August 17, 2008, 02:18 PM
Google "home invasions". Google "Petit family Connecticut". Broad daylight invasion no less, three innocent females dead, house set on fire. Has caught on in this leftist state it seems - now a trend.

I live just off the I95 drug corridor, gated community on LI Sound. If you were BGs going to hit a house, would you hit mine or a dump? Very sophisticated alarm system including a driveway sensor, safe room, vault, and yes, loaded guns throughout the house. Cheapo Mossberg Nightwatch 12's at each bedside in a rack between mattress and boxspring covered by bedspreads, standardized Wilson 1911's with 8 shot mags plus one in pipe and spare mags strategically placed throughout house.

Call me (and my family - wife and three sons) paranoid. I call us prepared and aware and realistic. Calling 911 is just to get the bodies bagged imho or to report a vehicle accident.

No offense meant to anyone. We are just all different in different scenarios of life.

CMichael
June 19, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have my 12 gauge under my bed, a glock 19 under clothes in my wifes bedroom closet, a .22 revolver in my office and a 20 gauge in 1st fl laundry room closet .

Dre_sa
June 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
I keep my EDC on me at all times when at home. during the day, it's in my holster, at night when on the couch with my wife in our pajamas, I have it on the coffee table in front of me, when transitioning between rooms, I carry it in my hand.

I would not keep loaded guns stashed around for two reasons; my four year old son, and I don't want any possible intruder being more armed than they already are. They may be unprepared, but I am not...

CMichael
June 19, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have no kids, just a wife and a cat.

I don't want to risk being cut off from my guns when I need it most.

BillCA
June 19, 2010, 05:37 PM
Besides the Petit family, Google the name Byrd or Melanie Billings.
Or you can just start here (http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/10/Florida.couple.killed/index.html) and Google more if you want.

Multiple attackers armed with semi/auto weapons? All you have to do is watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKCiY-lu0) to see that it's not necessarily an odd occurrance.

A layered defense is best but it cannot always protect your or give you the time to react. At best, it can provide some warning in time for people to reach safety.

Strategic arms placement around the house is only one option of many one can consider using. Obviously the dynamics of children (and/or their child guests) can change if/where/how you use this solution. In the video above, it only takes about 5 seconds for the all of the suspects to enter the garage of the victim. At least two breached the door into the home before the first shots were fired.

Reaching your gun box and getting it open in 7 seconds may be just barely in time. Have a friend start at your front door (unlocked) enter the house and move as quickly as he can through to the kitchen and bedrooms. Use a stopwatch and then realize how fast someone violently invading could do the same.

Larger homes with few people in them (i.e. retired persons, just one couple or a single person) means there is a chance that you may be separated from your normal HD gun at some point in time. Perhaps the worst possible time. say, when going into the living room to adjust the thermostat or tossing laundry into the dryer.

I used to scoff at a friend who kept a snubby .38 holstered up under the sink cabinet in his single bathroom. But guess where he was when someone kicked in his front door at 7am one morning? A former coworker's family had once been invaded. He kept a sheathed knife velcroed in the sofa cushions in case his hands were tied. A revolver was concealed close by as well.

Burglary / Homicide suspects often head for the kitchen. Knives there are easily obtained and are good weapons for intimidation or worse. Burglary suspects thus prowl the house armed and before leaving replace the knife so if the police catch them outside then may suffer only a lower felony charge (than armed burglary).

A Warning: The more guns you place around the house, the more effort it takes to safely maintain that system. Consider the ramifications of a burglary while you (and/or your spouse) are away from home. It requires time to gather all the guns up and lock them away and to then re-install them around the house each time you return. And you have to put each one back every time, lest you rely on one location in a crisis and find it missing.

Think about what a thug might want based on observing your house. Are all your vehicles newer models? Do you have a Lexus and a Mercedes? Are there ATV's and Jet Skis in the garage? Or expensive mountain bikes? All these could indicate someone who might have valuables to steal.

So what room are the likely to force you into for these valuables? Don't plan on being the first one into the bedroom even if your family is hostage. One person will likely inspect nightstand drawers, under pillows and dresser drawers. You're there to open safes or jewelry boxes.

