PDA

View Full Version : what happened at the Shopping Center

#20fan
June 13, 2008, 07:19 PM
Went to a local shopping center the other day to pick up some drinks.
As I was pulling in to the parking lot I saw a gentelman walking around
like he had no place to be but shouldn't have been there.
I parked and went in the store and he seemed to follow me around. I went up and down isles keeping an eye on him in the security mirrors around the top of the walls, he always went where he could see me, made me nervous.
Went to the checkout and he passed behind me and headed for the exit
but stopped before going out the door. I asked the checker if there was security on duty. She said no so I payed for my items and went toward the exit, bag in my left hand as I am right handed. As I passed by him and started out the automatic door he stepped in right behind me, almost lock step. As I exited the door I made an immediate right and walked back in the store through the other auto door!
The guy just stood there and looked at me stupidly then walked off.
I called the local SO and reported it. He saw me on the phone and bolted.
When I told my Cousin about it he said "that guy dosen't know how lucky he was, you could of had your gun"
My wife replied "that guy dosen't know how lucky he was, 'cause he DID have his gun."
I really am interested in opinions, do you think I handled this right?
Should I have confronted the man to determine his motives?
I know I can't be the keeper of man but what if he went on to harm someone else?

SilentHitz
June 13, 2008, 07:34 PM
I think you handled it fine, you threw him off enough to eliminate any threat he posed at the time.

They may always go somewhere else to try again, but as you said, you can't protect everyone...going to confront him would have possibly escalated the situation. All in all, I would have done the same thing.

Going back into the store was not what he expected...good move.

Wuchak
June 13, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'd say you handled it great. It's a good thing you were alert.

Chuck Dye
June 13, 2008, 08:47 PM
Another argument against condition white.

Nicely done!

Playboypenguin
June 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
Doesn't sound to me like you were in any danger. It sounds to me like someone thought you were sexy. :)

jrothWA
June 13, 2008, 09:17 PM
You were aware and observant. Threw him a curve and did postive non-threatening action.

MrClean
June 13, 2008, 09:35 PM
I agree.... you handled it well. It could have escalated but you threw him off by being aware of your surroundings and preventing it to go to the next level. There is no sense in forcing an escalation when you can walk away. It's the smart thing to do if there is no immediate threat.

Someone give that dude a cookie!

spamanon
June 13, 2008, 10:34 PM
After reading your story, I am left wondering why he picked you. I mean, are you a small man with a limp? Were there no other customers? Are you wearing a Rolex and gold chain?
Please don't take offense, I simply wonder what he thought made you a better target than anyone else. If you are a 6'5" dude with a beard and lumberjack build, I have to wonder if his intentions weren't somewhat less sinister.
In any case, you did the right thing in my book.

#20fan
June 13, 2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I thought I handled it ok but other opinions never hurt.
As to why he would have picked me I have no idea. I'm not a huge man but I am 6'4" about 220-225lbs. I have a few miles on me, or decades which ever. It was a Sun. not alot of people. I don't bling up except for 1 thing, I drive a orange and black '07 GT Mustang. Mid life crisis says so on the license plate:D

kgpcr
June 14, 2008, 12:24 AM
guys just because some one looks at you funny does not mean any thing. Keep an eye on him maybe but thats it

SilentHitz
June 14, 2008, 03:55 AM
He saw me on the phone and bolted. I don't think he would have done that if he was just following him because he thought he had a cute butt or something. ;)

Playboypenguin
June 14, 2008, 03:58 AM
Oh yeah he would. Especially if he heard him calling security or the police. This just sounds like a simple "cruising" to me and nothing at all sinister. The MO is all wrong for an attack. He was in a public place, kept making himself visible, and followed closely while in populated areas.

SilentHitz
June 14, 2008, 04:29 AM
Well, maybe he DID think he had a cute butt LOL, who knows...still, better safe than sorry.

I protect that part of my body too.:eek:

Keltyke
June 14, 2008, 08:08 AM
Good job. You avoided a confrontation and nothing happened. You reported the incident and let the LEOs take it from there.

