PDA

View Full Version : Value of Customized Win Model 12??

Little Wolf
June 10, 2008, 12:21 AM
Saw a nice firearm at the gun store the other day. Was one of the early Winchester Model 12s with the nickel steel. In fact, it didn't even state 12 gauge 2 3/4" on it, so I figure it was made in the early-mid 20th century.

The gun had the barrel (doesn't state original length on the barrel) professionally cut down to 20" and has a bead sight installed. The gun also has new wood furniture installed. Asking price was $300.

My question is this. What do you figure a M12 in that configuration is worth? Do you figure that it's a good deal, or worth it to have in order to have a piece of history? One thing I didn't like about the gun is that after the trigger is pulled the forend won't go straight back, but instead must be pushed forward a bit before it releases. Is this normal among M12s and why does it do this? Thank you.

Slopemeno
June 10, 2008, 01:49 AM
The forend issue is normal.

I'd jump on it if the gun was otherwise sound...maybe mope a little about the lopped off barrel and see if they'll knock some more off the price.. I mean, I don't REALLY need another 12 gauge. My wife will kill me if she sees this one, etc, etc.

glazer1972
June 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think it would be worth that but I too would try to beat them up some more.

Little Wolf
June 13, 2008, 01:05 AM
Price is firm! What say you?

Jeff Mulliken
June 13, 2008, 06:08 AM
You wont find a better made gun for $300, but dont expect to sell it at a profit in the future.

M12's are typically collectable but the jerk that cut this one up destroyed it's value to any collector.

Now all it is...is a great tool, a damned fine pump gun with a short barrel.

Jeff

Slopemeno
June 13, 2008, 09:11 AM
Buy it.

BigJimP
June 13, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'd recommend passing, its been butchered. There is no future value in it as a collectable except as spare parts. I can't imagine its worth more than $ 50 - $100.

6thMichCav
June 14, 2008, 04:46 AM
Most collectable shotguns that have had obvious alterations or replacements drop from "collectable" to "shooter value," which means it is now worth whatever you will pay to own it.

A Model 12 in original configuration, very worn, but in otherwise working condition, should go for at least $200. Add 50-80% finish and the price can jump to the $300-$500 range depending on the gauge and when it was manufactured. Any type of mechanical problems or damage are what drop it into the "parts" category. One with a lopped off barrel (and probably no more choke) and new wood is no longer collectable; it's a shooter.

I paid about $240 for a reblued, cut-off 16-gauge M12 last year, and felt I probably paid slightly too much; however, the gun's refinish was well done, and it was in excellent mechanical condition.

$300 sounds like a bit much, but M12's are not cheap. You might have to wait, look, or ask around a bit to find one for less. So, it comes down to how badly you want this particular M12.