PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting Shotgun finish

jaydottcomm
June 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
I bought a Moss Mav 88 when i was about 19 and sold it to a friend. I purchased a handgun recently at 27. It dawned on me that i should get that shotgun back before my old highschool buddy sales it to somebody reckless...Then the law comes for me..So i got the shotgun back!

Rust out the assbone!

I got some Blue & Rust remover and i removedall the rust and Blue on bothe the barrels. I didnt touch the reciever(where the shells ejects) it wasnt rusted so its still black. Will the Blue & Rust remove the black paint(Blue) from the reciever as well? Id like to do a chrome like finish if possible..maybe fading into gold on the way to the site.
I never Blued anything and dont know the diff between salt,hot or cold blue. Are there any web tutorial with good pictures?

Scattergun Bob
June 12, 2008, 10:21 PM
the answer is yes the rust remover will more than likely remove the finish on the receiver. If I remember correctly this is a spray and bake finish on your gun and Brownells does carry the correct finish. It is very difficult to properly apply and does require heat to cure, too much heat will draw the hardness out of your receiver and "well, lets just not do that".

Your question about hot blueing would take several books to get right, you may want to go too the smithy section of our forum and search, you will find a great deal of information.

Cold blue works O.K. for small areas but has a habit of spotting on larger surfaces, I would not recommend cold blue for a receiver.

Hope this helps a little

Good Luck & Be Safe

Bill DeShivs
June 13, 2008, 01:20 AM
The gun has an anodized aluminum receiver. Aluminum doesn't rust, and it's anodized-not painted.
Blue and rust remover does just that-removes rust AND the bluing from steel parts.
You can't do a chrome like finish and fade it to gold effectively-at least not at home. At this point, your best bet is to just paint the gun with one of the gun paints. Maybe you could pinstripe it.

jaydottcomm
June 13, 2008, 02:02 AM
pin stripes rock :mad:

Ok, thats probably why the reciever isnt rusted..cool! Well what about the barrels can i get the cool chrome to gold on the barrels

BigJimP
June 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
How about a "rattle can" of "Krylon" .......:rolleyes:

Bob gave you the right answer if you want to return it to its original finish - but let's be honest, there isn't that much value in the gun to fully restore it, just based on the man hours anyway, unless you just want to take it on as a project.

The last wood stock shotgun I refinished - stock and foreend alone - no rebluing - I spent a solid 100 hours on. It was a lot of work ... I did it for myself - but when I sold the gun - I didn't get any more for it in reality although it sold quickly which was a plus.

jaydottcomm
June 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
look like from what yall tellin me i should just return it to black. I would like to think you were joking when you said Krylon becuase ive never seen a good looking sparay paint job:barf: What about that Blue Wonder?

BigJimP
June 13, 2008, 11:45 AM
you were the one talking about the " chrome to gold " look .....

"Krylon" might be an upgrade ...besides Krylon comes in a variety of colors...not just black ... or try one of the Brownells products ( I've never tried these products ....) but these might be a better way to go and they can be heat cured in an oven apparently.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1150&title=GUN-KOTE?%20OVEN%20CURE,%20GUN%20FINISH

I might be a little bit of a wise ass - but I wasn't trying to be rude - but let's be honest, we're discussing how you should refinish a used gun that you could replace with a brand new one for no more than $ 200 / not to mention how many used ones might be out there for way less - then you could just part them both out and fix yours up or shoot the other one.