PDA

View Full Version : Gas Theft - What to do about it

BillCA
June 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
I keep hearing on the news that gas thefts are on the rise. So far, I haven't heard of anyone locally being victimized, but several articles online talk about truckers being hit for huge thefts. I also heard that in SoCal theives have cut gas lines to drain fuel from vehicles.

So, I'm thinking about the night when someone hears an odd noise and finds his car/truck is being drained of fuel by some goober with a gas can. Or worse, several vehicles parked outside are getting drained by a group of goblins.

I'm not going to shoot someone over $20-$30 worth of gas. Not unless there is an imminent threat. In fact, I'm thinking this is a really good time to have pepper spray handy. One can imagine a thief just deciding to jog away with whatever is in the can and leaving the rest of your fuel draining out on the ground.

Any thoughts on tactics for apprehending these clowns?

And no, I don't think firing a warning shot into the gas can is an appropriate response. :rolleyes:

DieHard06
June 4, 2008, 02:01 PM
I am a little cynical about the reports of the "rise" in gas theft from cars. A couple of years ago there were a rash of reports on shark attacks along the east coast after one kid got his leg bitten off. Not long after that, we found out that the number of shark attacks was the same as it was every year and there were not an increase at all in shark attacks. The news just needed something to do a story on and the sharks were convenient and scary. I remember seeing reports on the news of the rise of gas theft from cars just a few years ago when I was in high school and gas was at an all time high of $1.68. I just have a hard time buying the fear mongering that the media puts out sometimes. That being said, I know it does happen (as do shark attacks!).

SilentHitz
June 4, 2008, 02:13 PM
I am a little cynical about the reports They're true...at least around here. I just had to put a locking gas cap on my van, they got 1/2 a tank, and it cost me $100 to fill that sucker up.

In some areas they are using cordless drills to punch holes in the fuel tanks...when they start costing me that much money, they are risking their life! I hate a freakin' thief!:mad:

rgoers
June 4, 2008, 02:27 PM
I know that there have been a few unlocked cars in the neighborhood that have been 'gone through' overnight.

Like BillCA - I find it hard to justify shooting someone over a can of gas. The pepper spray is an excellent idea. I have a can setting by the front door at all times. :cool:

Mikeyboy
June 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
Its happened around my work, a guy was caught stealing gas from a few vehicles in our parking lot. He was driving an old late model beater (probably got 10mpg) and was filling up 5 gallon jugs in putting them in his trunk. Thankfully the 3rd time he pulled this off the police caught him

I think the best defense is to get a locking gas cap, if your don't have a locking fuel door on your vehicle. It should keep the opportunistic thieves away.

I would be very careful if you have a large truck, especially a diesel.

Keltyke
June 4, 2008, 02:56 PM
In most states, you can NOT shoot to protect property. In that scenario, the best weapon you have is your cell phone. If you tell the operator the thieves are "there now" they'll send someone pretty quickly.

If you go out to scare them off and they menace you, that's another story, IF you're completely faultless in the ensuing situation. That is, you can't bait them then draw your gun.

john in jax
June 4, 2008, 02:58 PM
Pepper spray is a good idea, hmmmm. . . . maybe even an attack dog.

I agree that it is really hard to justify (to myself) doing too much harm to someone that's desperate enough to go sucking gasoline thru a hose stuck down in your gas filler, BUT when the start destroying you personal property with power tools, well I could get very upset about that.

Keltyke
June 4, 2008, 03:16 PM
"sucking gasoline thru a hose stuck down in your gas filler,"

Walk up behind the guy real quiet-like. Rack the slide, place the muzzle against the back of his neck and simply say, "Swallow." Actually, you can't do that, either but don't you wish you could! <snicker>

"BUT when the start destroying you personal property with power tools, well I could get very upset about that."

BUT you STILL can't shoot! This guy's in The Republik of Kalifornia. They'd crucify him!

GoSlash27
June 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
Locking gas cap. $7 at your local Auto Zone.

Really, the thought of applying deadly force over a few dollars worth of gas.. :rolleyes:

daisey53
June 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
The Houston, Texas area like most other places has seen a huge rise in the theft of metals such as copper from air conditioners and local scap yards are now required to take thumb prints from those bringing in scrap. Another problem is jerks using battery powered "saws all" to cut the catalytic converters off of high clearance vehicles. One news report two weeks back stated that an agile thief can crawl under a truck and cut off the catalytic converter in less than 60 seconds. The next day you'll know its gone the second you start the motor. I'm seriously considering a motion sensor for the alarm system on my truck. Shooting is not an option....yet. ..Tobias

SilentHitz
June 4, 2008, 03:50 PM
As stated above, I have a locking cap...and $100 isn't a "few dollars" to someone on a fixed income. When they start using a cordless drill...that's big bucks they're costing me that I don't have.

