PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting At 125 Yards ?

daisey53
June 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
I was looking over the replacement barrels for the Remington 870 on the Bass Pro Shop site and saw the review posted below. Is it really possible to hunt deer at 125 yards with a shot gun? If it is possible could someone explain what is different about the barrel and what type of shot is used? I cannot even see that far with my prescription glasses on and am very curious if this is true or just some smoke being blown. Thanks...

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

20 inch Deer Barrel, September 8, 2006
By shoot from Council Bluffs IA (read all my reviews)

"I had heard good things about this barrels that they could put the shots in a 2 inch group at 125 yards. I didnt believe it but decided to give one a try. I took it out for some target practice and was doing all of what it was suppose to do. I wouldnt even think about passing up a shot at 150 yards at a deer. My buddy was so impressed with it that he is going to go out to buy one for himself."

What do you usually hunt?: Other
How many times a year do you hunt on average?: 11+

7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)
Share this Review:

Red_Eagle
June 24, 2008, 10:55 AM
The rifled barrels are designed for use with sabot slugs, which basically reproduce the ballistics of an in-line muzzle loader. They can also be used with smooth slugs like the Remington Buck Hammer. You just can't use rifled (Forster) slugs in them because the rifling they cut into the slugs come off in the rifling of the barrel and the gas ports (if its a ported barrel). My mom baught me a rifled barrel off Ebay for my 500 a few years back, and it looks like the previous owner was using rifled slugs in it. Theres a whole lot of gray something in the barrel that nothing takes out. I assume its lead.

jmr40
June 24, 2008, 10:57 AM
I think a 2" group at 125 yards is a lot of luck, but yes killing a deer at that range with a shotgun is possible. I have the same barrel for my 870 and have shot groups of 3-5" at 100 yards quite often. With a fully rifled barrel, a scope, and the new sabot slugs 200 yard kills are very possible.

mikenbarb
June 24, 2008, 07:34 PM
I group an average 6" @ 150yds but have gotten down to 4" with the rite conditions. I have also taken a few deer at 200 yards without a problem. Im shooting a Remington1100 with a 24" Badger rifled cantilever barrel with a 3-9X40 and Hornady SST's. If your gun shoots well you can take them at 250yds with plenty of energy to spare. I have tried about 15 different brands of sabot slugs and the best I have found is Remington buckhammer, Hornady SST and Winchester BRI 3"(in my 870). The best groups I have gotten so far is with the SST's and shoot 2-3" @ 100yds and it goes to 4-6 @ 150 and 6-8" @ 200yds. The ballistics for the SST are
Muzzle 2000fps, +2.7@100yds, 0.0@150yds, -6.7@200yds. Thats all I have but as you can see, The drop isnt bad at all and kinda like a 30-30 or 35Rem. The one disadvantage is the recoil. Get a long eye relief scope and a good sims recoil pad because they beat you up a bit when you sight in and shoot a few. Slug gun hunting has come a long ways in the last 28 years I have been hunting with them and they keep getting better every year. I live in a state where you were never allowed to use rifles and had to use buckshot or slugs only(I always shot slugs). The biggest reason why their improving so much is because more and more states are limiting areas(or the whole state) to shotgun slugs only and sportsman and women are pushing ammo makers to improve and get rifle like performance from a shotgun slug. As you can see, Their getting there.:D

trwtech
June 27, 2008, 12:38 AM
As others have indicated, it is possible. My old 870 sports a Mossberg made replacement 24" cantilever rifled barrel. With an old Bushnell fixed 4X and Remington Copper Solids I can routinely group under 3" at 125 yds. *Hint - the Mossberg made barrel only cost me a little over $100 when I bought it, compared to the Hastings barrels and Remington factory barrels which were close to $275 at that time. Hope that helps

predator86
June 27, 2008, 04:27 AM
i took a doe a few years back at 250 yards (ranged it at 251 yrds) gun was sighted in and i knew where to aim, took out both lungs and dropped her where she stood......but i have since switched back to regular old lead slugs because sabot are too expensive at 3-4 bucks apiece.....

mikenbarb
June 27, 2008, 08:18 PM
3-4 bucks a piece is nothing for a deer and the range and accuracy you get from sabots. Some of the new ones out are 5-6 bucks a round:eek:.