CMichael
June 19, 2010, 06:04 PM
Also in a high panic and stress situation, I think it may be hard if not impossible to get the safe unlocked in time. Just remembering the combination might be very difficult.

briandg
June 19, 2010, 07:41 PM
You would have to see my house to understand the numerous loaded guns. 2 story and a full basement, with the front door opening into almost every area of the house. I keep one in the living room, in a closet by the door, master bedroom, upstairs office, basement office, and so forth. They are all concealed well enough.

The problem is, if someone comes into my front door, no matter where I am, I am completely cut off from the rest of the house. You can't move. You are either trapped upstairs or downstairs, or completely trapped and exposed in the ground floor rooms.

Without a gun right at hand, that ground floor is a trap. Period. the second floor and basement are at least defensible. Nobody, not no way, not no how, will make it either up or down the stairs in that home.

CMichael
June 19, 2010, 07:52 PM
I still have concerns what to do with my 12 gauge that I have under my bed.

That' may be an obvious place for an intruder to look for a gun...

Any ideas?

Obviously, it needs to be close to me.

old bear
June 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
On every level of the house there is a smoke detector, fire extinguisher, phone; and as I don’t like to wear a weapon, a loaded revolver. Additionally I will not answer the door after dusk without a revolver in hand. To answer the O.P's question NO.

DiscoRacing
June 19, 2010, 09:30 PM
Usually have three or four loaded handguns next to the bed...but they are all in the same place together, because that is where I keep them.

Miketodd04
June 19, 2010, 09:49 PM
I don't know about strategic placement but I have my edc near me during the day, than at night i keep it next to my bed, my wife has the .38 in the drawer and the shotgun ready to go in the closet.

Malamute
June 19, 2010, 11:22 PM
Not much home invasion around here that I've heard of. One happened a while back about halfway across the state, maybe last year, but the half wits that did it were caught quickly. I just keep everything loaded all the time, so I know whatever I pick up is ready to go. Critters are more likely to be a problem than people. The cloest neighbor came home a few weeks ago in the midle of the night to find a black wolf in his yard. I asked if he'd seen anything else, and he said he'd seen bear and Mt lion tracks in the yard.

Not much of a problem reaching a gun in my house, it's a one room cabin.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_1928.jpg

Old Grump
June 19, 2010, 11:35 PM
357 at bedside for immediate access, a loaded scoped 20 gauge pump loaded with turkey loads, (#4), and a short barreled 12 gauge semi-auto loaded with goose loads, (#3), by my bedroom door if I have to get up. No small kids in the house and when we have company with little munchkins that door gets locked. All 3 get shot often so they are known working guns with a fresh load of ammo in them.

Nnobby45
June 20, 2010, 12:29 AM

No. I'm concerned that, during a home invasion, I might be cut off from a weapon. That's why they're strategically placed so I can go in at least two directions and have access to a tool tht could save my life.

Not an expert, but It's my understanding that home invaders bring their own weapons, and that things happen very fast. Perhpaps they bust down the door and rush in, or try to con you in to letting them in by needing to use the phone, or even posing as cops. Once you open the door, they can then force their way.

Maybe you have them confused with burglars, although, there may be a fine line between a burglary and a home invasion. I don't think the words are interchangeable.

OldMarksman
June 20, 2010, 08:45 AM
If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need.I thought the same thing for decades---but then, I had not really thought about it much at all, until fairly recently.

It would have been all I needed--but only if I had been able to get to it in time (possibly in seconds) when I actually needed it.

A couple or three years ago, I read a review of the Charter Arms .44. The author mused about getting a second or third to stash somewhere 'in case' he couldn't get to another.

That opened my eyes. I had been keeping a gun near the bed since about 1964, and relying upon it.

I considered the layout of my house, the points of likely ingress, and the path to the bedroom for me and my wife from places we might be likely to be. I quickly realized that, for most contingencies, the gun in the bedroom would be useless. Why I had never thought that out before, I do not know.

I briefly considered the idea of placing guns in other places. My first thought was about added risk--risk of an accident and risk of theft. I was not concerned about the possibility of someone using it against me.

My second conclusion was that, for my particular situation and home layout, placing more guns around would be an ineffective and highly inefficient solution.

