PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun for a trunk gun?

Super-Dave
June 1, 2008, 06:20 PM
I just picked up a $150.00 used mossberg 500 7+1 from the local gun shop.

I was thinking of using it for my car trunk gun.

Is this a good choice for trunk gun or should I go with a rifle or carbine instead?

I live in florida and the trunk heat in the summer might reach 160 degrees.

Is it safe to store shotgun ammo in the trunk? Will the extreme heat make the ammo less reliable? I was planning on storing the ammo in a airtight plastic ammo can with descicant.

What do yall think?

mikenbarb
June 1, 2008, 07:44 PM
Dave, You dont know by now:rolleyes:? Think about it, Heat, ammo, plastic parts:eek:. Hmmmmmmm, What do you think:confused:???? And trunks get hotter than 160 in the Florida sun. Also, Is it wise to leave a gun in your trunk:confused:??? What if someone steals or breaks into your car?? Sounds like they would get a free ride with a bonus:mad:. Oops, Forgot to mention that ammo is included with this theft. Its a problem waiting to happen and I dont think any sane gun owner would even consider something like that.:barf:
And why in the world would you want to leave a gun in your trunk? They belong in a locked vault and a car trunk isnt one.

Bill DeShivs
June 1, 2008, 08:07 PM
I find it strange that if someone steals your car, and it has a gun in it-or somene breaks in your locked car and steals your gun, that anyone could think the gun owner could be responsible! It's YOUR car that is being violated.
The heat won't hurt the gun or ammunition.

oneounceload
June 1, 2008, 08:15 PM
exposed to constant high temperatures, like we get here in Florida, MAY lead to some ammo degredation. The gun should be fine from heat, moisture and rust are something else....guess I second the question as to why would someone want to keep a gun in an inaccessible location.....

KCabbage
June 1, 2008, 08:16 PM
"Locked in vault", that a good one:D

The gun should be fine in the trunk, just check it every so often.
The ammunition should be fine as well, but make sure you know your ammunition well. I've heard the Winchester Ranger 00B has a waxy coating on the shots. You don't want that to melt and mix with your powder.

One more thing, I don't know about your state laws, but here in Nebraska you can't have the gun loaded. I can store a rifle/shotgun in the trunk as long as it's not loaded. So with a shotgun you must think about how quickly you can load it in stressful times. A magazine fed rifle would be much quicker into action.

Hope that helps.
Take care

KCabbage
June 1, 2008, 08:18 PM
Oneounce may be right. Shoot/change it every so often to be safe.

mikenbarb
June 1, 2008, 08:20 PM
Bill, Welcome to my strange state of N.J. with out of control gun laws. We have had homeowners jailed because someone stole a gun from their house and used it in a violent crime:barf:. They said its the homeowners responsibility to make sure their secured and locked up.:confused:

Pestman
June 1, 2008, 09:02 PM
I didnt know that Mike. I better lock up my gun. I live in an apartment and I don't plan on staying here to long. Is it worth it to get a gun safe? Who makes a good safe.

mikenbarb
June 1, 2008, 09:18 PM
Pestman, N.J. has some weird laws. You want to have a HD weapon but at the same time you can be arrester for having a loaded firearm within 450' of another occupied dwelling. And forget about it if your by a school and they find a gun unsecured thats loaded. You cant even have a cased gun on your backseat. The law reads that it has to be in the most rearward compartment of the vehicle cased and unloaded and gun and ammo have to be seperate from one another and not left unattended. Hmmmm, I dont get it.:confused:
You can get El Cheapo Homak vault at Wallyworld for about 100 bucks.

Bill DeShivs
June 1, 2008, 10:19 PM
If your house is locked, why is the gun not secured?
I would move as quickly as I could!