SilentHitz
June 14, 2008, 08:35 AM
drive a orange and black '07 GT Mustang. Pic? Make sure there's a gun in it too...keep it firearm related.;)

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 14, 2008, 08:35 AM
best of all, you made it look like you forget something, and when on the phone that you were calling a loved one to remind you, lol. But of course, he thought it was something else, lol.:)

Epyon
June 14, 2008, 10:04 AM
The best gun fight is the one you can avoid, awesome work.

Epyon

#20fan
June 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
drive a orange and black '07 GT Mustang.

Pic? Make sure there's a gun in it too...keep it firearm related.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2442808

Had a g22 in the trunk and a Kimber on the hip;)

SilentHitz
June 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
Very sharp! How much for the stang and the Kimber?;):D

shooter_john
June 14, 2008, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a severe disruption of the guys OODA Loop, good job on your part.

hkg3
June 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Sounds to me like you did just fine. Good job.

HKFan9
June 15, 2008, 12:25 AM
first of all, Congrats on handling the situation properly and not confronting/escalating/or most importantly brandishing. Smart move on your part to just make your way right back into the store.

Second this sounds like a similar situation I happened to be placed in last year. Me and my girlfriend went down to a local supermarket that is open 24 hours. There is usually 1 or 2 workers on and the place is dead other than them. It was about 1am and we casually walked around and noticed another girl shopping and another man. We grabbed what we came there for and strolled around and grabbed some stuff we didn't:rolleyes:. We went to check out and the girl we had seen earlier came and confronted me and my girlfriend. She explained that the man had been following her around and staring at her and she was scared to walk to her car alone. I DID NOT have a firearm on me, because I had just turned 21 and did not apply for it yet. I always carry a pretty heavy duty folding knife in a back pocket so took it out(where no one could see) and held it in my hand inside of my front sweatshirt pocket when i noticed the man standing outside. This is one time i actually made my girlfriend carry the bags:o as we walked out in case something did arise I would have both my hands free. The man looked at the girl as she walked with us and turned away and went to his car. Luckily the girl was parked near us so I stood between her car and ours until she was in safely and drove off with us following. Don't know what the man wanted but I felt good to be there to comfort someone.

soccergod04
June 15, 2008, 03:13 AM
Well done on the car and the situation!

Playboypenguin
June 15, 2008, 03:17 AM
Seriously people...I am almost laughing at how you straight guys cannot recognize a simply "cruising" and somehow allow your testosterone levels to turn it into a life threatening situation. I, and a couple Pink Pistol members that have e-mailed me, recognized it right off the bat and all are getting a good laugh out of this thread. :D

SilentHitz
June 15, 2008, 06:19 AM
Seriously people...I am almost laughing at how you straight guys cannot recognize a simply "cruising" Damn PBP, what ever happened to telling someone you're interested...instead of silently following someone like a stalker? :confused:

I would rather someone tell me, than walk 2 feet behind me saying nothing, wouldn't you?:confused:

johnwilliamson062
June 15, 2008, 06:38 AM
you straight guys cannot recognize a simply "cruising"
What would be the reaction if a straight guy followed a girl around a store like that? No one doubted the other story of the young woman was a dangerous situation. I realize that society put a lot of pressure on homosexuals to remain underground in the past and in most places that pressure lingers, but if the behavior is entirely unacceptable for a straight man, why would it be acceptable for a gay man?
I just lived in Columbus Ohio for 4 years and had a lot of exposures to gay men both on Campus and in the Short North. For a while there was a cashier at a store I frequented that was quite flirtatious. Never really bothered me, just took it as a compliment. If someone was following me around as described I would react in a similar fashion as #20 fan.

I think the situation was handled very well. Probably was a "cruizing" the guy probably bolted b/c there were previous complaints and the police knew him.

#20fan
June 15, 2008, 11:39 AM
If it is a case of "cruising" which I doubt seriously since I saw the guy, his eyes, actions and the way he carried himself, but if it was then at your next pinks pillow talk you might want to discuss alternate methods:rolleyes:

kunlao21
June 15, 2008, 11:52 AM
The MO is all wrong for an attack. He was in a public place, kept making himself visible, and followed closely while in populated areas.

Correct, these perps tend to be stealthy little suckers. However there certainly do exhist BG's who are just new or not good at taking people by surprise for whatever sisister plan they might want to cook up.

You did nicely in maintaining a visual on him. Making verbal contact might also be a nice helper. Instead of mere eye contact or something of the sort, a little, "How you doin man" right at the exit could also affirm to him that you are indeed aware of him being there.