While I was wrestling with the problem, someone here posted a question about carrying while at home. Several people responded with comments about paranoia, and several said that they do just that. My initial reaction was to come down on the side of the former.

It took me a day or two to reason through it objectively. :)

CMichael
June 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
I completely agree. What if I hear a scream from upstairs from my wife where the intruder is, who happens to be in the same room with my firearms? I am screwed.

However, I now have a 20 gauge on the 1st floor, and I can defend her.

ir3e971
June 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
Your houses geography matters! I live in a split level. A kicked in front door means that you are in one of four quarters of the house. Two of those do not have exits, and require passing through the front entry way (where someone would access the house). So having a gun in each quadrant of the home means having the ability to access a firearm regardless of which section of the home you are in. Without multiple guns, you are cut off from a firearm in 75% of the house.

Also a burglar alarm is a big plus, it identifies where the window or door breaks.

In addition, I no longer have children at home. That would make me rethink this strategy.

Three years ago, there were a series of home invasions near here that involved kicking in the front door, and multiple assailants raced into the home. This made me rethink the single gun theory.

dhowie
June 20, 2010, 11:54 PM
Yes, I have loaded guns throughout my house. They are not "strategically" placed; rather, wherever I was the last time I handled them, that's where they are. Most are locked up in one of my safes. Probably twenty handguns in relatively plain sight, and a bunch of long guns in a vertical rack by the bed. I live alone, I'm middle-aged, and I'm not paranoid; I just don't give a s...

BillCA
June 21, 2010, 02:04 AM
There seem to be really 3 camps here.

1. Gun(s) in the bedroom/safe, secured or semi-secured.
2. Gun worn/carried or kept nearby inside one's own home.
3. Stragetically placed guns in different areas of the house, just in case.

Complacency is a problem we all face. We live in "nice" areas with few problems. Or we are confident our risks are low. Yet, when it happens, it often happens much faster than anticipated.

For those with guns secured, have someone 'randomly' set an alarm clock during a visit, so that it goes off sometime during your waking hours. If they're there when the alarm rings, invite them to follow you, screaming in panicked way to hurry up, move faster, etc. Any noise or screaming they want to interfere with your thinking. See how long it really takes you to acquire your firearm and be ready. A stop watch is handy for this too. Remember, you have to recognize what the alarm (sound) means, react to it, and obtain your weapon quickly.

If you're going to place weapons around the house, keep their locations consistent so you always know where they are located. I'd hate to run to a good location only to find I'd move the thing to some random place that I couldn't instantly remember under stress.

DanThaMan1776
June 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
I just keep my G17 loaded and in the closet. An AR mag is full in the safe as well. Some time in the near future I will upgrade to a Rem 870 to leave out at night.

Edward429451
June 21, 2010, 12:58 PM
You might think its a bad guy when it's really little Suzy.

Well what was little Suzy doing in my house, in this neighborhood, with a Quantam Physics book then? It was a good shot though right?:D

CMichael
June 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
That was funny.

rdmallory
June 21, 2010, 03:14 PM
I grew up with guns sitting next to every door. We lived in the country and we never knew when dad or mom would have to shoot a opossum out of a tree that the dogs have treed. Or kill a chicken snake in the chicken house.

Me and my sisters knew not to touch them. A 22Lr and a 12 gauge pump always for varmints. Except during deer season and the 30-06 would show up just in case that big buck shows up to eat out the the chicken pen. The coon dogs and Ginny hens kept the two legged kind on notice.

Doug

booker_t
June 21, 2010, 03:24 PM
Assuming you don't have kids around, you could always leave a nice shiny .44mag revolver out in plain sight, loaded HOT +P+ with a plugged up barrel.

Let 'em take it!!

CMichael
June 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
Too expensive of a loss.

Edward429451
June 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
But a darn good idea nonetheless, all but the destruction of the arm. Apply critical thinking skills at this point and lots of good ideas come up.

CPTMurdoc30
June 21, 2010, 05:19 PM
There was a guy on another board talking about this same thing a few days ago.

Cmike is that you? I seen all the ruckkus over that FTF.com and was amazed that they were so mean to you.

Looks like you found a home here though....

BTW I am rimfiremcnutjob over there.

CMichael
June 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
Thank you for your kind words. I got banned there. I am not surprised.