Rich Miranda
June 1, 2008, 10:59 PM
Welcome to my strange state of N.J.

mikenbarb, I lived in Jersey for nearly four years and I mean absolutely zero offense to you when I say this:

The reason Jersey has a reputation for being bass-ackward is (drum roll) because it is! :)

2 months for a long gun permit? :barf: Come on. But you already know this.... :D

mikenbarb
June 2, 2008, 06:26 AM
2 months for a long gun permit??????You got lucky. Try 6-10 now, And 6 Months -1 year for a one time use handgun purchase permit that you have to use in 6 months or its void. A gun that isnt in a vault in a house is considered movable property even if your doors locked. They consider a door and window an easy access area. I dont get the laws in this state but they suck! Legal gun owners get the screws all the time here. I had a friend that got into a verbal(YES VERBAL) argument with his gfriend and the police came, Took all his guns and he had to go to court 5 times to get them back. After 11 months and 13 days he got some back. Somehow they lost a couple.:barf: You have 364 days to recover your firearms from "safe keeping" and if you dont, They become property of the state and are destroyed.(even if you have court dates for this) TheotherTexas, I agree NJ is ass backwards and its because we have a bunch of wimpy, no backbone politicians here. We need a couple stand up type of guys in Trenton that stick up for gun owners and dont just sign every bill because the Anti's are protesting for it. Anyway, If you got caught with a gun being stored in your trunk with ammo(dont know why you would want to), You would be in jail for a bit. If its loaded and you dont have a carry permit your going for a long time.
Bill, Im going to look at property in Pa. next week. I lived there for a while and moved back to Jersey for family reasons. I cant wait to move back there.:D

Teuthis
June 2, 2008, 06:42 AM
Why do you need a "trunk gun?" What is the purpose of it? Do you think that as a citizen you are going to be engaging in major firefights where you will be able to haul that shotgun out of your trunk and assault blockaded suspects or multiple enemies on the streets?

Conceivably, just conceivably, there could be rare situations in which you might put a shotgun or carbine in your trunk for some specific moment. But I cannot see a need for someone to be carrying long guns in his trunk on a regular basis. You might ask yourself just how many times you have needed such weapons in the past. For most of us, that is about how many times you will need them in the future. If the time comes when we do need to carry arsenals about with us, we will all know it, and agree upon its efficacy.

Super-Dave
June 2, 2008, 07:01 AM
Okay,

The reason I picked this shotgun was because it was $150.00. If it gets stolen it is not much of a loss.

Here in florida there is not liability if someone steals your guns out of your house or car. (unless it is a minor that lives in your house or was invited into your house and your gun was unsecured).

So if Joe-Thug steals my $150.00 mossberg out of my trunk its better than him stealing a $1,400.00 benelli.

My question is really is the shotgun a good choice for a trunk gun?

Will the ammo stay reliable in the heat in the trunk?

My plan is to replace the ammo every 6 months.

Why do I need a shotgun in my trunk you may ask?

Suppose I am at work and the "GMLF" Gay Midget Liberation Front detonates an Emp explosive device in my city. All electricity is gone. All eletronic devices are fried. Riotting in the street begins.

I have to make it home to my family and my guns. Now without a trunk gun all I have is a pistol. Once the rioting begins many roads might be unaccesible by vehicle and I might have to go at it by foot.

I wait for night fall to travel on foot. As I am walking toward home a gang of thugs armed with chainsaws and cricket bats surround me and try to rob me.
With just the glock I might only take out 4 of them. With the mossberg I probably can get atleast 6. I shoot at the guys with the chainsaws first.

After I have expended all my ammo I grab the shotgun by the but stock and and use it like a bat. Easily defeating those with only a cricket bat. Once they have been dispatched I reload and continue home.

As I limp home, I realize someone must have gotten in a good swing with the cricket bat to my leg. Clutching the mossberg for security I head on. Out of now ware a pack of pitbulls infested with aids and foaming at the mouth charge at me. Bang, Bang, Bang, three of them are droped. Bang Bang, two more go down. One charges at my neck and gets a good grip. I go down. The dog is tearing me to shreds. In my last dying moves I grab my glock and pull the trigger "Kabooooooom" The glock explodes shreding me and the remaining dogs.

With my dying breath I yell "Vote for Obama".

mikenbarb
June 2, 2008, 07:16 AM
SuperDave, They make medication for that kind of stuff you have. Damn, Take up fishing or something.lol You wont have as many nightmares.
And still, I dont see a need for a trunk gun. If it gets that bad im hitting the gas and not looking back.
Oh, without electronic devices your car wont start.LOL now you have to invest in a scabbard for your bike. ROFL

KCabbage
June 2, 2008, 08:02 AM
Nice story Dave. Pretty vivid imagination you got there. You should make a movie out of it.:rolleyes:

Slap that shotty in the trunk. It's better to be prepared.