When eye contact is made to be aware of our surroundings, we see everyone and they see us. But a 1 or 2-second glimpse exchanged between 2 people could deter many, the ones who get that extra "spidey-sense" feeling going might require a tinge more of letting them know you acknowledge their presence.

Something as simple as a greeting, asking for the time, remarking the weather etc just helps a bit more.

Nicely done though!

Bill Siegle
June 15, 2008, 01:32 PM
I think you did ok up till the walking out of the store. I don't think I would have done that. Not even for the very short time it took. I have had similar situations happen(I no longer shop for long in the tool section of Sears) and I chose to react in the store as there was more witnesses and better oppurtunity for help. What I did was maintain a reasonably safe distance and in a bold but not shouting voice asked "What do you want?". All three times the suspect was visibly shaken and at that same time I cooled off knowing it was simply some sad man looking for a date(Hey I guess I am cute). I sure wish someone would alert these idiots that their behavior is very close to mimicing an impending attack and MANY out there will not react very favorably to it.

Playboypenguin
June 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
Damn PBP, what ever happened to telling someone you're interested...instead of silently following someone like a stalker?
Hehe...so naive. You guys are almost cute. :D
What would be the reaction if a straight guy followed a girl around a store like that?
When two men are involved it is a completely different story. All that male attitude and testosterone can make the "courtship" quite aggressive and can easily be confused as a potential threat.
If it is a case of "cruising" which I doubt seriously since I saw the guy, his eyes, actions and the way he carried himself, but if it was then at your next pinks pillow talk you might want to discuss alternate methods
Sorry, we cannot do much about it. It is not a practice engaged in by most gay men. It is one practiced mostly by closeted gay men who have to resort to anonymous public encounters...and the rare few with weird "public" fetishes. Straight people also do it but, like I said above, when two men are involved it becomes much more overt than if a woman was in the equation. An unwilling victim could very easily start to feel threatened. I still say you were in no danger of attack...at least not the type of which you are thinking. :)

All in all, this is a very good example of how it is possible to completely misread a situation and how important it is to keep a level head at all times. :)

SilentHitz
June 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hehe...so naive. Not naive, just playing it safe. I would still rather have someone TELL me they're interested, instead of saying nothing and following me around.

People can't read minds, at least nobody I know. ;)

workinwifdakids
June 16, 2008, 01:46 AM
...so naive...

Never second-guess your instincts.

You guys are almost cute.

If this was a mating ritual of the WideStance tribe, I'd urge its members to adopt a different technique.

I am almost laughing...

I'm sure Darwin would have something to say about an animal whose sexual 'strut' mimicks an enemy predator.

...getting a good laugh out of this thread...

Well, as long as you're entertained.
:barf:

Playboypenguin
June 16, 2008, 01:48 AM
I'm sure Darwin would have something to say about an animal whose sexual 'strut' mimicks an enemy predator.
Sexual pursuit has always been a predatory action. Not being able to separate a true threat from a benign one is a real dangerous weakness. One that could get you put away for a very long time.

cxg231
June 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hehe...so naive.

I think there may be another explanation. Could be the dude was mentally disabled? Or just plain weird? I have been followed on occasion and when I have made it clear that I don't appreciate it - it's just been a wierdo. Harmless? Maybe, maybe not. Gay guys following me? I don't think so.

But the bottom line here is that some people are just plain strange.

#20fan
June 16, 2008, 02:03 PM
why he would be following a heavy (not fat!) grayheaded old fart twice his age for some kind of sexual thrill is beyond me.
Bottom line, I was there, I saw him, his actions and got the vibe from him. I choose to believe his intent was to bop me in the head, steal my money steal my car and worse of all steal my 12er!

Playboypenguin
June 16, 2008, 02:20 PM
Bottom line, I was there, I saw him, his actions and got the vibe from him.
You saw someone follow you. Everything beyond that is in your head...just like it is in any situation where a person has to draw conclusions from a limited amount of data. The fact that he was in a public place, followed you into a populated area, then made himself visible and noticeable completely goes against the "vibe" you were getting. If he wanted to bop someone in the head why would he follow someone from their car INTO a store and not wait to follow someone leaving the store to their car???