I simply had a difference of opinions and they started insulting me. There is a real herd mentality there.

They stated with what a stupid schmuck I was that I would even think of spreading my guns in my house. How, an intruder would use it against me.

How I could even think of disagreeing with them who all are great and powerful gun experts and know it alls :barf:

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I am happy to have a new home.

I never met such an intolerant group, and I have been on many message boards.

73-Captain
June 21, 2010, 05:57 PM
"I'm not that paranoid. If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need. All of the others are locked up safely. Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?"

Has absolutely nothing to do with being paranoid.

It has to do with not being stupid.

"Stagger Lee", take the blinders off and you might see other people have different needs than yours...

Due to points of entry and because of the size, shape and floor plan of a home, one gun may not provide adequate access.

That is the problem in my home.

In addition to my duty weapon, I keep one loaded gun in my bedroom and another in the opposite corner which happens to be the living room/kitchen area.

C.

Stevie-Ray
June 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
Assuming you don't have kids around, you could always leave a nice shiny .44mag revolver out in plain sight, loaded HOT +P+ with a plugged up barrel.

Let 'em take it!! Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!:D

FreakGasolineFight
June 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've heard some say that they leave a loaded handgun on the night stand next to the bed. Good idea? Yes? No?....What if the bad guy gets into your room and grabs it before you are aware of his presence? Like me, I'm sure many of us are heavy sleepers.

I have the same problem (heavy sleeper). I keep my gun under the pillow where it is neither visible nor attainable without waking me up.

CMichael
June 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
You may want to reconsider putting it under the pillow.

I thought this was really good.

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=xsxbn3-2ohg

FreakGasolineFight
June 22, 2010, 12:21 AM
You may want to reconsider putting it under the pillow.

I'm not sure I'm going to stop keeping my hd gun under a pillow because a dude with an admittedly killer 'stache warns me against it. I'm not even sure what he means by a 'really bad night'.

The gun is kept chamber empty, full magazine. It is inside the bottom pillowcase (two pillows) against the non-open end, and both the pillow and the gun are positioned so that I can slip my hand neatly under the pillowcase and retrieve the gun. As it is kept inside the far edge of the pillowcase, it never actually contacts my head, yet it is still kept so that it is impossible for anyone but me to retrieve the gun.

I'm a heavy enough sleeper that keeping a gun anywhere that I am not in direct control of it, even while asleep, is potentially dangerous. And by heavy sleeper I mean "I literally have to set three separate alarms to make sure I wake up in the morning."

Morgoroth
June 22, 2010, 08:44 AM
A good loud watch dog never hurt either.

I always heard that any size dog was the first thing BGs looked for.

The other strategy I have is that there is nothing in my house worth stealing.:D

CMichael
June 22, 2010, 12:54 PM
I think by a really bad night, he is saying that you can accidently shoot yourself in the head or someone else.

JonnyP
June 22, 2010, 01:06 PM
Lots of jabs in this thread. Here's my view.

1. Being prepared does not imply paranoia.
2. A readily available gun on each level of the house seems a good idea.
3. It's not always practical to have a gun your person at all times.
4. Don't recommend ever leaving a gun in plain view and unlocked, even if you live alone as the BG might get to it first.
5. Seems to me the best compromise is to get one of those mini safes for each floor of the house, bolt it to the wall in a not-so-obvious place but readily accessible, and keep a loaded gun in each.

Admittedly, some of the arguments in this thread seem to me to be fairly close-minded. I personally am not going to fault someone for having multiple guns around the house, nor for anyone wishing to keep one on his/her person all the time. Having been the victim of multiple break-ins throughout my life, I can understand wanting to be armed and ready no matter how a person chooses to do so. It's really none of my business anyway, even though I might say something to a close friend if I thought it would be better if he (fill in the blank).

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I say do what makes you feel safe in your own home, keeping the safety of invited guests in mind, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

CMichael
June 22, 2010, 01:11 PM
I completely agree.

We are ultimately responsible for our own castle, and need to do what we think is right.

JonnyP
June 22, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'd also like to add one more point.

For those with multiple guns around the house, having several of the same gun with the same caliber and means of operation seems a good idea too. Not required of course, but a good idea I think.

