PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1100 12g. help

HondaCowboy82
June 27, 2008, 12:05 AM
got a remington 1100 magnum 12 gauge that i recently traded for. went and shot skeets today and it doesnt seem to throw out/cycle light loads all. havent tried heavys yet. do the MAGNUM 1100s usually have a problem with this/?? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

olddrum1
June 27, 2008, 12:38 AM
I believe the porting in the barrel is different. They are called magnums for a reason. Will not handle what I call light loads.

RoscoeC
June 27, 2008, 01:24 AM
That is the expected behavior. If you want to shoot light target loads, you can pick up a "Target" barrel in 2 3/4" chambering that should work well. I recently paid $155.00 for one. Check Barrel Exchange (http://www.barrelexchange.com/srch_1.cfm?manuf=Remington&ga=12+ga.&Submit=Search)

nutty ned
June 28, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, that is a problem with them.
If your not going to shoot skeet much and the range will let you shoot heavier loads.

oneounceload
June 30, 2008, 07:00 AM
That is the expected behavior. If you want to shoot light target loads, you can pick up a "Target" barrel in 2 3/4" chambering that should work well. I recently paid $155.00 for one. Check Barrel Exchange

Wouldn't the main spring need to be changed, along with the gas ports??

RoscoeC
June 30, 2008, 08:58 AM
Remington only lists one action spring for the 1100, 11-87 etc. The gas ports are already appropriately sized.

Pahoo
June 30, 2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, that is a problem with them.

Doesn't have to be and My 1100 is a 3" magnum and shoots light loads. I once won a bet by alternating light and heavy loads through mine. There is a very good article that covers this problem rather well, in the August 2008 issue of Shooting Times, starting on page 72.

Be Safe !!!

jentb737
June 30, 2008, 11:44 AM
Remington 1100 12 gauge barrels have either one fixed gas bleed port or two fixed gas bleed ports under the ring of the barrel that control the amount of high pressure gas that is bleed off the barrel at the tap point to operate, also known as, pump the action. Even the size of these gas bleed ports change depending on what length barrel and type of barrel it is. Your MAGNUM 12 gauge Remington 1100 barrel should only have ONE gas bleed port under the barrel ring. You could have a second gas bleed port drilled in your MAGNUM 1100 barrel and convert it to shoot standard 12 gauge loads. Drilling this gas bleed port will take some special tooling. It is probably eaiser to just buy a spare standard barrel with two gas bleed ports to shoot regular nonmagnum shotgun ammo. jentb737

http://www.thevirginiavintagers.com/

Ledbetter
June 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
Before you do anything, make sure the gas port(s) is CLEAN and that the action is lubed properly. Some guns need a breakin period before they will shoot low-power loads.

Good luck.

mikenbarb
June 30, 2008, 02:19 PM
+1 Ledbetter. I had the same one and the more I shot it the better it cycled. It is very important to keep them clean. They will shoot heavy skeet or trap loads a little better than the light ones. I used to use the Slick 50 tephlon lubricant on mine and it worked great and stayed pretty clean.

Pahoo
June 30, 2008, 03:41 PM
Before you do anything, make sure the gas port(s) is CLEAN

And, before you do that, read the Shooting Time article as it covers the ports, Piston seal and Piston alignment and more !!! ;)

Be Safe !!!