PDA

View Full Version : Actually getting shot...

Bob Lee Swagger
June 26, 2008, 06:30 PM
To anyone here that's had the misfortune of getting hit by a bullet (wearing a vest or not, accident or otherwise), how's it feel?

armedandsafe
June 26, 2008, 06:48 PM
The first time, I didn't feel anything until after I had rounded up my people and beat feet for the other side.

The second time, I was aware of receiving the shot, but was too busy concentrating on holding my sights to pay that much attention.\

In both cases, once I took the time to notice what had happened, IT HURT!

Pops

Playboypenguin
June 26, 2008, 07:07 PM
My body has only had contact with a bullet in motion on two occasions.

One, although not pleasant, was not that bad because it was just a grazing from a .22lr fired accidently by my sister while trying to disengage a safety when we were kids. It grazed the top right side of the rear of my skull. It barely nicked me but felt like getting hit with a big rock thrown at close range. I still have a small lump and scar from it.

The second was much worse. I shot myself in the top of my right foot with a .22 revolver. It entered the top of my foot and exited out the left side of my arch on my foot. It was immediately and incredibly painful. It felt like my foot had been torn off and continued to hurt for days after getting to the hospital and getting the wound cleaned and stitched up. My whole foot bruised up to above my ankle and was extremely sore. I have a nice three point star shaped scar on the inside of my arch on my right foot to this day. The doctor said I was lucky that I was not wearing shoes since the bullet sterilized the wound and did not force any foreign matter into it.

Bob Lee Swagger
June 26, 2008, 07:13 PM
by armedandsafe

Combat high? :confused:

Chui
June 26, 2008, 07:26 PM
Hurt like a SOB. Immediately. Just instant pain. Odd thing(s):

Adrenaline is f$!@g POWERFUL. And addictive. :D

You only *think* you're conscious of your surroundings in your day-to-day life. :D Experience intense pain and it's like everything in your periphery is as clear and concise as if you're staring through a microscope. I call it Superconsciousness for lack of terminology. Perhaps you'll/you'd respond differently. I dunno. One thing for sure Pain will cause Mental Clarity for me. Still does. Oh, breathing. Inhale deeply filling your lungs thru your mouth. Hold three ir four seconds. Exhale thru your mouth for one or 1.5 count. Repeat. Don't know where it came from but I later learned this is the so-called "proper" technique.

It's amazing how strong the smell of iron is in blood... :p

And I cannot speak for others but I heard a voice as clear as I can see my monitor state, "Control your breathing will control your heartrate which will control your blood flow. You'll be just fine." I did and I am. But I had rehearsed this potential event in my mind for quite some time... I think it's called Imagery.

Every heartbeat was painful but not incapcitatingly so and every 40, then 30, then 20... seconds a wave of pain would make me grit my teeth and focus to deal with it. It continued until eventually I went into shock on the ER table. As more blood was lost the more rapid the "wave of pain" came. It also became increasingly intense as time went on. It's Mind or Unconsciousness as time went on. Focus...

Odd thing else: it hurt more than anything else I've felt but I "knew" I could absorb more - not that I'm ever interested mind you.

Other things is that you realize time isn't what you think it is. It felt like days; it was only minutes. Maybe 35 or so.

I could sense as clear as the sun in the sky who in the ER gave a damn and who didn't. Those that did got direct, calm answers. Those that didn't were barked at. No conscious thought of my own was involved in any of this. I could see, smell and hear everything. I kept looking at my vitals on the machine monitoring my blood pressure and heart rate. I was analyzing my condition: elevated heart rate and decreasing blood pressure.

How long before I would have been incapacitated? Maybe 25 minutes. Maybe more. Depending on whether how much blood loss could be diverted. MUCH more important was my psychological state. I was a judoka (one who competes in judo) and a student of jujitsu. I also dabbled in open track events [sports cars on race tracks], autocross, etc. Why is this important? Because I was in great shape and could INTENTLY FOCUS my Mind - while remaining relaxed - at will for 20 minutes or more (one track session) at a time. I also meditated on driving as well as the judo/jujitsu regularly. I was doing both very well. So performing under pressure wasn't new. I also competed in Track & Field at a high level since I was 11 years old. Applying this nurtured ability to anything is the true goal looking back. Athletes should be the best of the best at just about everything they put their minds to. But that's another story/theory/thread for another time.

Caliber: 9mm JHP
Location of Wound: Left Hand

The psychological trauma was far worst then the physical - including surgery, therapy, etc., questioning will you obtain much use out of my damaged hand. If so, how much? I still play judo, jujitsu, shoot (obviously), mountain bike, canoe, kayak, etc. I'd guess I have 70% use (loss of fine motor control) but shooting, grabbing, etc is fine.

I hope ALL get something out of this:

Lose control/focus and you die.

A bullet not in a vital will NOT kill you immediately.

You can take far more punishment than you can imagine and bounce back.

You may wish to use visualization techniques of injuries, shootings, ..., anything that will paralyze most persons in fear such that you'll "know what to do" if you ever "meet the elephant" - no matter what "YOUR elephant" may be. Mind over matter - or you'll not long matter.

'Hope this answers your question.

I'd be interested in the psychological aspects of anyone else whose been hit.

Addendum:

I was hit with the jacket of a 9mm while training. It dug into the skin of my leg. It felt sharp but I finished the drill. I didn't think much of it until I could feel the blood trickling down my leg. I managed to pull it out - it was weird because it took a while. It definitely causes a flinch response but I managed to get good hits but they were just left of intended target.

