PDA

View Full Version : 1 pc. or 2 pc. base for new rifle?

mikenbarb
June 24, 2008, 07:35 AM
Im setting up a Remington 700 in 270 WSM and would like to know if theres any advantage of a 1pc base versus a 2pc. base. Im not sure if the 1pc stiffens it up better or not. Its going to be mainly a hunting gun but will be at the range every now and then. Thanks.

jdscholer
June 24, 2008, 08:23 AM
I've often wondered the same thing. I've got a one peice base on my 700, and what I don't like is that it prevents me from using the scope as a comfortable carry handle as I do with my Rugers.
I've never had any issues with my 2 peice bases, after years of hard use, and have often considered changing my 700. I think as long as each base is provided with two mounting screws there should be no problem.

Clemson
June 24, 2008, 08:37 AM
It's a personal preference thing. I prefer the one-piece, partly because I like to have the vertical alignment of the rings guaranteed (and because I don't use the scope as a carry handle). That can easily be achieved with a two-piece setup also, so again, it is just your preference.

Clemson

VaFisher
June 24, 2008, 04:27 PM
The one piece is stronger, twice as many screws in one piece vs two pieces having half the amount of screws.

10-96
June 24, 2008, 05:32 PM
I've got both in current use and have never had one fall off or otherwise do anything other than just sit there. When I started to get enough money to start being a little pickier- I tried to get mounts and rings that I thought astheticaly complemented the rifle. On my older rifles, I've found that I likes the Leupold one-piece bases and the Burris Signature line of rings... at least until I can afford some of those fancy european turret types. I dunno, just makes for classier lines in my opinion.

Harry Bonar
June 24, 2008, 07:27 PM
Sir;
I've always liked the Redfield one piece base myself; especially on the Mauser. I've used Weaver also for years but the one piece base is my preference.
Harry B.

mikenbarb
June 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
VA, They have the same amount of screws,(4). 2 in front and 2 in back. The Remington 700 300 Win.Mag. i already shoot has a Weaver 2 piece base with Warne rings and it has never had a problem but im just wondering how im gonna set this one up.

Wildalaska
June 24, 2008, 08:03 PM
Go with 2 piece

WildihavespokenAlaska ™

ZeroJunk
June 24, 2008, 08:27 PM
I like the dual dovetail mounts from Leupold. Modern production rifles should be drilled and tapped well enough to negate the need for windage screws on the back.