If it was just $20 or $30 bucks I wouldn't get as steamed, but it cost me $100 bucks every time they steal what I worked hard for...that adds up, and a repair bill for a damaged gas tank is more than I can afford.:mad:This guy's in The Republik of Kalifornia. They'd crucify him! And I thank God I don't live there.

BillCA
June 4, 2008, 05:04 PM
Walk up behind the guy real quiet-like. Rack the slide, place the muzzle against the back of his neck and simply say, "Swallow." Actually, you can't do that, either but don't you wish you could! <snicker>

Thanks Keltyke. Now I have to mop off my keyboard! :D

Yeah, I'm in CA and that makes it even worse. Thirty years ago or so, when we had the first OPEC embargo, a neighbor of mine snuck up behind a guy siphoning gas out of his Suburban at 3:30am and cocked the hammer on his SAA .45 about a foot away. The poor kid literally crapped himself. :D

I'm thinking that upon catching someone in the act a good dose of pepper spray will work. A full can oughta do it. Especially if you can soak the crotch or underarms before he "escapes".

My neighbor runs his own landscaping service and someone not only siphoned out his truck's fuel, but got into his trailer and took gas cans and fuel from the equipment -- while he was working behind the building. He's now imitating Buford Pusser by keeping an axe handle nearby. :eek:

Socrates
June 4, 2008, 05:13 PM
Problem with pepper spray is you could kill someone with it, and, you would be liable, that's civil, and, possible criminal charges of assault and battery.

Remember, in civil court, you take the plaintiff as they are. If you cause a death by hitting someone who has a thin skull, or, spraying someone with an allergy to pepper spray, you better have a defense of self-defense to justify the action.

That said, bear spray, a big can, taser, stun gun, all might be better choices.

However, remember, the problem here is the very little amount of the theft, and, unless you can show you knew he was doing serious damage to your Porsche 928, or something, you have a problem.

Dog sounds good, security camera, motion sensor lights, etc.

Generally using potentially deadly force to stop someone engaged in a misdeameanor is not going to put you in good shape in court...

jfrey123
June 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
Does the phrase 'Don't taze me Bro!' apply to a fella who's laying under your car, dripping in gasoline?

:p

swk314
June 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
You could always pop a flare gun off in the puddle of gas. But seriously, I wouldn't shoot anyone over gas, even though I would be seriously ****** off. Especially since I drive a Tahoe with a huge tank.

SilentHitz
June 4, 2008, 06:10 PM
True, but then I would have to find another reasonably priced wheelchair accessible van...and they aren't that easy to find.:p

Tanzer
June 4, 2008, 06:30 PM
Time for the makers of security cameras to bring the price down to where they become a staple item. My place in Maine got busted into last month and they made sure to take all the propane. Sure would be nice to have their mug on a policeman's laptop.

tplumeri
June 4, 2008, 06:43 PM
adjacent to my property my "neighbor" has a shop and parks a kenworth tractor out back.
my dogs were going crazy one nite and i went to see why.
the three dogs had cornered a guy between the kenworth and the building.
the hose from the kenworth side tank went to a hand pump in the bed of a pick-up.
I let the dogs keep him pinned and called the sheriff.
those side tanks hold over 100 gallons of diesel. at $3.50/gal..........

RedneckFur
June 4, 2008, 07:04 PM
I think i'm ready to buy a locking gas cap now. I live in an apartment complex. If my make my truck a little harder to steal gas from, they'll just move on to somone else. I've got a "family size" can of bear spray here too. Me thinks i'll put it by the door.

Spade Cooley
June 4, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sometimes there is justice. A neighbor left his riding mower sit outside all winter and the gas was contaminated with water. He drained it into a lagre gas can and set it on his porch. Some scum bag came along late at night and took it. He is most likely stalled somewhere trying to figure out why his car won't start.

fortkevin2
June 4, 2008, 08:40 PM
Around here the rise in stealing gas is up from what i can tell. It has happened to my girlfriend, her father and numerous other people. She drives a 04 Volvo S60 and they pried open the gas tank door to get to hers. she didn't notice and neither did i until i went to fill her up and i looked down and could see where the latch was and it was gone. Got her a locking cap the next day.

pgg
June 5, 2008, 01:36 AM
In California (especially the Bay Area) you would be hard pressed to justify using pepper spray to prevent the theft of gas. If you do expect to wind up with battery charges at a minimum.

jfrey123
June 5, 2008, 02:19 AM
100 gallons of diesel. at $3.50/gal..........