But if you do have different guns, like say a Glock in one location and an HK in another, make sure you're proficient with both and can operate either one blindfolded. Also don't recommend switching locations. Just adds confusion when the adrenaline is flowing...

FreakGasolineFight
June 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
I think by a really bad night, he is saying that you can accidently shoot yourself in the head or someone else.

Pretty tricky to shoot yourself without a round in the chamber, and I'd be very surprised if it happened even with. Probably best to stick to double-action pistols, though, which I do.

CMichael
June 22, 2010, 02:54 PM
Unless you accidentely leave a round in the chamber.

One of the rules of gun safety, always assume that guns are loaded.

In any case I don't want to come across like I am lecturing to you.

We all need to do what we feel is best for our own household.

yrralguthrie
July 3, 2010, 10:30 PM
It is fine to say something like "I would do it this way" or "I think this is better"; however, "Who in their right mind" or "that's a stupid way to do it" is simply out of line, showing their limited experience and knowledge.

Sort of like a person living in Minnesota asking in January "what sort of jacket do you wear that allows easy gun access"; and a person in Arizona replying "you have to be crazy to wear any jacket".

Sometime I ask for an opinion of another. Very seldom do I ask another to denigrate my person or position. Some on this forum and virtually all other gun forums never post without bad mouthing someone or something. I post on several types of forums and I can literally count negative comments on gun forum and negative comments on for instance a machinist forum and on an RV forum and the negative comments on the gun forums will easily outnumber the other two by a very wide margin. Lots of folks on gun forums seem to believe their way is the only way and don't mind saying so. During my working career I was not known as a sensitive person, but I'm a diplomat compared to some here.

To a moderator, maybe you can allow this and then cut off discussion as I'm fairly sure it will elicit some response. (grin)

ljg

ljg

CMichael
July 4, 2010, 08:49 AM
I must respectfully disagree.

This is one of the most civil gun forums I have been on.

I got banned in firearms talk. Why? Because I went against the herd.

Someone started a thread of a police officer using force, and the title of the thread was "Is this cop justified". I said no and gave my reasons why.

I got called an idiot and name called. I did not name call back. I stayed on the issue.

Then I started a thread about having multiple loaded guns. The herd said no that they wouldnt' have multiple loaded guns. I said that I do for the obvious reasons mentioned here.

I, once again, got name called, and personally attacked. I tried to stay with the issue. I got banned.

As I stated this place is the most civil gun oriented forum I have been on. I also personally have gotten valuable information from here.

Capt Charlie
July 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
Some on this forum and virtually all other gun forums never post without bad mouthing someone or something.

TFL Staff generally doesn't have a problem with the "something", but we can have a BIG problem with the "someone".

We don't stifle other people's opinions of issues; in fact, we encourage lively debate. Staff members here don't slap the ban button simply because we don't agree with your stance on the issue (unless, of course, that advocates illegal or dangerous practices, or is so irresponsible as to cast bad light on our RKBA). Staff will debate you the same as anyone else, and challenge you to defend your stance.

The Problem occurs when posters switch from attacking the issue to attacking the poster. Personal attacks are one of the fastest ways to getting banned here. There's a huge difference between "that's stupid" and "you're stupid".

To a moderator, maybe you can allow this and then cut off discussion as I'm fairly sure it will elicit some response. (grin)

The only way I'll cut it off is if it gets too far off topic, which was, I believe, "Multiple Loaded Guns in the House". ;)

yrralguthrie
July 5, 2010, 07:05 AM
I don't know if admin. was saying my post was ok, or I should stop...so I'll post a reply.

CMichael, this may be the most civil gun forum you've ever been on, I'm not debating that. I'm saying that gun forums on the whole are not very civil. Too many people with strong opinions that use the opportunity to attack a person rather than just state their position.

I am not relying on " a feeling" or an "opinion" when I say this. Again just considering two other forums, both very active, during the last year there have been no instances of "you have to be crazy" or anything close to that. These are things that go on continually in any gun forum I've read. I can almost read some minds right now, "well if you xxxx are so sensitive just go the xxx away". I'm probably about as sensitive a hog in a bucket of slop.

I just get tired of having to wade through attacks on people and their position from folks that cannot except anyone's ideas or opinion other than their own.

