PDA

View Full Version : H&R Pardner

johnwilliamson062
May 31, 2008, 06:07 PM
H&R Pardner w/ screw in choke (http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerScrewIn.aspx)
I just bought this shotgun and took it to the range. It is obviously extremely simple, but it is well built. I was extremely happy with it. Bought it for squirrels /rabbits and to play around with some sub cal adapters.. Expecting to continue to be very happy with it. Anyone have any long term experience with it? Or any similar guns from H&R?

kozak6
May 31, 2008, 06:39 PM
I have my grandfather's H&R Topper model, which is essentially the same shotgun.

There were some problems with the forend screw working loose. The wood it screwed into was stripping out. So, I squirted some glue in there, tightened it down, and it was fine.

It's a durable shotgun. You shouldn't have any problems.

King Ghidora
June 1, 2008, 03:43 AM
I have a New England Firearms Pardner which is the same gun. Mine is a 12 ga. and is only about 10 years old. It's a fine gun as inexpensive single shot, break down shotguns go. It's lightweight and easy to carry when hunting but has more of a kick because of the lack of weight of course. Still I wouldn't have any problem taking it out to hunt squirrels or rabbits or birds (probably not a turkey).

I actually could have had an identical model in a 20 ga. but I loaned money to my bro in law to buy it. He got hard up and sold it though and didn't even give me a chance to buy it from him which ticked me off. Now he wants to borrow mine. I guess that's what happens with oilers.

There's a way to tell how old it is from the serial number but I forget exactly how it works. It has to do with the letters but I don't remember how. I'm sure you can find the info if you look around. Mine was made in 1998.

banditt007
June 5, 2008, 09:55 PM
I've had one for one hunting season so far, bought new. its the 12gauge pardner w/ fixed mod choke. i absolutly love the thing! i got it b/c lugging around my win 1300 to fire one shot at quarry was absurd, i did not need a repeater for the hunting i was doing. i find it a joy to carry, and espeically to clean. i love it b/c you can literally undo the forearm screw and it breaks down. and on top of that even if you were to lose that screw it will still function fine (just control the barrel when releasing it from being locked up so it doesn't fall off) which is great in the field/camping ect.

its my go to shotgun for hunting. light weight, rugged as hell, locks up really tight no play, super simple and very easy to carry around very safely. i carry it with the barrel cracked open and hanging down with a shell in the chamber and just keep my thumb over the back of the shell so it won't fall out. much safer than having a round in the chamber relying on a saftey. obviously operater being of the most importance.

Also i was thinking of getting a poly choke brazed on with a total length of 18 or 18.5" to play it safe. broken down you can fit it right into a camping backpack and have the versitility of all sorts of chokes.

anyhow there is nothing i dont like about it, and its my favorite over my pump gun for hunting. i recomend every one buy one!

also note that you can buy barrels for other gauges and have them installed (i think h&r fits each barrel to your gun so you send in the reciever) but unfortunatly you cannot fit a rifle barrel to the shotgun frame. however if you were to buy the rifle from them you can fit the shotgun barrels.

if the hunting you do seldom requires a second shot (which really isnt too hard to reload fairly quickly) i couldnt think of a better gun!

Dave McC
June 6, 2008, 08:22 AM
Lots of us have these in our memory files. I started on a 16 gauge H&R that had been my father's first shotgun, purchased by HIS GF ca 1928. If kin hadn't taken it to the beach and let it rust into uselessness we'd still be using it.

A couple things.....

The NEF that was Son's first is a 12 gauge. It weighs 5 lbs, 9 oz and is a vicious kicker with heavy loads. With handloaded 3/4 oz loads, it's a creampuff for experienced shooters and tolerable for newbies. Start off light and use good form. And an aftermarket premium pad like a Limbsaver or Decellerator is a good idea.

The trigger on Son's weighs more than the gun. This inhibits fine work with slugs and even wingshooting. A trigger job is a great idea and as always, should be left to professionals.

johnwilliamson062
June 6, 2008, 11:11 AM
yeah i shot a 3" DREM slug out of this baby and it was a lot of kick. I think I will keep to 3/4 from now on.

ARGarrison
June 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
I'll start by saying they are nice firearms for the money.