SilentHitz
June 16, 2008, 02:23 PM
You saw someone follow you. Everything beyond that is in your head. Aren't you doing the same thing without being there? How do you know what the guy was thinking? Just curious...

Playboypenguin
June 16, 2008, 02:24 PM
Aren't you doing the same thing without being there? How do you know what the guy was thinking? Just curious...
Read the rest of the post that quote was from. I used experience and factual data he supplied to come to a conclusion. The story he tells does not support a possible attack in any way.

SilentHitz
June 16, 2008, 02:32 PM
I've read all the posts, I just wanna know how you know the guy was even gay.

He could have just been a straight weirdo. You just assumed he was gay as far as I can tell. He may have been for all I know, but I never assumed to know his preference.:confused:

Playboypenguin
June 16, 2008, 02:38 PM
I've read all the posts, I just wanna know how you know the guy was even gay.

He could have just been a straight weirdo. You just assumed he was gay as far as I can tell. He may have been for all I know, but I never assumed to know his preference.
Like I have already said...experience (not just mine but a few others as well) combined with the information provided does not support an "attack" theory. It more likely supports a "cruising" theory. If you would like to point out something in my hypothesis that is faulty feel free to do so.

SilentHitz
June 16, 2008, 02:48 PM
If you would like to point out something in my hypothesis that is faulty feel free to do so. No real problem, I just fail to see the difference. He could have been up to no good no matter what his sexual preference, that matters not to me, I don't want ANYONE following me around for no reason.

Too much crime nowdays for that.:cool:

Playboypenguin
June 16, 2008, 02:58 PM
No real problem, I just fail to see the difference. He could have been up to no good no matter what his sexual preference, that matters not to me, I don't want ANYONE following me around for no reason.
There is just no evidence that supports the idea that he was looking to harm anyone. There is evidence that he wanted to be seen and was making his presence known. The manner in which he did so leads to the conclusion that he was seeking an interaction with the person he was following. Given that and where it occurred, it is much more likely a cruising event.

If I had been called to this as an LEO, which I saw a few similar events, I would have told the guy that he most likely had no real reason to be worried and that he was not being attacked.

MrClean
June 16, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hmmmm..... Let's see..... someone acting suspicious... maybe it's just me....

Went to the checkout and he passed behind me and headed for the exit
but stopped before going out the door.
STRIKE ONE

As I passed by him and started out the automatic door he stepped in right behind me, almost lock step.
STRIKE TWO

As I exited the door I made an immediate right and walked back in the store through the other auto door!
The guy just stood there and looked at me stupidly then walked off.
STRIKE THREE

At this point (STRIKE THREE)... IF it was all coincidence and they guy was totally unaware of the way it "appeared", I would think he would be oblivious to him turning and going back in the store. If I had not been paying attention to him in the first place WHY would I turn and look at him (stupidly).

And what difference does all this make???? Gay / Not Gay? Who gives a crap. Why in the hell was that even brought up?? If someone did that to one of my daughters, I would hope they would do the exact same thing #20fan did. And I bet nobody on here would have said a word. Why is anyone second guessing #20Fan???? NOBODY else was there. It's not like he spun around and kicked this guy's arse or anything. He was very smart in my opinion. He diffused the potential situation. I said Potential. Better safe than sorry.

As far as being in a safe public place..... apparently I am the only one that doesn't put anything past BG's now. On a regular basis I am simply amazed at what some people do.

Hats off to #20Fan from ME.
Just felt like he deserved some POSITIVE support. I won't read anymore here and I hope the moderator shut it down. All the GOOD has been said and the rests just seems negative to me.

He did the right thing.

Playboypenguin
June 16, 2008, 03:13 PM
Just felt like he deserved some POSITIVE support. I won't read anymore here and I hope the moderator shut it down. All the GOOD has been said and the rests just seems negative to me.
The positive support he deserves is for the fact that he did not overreact to a situation that he most likely misinterpreted. :)

pax
June 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
When two men are involved it is a completely different story. All that male attitude and testosterone can make the "courtship" quite aggressive and can easily be confused as a potential threat.

Listen to your instincts.