X Poacher
June 26, 2008, 07:37 PM
I was shot at 60 yards or so accidentally with a 12 guage #6 bird shot if this qualifies me as getting shot. I got hit in the back of the head, back, arms and hands. It took about 2 or 3 seconds before it actually started hurting. Only 3 pellets actually penetrated, the other bounced off. Thank God.

dragonfirex
June 26, 2008, 07:43 PM
I took a 12 ga to the back also , felt like a linebacker hit me full speed from behind ,burned at first ,then the pain came in waves , to this day i still have a large amount buried in my back , and yes the smell of iron is really strong in the blood and so is smoking flesh .

Bob Lee Swagger
June 26, 2008, 07:45 PM
by dragonfirex

to this day i still have a large amount buried in my back

They couldn't get it all out?

dragonfirex
June 26, 2008, 07:48 PM
A good part of the shot that is still there went flat when it hit bone ,they took out all they could get that might cause problems around the spine and so on ,the rest was left because it wasnt a threat to any vitals .

Playboypenguin
June 26, 2008, 07:52 PM
A good part of the shot that is still there went flat when it hit bone ,they took out all they could get that might cause problems around the spine and so on ,the rest was left because it wasnt a threat to any vitals .
My grandfather had a bullet still in his back for as long as I could remember. I do not recall if it was from Korea or WWII.

hoytinak
June 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
Combat high?

Yep...adrenaline is a wonderful thing. I've never been hit with a bullet direct but got shrapnel (metal and glass both) in the neck and face from my M68 that a bullet hit while I was firing. I didn't feel it till I seen the blood. :cool: Here's the M68:

Edit: Also got hit with rocksalt out of a 12ga at about 30yrds in the back, had to go the the hospital to get it taken out...stung pretty good. (I was young a stupid..lol)

Hawg
June 26, 2008, 07:56 PM
It hurts like a mutha.

Spectre
June 26, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hoyt,

That's a waste of a perfectly good CCO! :D

Glad you're alive.

tony pasley
June 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
Getting shot screws up your whole day not to mention the next few weeks.

Bob Lee Swagger
June 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hit by anything stronger than .223/5.56mm NATO?

OnTheFly
June 26, 2008, 11:11 PM
Glad to say this hasn't happened to me.

However, my uncle related a story to the family about invading Germany during WWII. He was shot in the arm and while in the Army hospital the chaplain came to his bedside to provide comfort. He asked my uncle "What was your first thought after being shot?" expecting some religious epiphany. My uncle just looked at him and answered "ouch!".

Fly

Captain38
June 26, 2008, 11:36 PM
"Getting SHOT AT is no big deal, but getting SHOT SUCKS!!!

armedandsafe
June 26, 2008, 11:53 PM
by armedandsafe

Quote:

Combat high?

Combat high is a good term for it. The first time, we were on the wrong side of a border in Europe and a bouncing betty went off. That got the high started, and then a border guard drove up. He and I wrestled for a couple of hours (or, perhaps, seconds) and he put a round from his rifle through my right hand, which was holding his muzzle in a "safe" direction. I think "combat high" pretty well covers it.

Second time was in a fire fight in a rural city with some unfriendlies who thought they had a grudge against me. I had reloaded my 1917 once already when I got hit in the shin. Yes, I think "combat high" would apply there, also.

Actually, I forgot to mention the first time I got shot. However I was a young lad in someone else's melon patch, so that doesn't really count, does it? :p

Pops

TexasSeaRay
June 27, 2008, 09:30 AM
To anyone here that's had the misfortune of getting hit by a bullet (wearing a vest or not, accident or otherwise), how's it feel?

Why not go sign up to stand in harm's way and see for yourself?

Jeff

Derius_T
June 27, 2008, 04:32 PM
I posted my experience in a thread around here a long time ago, but since I'm lazy, I'll give a bit of info.

Was hit by a high caliber round in a very intense combat situation. I had absolutely NO IDEA that I was shot until the medic dove on me and wrestled me to the ground. It kinda felt like someone punched me or hit me with a blunt object really hard, but I got up and kept going. Once I realized I was hit, the brain kicked in and it started to hurt.

(says alot about the brain and various chemicals)

gvf
June 27, 2008, 04:53 PM
deleted

Rant Casey
June 27, 2008, 04:54 PM
I've had the misfortune three times, and would like to not experience it again. Once as a young teenager, took some rock salt in my calf trespassing. Boys will be boys I suppose. Later in life a "friend" had an ND and put a FMJ 9mm through my forearm, that hurt quite a bit more than the rock salt but didn't actually hurt or bleed for about 10 seconds. Then the granddaddy of all my idiotic bullet wounds would have to be a a 7.62x39 that managed to go through a door deflect off my pelvis and find a cozy spot in my small intestine, take a nap and stay for a while. That one, didn't so much feel like getting shot but more like getting hit with an RPG that didn't want to go bang that day. Not a pleasent experience. The next day a buddy of mine took three shoots to the face and mangled him up something awful, coma for weeks and still has some facial deformity. All in all, bullets are nasty, avoid them :o

gvf
June 27, 2008, 04:59 PM
No, I haven't, but because it's instructive about stopping-power as well as a specific description I was given of being shot, I'll relate the experience of a friend, from years ago:

In his apt. alone, there was a knock at the door, mid-afternoon. Opening it he saw a man with a gun standing there who demanded his wallet. He complied. The man ran away and just as he turned to do so, my friend heard a couple of faint pops.

He said he closed the door, and just stood there, feeling disoriented, he assumed from the shock of the event. He felt nothing else for a bit, then became aware of a feeling of wetness on his shirt around his abdomen, and absent-mindedly put his hand there. It got wet and when he looked at it, it and his mid-section were covered in blood. He's been shot 2x with a .22 in the guts. He called 911, and then fell over and passed out.

Luckily, medics came in time to get him into a hospital, but they almost lost him. He had multiple major surgeries, removal of parts of his intestine - and was generally screwed up physically and psychologically for over a year.

He's OK now. The shooting is thankfully in the remote past.

