PDA

View Full Version : A5 for Trap

johnwilliamson062
July 1, 2008, 06:57 PM
I am planning to get an A5. I was not planning to use it for trap when I selected it as my semi auto shot gun. I now think I will probably shoot a bit of trap/5 position/whatever. The A5 is of course recoil operated. As such the weight of the load and charge have to be within tighter tolerances than with gas systems. I am eventually going to custom load things I am sure. Am I going to run into problems with normal custom loads in and A5? Should I just plan on getting a double barrel? I the cycling problem with custom loads internet lore that has me worried for no reason?

45Dave
July 1, 2008, 08:11 PM
You should have no problems with reloads in an A5...been doing that for mine for years. Some low recoil loads may not be heavy enough to cycle the action, only way to find out what works in yours is to shoot it.
One thought...if you are going to shoot trap on a regular basis you should get a shell catcher. This is a cheap devise to catch the shells so they do not fly out and hit the person to your right.

johnwilliamson062
July 2, 2008, 08:31 AM
I read the complaint thread about shell catchers and still forgot I needed one...
More money down the drain...

johnwilliamson062
July 2, 2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0058371290196a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_RESULTS_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ne=46&noImage=0&Ntt=shell+catcher&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=shell+catcher&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=54&nyr=1
Only $12, not as bad as I thought.

Scorch
July 2, 2008, 01:23 PM
Just learn how to set the friction rings and recoil springs for the A5 and you can shoot some pretty light loads. I never ran into problems shooting AA Trap loads out of my A5s.

Jeff Mulliken
July 2, 2008, 07:32 PM
I regularly shoot 1 oz loads out of my A5's with no cycling issues as long as I keep the velocity over 1170 fps. Most target loads are 1 1/8 so that should not be an issue.

If your shooting trap and dont want your shells flying around and dont want an ugly shell catcher on your gun, there is a solution Shoot a light load and set the rings for a heavy load. The barrel will move back under recoil softening the recoil, but will not go far enough to eject the hull and lock the chamber open. This allows you to hand eject each spent shell.

My favorite trap gun is a 1928 Auto-5 with a 30" first year vent rib barrel on it. It has a nice piece of french walnut on it. It's choked tighter than tight, 44 thousandths and can still smoke targets from the 27 yard handicap line.

It's the one on the bottom/left:

http://web.4girards.com:8080/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=13423&g2_serialNumber=2

http://web.4girards.com:8080/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=13426&g2_serialNumber=2

Jeff.

johnwilliamson062
July 2, 2008, 09:38 PM
My favorite trap gun is a 1928 Auto-5
SOLD
Seriously, thanks for all the info. I was really set on getting this gun, and when I read about recoil operation my heart sank. Glad I can work around it.

LanceOregon
July 8, 2008, 02:22 AM
I have a Japanese made 1977 vintage 12 gauge Browning A-5 that cycles every target load that I have ever put through it, including very light 7/8 oz loads.

All I do is put the friction ring in the light loads position, and keep the gun well lubed with Slip 2000, which is an incredible gun oil.