If it looks like a threat, don't just shrug and say, "Ohhh, how cute! That guy likes me! I guess I'll go wandering straight out the door into the dark parking lot, not looking behind me, not aware of anything, swish swish swish ..." :rolleyes: (BTW, this advice goes for women as well as men, mkay?)

Even if it does make the Pink Pistols contingent laugh, there's nothing wrong with situational awareness, and everything right with avoiding a potential threat.

Of course, if you were looking for an anonymous public sexual encounter (instead of just trying to get your groceries), the 'right' answer might be a bit different. But if you don't want to have sex with strangers, it's probably a good idea to avoid giving a stranger the idea that you'd make easy prey.

pax

Socrates
June 16, 2008, 03:57 PM
I think there may be another explanation. Could be the dude was mentally disabled? Or just plain weird?

I'm around the Gay Area, and, I haven't been stalked like that.

However, in my read, my first reaction was mentally challenged, maybe because I've been around special ed for awhile. Santa Cruz had a number of section 8 folks that appeared normal, but, as you got to know them, it became apparent they were a bit weird.

One guy, big, tall, dressed in a tux, would come into our restaurant, and, until about the 3rd time, appeared normal. After that, he would come over to the house I was staying in, and sing outside the window at 3-6am. He had a crush on the landlord, someone that had also appeared normal, at first, but, turned out to be section 8 as well.

Had to move, quickly. She was female, and, when I moved out, assaulted, and battered me, as I took my furniture out of the house. Since I'd been there for a month, it was now her's.:rolleyes: She actually tried to claw my eyes out, with rather long nails...

There are some pretty crazy folks that are out in the normal population, and, supported by the government.
Of course there is no reason someone mentally challenged can't be happy;) as well...

Finally, there are a number of folks that are homeless, some neat, some not so neat, that will stalk you, try and get you isolated, and extort, or force you to give them money. This has happened to my girlfriend, in San Francisco. I guess she reacted in a way the guy didn't like, all 5' and 105 pounds, and the guy punched her in the face, for no reason. I'd REALLY have liked to have been there for that one...:mad:

Having worked in the SFDA's office, about 40% of the cases investigated are homeless crime, usually on each other for territory, sometimes against a normal person, for money. They never go to trial, and, the people stay on the street, because homeless people do not make credible witnesses, and, they won't testify, about 100% of the time, since they have a great fear of police, DA's, and the legal system.

SilentHitz
June 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
Listen to your instincts. True, not doing so has got a lot of folks in situations they never saw coming.

LanceOregon
June 16, 2008, 04:22 PM
Shopping malls are private property, and many of them thus ban firearms. Be sure to check your own mall's rules, before going inside it armed again.

Both of the major shopping malls where I live have a rule against bringing firearms into the mall. I thus have to be extremely careful when carrying inside. For if detected, I would be ejected from the mall.

Mr. James
June 16, 2008, 04:51 PM

I guess if being stalked aggressively by an individual intent on propositioning a complete stranger to engage in acts of sodomy strikes one as "nothing sinister," well, carry on. . . as for me, I'm going to act precisely as #20fan did. If that doesn't work, the "potential threat" (excuse me, the only confusion here is on the part of the stupid twitch doing the shadowing) just became a real threat. Too bad. The pink pistol contingent can giggle themselves to incontinence for all I care.

Avenger11
June 16, 2008, 06:43 PM
I totally beleive in common sense, being prepared and situational awareness. Unfortunately, too often the tactical forum regresses into tactical paranoia. Now we've introduced Gay stalking into the mix!!
What will we come up with next??? My next door neighbor might be a serial killer. The Girl Scouts selling cookies are really just casing the place.The Pizza delivery guy is a sexual predator. The mailman smiled at me and said hello. I think he's gay! Suspect anyone and everyone. Wal=mart parking lots are rife with felon's of all kinds and Mall's must be avoided at all costs, because their full of gangs. Don't drive your car, there could be a hijacker at the next red light.
Living in fear is your choice.I'll trust the odds that a vast majoity of us will never, ever experience a life theatening situation.