(The part about "stopping power" is the length of time it took for him to realize even that he'd been shot.)

simonkenton
June 27, 2008, 08:11 PM
"I could sense as clear as the sun in the sky who in the ER gave a damn and who didn't. Those that did got direct, calm answers. Those that didn't were barked at. No conscious thought of my own was involved in any of this. I could see, smell and hear everything. I kept looking at my vitals on the machine monitoring my blood pressure and heart rate. I was analyzing my condition: elevated heart rate and decreasing blood pressure.

How long before I would have been incapacitated? Maybe 25 minutes. Maybe more. Depending on whether how much blood loss could be diverted. MUCH more important was my psychological state. I was a judoka (one who competes in judo) and a student of jujitsu. I also dabbled in open track events [sports cars on race tracks], autocross, etc. Why is this important? Because I was in great shape and could INTENTLY FOCUS my Mind - while remaining relaxed - at will for 20 minutes or more (one track session) at a time. I also meditated on driving as well as the judo/jujitsu regularly. I was doing both very well. So performing under pressure wasn't new. I also competed in Track & Field at a high level since I was 11 years old. Applying this nurtured ability to anything is the true goal looking back. Athletes should be the best of the best at just about everything they put their minds to. But that's another story/theory/thread for another time.

Caliber: 9mm JHP
Location of Wound: Left Hand"

Chui: All this sturm and drang for a pistol wound to the hand?
I hope this was written as a joke.
If not, you take yourself way too seriously.

I feel sorry for the dedicated ER personnel who had to put up with a Mall Ninja with a pistol wound to the hand.

evan1293
June 27, 2008, 08:39 PM

I feel sorry for the dedicated ER personnel who had to put up with a Mall Ninja with a pistol wound to the hand.

:D

I feel bad at laughing at someone's pain but this is a pretty funny comment.

Personally I was never shot but I had a .30" rod go through my right hand. It was about 8" long and it was a part from a table saw that rattled loose and launched at me. It hit me so hard it seemed to spin me around. When I looked at my hand about 4" of it was sticking out of my palm. I instantly pulled it out and ran about 50' just from the shock of it. My hand was completely numb for about 15 minutes. Then when my adrenaline settled down I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out.

After that experience, I really, really don't want to get shot.

Rant Casey
June 27, 2008, 08:52 PM
When I first read it, I thought I was reading a story about a sucking chest wound, not a hand wound. May I ask how you got shot through the hand? Self inflicted?

Give him a break though, getting shot hurts, I don't know if I'd dramatize a hand wound that badly, but it's not a good feeling. When my buddy had an ND through my forearm I swore quite a bit, mainly at him. My martial arts training didn't change much though, still had a hole in my arm. When I caught the pelvic shot I was more focussed with returning fire to realize the severity of it and worry about controlled breathing, to be honest all i could think of was "if i get out of this, I'm going to get to sleep in a nice comfy bed". What would I do different? Stay away from bullets fired at me.

Rangefinder
June 27, 2008, 09:32 PM
Combat high is a good term for it.

Yup. Amazing what that little chemical in your bloodstream can do. I had a round skip through my leg when I was laying prone. I'm guessing the roung actually hit the dirt about 8-10 feet in front of me and separated. Chunks of jacked tore my shin up pretty good, but that was mainly just surface junk. The lead core smacked right into my shin bone, trailed under the skin and exited at the outside of my ankle. Part of the lead was still in my boot later. What it initially felt like was the guy behind me smacking me in the foot to tell me he was coming up on my six. But when I glanced over my shoulder the nearest guy on my right six was still dug in behind cover about 15 feet away. I didn't even realize I took a hit until I tried to scramble over to a better position and it felt like my foot was burning--kind of somewhere between that sharp needle throb when your foot falls asleep and when you have your feet kicked up by the campfire too long and then notice finally that it's getting really hot. Still never knew I actually took a pass-through until much later. Then it really started hurting---that would be the post combat high come-down...

It WAS kinda nifty having to do the whole saline flush through the hole afterward just because the nerves in my leg and foot were all screwed up. It didn't hurt, just felt really cooooold, like my foot was frozen from the inside out.

I took a graze in the left shoulder also, but that really isn't even worth talking about--I got worse than that in highschool welding shop. As for a full impact with a pass-through... Very interesting experience. Wouldn't recommend it.

Chui
June 27, 2008, 09:59 PM

Well, simpleton, stick out YOUR hand. Then we can read the response of a loser in his mom's basement typing away... :barf:

Please fill us all in what it's like to lose three + units of blood.

Stay away from bullets fired at me.

Bingo!

Rant Casey
June 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
chui, how'd you end up with a hole in your hand?

T. O'Heir
June 27, 2008, 10:59 PM
Been hit by a long spent jacketed .45 once. It was like getting hit by a stone. Scratched my hide near the knee, bounced down to my ankle and hit the ground. No big deal, but certainly not the same as having one penetrate your personal ecosystem.
Knew a guy who walked off the Dieppe beach(19 August 1942) with 8 bullet holes in him. One of which was a compound leg fracture. Johnny, all 5 foot nothing of him, didn't know it until the MO on the ship asked him how he got off the beach. The 'pucker factor' was very high that day.

ElectricHellfire
June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM
Interesting thread. Ive never been shot but working in the ER and ICU Ive seen my share of all types of wounds. And yes the heme component in blood is strong enough to make you sick when you smell it all over the floor and you. Not as bad as a GI Bleed smell but pretty ghastly.

As a side note, my wife once shot herself through one of the lesser toes with a .22. She said it never really hurt until the dressing changes.

Derius_T
June 28, 2008, 01:57 AM
Chui, I don't think anyone meant any offense, but its just that the gist of your story sounded like you were describing a life threatening gunshot wound, and were seconds from death, with only your willpower keeping you alive....only to find out you were shot through the hand.....

dude.....seriously........the hand......dude.....seriously......