We're up to $4.40 if you find it cheap for diesel. Now think about this also: A big rig semi can usually hold 300 gallons of fuel (gramps was a long haul truck driver). 300 gallons x $4.40 comes to $1,320. Does memory serve me correctly, and Gross Larceny is stealing a dollar amount above $1,200? Seems to me that fuel theft is quickly going to become more than just a small time crime.

Nevada law is written that one is allowed to protect life and property. However, when gas first hit $2.00/gal (ah the good ol' days :barf: ) a man here in Reno came out of his house after spotting a father/son team ripping off his gas. He peppered their pickup with buckshot as the son ran to the waiting father's truck, and he ended up in jail real quick.

Moral of the story is take your preferred weapon with you to investigate the bumps in the night, but be prepared not to use it. If you catch a gas thief in the act and he runs, you're likely stuck letting him go. The only time I can see lethal force being used appropriately in most jurisdictions would be if they come at you after you tell them to stop, and that you're calling the cops. At that point, they're attacking you and a more violent crime is being committed than 'petty' gasoline theft.

ziggy222
June 5, 2008, 02:40 AM
wow.sounds like in kalifornia the criminals win.i'm in pa but anyway i always wondered or at least since my car was broke into for cigeretts if i could hold someone at gun point till the cops got there to arrest them,or if the cops would just arrest them and me both.for all you pepper spray users out there,remember that spray is conciddered a weapon as well.i'm pretty sure it can only be used to save your life.

moose fat
June 5, 2008, 04:08 AM
Locks and vandal proof motion detector lights and sometimes that doesn't work.

I work for the city and we've been having this problem for fourteen years. The fuel barge just droped off fuel and gas, yahoo( a sarcastic yahoo). Today gas went from $4.85/gal to $6.93 and diesel fuel delivered went to $7.15. Figure that one.

Also what I have been doing is to just put two or three gallons in the tank, enough to last a day or two.

GoSlash27
June 5, 2008, 05:38 AM
silenthitz,
I think your response is more emotional than practical. If you're willing to jeopardize two lives over $100 (even if you can't afford it), I say your priorities are whacked.

SilentHitz
June 5, 2008, 05:49 AM
Say what you want, you're entitled to your opinion...just like me.;)

Personally, I'm tired of seeing the criminals given all the consideration, and the law abiding people just have to eat the loss.

Used to be they got a few years for grand theft auto for stealing your vehicle...now they get a slap on the wrist for joy-riding.

I grew up when you could not only protect your life, but also the property you worked hard for...now everyone expects you to just let the low lifes have whatever they want...and people wonder why there's so much theft.:rolleyes:

Mikeyboy
June 5, 2008, 11:59 AM
Guys, we are looking at this all wrong. You confront a guy stealing your gas. He has a filled 5 gallon container, a hose dripping with fuel, and is reaking of gas. You can't shoot him, you can't pepper spray him, you can't even hit him, so what is your only option. :p

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/299757814_9c7750e96f.jpg?v=0

Seriously though, if your in that situation, and your unarmed, a $1 bic lighter should make most gas thieves back off.

ZeSpectre
June 5, 2008, 12:12 PM
Someone stole several jerry cans from the neighbor's house. We're assuming that they -thought- they were stealing gasoline

Wish we could be there when they tried to use it since what they actually took was about 15 gallons of a special liquid fertilizer. (the neighbor runs a landscaping biz).

Still it's caused me to start locking all my cans up along with the mower and lawn tractor <sigh>.

Wish I could come up with a decent plan in case the crooks try to come back to our neighborhood.

alfred
June 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
I keep a can of special USED gas/solvent mix in a spot obvious in daylight when I am through with it.I sure hope no one keeps stealing it again,and again and again.The cans are getting expensive,but if someone is putting it in their gas tank,they have no more need for gas.I use it for completely legal uses and had it ready for proper disposal.I have it labeled."Do not use with out permission".Perhaps they cannot read in the dark or cannot read English.I don't have to worry about disposable and I don't have to report it stolen.I have no complaints as it does not last long enough to dissolve the plastic gas can as it will with time.Alfred

hoytinak
June 5, 2008, 12:57 PM
It happens around here too so we got the locking gas caps on all our vehicles. But they didn't help any, about a week later we had the lines cut on both our tanks on our truck, they got away with about 60 gallons of diesel. :mad:

rgoers
June 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
Sounds like a large, under-fed dog would be the best option.

I have to admit that it would be REAL hard for me to NOT beat the cr@p out of a fuel thief - if I caught him in the act. The problem today is: the criminal has more rights (and the favor of the courts) than the victims. America is in a sad, sorry, state.

SilentHitz
June 5, 2008, 01:17 PM
The problem today is: the criminal has more rights (and the favor of the courts) than the victims. Amen to that...:mad:

obxned
June 5, 2008, 04:48 PM
The dogs need a new chew-toy.