1911Gurl
June 16, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have to side with PBP on this one. And it's not just gay guys who do it either. Being a girl who was brought up in a family that stresses self awareness and self defense I have caught guys doing the same thing #20fan has described. The first few times it freaked me out enough to take action. And seeing as I wasn't old enough to carry yet that meant I had to look for help with one hand on my pepper spray or knife depending on which one I had at the moment. As it turned out then and still does today, it's always a guy who's too nervous to talk to me in front of other people. I can only imagine how a gay guy must feel approaching a stranger in public. As a matter of fact one of my best friends since kindergarten is a gay man and he "cruises" just like that. He does it so much I worry for his safety sometimes. And no, I don't let my guard down when this happens to me, I don't talk to anyone unless it's in a well lit public place. If they're nervous they'll just have to get over it if they want to talk. And I always have a gun very close at hand now just in case the guy turns out to be not so nice. But I still would recommend keeping an eye on anyone who does this in case it's just a crook who's too stupid to stay hidden. :) Erin

TexasSeaRay
June 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
When two men are involved it is a completely different story. All that male attitude and testosterone can make the "courtship" quite aggressive and can easily be confused as a potential threat]

Something else you might want to strongly consider. . .

Anyone stalks me like that, I'm going to assume it was somebody I helped put in a federal prison--or the relative/friend/associate of someone I arrested and put in prison.

I'll do exactly one obvious avoidance routine with no action. The second avoidance I take, if the "stalker" is still on me, then all of a sudden I have a handful of the guy yanking him into a hallway/cubbyhole/alley or whatever is convenient.

Then he has about two seconds to come up with a reasonable explanation.

My wife dealt with a stalker when she was a reporter. When me and my partner finally caught the guy, he didn't want to stalk anyone ever again. The first few years I was out of law enforcement, I had no less than half-a-dozen death threats that my old bosses took serious enough to investigate and act upon. I'll carry that mild paranoia around for the rest of my days.

There are a lot of cops and LOTS of returning soldiers and combat vets that don't take kindly to being stalked. So if it's some kind of courtship ritual, fetish, turn-on, game, thrill-ride or whatever, be advised that there are better--and safer--ways to about getting a date or getting your thrills.

Jeff

thrgunsmith
June 17, 2008, 12:52 AM
All kidding aside, if he was gay he would have tried eye contact.
He was up to no good.

IGO1320
June 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
"Even paranoids have real enemy's".....I think #20 fan did the right thing whether he misread the intentions or not.....he did nothing to escalate the issue (in case he was wrong) and made sure he was safe without endangering any one else. If the gentleman was indeed "cruising" he got the message crystal clear from #20 fan that he was not interested. I don't think anyone should be chastised for being cautious. I you are made uncomfortable then you need to not dismiss your feelings....IMHO.

Playboypenguin
June 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
All kidding aside, if he was gay he would have tried eye contact.
The original post clearly states he did. He even said he stood there staring at him.

#20FAN did nothing wrong. He probably misread the situation but his actions were fine.

No one is saying do not be alert and aware of your surrounding...but you have to be careful and be aware you are not always right. If you start pulling a gun on someone just because they happen to be parked next to you in the parking garage and you think they are following you, who is the real menace?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
June 17, 2008, 04:38 PM
With that new marriage law out there---he was just trying to scrounge up a few brides maids.

Recon7
June 17, 2008, 04:53 PM
Maybe he's gay, maybe he's a carjacker, maybe both.

either way 20 handled the situation well. Way to CYA.:)

Playboypenguin
June 17, 2008, 04:56 PM
With that new marriage law out there---he was just trying to scrounge up a few brides maids.
Are you saying that #20FAN was followed simply because he looked like he would fit into the dress? :D

LanceOregon
June 17, 2008, 05:34 PM
I think you did ok up till the walking out of the store. I don't think I would have done that. Not even for the very short time it took.

That is a good point that you made. I dispute the earlier comment that shopping malls are necessarily safe. Lots of crime occurs outside of them in the parking lots.

Where I live, our big shopping mall is a hotbed for all sorts of crime, from assaults, even occasionally robbery, and especially burglary of cars and theft of cars. So much so that that they now have a lot more cameras and an active security patrol in the parking lots now. But the local maps published in the news showing criminal activity still show the area to remain quite active.

So it is especially frustrating that the mall has a ban on firearms, which is on display right at the entrances. It is listed with other types of behaviors that are also banned. The mall rules also say that any "illegal" weapons are also banned. Which I would think means that things like a small knife, pepper spray, or a taser are all OK, since they are legal. But it does specifically ban firearms, even if they are legally carried.

