PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Supermag

seqhunter
June 3, 2008, 06:20 PM
I am looking for a pump 12g shotgun for all around use. I had bad experiences with Mossbergs, 500 and 5500 with frequent jamming, many years ago. I had heard good things about the Rem 870, and I am considering the Rem 870 Supermag which is on sale at the local Big5 for $350. I have read and heard some reports on the 870 Express quality being pretty poor in the last few years. The last thing I want is an unreliable pump (which in my opinion should be the ultimate in reliability). Any experience with the reliability of the newer 870 express supermag? How about compared to the regular 3" express or compared to other brands?
Thanks!

KMO
June 3, 2008, 06:36 PM
The pump action is so simple on both the 500 and the 870, I really don't think you can go wrong with either gun. If you've got a great deal at hand on the 870, I'd go for it.

goldenarrow
June 4, 2008, 01:13 AM
I have used a 870 express supermag as my main hunting duck, dove, quail, and pheasant gun for 4 years in some of the worst whether you can imagine. I think this is the most reliable shotgun you can buy. The only bad thing about this shotgun is the finish, every time I take the gun out of its case I have some slight surface rust. The rust can be cleaned off with a little oil on a rag and the rough finish hides it well.

MAX100
June 4, 2008, 03:39 AM
You shouldn't store a gun in a case because it will rust. Oil it well and store it out of the case in a rack.

seqhunter Not all Mossberg shotguns are like the unreliable one you had, it's rare. You can't go wrong with either 870 or 500. I do like the 870 design better though. The $350 price is a good deal.

GC