Odd Job
June 28, 2008, 02:59 AM
Indeed it would be useful to know more about that injury, Chui.
What part was hit, which vessels had to be repaired, were there any fractures? Was it penetrating or perforating? Did the bullet enter the hand but do most of its damage in the wrist or distal forearm? There are many variables in gunshot wounds.
Also it makes a big difference if it is contact wound, because the muzzle gases go into the body and make the damage much worse.

HKFan9
June 28, 2008, 03:29 AM
Thankfully I never experienced getting shot, and probably never want to. At one point I was going to sign up for the armed service but my ankle stopped me from doing that. I can concur the powers of adrenaline. When I was back in high school I was a pretty serious soccer player, and ended up shattering my ankle the worst way imaginable, according to the doctors. I remember hearing a very sharp and loud popping sound as I face planted onto the ground, and thought to myself that I had just snapped my shin in half. I rolled over to look down, that's when I noticed my left foot actually pointing left, and the bone from my ankle, coming out of the skin pointing RIGHT, I though to myself, well something doesn't seem right here...;) It never actually hurt, and they said I was never in shock. My friend called 911 and I laid there laughing and cursing about it. The paramedics asked me if i consumed any alcohol or illegal substances, I said no, because I didn't. He then turned to me, and said "how the f**k are you laughing then?" I said it doesn't hurt I don't know.

Long story short I ended up shattering my Fibula (smaller leg bone) and breaking the end of it off that holds your ankle together, that was the bone I saw coming out of the skin. I cracked the Tiba (bigger leg bone), dislocated the ankle since I broke the end of the Fibula, and managed to tear all the ligaments and tenants. Now I have a metal plate and 8 screws residing in my ankle permanently.

This doesn't really compare to getting shot, but can go to show that adrenaline is very powerful stuff, and until that day, probably never understood just how amazing and probably life saving in a different situation than a broken ankle it can really be.

azsixshooter
June 28, 2008, 04:07 AM
I shot the bottom of a large gas cylinder with my .357 and something came back and hit me in the outside of my left (support hand) forearm. It was a little tiny cut about 1/4" but was bleeding profusely. More than what I would think such a small cut should bleed and I have experienced a lot of cuts over the years. At first I thought I just got nicked, but something is embedded in there. I can feel the lump and it's like it's stuck in the bone. I can even see the lump when I hold up both forearms in a mirror.

Here's a pic of the cylinder I shot. It tipped over and I shot the bottom. The bullet hit the edge of the main tube on the bottom (rather than the concave bottom plate) and that's why it ricocheted so severely.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa96/gentat/HolyFireExtenguisher.jpg

When I flew back home to Michigan (go Wings!) for Xmas I was bs'ing with the TSA guy because there was no line or anything and I told him about it. He set his scanner on high-sensitivity and checked my arm, but it didn't beep or anything. He said if there was any lead or copper in there it would probably set off the wand. So maybe it's just a tiny rock or something in there. If I ever get insurance I'll get it checked out/removed. Until then, it gets sore when the temperature drops.

I wouldn't want to find out what it feels like to get hit with a .357 Mag slug, that's for sure!

Odd Job
June 28, 2008, 06:44 AM
Those wands don't have the sensitivity you need to pick up small projectile fragments. Get that X-rayed.

Chui
June 28, 2008, 07:04 AM
My roommate mishandled the pistol which was stoked with Corbon 115 grain 9 mm JHP +P ammo. I was standing next to him and BAM!

It went through between the thumb and forefinger portion of the palm at and blasted out ring finger metacarpal while breaking all but the index finger metacarpal. There was obvious nerve damage and it blasted away the lumbricals, obviously

Had three surgeries: debriding, bone graft, K-wire removal. With lots of occupational therapy in between.

Now for the ignorant in the audience:

So, any of you "internet toughies" wish to "give me hand" to prove/disprove what I say? I really don't think so - not that I blame you.

The point of sharing what I did is that all here profess to own for "self-defense." By stating that you "prepare" for the "unthinkable" which is what? Facing another individual with intent to kill you. It may be a knife (can't help you here); it may be with his bare hands (I could offer pointers) or it may be with a firearm. Everyone thinks they'll not get hit, punched, kicked or shot in the process. Well, when you DO get contacted you have some idea from an individual who shared his experiences.

At or around the time I was injured I was told (never verified but not hard to belive depending on circumstances) that a Los Angeles County offier was also hit in the hand. He died. I didn't. I got medical attention much quicker than he did apparently: you must stop the bleeding. If you don't you go into hypovolemic shock and ultimately death. But along the way you'll experience some interesting things which I've chosen to share with you.

Oh, hypovolemic shock is very interesting,too. You're cold an you begin to shake uncontrollably. Then the lights go out and there is peace. "Coming back" is as described in some movies: it hurts worse than the original accident.

Stay safe!

Bob Lee Swagger
June 28, 2008, 07:21 AM
I appreciate Chui's in-depth posts, and if he was able to recall more of the incident...power to him!

--

by TexasSeaRay

Perhaps you can contribute to the topic next time?

Superhouse 15
June 28, 2008, 07:48 AM
I got hit with #4 buckshot, 9 pellets to the arms, groin, leg, and part of my back. All I felt at first was a rush of air, the closest thing I can describe is like being next to a fire lit with gas. Just a hot rush of air. I lost the strength in my left arm temporarily, but was able to walk and function and could have fired back if I had to if I had used my right hand. Never hurt till hours later.

Still have a souviner in my left leg, too. Docs say it would cause more damage taking it out. It has moved a lot over the years.

TexasSeaRay
June 28, 2008, 09:33 AM
Perhaps you can contribute to the topic next time?