TheNatureBoy
June 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
Let him have the gas. Call the authorities and let them handle it. If he is driving a car/truck get plate number and description of vehicle. I 'm not crazy about the idea of anyone stealing my gas but I have to ask myself if beating the you know what outta him is worth what it would cost me in legal and medical fees.

HankB
June 5, 2008, 05:48 PM
The original poster is in Silicon Valley, CA, so his options of dealing with a night-time theft have been severely curtailed by legislators that identify - on some level - with the criminals. :(

Texas is different. :D

BillCA
June 5, 2008, 06:10 PM
Yes, California, land of fruits and nuts.

I figure the purpose of a firearm is to defend myself against a sneak-thief who is likely armed with a sharp knife and/or a cordless drill. I'm considering braided fuel lines at this point, just to make it tougher.

As others have said, the sentiment in many jurisdictions, especially California, is that one should not harm a "mere thief" for stealing. Nevermind that his theft might force you or your children to skip meals. Or that his theft of fuel might prevent you from getting a loved one to a hospital. Oh, no... all he's doing is stealing and at that, he's only stealing property, so no one's life is in danger. :barf:

We would have much less theft if police and DA's were more interested in stopping crime than generating arrest & conviction statistics.

Deaf Smith
June 5, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well, I sort of wait till dark, scope out someone without a gascap lock on their car, shinny on the ground up to the car with a very thin hose and gas can.....

Wait... you mean if someone is stealing MY gas? Why how dare they! The low-life thieves! Why I'd.....

Look, the gas is maybe worth 50 bucks in your tank. Take the same action you would if they were stealing 50 bucks. That might mean calling the cops, and even following them home while on the cell phone talking to 911.

Plug them for 50 bucks? I wouldn't. I might stand in the way of their car while I called cops and if they tried to run me over then I'd have to defend myself, but no, I don't blast people for that.

BillCA
June 6, 2008, 02:43 AM
Look, the gas is maybe worth 50 bucks in your tank.

Sorry bub. I just filled up my truck's tank from near empty. It cost me $102.05 and for that they didn't even provide oxygen so I could catch my breath again. That's just a standard pickup truck tank. I'd be in real hurt if I was filling up auxillary tanks too!

A few years ago there was a story about some redneck who tried to use a hose to siphon gas out of an RV parked in front of a neighbor's home. The owner saw the guy sneaking around it and called police. When cops arrived the suspect was on the ground, vomiting and choking. Seems he stuck the hose into the opening for the holding (sewage) tank and sucked hard.... The vehicle owner declined to press charges, saying that the thief had gotten punishment enough. The cops thanked the owner for the best night's entertainment they'd had in months.

SilentHitz
June 6, 2008, 05:47 AM
Look, the gas is maybe worth 50 bucks in your tank. You must have a very small tank. I have a 35 gallon tank...multiply that by 4 bucks. $140 ain't chump change to me.

Like BillCA said above, if you need that vehicle for an emergency...it's more than just gas. I'm glad a few people here see the bigger picture...it's not just the g:rolleyes:as.

CPTMurdoc30
June 6, 2008, 07:14 AM
A buddy of mine had 2 1500 gal fuel tankers stolen for a job site. Found the trucks the next day drained empty nothing wrong with them at all. they even wiped down the fuel hose and cleaned up their mess. HUH and gass theft is not on the rise?

Many people are calling AAA for gas trying to get 2 to 5 gals for FREE....

Socrates
June 6, 2008, 08:50 AM
Seriously a motion sensor car alarm will scare them off.

The South Africans have also come up with an anti-car jacking device that shoots like a flame thrower from under the passengers side....

velocette
June 6, 2008, 11:45 AM
Something no-one has mentioned. When that b---- Wilma came through here two years ago, I had 40 gallons of fuel stockpiled for my portable genset. When that was running low after over a week with no power, I attempted to siphon fuel from my wifes Benz and then from my Toyota. In both cases, the fill pipe had something in it to block the ability to insert a fuel line hose far enough to siphon out any fuel. I then (with permission of course.) attempted to remove fuel from some of my neighbors cars. All the same, blocked.
The only car I was successful in draining was my old Jaguar. Its 54 years old and had nothing to block the hose.
Your results may vary of course.
Perhaps a sharp center punch and a high mounted tank with ground clearance may work.