To keep this close to on the subject.

The original question was something to the effect "what do you think about keeping multiple guns in different parts of the house".

There are quite obviously valid reasons for doing this "without being crazy"

I keep a gun by my TV/internet chair and felt pretty good about it. Until I began to think of the times I would not be able to get to it in case of a intruder.

It would not always be possible to retreat to a "safer room" with a shotgun.

On the other hand if I had children in the house, I would not leave any guns unlocked anywhere in the house. Probably have a gun in a locked biometric safe.

Most forums have a policy that "no questions is a dumb question" Dumb question or not on most gun forums the poster is likely to be verbally abused and perhaps get their questions discussed.

One last thing. To those who did verbally abuse the poster about the number of guns to keep in the house...the exact same replies have been used by anti gun people about anyone keeping ANY (for emphasis not yelling) guns. Loaded or not, safe or by the chair. The exact same words...

ljg

chatman_55
July 5, 2010, 05:11 PM
I keep a shotgun in the closet of my spare room, and my pistol is at my bed side every night. I live alone and when I do have guests depending on who they are I may or may not leave the shotgun in the room with them.

CyberSEAL
July 6, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'm not that paranoid. If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need. All of the others are locked up safely. Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?

I guess someone with a different opinion isn't "in their right mind". Depending on your living situation, having guns placed around the house may be a good idea. I have a large house, and prefer not to carry 24/7 while at home. I have a gun in the garage, locked in a rolling toolbox. When I'm working in and around the garage, I'll just make sure my tookbox is unlocked and I'm good-to-go.

I also have one in my kitchen, not locked but kept in a safe and out of the way location. Unless you're carrying everywhere around your house, you will find yourself unprepared and running for your sole weapon should the need arise.

Be prepared.

hawk727
July 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
Just me and the wife. All the kids are gone. I keep a loaded gun in every room, out of sight. They only get moved when I shoot and clean them.

geetarman
July 7, 2010, 07:30 AM
What Hawk said.

I have a two story house and our kids are grown and gone.

I have some of my guitars upstairs and some in a rear bedroom where my computer is.

I keep a 4506 upstairs, a SIG P229 by the bed and a Bushie by the bedroom door. I keep a 5906 in the computer room and a G21 in the living room.

In the garage I keep a Security Six in the toolbox roll around. My safe is there but there are no loaded guns in it.

The troubles with illegals is getting worse and if someone comes in my door, I want a gun very close by that I can reach with minimum effort and I want it ready to go.

Looking back on this post, I wonder if it would be a good thing to reduce brand variation with one to maximize commonality of controls?

The actions required to fire the 4506 and 5906 would include moving the safety off as well as the long SA pull. I could replace one with the Springfield XDM and the other with a G17 and both are similar in operation. I might have to think on that some.

Geetarman:D

Old Grump
July 7, 2010, 12:06 PM
Looking back on this post, I wonder if it would be a good thing to reduce brand variation with one to maximize commonality of controls?That is exactly why my choice od SD/HD guns are what they are. In spite of being a long time competitor with service rifle and pistol my choices are revolver and shotgun because they are both the guns I use for most of my fun plinking and serious defense practice.

When I wake, I wake easy but it still takes a bit of time to get all the gears in synch and up to speed and my revolver is already in my hand with no safety's to mess with, no rounds to chamber, no magazines to install its point and go. By the time I am on my feet it gets swapped for my turkey gun even though the short barreled semi is right next to it. It gets used more often and is natural in my hands and instinctive to use in a hurried situation. If a shotgun muzzle doesn't put a crimp in a home breakers plans a load of turkey shot will and I can pump that gun and shoot it as fast as I can the semi plus I am more accurate with it. My Winchester and Mossbergs load, and function the same so it really doesn't matter which one I have in my fists. The only oddballs are the single shots and the bolt action shotguns and they are not in the mix for home invasion scenarios.

Daytime when I am wide awake and all my gears are running in the same direction I could just as easily go with my 1911A1, lever action, Garand or anything else in the house but at dark thirty I want simple and instinctive to protect my family and my home. Friends, family and neighbors know to stick head in door of living room and announce themselves, everybody else has no business in my house. Best not to perturb Old Grumps at dark thirty if your intentions are not honorable.