7.62x39 -- Libya, 1981 (military)

7.62x39 -- Nicaraugua, 1984 (military)

9mm -- Miami, 1990 (law enforcement)

You'll find out its not a video game or TV show.

Jeff

DAWGTRAXX
June 28, 2008, 10:00 AM
about 17 years ago, a friend and I were putting an engine,transmission in a 1967 impala, in a barn, dirt floor ,about 40 degrees outside, i was under the car,(it was on ramps), guiding the tailshaft over the crossmember, the chain on the hoist slipped, smashing my thumb between the tailshaft and crossmember,(smashing digits in cold weather hurts) after spewing muliple profanities,and climbing out from under the car,thumb throbbing,i grabbed a beretta .25 that he kept over the door frame in the barn and proceeded to shoot the offending veh in the left door..(mistake)..bullet bounced off and hit me in the left knee,it felt like someone had hit me with a baseball bat..i was instantly face down in the dirt,thumb,knee, and pride hurting, didnt break skin,but left a big welt, and bruised heavily over the next few days,lesson learned..don't hunt impalas with a .25

Rifleman 173
June 28, 2008, 10:09 AM
In my case it was like somebody laid a white hot piece of metal against my left arm. Talk about hurt! I didn't get hit square but took one that more or less scraped my arm. It raised a welt and blistered for a number of days and then finally went away. The bullet also made like an oblong hole in my sleeve too. I couldn't figure that one out unless it depended on how the cloth was laying at the time I got hit.... Who knows?

Brit
June 29, 2008, 05:53 AM
Spent 23 years as a full time firearms Instructor, a class indoors, targets came back for the bulls eye shooters on a wheeled metal frame (a big one!) a big dent in part of the steel went un-noticed (12 gauge slug?) we shot standing free on range proper.

My classes were max ten students, 5 on the line at a time, all revolver shooters on this occasion, shooting from holsters (ATM employees) verbal commands, stop watch in right hand.

Part of a two shot drill, 158g 38 Special reload found this dent and came right back, at my face, a twitch to the left, and all 158g hit the middle of the back of the right hand (holding a stop watch) driving the right knuckles into my top lip, split lip, loose teeth (teeth were fine in a few days) still have the ragged 1" scar, bled like mad, swelled up instantly, ran under cold tap for a while, it did hurt!a lot! finished class, bunch of band aids, not a place to go with a "Gun shot" wound to a Hospital at that time, not sure how I would have been if I had not moved, seemed to be heading for my throat.

Threefeathers
June 29, 2008, 09:23 AM
I've been wounded 4 times in military service. I see that one of the folks was hit in Nicarauga one of mine was in Honduras I'd like to see if we had some mutual friends.
1 1961 Berlin a bayonet wound at riot control Prior to the Wall. It required 72 stitches and I was on my stomach in the Berlin Hospital for 5 weeks. The initial didn't hurt at all, but the recovery was extremly painful as it kept getting infected. I was awarded the Purple Heart which was taken away because someone decided it 'wasn't combat', It is due to be re-instated.
2. 1967 near the Cambodian border on Route 5. Piece of Mortar round skidded off a Jeep and slid down my flack jacket tearing a nice hole in my left shoulder. It was fairly deep but tore muscle up. Nice scar. It really burned, and I mean burned. I have a piece of the shrapnel on my desk.
3. In Houduras in 1986 I was with 19th Group. We woked with the Gardia Civil or something like that and we were protecting the American Construction folks who were working a Ilipango ? (I can never spell this dang place) Airbase. We were in the mountains southwest near the border and had a group of bandits trapped. We were supposed to keep them pinned so the Houduran folks could capture them. We had a single M-60 machine gun and it was hot. My gunner, (Bob Lewis) told me that the gun was getting hot, I told the assistant gunner to pour some canteen water on it. Suddenly the gun jammed and the idiot did what he sould never have done, he opened the feed tray cover. (You never, never do that) I was standing behind him and had just taken my binoculars down from my eyes. We had a triple cook off. It was fast and one round tore the bottom of my eye out. It was a straight cut that tore muscle and facial bone but didn't hurt my eyeball. I have never even imagined such pain. I saw red-blood, white and then my face went numb. What was worse is that I had to walk nearly a mile to get to a place where a Helo could medivac me out. Luckilly for us the Hondurans had showed up (They were actually getting pretty good). One of them helped me joined Mike W. in getting me to the evac area where the helo was waiting.
I was in good hands within 20 minutes.
Here is where I'd like to talk to the fellow who was in Nicaragua because when I got to the Airbase and the large dispensary I met a Contra officer who was being treated for an eye disease. By that time my eye was swelled but the pain killers were working. Anyway this fellow spoke really fluent English and he told me that he was a teacher in his country and wanted to fight the Communists. I was waiting medivac to Brooke and I was actually interested in speaking to him. What I didn't realize is that he had a rare eye disease that can only be passed if a person is, Exhausted so there is no resistance, and has an open eye injury. I had both.
I was evacuated to Brooke, then sent to the University of AZ Medical Hospital which is still contracted by the military for serious eye injuries. (Dr. Dean Brick).
A year later I was coaching football when I began to get a serious head ache. One of my players said, "Coach, your eye is ****ed up, there's puss running down it." (Tim Taylor whose Dad was the Sgt Major at Ft. Huachuca)
He called his Dad who is still a good friend and they called my wife and an army car took us to the U A Hospital. I was really lucky because one call from Tim's Dad and my paperwork was ready. Dr. Brick looked at the eye and called in a class of medical students. My wife was crying because she overheard one of the students say, "blind within 24 hours."
Luckilly the Mayo Clinic (I love them) had developed an experimental med that can stop and control the disease but not cure it. Dr. Brick had already called them and these wonderful folks drove it from Phx to Tucson. It has worked.
I was in the Tucson VA last Monday getting my 6 month check up because the disease hit twice last year.