Roger

unkle.buck
June 6, 2008, 12:23 PM
I find the comments on special mixes truely amazing. I keep a gallon or two around for fire ants( which is probably more illegal than shooting someone) to reduce their spread. Actually, it is now cheaper to use proper commercial ant poison. My dad taught me to put sugar in the gas can, the ants go for it! It seems the theives around her all run those little suped up ' rice burners ' and they would have to replace a very expensive motor. Just make sure it is not 'want-to-be gang banger. There is no telling how far the war will go. R.I.P. could be your epitath.

teeroux
June 6, 2008, 12:37 PM
Sick the dog on em.

BillCA
June 6, 2008, 02:22 PM
As if stealing fuel isn't bad enough, with the cost of platinum so high now, thieves are using portable cutters to cut the catalytic converters out of cars for the platinum.

That'd suck to jump in your truck, turn the key and see someone siphoned 98% of your fuel away, then turn the key and hear that they'd also ripped off your catalytic coverter.

Johannes_Paulsen
June 6, 2008, 02:33 PM
At the risk of turning the conversation away from an entertaining path involving bic lighters and Afrikaaner flamethrowers, what was wrong with the idea of buying a locking gas cap?

Rembrandt
June 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
Been happening all over the country. Truckers and campers are the most vulnerable when they pull into rest areas.....a truck parks along side, thieves run an air line and siphon hose to the truck beside them and when you wake up your tanks dry. The air line pressurizes the tank and forces the fuel through the siphon hose and into the truck parked beside you.

Locking gas caps only prevent the stupid from getting fuel. Several businesses have reported their pickups have had the tanks punctured and drained....about $1000 to replace the fuel tank not counting the contents.

az_arno
June 6, 2008, 03:20 PM
By all means take reasonable precautions against theft. Maybe it's time to clean out the garage and park in it? Enclose the carport? Install a motion sensor? By all means keep a shotgun loaded with rocksalt by the door. A 12ga racking in the dark is a terrifying sound.

sw_florida
June 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
If you see a clown steal gas call the cops. It takes time for a tank to drain. If the clown jogs away you can turn on your flame thrower.

Deaf Smith
June 6, 2008, 08:02 PM
You must have a very small tank. I have a 35 gallon tank...multiply that by 4 bucks. $140 ain't chump change to me.

Toyota Avalon, maybe 14 gal. tank, Toyota Matrix, maybe a 12 gal. tank. And gas here cost $3.77 or so a gallon.

So let's see, your hub caps may cost a $100, and so does the gas in your car. So using deadly force to stop them stealing your hub caps sounds right, hmmm?

Ok, hope were you live the laws says you cannot be sued if you use that deadly force to recover the $100 bucks of gas or hub caps. It's called "wrongful death". Think about it befoe you shoot on some kids stealing your gas.

SilentHitz
June 6, 2008, 08:22 PM
Think about it befoe you shoot on some kids stealing your gas.
He needs to think before he steals it. Contemplate whether it's worth risking his life or not.:rolleyes:

BTW, I don't have hubcaps. They're 8 lug American Racing mags that came on it when I got it...they go for those, and all bets are off.

And before you ask, yes they have locking lugs on them.

SavageMOA
June 6, 2008, 09:10 PM
I have an idea I stole from a post a guy put on here earlier. I'm going to start putting an old gas can (so it still smells strongly of gas) out in my driveway next to my car filled with sugar-water.

Once I wake up one morning and find the can gone, I can laugh quietly to myself.

Deaf Smith
June 6, 2008, 09:48 PM
And before you ask, yes they have locking lugs on them.

Then get a lock for your gas cap.

And I suggest a good lawyer's card in your wallet as well as most of your assets in escrow. Keep the list of assets handy, cuase the famliy of the one you shoot will be asking for them.

SilentHitz
June 6, 2008, 09:49 PM
Then get a lock for your gas cap. If you took time to read my other post, you'll see I already have one. Geez

SamHouston
June 6, 2008, 09:56 PM
I might not shoot someone over $4 a gallon gas. Now if it get's up to $8-10 a gallon that may be a different story.

Remember gas rationing? Would you shoot someone if it was being rationed and you only got 10 gallons a week ?

Jacobie
June 6, 2008, 11:09 PM
Use a net gun to detain them unti the police can arrive. I am posting from my phone now so I can't post a link, but someone can google it. There is a company that makes them and they ma be effectve, cool toy even if there not.

Swampghost
June 6, 2008, 11:50 PM
One of my favorite stories. '73 gas crunch, 24' boat on trailer in front yard gets siphoned for about 30 gals. Not discovered until the next weekend. The next week I pull the boat in from the other side of the circular drive. Mon. morning there's puke all over the driveway.................the thief siphoned the holding tank!

Paybacks are a B.

BurkGlocker
June 6, 2008, 11:52 PM
Just the other day I said something one here about people stealing gas in our neighborhood; funny how these posts come up on here...LOL But seriously, with gasoline getting close to $4 a gallon and diesel over that, we can only hope that there's no natural disaster in the Gulf this year, or we will be seeing gas going up to $7-10 a gallon. Remeber Katrina? It upped the price of gas 30-40% in some areas.