Meth addicts know that people at shopping malls often are carrying money, or are leaving with expensive new merchandise that can be easily re-sold if stolen. More affluent people tend to visit them too, so they can also get ready access to more expensive cars to steal. Car theft here is amazingly high, with folks even having their cars parked in front of their homes being stolen.

Whether that man was a criminal, or some kind of mentally ill pervert that likes to stalk people in that manner, there was no way for #20FAN to have known for sure.

But either way, he did the right thing by being so very alert, and keeping his distance from the fellow. He might want to check the rules that the mall has, and/or even talk to the security staff there. The Mall owners might very well not approve of this sort of stalking behavior taking place on their property, and thus would be willing to take action against this man.

A person definitely has less rights when inside a shopping mall. And while a person could get away with this kind of stalking behavior in a public place, the mall staff could consider it being disruptive or constituting harassment of their patrons, and thus deal with it on that basis.

Socrates
June 18, 2008, 02:36 AM
whether That Man Was A Criminal, Or Some Kind Of Mentally Ill Pervert That Likes To Stalk People In That Manner, There Was No Way For #20fan To Have Known For Sure....
But Either Way, He Did The Right Thing By Being So Very Alert, And Keeping His Distance From The Fellow.
A Person Definitely Has Less Rights When Inside A Shopping Mall. ...

Why Do People Give Up Rights They Have???
This Deserves Another Thread, And, It's Going To Get One...

DeathRodent
June 21, 2008, 05:50 PM
Dude, You are 6' 4" and 220 lbs --- why not while you are in the store walk up to the guy and ask him "Do I know YOU? Are you following me?

You're inside the store so chances are he won't go psycho on you.

To me someone 6' 4" and 220 is a big guy that I'm not looking to mug unless I want a stay in the intensive care unit.

Socrates
June 22, 2008, 01:43 AM
5'11", 210 right now, and, used to be REAL good at fighting. Always somebody bigger. Always someone with a gun, and, always somebody certifiable in this world. Always be careful...

M14fan
June 22, 2008, 04:34 PM
I think you handled the whole situation well. The guy could have been up to no good, he could have been 'crusing', maybe he just liked your car. I have on occasion approached complete strangers because I liked the car they were driving (though I did not follow them around, I just walked up and introduced myself). There is no way for anyone including you to be sure. Since his actions made you uneasy, I believe you did exactly the right thing.

odessastraight
June 22, 2008, 05:46 PM
Ya know, another possibility might be that he was a gay zombie; not out to eat the guy's brain, but rather to cruise in a gay zombie kinda manner and check out the guy's...car. If one is forced to shoot a gay zombie I'm not even sure what would be an appropriate weapon and load. Whatever it is I do know that one wouldn't want to limp wrist it and risk a stovepipe. The only thing I'm sure about is that if I'm ever stalked by a gay zombie I know to who's house I'm certainly NOT going to run.

Playboypenguin
June 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
If one is forced to shoot a gay zombie I'm not even sure what would be an appropriate weapon and load.
The same you would use for any zombie. Gay zombies are just like every other zombie...just better dressed and groomed. :)

odessastraight
June 22, 2008, 09:12 PM
OK, for what it's worth that "better dressed & groomed" comeback made me smile just a little bit. Even more so than when I thought up that "limp wristed stove pipe" gag. You've got a good sense of humor. Now I'm going to clam up on the subject because I may be on double secret probation, here.

Avenger11
June 23, 2008, 07:50 PM
PBP,
Your veiled jokes and blatant discrimination of gays is innappropriate on this forum or any others!! Can't believe the Mod's have let it go this far!

cxg231
June 23, 2008, 08:22 PM
PBP,
Your veiled jokes and blatant discrimination of gays is innappropriate on this forum or any others!! Can't believe the Mod's have let it go this far!

Hey Avenger - you *are* being sarcastic I hope?

For future reference, it is customary to use a :rolleyes: or a :p or a ;) to indicate sarcasm.

;)

Socrates
June 24, 2008, 03:03 AM
Well, it sort of explains why PBP can buy so many guns...:eek:

JohnKSa
June 24, 2008, 03:47 AM
Seems this thread is no longer about what happened at the shopping center, nor about tactics and training.