Take care

Rich Miranda
June 2, 2008, 09:03 AM
Suppose I am at work and the "GMLF" Gay Midget Liberation Front detonates an Emp explosive device in my city. All electricity is gone. All eletronic devices are fried. Riotting in the street begins.

I have to make it home to my family and my guns. Now without a trunk gun all I have is a pistol. Once the rioting begins many roads might be unaccesible by vehicle and I might have to go at it by foot.

I wait for night fall to travel on foot. As I am walking toward home a gang of thugs armed with chainsaws and cricket bats surround me and try to rob me.
With just the glock I might only take out 4 of them. With the mossberg I probably can get atleast 6. I shoot at the guys with the chainsaws first.

After I have expended all my ammo I grab the shotgun by the but stock and and use it like a bat. Easily defeating those with only a cricket bat. Once they have been dispatched I reload and continue home.

As I limp home, I realize someone must have gotten in a good swing with the cricket bat to my leg. Clutching the mossberg for security I head on. Out of now ware a pack of pitbulls infested with aids and foaming at the mouth charge at me. Bang, Bang, Bang, three of them are droped. Bang Bang, two more go down. One charges at my neck and gets a good grip. I go down. The dog is tearing me to shreds. In my last dying moves I grab my glock and pull the trigger "Kabooooooom" The glock explodes shreding me and the remaining dogs.

With my dying breath I yell "Vote for Obama".

This alone made this entire thread worthwhile. :D

Tuckahoe
June 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
A car trunk is a harsh environment for a firearm. With heat, humidity all take a toll. A marine coat finish would be the best choice for this duty.
If you keep a shotgun in the trunk do not store it fully loaded. With heat and pressure shotgun shells have been known to mushroom making the shotgun useless. When I was a deputy sheriff we always kept our shotguns in the trunk, the mossbergs held up good unless a deputy stored one in a case where rust became a major problem.

Super-Dave
June 2, 2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks tuckahoe.

I plan on giving this $150.00 shotgun the krylon paint job from wallmart. It should hold up well. Now all I need to do is find someone willing to sell me a cheap pistol grip full length stock and I am in bussiness.

mikenbarb
June 2, 2008, 03:08 PM
You can also add a couple turrets to the roof area.lol:D

Bill DeShivs
June 2, 2008, 03:41 PM
Super-Dave's post may actually be closer to reality than some of you think.
Memphis has seen it's share of riots, and is rife for more. Florida is full of racial and ethnic tensions. Terrorism is not only possible, but likely. Civil disorder would certainly follow a terrorist attack.
A beater shotgun or rifle in the trunk is not a bad idea.
When tensions are particularly high here in dear old Memphis, I "pack heavy" for my 30+ mile trip home through this wonderful city.

ws6_keith
June 2, 2008, 06:46 PM
If these damn Saiga's hadn't jumped in price so much, that was my pic for truck gun. I liked the idea of 2 mags - 10 rounds of 00 Buck and 10 rounds of slugs. But that is now a $1000 pkg! Jeez.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

KCabbage
June 2, 2008, 08:29 PM
So rust is a problem when stored in a case?
Wouldn't re-oiling every so often keep it maintained?
Or maybe putting some silica gel packets in the case?
Take care

mikenbarb
June 2, 2008, 08:37 PM
Just do a James Bond flip down secret compartment in the visor.LOL :D

J.Smith
June 5, 2008, 09:08 PM
Well if you live near Palm Beach, Florida heres a good reson to keep a trunk gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HrucqUaaZE

oneounceload
June 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
Well if you live near Palm Beach, Florida heres a good reson to keep a trunk gun.

more like a good reason to get the MP-5 and keep it between your seats......

J.Smith
June 6, 2008, 07:43 PM
I went out and bought 500 more rounds for each of my guns today, can't ever tell who might be living across town.

Super-Dave
June 7, 2008, 08:56 PM
So am I a paranoid lunatic?

Am I the only one that has a trunk gun?

Is a shotgun a bad choice for my trunk gun or should I use something else?

Doggieman
June 8, 2008, 04:18 AM
I think a trunk gun is a very good idea. I'd have one if I weren't so afraid of some shmuck breaking into my car.

ebutler462
June 8, 2008, 10:44 AM
I carry as a trunk gun 20 gauge Nova with a 24" barrel. Short, handy, and goes bang every time I use it. Maybe I should call it a truck gun. I go out to the farm about 2-3 times a week and it sure comes in handy with coyotes, crows, snakes and whatever else I want to pop a cap at.