The thing about locking gas caps around here, is that the thiefs are smart, they just go right for the filler neck with a hack saw, or as someone said earlier just drill a hole in the tank. My father has lost two full tanks of gas just within the past 3 months. But whether or not deadly force should be used to protect your property is a conumdrum, but with the rising price of gas and fuels it will easiliy become a felony crime just to even think of stealing it. And just as someone stated earlier the judicial system works for the criminals nowadays, so you can only imagine the field day they would have with Average Joe American taking out a 'gas thief' for stealing a tank full of gas.

The thing about being an American with a SD weapon is to know what situations warrant the use of deadly force, but theft of my hard earned cash and/or property clouds my judgement just a little...

hoytinak
June 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
Use a net gun to detain them unti the police can arrive.

Then they'd just sue you for kidnapping then abd they'd prolly win.

Glenn E. Meyer
June 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
6 Bucks by labor day!

All Hail Cheney!

Wonder if GWB will be a 'consultant' for oil companies when he tap dances off the White House porch for the last time.

Anyway shooting someone for gas will solve your mileage problems as you walk from Cell Block A to B.

Hardtarget
June 7, 2008, 10:00 PM
Not only is it $4.00/gal gas. If they drill your tank...its about $400.00 to replace the tank. Lay just $40.00 on the table. Are you going to just let some thug walk off with it? Why is it ok to shoot a robber...but don't dare "protect property"? That property cost me a part of my life..(work every day) to get the money for it. Thugs best leave it alone. :D

Mark.

Stevie-Ray
June 7, 2008, 10:35 PM
I doubt very much I'd use a gun at all, but if I could sneak up on him before he ran, he'd get a very broken nose. Let him do whatever the hell he wants as far as the law goes with that.:rolleyes:

Rant Casey
June 7, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have two vehicles, a 2002 Hummer H1 v8 diesel and a v10 ford excursion, needless to say I spend roughly 300/week on fuel. I can't imagine how i'd react if I saw someone stealing my gas, I know I wouldn't shoot them as much as i'd like to because we can't defend property with deadly force here, however I would venture a guess that they'd be having a bad day any way you look at it.

I should buy a hybrid, but what fun is that?

Csspecs
June 7, 2008, 10:56 PM
I'm planning on buying a few new gas cans this summer, the old ones will be filled with dirty water and about 3 cups of gas so that they smell right. I'll leave them in a shed before you would reach the cars walking in from the road.

I really hope I get someone :)

Socrates
June 7, 2008, 11:24 PM
If I had one of those huge tanks, I wouldn't fill it past 1/4.
Plus, everytime I go into a gas station, I can wash my windows, use their water, and air, and generally get back a minimal amount of the outrageous amounts they are charging...

chuckrusty
June 8, 2008, 12:15 AM
i see we had a few comments about dogs,

we have had dogs as long as i can remember, i live in a rural area and through the years the dogs have run several would be thieves off,
and thats just the ones i know about, who knows how much they have saved us over the years, i presently have one adult and one pup, and my brother who lives maybe a hundred yards away also has one adult and one pup, and the sire who is to old to be of much use right now , but to sentimental to put him down, just a little over a month ago, dad heard a commotion out back at 2:00 am, and saw a dark dressed figure hightailing around the hillside, with a large agitated dog in hot pursuit!

skeeter1
June 8, 2008, 12:46 AM
several vehicles parked outside are getting drained by a group of goblins.

Well, for starters, if you have a garage, you might want to try putting your cars in it. I have several neighbors who use their garages as workshops/storage spaces/garage sales/party centers, etc. If they get ripped off, I haven't got one bit of sympathy.

flccnp
June 8, 2008, 10:27 AM
I was figuring that as gas prices went up the gang bangers wouldn't be able to afford the gas and would start doing walk-bys.

I guess not.

kybriarbuster
June 8, 2008, 01:35 PM
you can take a screwdriver and pop out the lock on a locking cap and have it off faster than with a key. i lost my key on a recent hunting trip and was getting ready to fill up and had no key. save your money. sam

Jacobie
June 8, 2008, 07:11 PM
I still say netgun.
www.lawenforcementmall.com

armoredman
June 8, 2008, 10:35 PM
I carpool. Where we park our cars has a cop going by at odd times, but usually within a few minutes of each other - station is about 1/16 mile from there. I park directly under a streetlight, angled so the gas cap is visible from the street. Hopefully that will help. I don't have a locking cap, as I agree - I'd rather replace $44 worth of gas, (small tank), than argue about my deductable with the insurance company.
At night it's garaged.