4. In 1989 I was teaching a class in Call for Fire. We were at Mortar hill at Camp Roberts. CA. A NG Mortar platoon was firing 4.2 mortars and I was the 19 Delta instructor. I made the first call and we waited for the round to land. All of a sudden someone in FDC yelled on the radio, "Short Round!" I yelled for everyone to hit the dirt. I made certain all of the youngsters were down when i heard the round,. (A spinning end over end 4.2 makes a helicopter blade sound) I was on my back and I saw the damnthing as ait spun down. It it about 50 meters in front of my position and I was hit by a small fragment that must have gone up and then arced down. It taged me in the right femur muscle and it burned like hell, but was a minor wound. Boy were the N G folks excited. I only spent a day in the Ft. Ord Hospital and one of the Guard officers took mt to dinner on the wharf in Monterey.

I have 50 % disability now and that is some good gun money.

Some of you guys should put your money where your mouths are and enlist.

Chui
June 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
For those who have been hit may I ask a personal question? From my experience after I was aware of the fact that my hand was crushed the rest of the experience - or most of it - was mental (control breathing, etc. and weird levels of awareness). What, may I ask, were your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Threefeathers
June 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
I realized after both shrapnel wounds I was going to be ok. I remember sitting back a bit dizzy both times. In VN I gave my best friend a can of beenie weenies when Dusty came in. There were other guys hit worse and I just kept my mouth shut. The left side of my body sort of went numb but I think that is an automatic muscle reaction.
My eye was different, it really hurt, I didn't care if I bitched and cried a bit. I can't describe the pain in an eye, but think of poking your eye and you can't do anything about it. When I got back to the medics I got a shot and when the swelling stopped the bleeding the pain started to go away. When I got to Brooke I was surprised that my jaw was so sore.

Brit
June 30, 2008, 06:13 AM
Threefeathers,

You seem to attract metal! Are you a big person? Little guys make smaller targets don't you know, LOL.

Is the research on the Tropical eye disease ongoing?

Did my National Service in the UK, a few injury's, nothing like yours.

Keep Safe.

ActivShootr
June 30, 2008, 08:11 AM
Ricochet from a 12ga. slug. I shot a stump about 20 yds away and the slug came right back at me. It felt like someone punched me in the stomach and left a bruise the size of my fist. Still have the slug as a reminder of what not to do. :o

Threefeathers
June 30, 2008, 09:40 AM
I'm a big boy, I played collegiate American football and was a collegiate wrestler.
All but one of my wounds were relatively minor. I didn't list the injuries in training that were much worse (M113 driving over a 12 foot cliff at night and cargo hatch breaking the safety pin and hitting me in the head,splitting my CVC and putting me in a 10 day coma. My wife was told then I wouldn't make it. Again Fort Ord Medical Center rescues me.)
The eye disease is being researched and I'm one of the volunteers. There are three of us in S AZ who have it, all of us were in the same area in different years. One funny thing, when I go to the Ft. Huachuca Hospital and ther is a new Pharmacist they always say, "Hey I knew this med existed but theis is the first time I've ever dispensed it." I'm a medical celebrety.:p
Hey if you were a Brit, I was stationed as an exchange soldier with the Green Jackets in 61 in Berlin. Great Group.

a10t2
July 1, 2008, 03:22 PM
I was trail running once when some ******* mistook me for a deer (out of season BTW) and fired a load of 00 buck at me from about 50 yards. Fortunately he was leading me either too much or not enough and I only caught three pellets. One grazed the back of my head, which bled like crazy but didn't even require stitches (although I have a groovy scar). One tunneled in just under the skin under my shoulder blade and was easy to pull out. The third came straight into my right shoulder joint, chipped off a couple little pieces of bone and exited out my armpit, cracked a rib and wound up on the ground.

From what I can remember I felt no pain at all for at least a couple minutes. I had to walk about 1.25 miles back to the road though, and by the time I got there my shoulder felt like I was being stabbed every time my heart beat. I was actually more worried about the head wound because I couldn't see it and even with pressure on it I couldn't get the bleeding to stop. I didn't even know I'd been hit in the back until I got to the hospital.

Bailey Boat
July 1, 2008, 03:44 PM
One of those "shame on me" things but I once shot myself in the head. A friend and I were shooting the knobs on the dash of an old car down in a field that had outlived it's purpose. I was shooting a .38 with wadcutters and about 1/2 of one ricocheted back and hit me about at the hair line and buried up about an inch under the skin. It hurt more coming out than it did going in!!!!! I just assumed that I had been stung by a wasp or a bee and we kept shooting until I felt the lood running down my face.
Not life threating, but it hurt like hell at the time. The only thing that saved me was my hard head..... :D

9mmkungfu
July 1, 2008, 06:16 PM
I didn't even realize I had been shot at first. Once I figured it out, it hurt a LOT.

P99AS9
July 1, 2008, 06:24 PM
Does a BB gun count :D?

jmr40
July 1, 2008, 06:44 PM
Luckily, only a ricochet. Plinking with a .357 mag at a dump site years ago a bullet went through my target and into some brush beyond. I saw a white object come out of the brush and hit my shin below the knee. Felt like being hit by a rock thrown pretty hard. I thought it was a piece of rock until I tried to pick up a badly deformed and very hot piece of lead. Someone had dumped a load of concrete block and the kudzu had overgrown it to the point that you could not see it.

Unless you are from the south you may have to google kudzu. Nasty stuff that can grow several feet per day

G_note007
July 1, 2008, 07:23 PM
Can't say i've ever been shot. But, a VERY good LEO friend of mine was shot in the legs with a .357 snub trying to push an elderly woman back into her apartment and out of the line of fire. He's a pretty big guy 6'6" 240. Basically, the ******* stood at the foot of the steps and got in 6 badly aimed shots and ran away when his gun started clicking. My friend had suffered a fully broken femur, massive blood loss from T&T'S and several fractures. The ******* was never caught. However, my friend still walks and can run for several blocks.

