PDA

View Full Version : "Spent hull catcher"????

lescoulee
June 19, 2008, 08:11 PM
Just had a guy asking me about some sort of product designed to RETAIN a fired hull in the chamber of the semi-auto shotgun. The product in question kicks the mouth of the hull outside the ejection port but leaves the remainder of the fired hull in the gun. The idea is that you then pluck the fired hull from the gun from the ejection port rather than picking it up off the ground.

I have absolutely no clue what the guy is talking about--never heard of it or seen it. Anyone else here know what it is or where it can be found?

sceva
June 19, 2008, 09:22 PM
They call them shell catchers and thery're mainly used in trap or skeet with an autoloader. They keep the shell from hitting someone else in your squad and save you having to chase down your emptys. On many trap ranges, at the Grand American for instance, if you want to keep your emptys for reloading you must catch them before they touch the ground. Once they touch ground they become the property of the club or the ATA (at the Grand) who gathers them up ans sells them.

Here is one at Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13105&title=SHELL+CATCHER

jrothWA
June 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
trap ranges then you don't have to stoop over to pick -up shells.

Skeet and doubles trap you don't use it.

Ruger4570
June 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
I have the T&S for a couple of my guns and they work well. Certainly well worth the price.

oneounceload
June 20, 2008, 06:56 AM
I also use a T&S for my 28 gauge 1100 - saves me most of them on skeet - there is supposed to be a new one designed on an old product that will actually let you shoot doubles and hold both shells, saw some pics of it under development, but don't know much else

T&S works great for singles

SDC
June 20, 2008, 10:11 AM
Most of these just take the form of a bent piece of spring steel that you can snip onto the side of the shotgun, with one edge hooked over the bottom of the ejection port; this makes the port too small for the rim of an ejected shell to get through at the rear, so you just grab the shell, push it forward, and pull it out of the port.

olddrum1
June 25, 2008, 01:06 AM
Grafs in Mexico Missouri is where I have found them. Might do a google search. I do not have a number or I would supply it.