Stevie-Ray
June 8, 2008, 11:57 PM
I should buy a hybrid, but what fun is that?I hear you. Both my vehicles are supercharged V8 F150s. One is a daily driver, the other is more or less a toy. They both burn premium, of course. This sucks, but of course I didn't buy either of them for their stellar gas mileage. Gas was less than 2 bucks a gallon, though.

LanceOregon
June 9, 2008, 04:34 AM
I should buy a hybrid, but what fun is that?

Wait for the new 2009 autos to come out. Honda just announced they will have 3 new Hybrid vehicles for 2009. And that they will all be affordable.

The next improved generation of Toyota Prius is coming out in the 2009 model year also. And there are industry reports that it is going to get over 20 more miles per gallon than the current Prius.

GoSlash27
June 9, 2008, 05:52 AM
Locking gas caps only prevent the stupid from getting fuel.
As opposed to? If they were smart they wouldn't be stealing gas.

I'll state the obvious just one more time before I bow out of this thread:

If you employ deadly force to protect your gasoline, feel free to explain to the judge how expensive it is or how the thief limited your options in an emergency or whatever you like, but you will still spend the rest of your life in Federal prison.

MrClean
June 9, 2008, 07:45 AM
Well.... been an interesting read through this thread to say the least. And everyone has different opinions.... preventive... defensive... offensive.... etc. That's what makes it great! A thief is a thief. If reasonable measures have been taken to prevent and someone still makes the choice to break the law, so be it. I'm not sure elsewhere, but even the 'sic the dog on them' theory is apt to land you in court.
As for kids.... the earlier they learn the better. In the last 3 weeks we have had TWO pull out a BBGun (one that is the spittin image of a 1911 and the other a 92F) while out. They were within a second or two of being shot when they finally dropped the weapon. There have also been other 'kids' carted off in handcuffs for the real deal. It tears at me that the kids of America have come to this point. Do I blame the kids? No. I blame the parents in the majority of cases. But you can't afford to just cut them loose due to any circumstances.
Solution? Each has to make his or her own choice. Hmmm.... if the thief is willing to risk going to jail.... they just MIGHT have a weapon that when confronted you'd have to defend against. Or.... they MIGHT trip and fall while running... spilling gas everywhere and then a small spark MIGHT set the whole thing off. Maybe a car tag will be grabbed and phoned to local authorities, or sugar-water stolen (hope they don't get vengeful on you!).

The courts aren't what they use to be. Good Luck with whatever decision you make. And thanks for all the good reads.

SilentHitz
June 9, 2008, 08:09 AM
You're welcome...baldy :D:p

SPUSCG
June 11, 2008, 02:04 PM
i remember hearing someone talk about being shot with rocksalt out of a shotgun

cschwanz
June 11, 2008, 07:35 PM
if i ever hear or find someone trying to steal my gas, im grabing my paintball marker and heading for the front door. 100% non lethal yet can create quite a sting if you are not accostomed to feeling the hit. something about a gelatin capsule travling at 300 fps some ppl dont like. Plus, if they jump in a car, put a few on the back window and then call the cops. itll be easy for them to identify the culprits.

Stevie-Ray
June 11, 2008, 07:46 PM
i remember hearing someone talk about being shot with rocksalt out of a shotgunMy mother once got her ass pelted with rocksalt for tipping over an outhouse. :D She was quite a brat, I guess, and had a sister and four brothers that were the same. I guess that was the Upper Peninsula's 30s version of stealing hubcaps or something. Not much to steal on tractors and horses and crap.;)

BillCA
June 11, 2008, 11:46 PM
if i ever hear or find someone trying to steal my gas, im grabing my paintball marker and heading for the front door. 100% non lethal yet can create quite a sting if you are not accostomed to feeling the hit. something about a gelatin capsule travling at 300 fps some ppl dont like.

They sting more if you freeze 'em first. :D

MrClean
June 12, 2008, 06:36 AM
if i ever hear or find someone trying to steal my gas, im grabing my paintball marker and heading for the front door. 100% non lethal yet can create quite a sting if you are not accostomed to feeling the hit. something about a gelatin capsule travling at 300 fps some ppl dont like.

Makes it pretty easy and tell-tale for Police to identify him too!

LE: "Can you identify him?"

You: "Sure I can, about 6', maybe around 200 lbs... baggy shorts with a white wife beater on.... left in a small white compact 4 door car, first part of tag is HGC. Oh.... and he'll have a big arse splatter of pink paint all over his neck area and a large whelp to go along with it."

