PDA

View Full Version : porting for shotguns

Hoghunter82d
June 26, 2008, 05:52 AM
Is it worth the money? I have a Diawa auto 500, and a new england single shot 10 guage, and have been considering having them both done.

Jeff Mulliken
June 26, 2008, 06:35 AM
A fool and his money are soon ported.

RoscoeC
June 26, 2008, 07:02 AM
I recently bought a used Beretta A390 with a 30" ported barrel. Found a really good deal on the gun.

I have about 400 rounds through it, and I really don't notice the porting thing at all. Nor do the folks I shoot with. I have read here and on other boards that the noise is horendous (it's not), lots of people say they would never have a shotgun that is ported, etc.

Bottom line for me...no big deal either way. I would never pay extra for it, or pay to have it done, but I wouldn't turn away from a gun because it has it either.

I have one friend that competetively shoots a Winchester SX2 that is ported. He shoots a lot more than me. He claims that he is not as tired after several hundred rounds when he uses the ported gun. I don't have the same experience.

I have also seen posts about how difficult they are to clean. Again I don't see it. Now if someone thinks they need to clean every port like the bore of the gun, I can see it, but for me, if it essentially does nothing why worry about it? I clean the bore just like I do on my other shotguns, and wipe the residue off the outside of the ports and let it go.

Is it worth the money? I don't think so. Others will disagree. There are lots of outfits getting good money to do it, so obviously lots of folks think it is worth the money.

oneounceload
June 26, 2008, 07:53 AM
Agree with Roscoe - if a gun I like has it, no biggie - I have some that do and some that don't - won't pay to have it done. It IS louder, especially to the people standing next to you; otherwise no perceptual difference....JMO

BigJimP
June 26, 2008, 03:19 PM
For the guns you are talking about, if you want them ported then you should have it done / is it worth it in terms of increasing the value on those guns - no, probably not - especially on the 10ga single shot.

I prefer a gun that is ported - in the field and for clay target games. But the reason we have guns ported is not to reduce recoil - because it doesn't - what it does, is keeps the barrel from jumping so much after each sucessive shot, so with the barrel staying down it is much easier to acquire the 2nd or 3rd target in the air. That makes it a big plus in the field or on the target fields.

All of my over unders in 12 and 20ga are ported / I don't have my 28ga or .410 O/U's ported because it isn't a big deal on those guns because the barrels stay down pretty well anyway - but most of my guns are Browning XS Skeet, XT Trap, BT-99's or BT-100's models and they all came ported out of the factory. My semi-auto a Benelli super sport it is also ported at the factory. Yes, it is a little louder for a shooter next to me, like on a Trap line, but it isn't a big factor. I shoot next to guys with ported guns all the time on skeet, trap and sporting clays fields. It isn't even a problem in a duck blind - even a couple of feet apart.

Are they harder to clean - no. I use a pipe cleaner on the ports once in a while - but mostly I just brush them with solvent using an old tooth brush and they are cleaned very easily.

If I have an older semi-auto / or an older Over Under that I really liked in the field, etc - I would probably have it ported / I've even considered porting some of my older BPS pump guns in 12 and 20ga .....but have never gotten around to it frankly, and I don't shoot them that much anymore because I'd rather hunt with my Benelli or one of my O/U's.

johnwilliamson062
June 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
are we talking about porting around the entire barrel or gas ports in the top that reduce rise? I am confused.

BigJimP
June 26, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'm talking about rows of holes you see along the upper sides of a shotgun barrel.

They are typically along the rib / or upper part of the barrel - on each side of the rib. I've never seen porting go all the way around a barrel ?? There are extended choke tubes that are ported also - but that's different as well..... but maybe I'm the one confused.

dabigguns357
June 26, 2008, 07:57 PM

33779 I bought my 12 gauge rifled slug gun brand new with ported barrel for $164.95.It does help with muzzle flip but will dang near bust your ear drums.I wouldn't port unless it comes with the gun in the first place.Way to expensive and really doesn't affect the gun either way.

JWT
June 27, 2008, 08:48 AM
Don't have porting on any of my trap guns.

The guys that I know who do have porting complain about the difficulty cleaning the ports after swabbing out the barrel. I think that alone would make me steer clear of porting. And yes, these guys do see the need to clean out each and every hole......

BigJimP
June 27, 2008, 11:48 AM
Using cotton pipe cleaners - it takes less than a minute to punch the gunk out of every hole on an over under. I clean every hole too / don't understand why you wouldn't.

Rottweiler
June 27, 2008, 12:31 PM
Don't waste yer money on porting. Put that money toward a press and components for reloading

Hoghunter82d
June 27, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thank you for all of the advice. I think that I will leave well enough alone then.

Ruger4570
June 27, 2008, 07:36 PM
For what it is worth and I am not going to charge my usual 2 cents either.
Several years ago I bought into the hype of porting, especially with muzzle rise and it seemed logical. I had my bottom barrel poprted at a match, between events with a Vendor at the shoot. He really wanted me to port both barrels but I said, after I shoot the first shot, I really don't care where the barrels go, I am done shooting with my 2nd shot.
To be 100% honest, I felt NO difference in muzzle rise and if there was Any it wasn't noticible at all to me.
It does seem to work with rifles, but they are venting over 5 times as much gas as a shotgun. I don't think the pressures on a shotgun are anywhere near enough to make the porting process really work.
The bottom line is that it is YOUR money and I don't get a Vote as to how you spend it.

olddrum1
June 29, 2008, 12:03 AM
Before I ported I would find out the cost and see what that money would buy towards, as mentioned, reloading equipment or upgrading to another gun using the porting money and shotgun to trade.

GoSlash27
June 29, 2008, 12:01 PM
I've got a ported Mossberg 590. I really like the reduced recoil and follow-up speed but it's a PITA to clean.

mikenbarb
June 29, 2008, 06:14 PM
Dont forget about the new style Polychoke screw in ported chokes. I have one on my Stoeger P-350 3 1/2" and it actually works and patterns good. It cuts about 1/3 off the recoil of magnum waterfowl and turkey loads. The muzzle blast isnt bad either and gases are directed away from shooter.

oneounceload
June 30, 2008, 07:18 AM
Sorry to disagree, but porting has zero effect on recoil

It MIGHT help a little with muzzle rise

recoil is directly tied to weight of gun, velocity and weight of the ejecta -