I have a Taurus 85 in 38 caliber that I also carry at all times. I keep it loaded with snake shot but have 158 grain wadcutters in the case with the gun.

I hope that I never need to use either on a bad guy. If I need to, I will. After 30+ years as a cop, now retired, I will do what I have to do to stay alive. Since I am suffering with cancer, I hold life more dearly than I did when I was a detective dealing with danger every day.

That little Nova goes with me wherever I go. It takes up almost no room and is short enough to handle inside a vehicle. It is as ugly as sin with it's Star Wars space age looks, but it is a great life insurance policy. It is so ugly that it is cute. I enjoy getting out and shooting a few rounds when I get depressed and the chemo is tearing me up emotionally. I come back home refreshed and looking up instead of down.

Happy shooting.

mikenbarb
June 8, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think that you realy have to think about it if you need a "trunk gun" from a legal point of view. You have to check the laws in your city and see what they are in regards to carrying a weapon and ammo in your trunk for defense reasons. I think it would be pretty hard to convince a prosecuter that you were only out for a sunday drive when a bad guy gets shot because your defending yourself with a "trunk gun" that you keep in your car at all times "just in case". In the state I live, It would get you thrown in jail for quite a while if you didnt have a concealed carry permit. Especially in the city's that we have, You wouldnt ever want to be caught with a gun in your trunk. My opinion is that its a bad idea and if your that paranoid that you need to have one then you should have a good lawyer thats real up to date with the firearm legal issues if something ever happens with your "trunk gun" and its stolen or something worse. And how in the world do you plan to get to your trunk if your in the middle of a riot????????
PS- I can do certified armor plating if you want.:D

ebutler462
June 8, 2008, 05:14 PM
Mike, retired LEO's have a federal permit to conceal carry. They must qualify annually. Being a cop does not make friends among the bad guys. I'd rather be tried by 12 than to be carried by 6 to my grave.

I've been retired 15 or so years and still think like a cop. The Boy Scouts motto: Be prepared. Most cops have decent judgment and know when to charge people with carrying. You would be suprised at the number of people who tell the cops they are carrying during traffic stops, checkpoints, etc. There is too much paperwork involved in arresting good, decent people that are looking out for themselves. However, if the person is being arrested for another problem, then you charge for conceal carry. Judgment and discretion are the attributes of a good police officer.

Civil matters are different. There are a lot of hungry lawyers that will sue for anything, especially a stolen gun that can be traced back to you that has done damage. Police officers have better things to do than harrass people that are law abiding, except for the fact that they have a piece under the seat or in the trunk.

arizona98tj
June 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
You should make a movie out of it. :rolleyes:

I believe they were going to but Mel Gibson, the hoped for leading man, didn't want to share the big screen with a pack of midget pitbulls, which supposedly would pull him from a burning car just after he crashed it (he was heading to Barter Town for a little late night action). ;)

RedneckFur
June 8, 2008, 06:33 PM
I think a trunk gun is fine in a rural enviroment, but for an urban area, I'd stick with a CCW.

Say your riot does happen. You get out of your car, grab your shotgun, and start running away. Any cops/national guard who have been sent in to stop the violence are likely gonna see you as a potential target and put a few pounds of .223 into you.

Firepower!
June 8, 2008, 07:15 PM
I am sorry but I have to strongly agree with mikenbarb on this one. I simply cannot subscribe to the approach that ''I rather be tried by 12 other....6 to grave.'' Too many ambiguities in this approach. Rule of law come absolutely first. If we show disregard for the law than what difference is there between us and the 'bad' guys for whom we need to carry gun(s) for?

Rich Miranda
June 8, 2008, 07:43 PM
This is what I'm getting to to secure my shottie in the trunk...

I live in Texas where it is not only legal to carry guns in your car, it is encouraged! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/JerseyRich/shotgunlockclosedsmall.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/JerseyRich/Shotgunlockopensmall.jpg

Super-Dave
June 8, 2008, 08:01 PM
Okay first off I live in Florida. Its perfectly legal if I kept a .50 Berret sniper rifle in my trunk for self defense. I live in a no retreat state. That means I do not have to attempt to retreat in order to use deadly force to save my life or another's life.