:p

hoytinak
June 12, 2008, 09:54 AM
i remember hearing someone talk about being shot with rocksalt out of a shotgun

Yep, stings like a....well, you know. When I was in highschool we used to party out in the country on someboby else's land. Well the farmer found us one day and just started shooting. I got hit in the back as I was climbing into my Blazer. I didn't know it was rocksalt till I got to the hospital. :o Now, I'm one of the one with land out here, but I don't carry rocksalt in my shotguns. ;) But then again, I'm got gonna go shooting a bunch of kids just for partying out in the fields.

Ozarkian
June 14, 2008, 09:37 PM
My motorhome carries 234 gallons of diesel fuel, and a tractor that holds around 40 gallons of diesel, too. I have a 500, 150 and 100 gallon tanks of propane then there is a car, a jeep and two ATVs. Fuels thieves? I'm gonna just shoot, shovel and shut up.

I also have more than 150 acres of property and access to several hundred other acres.

HKFan9
June 15, 2008, 12:33 AM
Get an attack dog and chain him to the car at night, ofcourse with enough cable for him to bite a thief in the A$$ when he sees what the noise in the dark is:D

johnwilliamson062
June 15, 2008, 07:04 AM
I would imagine almost all the people on this forum make more than $10 an hour equivalent. So even after taxes a tank of gas is less than two days work, even for most trucks. Most of you probably make more like $20 an hour. You are going to shoot someone because they waste two or less days of work. If you are seriously saying yes I think you need to reconsider if you should own weapons. If I took a shot at everyone who's thoughtlessness, selfishness, or irresponsibility cost me 16 hours of work I would be short on family, friends, and neighbors. Get a lock and call the police.
Putting a gas can out with something that will maul a cars engine sounds like a great idea to me though. Gas is lighter than sugar water so it will stay on the top and should smell like gas and work well, although I have heard sugar does not really work. I know it failed on mythbusters. anyone know what will work? Maybe they did it wrong?

nstoolman1
June 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
I won't say how but there is a way to defeat a locking gas cap. I can have it off faster than you can use the key. The only way car, gas thieves are going to be deterred is to treat them the same way horse thieves were treated in the old west. A horse was considered valuable because it was a way a man made a living. Yes, they were only $25.00 but that was a months wage. Today many people use their cars and trucks for work and they cost far more than a horse did. Add in all the extra insurance we pay to cover the thefts that occur and it gets very costly. I know it will never happen so don't get excited but society (us) need to push for stiffer penalties that actually get inforced. Make it painful or costly enough and thieves will learn. My generation learned at a very early age to fear the law and respect our parents and authority. We need more parents today to apply a few more disciplinary swats to the rear ends of the kids today. They have no fear of consequences for their actions. Sorry about the rant.

Stevie-Ray
June 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
We need more parents today to apply a few more disciplinary swats to the rear ends of the kids today. They have no fear of consequences for their actions. Sorry about the rant.It's not a rant, it's simple truth. I've heard it said that we are raising a generation of terrorists. From what I see today, with a few exceptions, that's exactly right. Kids today have no conscience.

obxned
June 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
In the light of my high powered flahlight, the 6" of hose protruding from the goblin's hand might easily be mistaken for a gun. Or said goblin might be getting ready to torch my car or house. I am the most peaceful type you will find, but I do not gamble on the good intentions of bad people.

Stealing is a dangerous business, and the retirement plan is a major bummer.

BillCA
June 16, 2008, 02:55 AM
It's late and the mind is getting "inventive".

What's needed is a pepper spray grenade. Imagine a heavy cardboard tube about the size of those "traveller" size shave cream cans with a 3 second fuse. Pull pin, release spoon, lob near subject - Boomph! A six-foot by six-foot cloud of OC blossoms from the container.

"911, what is your emergency?"
"There's a gas thief at 123 Main street who needs a ride to jail."
"Do you have him in custody?"
Nah, no need. Arriving officers will recognize him. He's the one trying to bathe in 1/2-inch of gutter water."
:D

Stevie-Ray
June 16, 2008, 07:56 PM
"Do you have him in custody?"
Nah, no need. Arriving officers will recognize him. He's the one trying to bathe in 1/2-inch of gutter water.":DHehehehe

unkle.buck
June 16, 2008, 09:20 PM
It's not the younger ones, but their parents who train them. When I was young, about 45 years ago, I tried it. Got caught by a cop. He didn't say a word. Just stood there as I held the gas in my mouth. If I had swallowed it, he wouldn't even have known what I was doing. Yeah,right! Anyway, we became very good friends afterward. Of course, he always asked if I wanted a cigrette when I saw him! Just let the calls to 911 calm down for a few months. It will be easier to find a fuel-swallower when YOU catch him. Might even become good friends!

unkle.buck
June 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
Syphon's on sale at Wal-Mart!! Really!!