That's ****in' amazing.

pardon the french.

Triple8
July 1, 2008, 07:33 PM
My hat is off to you folks that took one or more for the team...

I served in the USN during non combat times (the 80s) and one of my COs was a river boat officer in Vn. He had an arm full of scars from his experience and went on to become Commander of the Atlantic fleet in the late 90s (Adm Nader).

I wondered what it would be like to be shot and have the presence of mind to continue the fight and save others. Thanks for sharing your experiences...Even if the experience was off the battlefield. 888

Glockeroo
July 1, 2008, 07:41 PM
My father (retired Philadelphia, PA police officer) was shot in the line of duty in the chest with a 38 revolver. To this day, I've never asked him about the incident in detail. Unless he brings it up, it's never discussed. He has nerve damage to his right arm as well. He's a tough cookie, and I'm very lucky to have him around. It happened when I was 4 years old.

threegun
July 3, 2008, 06:13 PM
I was hit twice by a couple of 45's that bounced back off a bowling pin during a match. One hit the back of my hand and hurt only as much as a paint ball hit. The other hit my shin bone. That one hurt a bit more. Neither penetrated.

Bob Lee Swagger
July 4, 2008, 10:27 AM
by threegun

I was hit twice by a couple of 45's that bounced back off a bowling pin during a match.

Huh...someone was firing .45's during a bowling match? How did that happen? :eek:

Creature
July 4, 2008, 10:58 AM
Bowling pins are commonly used targets for pistol matches.

http://www.womenandguns.com/archive/old0901issue/pix0901/pins5.jpg

Check.

kraven
July 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
Once with a 12 ga birdshot load. It was the kind of guy who buys a heavier bullet so it can cut through the brush. He mistook me for a deer and shot me. I threw my arms up and only got a pellet in the chin for my trouble. It's still there.

Once with a rifle round. It zipped nicely through my OD's and my left pectoral muscle. Felt like I'd been pinched and twisted real hard. I already had the high from being shot at, so I didn't notice being shot until later.

It's one thing to have a guy mistakenly blast you with a scattergun. It's entirely different to know that a person is firing at you with malice.

RDak
July 5, 2008, 11:51 PM
.22lr was a SHARP sting.

.38 Special, shoulder went numb. Not much pain at all but it "hit hard" if you get what I mean.

Of course, both wounds were very sore while healing.

Rich Miranda
July 6, 2008, 12:12 AM

Seems to me you'd not say this if YOU had been shot in the hand. I've never been either, but with all those bones so close together, it's gotta hurt. Besides, what's wrong with mall ninjas? :p

Bob Lee Swagger
July 6, 2008, 01:15 AM
What exactly is a mall ninja?

tplumeri
July 6, 2008, 01:48 AM
http://www.geocities.com/suketh.geo/gun/mall_ninja_1.html

that should answer you question about mall ninja!

hoytinak
July 6, 2008, 01:53 AM
I get a good laugh everytime I read some of Gecko's writings. :D

guntotin_fool
July 7, 2008, 09:47 PM
,38 S&W to the chest, near contact range, shooter was heroin addict who kept the gun in his pockets, when he pulled the trigger, he had so much crap in the barrel that the gun blew. It felt like getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer. I remember getting hot gas and stuff past my face, and when I got to the hospital, they pulled a finger tip that belonged to the shooter out of my clothes. I had a broken sternum, cracked ribs, and deflated lung. Doctors at Cook County had me up and around in about 4 hours, I was in bed, but awake, and in pain, when they wheeled the shooter past me on his way to the OR, apparently the gun took a few fingers and part of his thumb off when it went. He had taken the time to get high before coming in to get them sewn back on, which was no longer possible.

second time, scuffle in a bar where I was bouncing, little girl pulled out a .22 and tried to shoot her two or three timing boyfriend. I got my hand out to grab the gun when someone else pulled her arm, planting the muzzle right at the junction of the wrist and the meat of the palm. bullet went in there, out at the middle of the palm, in between ring and middle finger and out the back of the hand at the knuckles. (imagine your hand holding a glass, with no glass in the middle, the bullet had to go in and out, in and out,) It felt like someone slammed my hand in a door. Instant blinding pain. Then calm, I momentarily looked at my hand and flexed it, and every thing moved. I then grabbed the gun with the other hand and pistol whipped her twice in the face. I was VERY angry. What went thru my mind was "dang, there goes softball for the summer and at least a month of work." Doc who sewed it up, said he could not have placed the spot any better to any less damage that it did. basically all it did was tear muscle, no nerve damage, no vascular damage. just skin and muscle.

Funny thing is, both times, I never missed a shift at work.

Threefeathers
July 7, 2008, 10:28 PM
I guess I was a wussy. :cool:

guntotin_fool
July 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
Three feathers, I was just lucky as all get out. I am not superman, I was just lucky. If that doper has a clean barrel, I am singing in heaven. That girl shoots a half inch any other way and I have a claw for a hand.

its like all location location location. location of where you get hit, location of where you are when you get hit, and location of where aid can be found.

Or it can be as the guy who totals the car and never gets a scratch, or the other who gets rear ended at 10 MPH and breaks his neck. its all a crap shoot with regard to how you get out of it.