No one here cares what type of gun you have as long as it is a legal gun.

I was going to use an AR-15 for my trunk gun but was afraid to lose it if my car gets stolen or broken into. I thought my $150.00 shotgun was a good choice because if it is stolen it is not much of a loss.

I do carry a glock and I have a CCL. But I figured that I really need more firepower if things get hairy while I am at work. I work downtown and some parts of it look like mogadishu.:mad:

If the shtf it would take national gaurd atleast 48 hours to establish a reasonable presense and the citizens of this city out number the cops 300:1 We are already the murder capital of the state and that is even without shtf.

So if the shtf you could not count on the national gaurd or the police for help. Even 48 hours might be expecting too much for government assistance.

mikenbarb
June 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
Super Dave, You keep saying "if its stolen". I want to tell you that if its stolen out of your trunk, You have no rite to keep it there. I think that a gun has its purpous for self defense but if its "stolen" and turned on innocent school kids or innocent people then its a big problem that should have never happened to begin with if the firearm was secured properly. And if its secured well enough for noone to steal, How long is it gonna take you to get out and use for personal defense??? Hmmm, I think the bad guy would have his way with you and you should have just hit the gas and kept going. Why take the chance if you already carry a Glock?
ebutler462, I am well aware of the carry laws involved with LEO. There are different types of LEO carry permits and not only one for all. Its a Federal issued permit and not a Federal carry permit(Can you carry in DC?).I have many friends that are State, County, and Local law enforcement and they can "carry" ONLY in the state they work and reside in.
And in NJ if someone gets pulled over with a gun in their trunk they better have it for hunting(with proper license) or have a carry permit or their going to jail. I realize different states have different laws but I dont see a reason to even get out of your car, dig thru the trunk for gun and ammo, load a shotgun and then defend yourself. ROFL, Im laughing because I worked in NYC for 13 years and never had a problem that I needed a gun. Also, My Union hall is in Camden NJ wich has the highest murder rate around and never had a problem their either. I think if you look for it its gonna find you. Dont be so paranoid and you wont have a problem.:cool:lol Do what you want, Im done.:rolleyes:

Bill DeShivs
June 8, 2008, 10:08 PM
Mike
Your logic here is backwards. You act as if it's OK for someone to steal from you, and if they do YOU are at fault. Pretty skewed.
You certainly have a NJ mindset.
If you have something in your car and your car is not locked, is it your fault if someone steals it? The answer is NO. No one has the right to steal from another, whether the item stolen is secured or not.
You put the blame on the victim, not the criminal.
Think about it. Or not.

Super-Dave
June 9, 2008, 05:50 AM
Some of the comments on this site confuse me.

Many people here must live in states that are worse than Nazi Germany.

The type of things you people post make me sick to my stomach.

Luckily I live in Florida where citizens have rights.

The more I read and post on this site the more I think I should never move to any other state unless it is Texas.

How can yall live under the jack booted thugs that run your states?

mikenbarb
June 9, 2008, 06:38 AM
Bill, I agree 100% with it being your possesion that someone shouldnt steal. I never said its ok for someone to steal from another but it happens and some are acting like it dont. But in our world today, It open game for criminals and I think if a gun is to be carried in a vehicle then it should be secured so that noone can get to use it except the one that ownes it. We all know that cars are broken into every day and its not an excuse to say that its in your trunk and thay have no rite to steal it. Criminals dont care, And thats the point im trying to make. If noone stole firearms, The world would be a heck of alot better place. Reality is that crimanals dont care if its your property or not, Their gonna take it anyway. Its not rite and I dont agree with theft at any degree but it happens and if another gun theft can be avoided, then it should be. And also, I think if you carry a firearm in a vehicle that the vehicle should be locked at all times when your not in eye sight of it. Gun ownership comes with certain responsibilities of owning them. And if someone is crazy or stupid enough to leave a gun in an unlocked car then they should keep them at home in the vault. Or do you think its ok to leave your vault unlocked also?

Super-Dave
June 9, 2008, 08:03 AM
I will agree that if you keep a gun in your car you should keep the car locked.

However if a criminal breaks into my locked car and steals a gun I have in my car and goes on a shooting rampage at an elementary school, I will not feel any guilt.

This is no different to me than if a criminal broke into my home and stold my guns and commited crimes with them.

No matter what you think, your guns are not safe from criminals.