Long term; We have several in our club, 12ga , 20ga and even some .410s. They take a beating. Say something like 750+ rounds a year! Most people would never put that through there own single shot. They have two weakness. First is the firing pin. Most last two years before it breaks. Second is the transfure bar or accually the little pin that the transfure bar hinges on. Had a third problem pop up last year, the gun would open under recoil. This has only happened with the one shotgun. We figured out it was the spring to the latch that locked the action closed. It was weak and not pushing the lacth fully forward to lock up all the way.

All these are fixed chokes, so don't know anything about the screw in choke models. Never had a problem with any screws working loose either.

chris in va
June 8, 2008, 11:43 AM
Had a third problem pop up last year, the gun would open under recoil.

Had that happend with a used 20ga I had briefly. Somewhat disconcerting. It wasn't in the best shape so I expected problems.

Now my 410 has been great, no issues.

Laz
June 8, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have only recently discovered the allure of these single-shot shotguns. I have to say, I have become hooked. Don't know exactly what it is but I think some of it has to do with a general trend in my life that simple is better. I have not yet hunted with a single-shot but plan on giving it a real college try this fall. Till then, I'm going to play with my Trius one-step and bust as many clays as I can. I only hope that the Remington is being accurate in saying they are moving the production to other locations without trimming the line after closing the Gardner plant. Until then, I plan on picking up one or two more of these simple, inexpensive, and fun shotguns. Sigh, in some ways I was born just a wee tad too late. The world I would be a part of is fast slipping away (said Laz as he casts his words into cyberspace...).

King Ghidora
June 9, 2008, 03:01 PM
When I was young (early 1960's) lots of people hunted quail and dove with a single shot, breakdown gun. They were thought to be the safest gun to carry because people carried them broke down. They were also light, accurate and reliable. It's a way of hunting that is rarely seen today it seems. But I remember when most people hunted birds that way. There were no turkeys to hunt at the time so there wasn't any concern for the low weight causing recoil problems.

BTW I shot mine with some Hi Brass #4 last week and I thought it had broken my shoulder. Man did it ever kick hard. I had gotten too used to using my 870 with an R3 recoil pad which makes everything seem like you're shooting a .410. I put a mark on my shoulder that's still there today and it's been about 5-6 days I guess. I haven't had that much of a kick from a shotgun since we shot the same kind of single shot guns as a kid. Now I remember why we shot bird shot only in those guns. :)

So if you want to shoot anything with full power definitely get a better recoil pad. The one that comes on it stock might as well not be there at all and with the low weight of the gun it's pretty much limited to bird shot unless you add a better pad.

Rebailey
June 20, 2008, 05:57 PM
I started out with a .410 Single. Killed many rabbits and squirrels with it. Shells were $1 a box then or 6 for a quarter. Since then have had many expensive shotguns. About 10 years ago I found a Stevens 107b single. Good walnut, and slick as a button, 30'' barrel full. I have taken about 20 gobblers with it and all 1-shot. It is light and handy. I have come full circle and now only hunt with the Stevens. Turkey, doves, etc. I will be 80 this year.

blu97
June 29, 2008, 12:35 AM
Bought one in 243 about 8 years ago,
when I brought it home there was an offer in the box for extra barrels.

Sent it back to H&R for a rifled slug barrel and a 3 1/2 mag barrel for steel shot with screw in chokes.

Think they were only about $45 each. Total cost was under $300 for a rifle and two shotguns, don,t know if they still offer this.

Limeyfellow
June 29, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have two H&Rs from the late 60s and early 70s. The first in .410 and the second in 20 gauge and they both fire really nicely. They make good utility weapons, but yes they can have quite a kick considering their light weight, but in a few moments you can have it broken down and stowed away which is really nice.

johnwilliamson062
June 29, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah the kick is ferocious. My plan is simply to get a nice recoil pad put on mine. One of the gellatinish ones. I just shot a legit trap event for the first time today with a borrowed Mossberg 500 and a random O/U both in 20 ga. I would like to take my 12 out next time. Any suggestions for how to improve it. I am willing to put $200 into it without thinking about it, anything more than that would take some pondering.