Watch all of these videos; not a fatality in the bunch, yet watch DE sr's crash and you swear its just a bump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDPzd5AcmnI&feature=related

Threefeathers
July 8, 2008, 02:44 PM
I know that I could have been killed had any of mine been 2 inches different. I can't tell you how an eye wound hurts, I thought I was pretty tough and i gutted it out getting to the helo, but when the swelling started coming down I was in absolutely numbing pain. Because of the damage to the tissue and the subsequent disease the nerves on the right side of my face get irrupt immediately. My Docs at the VA have always been wonderful, I got, and get great treatment there. One of them, Dr. Michaels told one of my friends last year, Threefeathers has the most painful injury that can be, think of 20 or 30 needles being pushed into all corners of youe eye at once.
Luckilly the disease has symptoms and I am really alert to them, If i can get my med within 2 hours I can avert much of the pain. If not and it chooses to come on hard in an effort to blind me It's like being hit with a white hot knife on the side of the face.

RDak
July 11, 2008, 05:52 AM
Yes Threefeathers, I was just lucky. The .38 Special shoulder injury was really fairly minor, bullet went in and out without doing much damage at all. I was surprised at how hard it hit though and it HURT when healing. (It hit so hard that I don't really remember the sound of the gunshot even though it was at close "robbery" range.)

That's why I said to the wife years later - "Fine, if you like the .38 Special revolver for the downstairs house gun that's what we'll go with". (She can handle that caliber better than the larger ones. You know - not as apprehensive with the .38 Special.)

Same for the .22lr in the leg. It went in the side of the thigh and out roughly about only two inches from the outer edge of the thigh. Never really penetrated much of the thigh. It stung like heck though!!

The .38 Special shot did a little nerve damage but the burning from it nowadays is very rare and not too "hot" of a burning sensation. They say nerves can't heal but I'm not sure I totally agree with that.

Just lucky, that's all.

Threefeathers
July 11, 2008, 08:59 AM
RDak you had the same experience I had. The most pain was in the healing process. All of mine had to be cleaned out, stitched and drained. The reason the eye disease wasn't picked up in time was that all my Docs thought that I was getting infections so I was treated with anti-bios. Hell I spent a year with so many anti-bios in me I'm surprised I did't cure every one aroung me.
I agree about the .38 Special it will do the job.

I have a nephew who is spending 14 years in prison and he killed 3 folks in one weekend with a Ruger .22 auto, target pistol. Of the folks he killed the nicest one was under investigtion for 8 murders in MO. I spoke in depth with him. One of them realizing he had been shot in the stomach sat down on the sidewalk andbegan crying. Another shot in the head died immediately, and the third bled to death after being shot in the arm that tore a major artery as my nephew was actually trying to get him to an emergency room.

Bottledestroyer22
July 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
I feel faint and like I don't want to get shot.

whitedemon89
July 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
I was target shooting with my brother, and I shot a thick steel plate at about 15 feet away with my ak (not very smart, as I found out). I was shooting one handed(shows my frame of mind). And the bullet bounced back (who couldn't see that coming from 5 minutes ago?) hit me square in the chest, and KNOCKED ME ON MY @$$ (Im 6 foot tall, 250 pounds, and I went straight back). No penetration, but it did leave a very interesting looking welt. It hurt like hell, but only for a little while, then it was just tender for a couple days. It sure as hell convinced me that I dont want to get shot.

Sparks2112
July 11, 2008, 12:19 PM
I don't have first hand experience with getting shot, hopefully I never will. My father on the other hand got hit in the head with a 7.62x39 round while sneaking around somewhere in the Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam triangle.

The round hit him near the crown of his forehead, penetrated the skin, chipped his skull then left a groove type scar that starts at his hairline and ends right near the top of his head. The scar isn't visible unless he pushes his hair to one side or the other. When he got hit I guess the impact of the round knocked him unconscious. His buddies, being the type of guys I'd want to go into combat with if I ever had to, humped him back a couple of miles to their extraction point, all the while thinking he was dead. Anyway, they get him back to the 'copter, set him down, and all get the hell out of there.

Apparently half way back to their base, my Dad sits up suddenly, looks around and says "How'd we get here?" or something like that. He says he has no recollection of actually being hit, but had the worst migraine of his life for about 2 days after wards. So, there you have it.

And no, he wasn't wearing a steel pot that deflected/slowed the round, just a boony hat. Apparently the men in my family actually ARE hard headed. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist the horrible pun).

guypowell
July 11, 2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, I did in Vietnam. Got hit in the left side abdomen. It hurt.

HoraceHogsnort
July 11, 2008, 07:32 PM
After reading these experiences I've fully realized the need to get off the first shot and to make it count. Even if you don't die from a gunshot wound you'll, in all likelihood, suffer some rea pain. When it comes to pain I'm a first class CS!

RDak
July 13, 2008, 09:01 AM
Da** Sparks, I never got shot like that! Thank God!!

Sparks2112
July 13, 2008, 12:18 PM
Da** Sparks, I never got shot like that! Thank God!!

Yeah, makes me think all the time. It's funny how something as simple as 1 degree of angle can change a "grazing wound" into "no more brain matter". If I think about it too hard the whole not existing thing messes with me a bit too much.

doc2rn
July 23, 2008, 07:42 AM
When I was hit in the neck with a bullet "fragment" as the Police called it, I remember a bad burning sensation followed by a wave of pain.

When the devildog with 2/2 dropped a grenade at his feet and I tackled him, I remember the burn from being debreeded. They have this iodine brush that they use in a circular motion that has a burning sensation that rivals the onset of the wounds pain.

When a Glock KB'd in my hand last year all I remember is a numbing like when you sleep on your arm wrong.

iasc300
July 23, 2008, 08:26 AM
thankfully never shot but my left arm did get peppered with shrapnel after we were hit with an ied in 03- Everything pulled out was smaller than a BB and were not very deep- It all happened fast and some of what happened afterwards is blurry but I dont really remember it hurting at all at the time. A buddy lost both legs and the truck was engulfed in flames- someone was watching out for me.

jackmcmanus21
July 23, 2008, 08:54 AM
I got grazed along my left tricep years ago...luckily enough adrenaline took over and the pain didn't set in until some time later...have a nice scar from it as well