I new a guy about 12 years ago. While he was on vacation someone drove up to his house cut out the safe he had bolted to the floor and his brick wall and halled his safe off. They cut out the wall from the outside of the house and loaded it up on a truck and left. There were tire marks in his yard where the hole in the wall was and you could tell that the wall was cut from the outside.

So if criminals steals my guns and commits crimes with them, I place the blame and responsibility on the criminal. I would feel no guilt.

Now this is different than if a child who is in your home finds an unsecured firearm and kills himself. I would feel plenty of guilt about this. In the state of Florida you must keep firearms secured and locked away if there are minors in your home.

JUNGLEBILL
June 9, 2008, 08:26 AM
dave,just doit, i have for years,,bill

Horseless Trooper
June 9, 2008, 10:24 AM
I keep a Maverick 12ga. in my trunk and have had no problems with it. I take it out once a month or so and wipe it down. I do not have any particular need for a car gun but I don't see any reason to not have it. I have never been attacked or robbed in 52 years but I still carry a handgun. Must just be paranoid.

Rich Miranda
June 9, 2008, 02:15 PM
To summarize my thoughts....

Most of us are not going to need our CCW - ever. Most of us won't need a shotgun in the trunk - ever.

But we prepare for the unlikely need to defend ourselves by training with these arms and having them with us.

I don't think it is paranoia to keep a car/trunk/ccw gun. It's just being prepared. Yeah, the day may never come, but if it does, you'll be ready.

One must take normal precautions when it comes to securing your firearms in the car.

EDIT: At the tender age of 18 I was carjacked, kidnapped, robbed of everything, and left in the middle of nowhere. God was looking after me and I was not killed. I hope the odds of this happening again are astronomical, but I'm still not taking any chances.

mikenbarb
June 9, 2008, 03:19 PM
SuperDave, How many guns are needed in your car to feel safe? You already stated that you carry a Glock with a concealed carry permit. When asked why you needed to carry a shotgun also, You came up with some reason of midgets with cricket bats hitting you in the legs.(im still lmao:D) In all reality you will proably never have a need to use a trunk gun except to dispatch a deer hit by a car let alone use it for self defense reasons. You already carry a Glock. Go to the local sports shop and buy a few x-tra clips for it(sure you already got)and it will be alot more practical and maybe even safer in the long run. I am giving my opinion based on the laws in the state I live in and my personal thoughts of what "could" happen and not on what proably wont happen. I know the laws vary from state to state but we all have to think of safe firearm storage and handling no matter where we live. If you feel you can safely store your shotgun in your trunk then go for it. Just make sure you can identify yourself quickly to LEO if you have to use it and they happen to be in the area. You dont want them thinking your the bad guy holding a street sweeper. Good luck with whatever you choose.

oneounceload
June 9, 2008, 03:57 PM
Dave - you ought to move to Gainesville - everyone is sssoooooooooo zen there, they'll convince you you not only don't need a gun, but you won't even need a car to carry one in....... (and the coeds are pretty cute too!)

Seriously, IF I lived in an area where I had to worry about a Katrina-type scenario, I think I would move to someplace where that possibility is less.......you might try The Villages.......:D

plom
June 9, 2008, 04:17 PM
Super Dave, do it, better safe than sorry!

Omaha-BeenGlockin
June 9, 2008, 04:31 PM
Why do you need a trunk gun?? Think Katrina--North Hollywood---LA riots---will it happen to you?? Not likely---BUT better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it---you never know.

I kept a POS Remington Viper in the trunk for years---no case---it never rusted and always worked when I pulled it out to run a few mags through it for function testing----I gave it zero love and no maintainence and it still worked everytime.

ebutler462
June 9, 2008, 06:44 PM
Most states recognize CCLs from other states though a compact agreement. I don't need to go to DC. I, however, have been in VA and MD where the permit is recognized.

I have advised officers when going through checkpoints in several states, that I am carrying. They appreciate my telling them and we usually end up swapping war stories. I've never had one to over react. They check my permit sometimes. I always tell them I have a gun. I got stopped for speeding in another state that is an anti-gun state. When the officer approached me, I advised him that I had a weapon. He asked me to tell him where it was. I did and he personally retrieved it. Then he asked for my permit. We chatted for about ten minutes and he told me to slow it down and went on about his business. No citation!

I haven't researched the laws of the various states. However, I have found that every officer that I have had contact with since I retired has been very respectful and has seemed to enjoy having a chat with a retired cop that has been there, done that. Attitude means everything.

Little Wolf
June 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
A trunk gun is a great idea, and a Mossberg 500 is a great gun for it.

WacosSon
June 18, 2008, 12:12 AM
I honestly could not stop laughing - great image! The 2nd Amendment champion in me has problems with the Obama part, but I digress...

I agree that a Marine finish would be better for this type of application. NEVER store your ammo in the weapon. You will certainly have mushrooming. I would make sure that you keep your ammo in a tight container, possibly with a rag around it to absorb any moisture. As far as the gun itself, I'd oil it a few times a month and keep an eye on the condition of the plastic. I assume its plastic with a pricetag like that. Also, don't mount it to the trunk lid, but rather keep it under the carpet, maybe even in a pelican-type case for moisture.

Lastly, as so many have said, check with local law enforcement. The last thing you want is a speeding ticket search that lands you in overnight...

kmrcstintn
June 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
mossberg in plastic storage case w/ foam padding & cheap military surplus dessicant packs for moisture control; ammo in separate ammo can (ideal) or in quart sized ziplock bags with smaller dessicant packs; if you want really rough-n-ready, keep ammo in elastic buttcuff shell holders inside storage bags, this way you slip the buttcuff on the buttstock of the gun & go (load on the run); occasionally clean the gun & oil the metal surfaces; switch ammo every few months; good to go!!!

Wleoff
June 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
Okay, I'm 61 and grew up in the florida panhandle. For years I carried a Remington 870 in my truck, but never used it. I switched to a Marlin 30-30 because it seemed more practical. I've used it to put away a deer hit by a car, to shoot coyotes and wild dogs on a friend's farm, to kill a couple of snakes and a rabid racoon. All these things happened in rural settings. Now I'm mostly in an urban area and only stick the Marlin in when going out into the country. I do always keep a pistol in my F150 console. Still have to drive a truck.

Crosshair
June 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
Personally, I would get a pistol caliber carbine. A Hi-Point 995 or 4095 comes to mind. Not only would it have a longer effective range than a shotgun, (From personal testing, effective range out to about 125-150 yards, lethal range out to a little past 200.) you would also have a much more precise weapon because of the better sights and because it is a rifle. Ammo is lighter so you can carry more.

Overall I think the PCC is the better choice.

HogManMagnum
June 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
Dave, throw the mossy in the trunk and dont worry about it. check on it every so often and u'll be ok

i live in florida and i know the laws here too... FL is NOT NJ! fl sux for alot of reasons but it is VERY gun friendly. with no CCW u can have a loaded pistol in the glovebox and a loaded ak-47 in the trunk, LEGALLY!

now personally, i wouldnt want a shotgun as a trunk gun. sure, u cant beat the firepower and intimidation factor of a 12 ga but as already stated the shells could mushroom if kept loaded in the weapon and reloading is a pain. IMO the best long gun to have in the trunk is something magazine-fed that can be kept loaded and have a reload at the ready.

+1 on the Hi Point carbine. ugly as sin but reliable and cheap.

Dave, if u wanna use ur shotty got for it, just keep an eye on the ammo. a loaded buttstock sleeve in a plastic can with some silica packs seems like a great idea...

oh and thanx 4 the gay midget/cricket bat/obama story. i needed a good laugh :D
good shootin

jaydottcomm
June 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
I loved the story i wish you would write more. But im with Billy D on this one. I didnt know NJ was like that. Charge the owner for someone stealing thier gun and using it. Who commited the crime? Why do people act like guns are the only thing that can kill a person? How bout a a set of Kitchen knives? If someone breaks into my house a steals my cutlery, going on to commit murder with it, i am to blame. Theres some politics going on there. I agree that there should be a level of responsibility involved in owning a firearm, but damn. For instance, I keep my silverwear where the kids cant reach. But thats crazy! I lock my house and my car. I should not have to bond the trunk with liquid cement, then wrap it in duck tape and slap a master lock on it to secure a fire arm. If i lock my trunk then it should be secure or at least considered secure by law. Now, if someone chooses to un"SECURE" my trunk and steal my belonging then all the guilt should transfer to the thief. Period. Its not as if you left the gun lying on the roof where anybody could get it.