PDA

View Full Version : Back up Knife?

9ballbilly
May 28, 2008, 03:58 PM
I've read quite a bit lately about the pros and cons of carrying a BUG. I personally never have, even when I was a cop. I did carry a sap, switchblade, and push knife while on duty and have continued the practice of carrying a tactical/personal defense knife daily in addition to a handgun.
Mine is a Kershaw 1640 vapor designed by Ken Onion with a 3" blade. I'm curious, how many of you guys carry a tactical knife in addition to your firearm? Anyone use pepper spray? Something else?

Note: I'm not making any judgement of BUG's. Just wondering how many people chose a different option.

Keltyke
May 28, 2008, 04:16 PM
In the past, I knew LEOs who carried a gun, two speed loaders (in the days of revolvers), a blackjack, pepper spray, a nightstick, AND a Maglite. I've known some cops to carry a backup piece AND a "throwdown" piece.

Carrying CWP, I've never carried a backup gun or spare ammo. Maybe I'm kidding myself. I feel pepper spray has too much chance of missing or being misdirected by the wind in addition to a hype or drunk not feeling it, and a knife allows the perp to get too close.

Moe Howard
May 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
Both I carry a BUG, a primary with extra mag, a lockback knife, (Camillus Heat), and a Victorinox Swiss Champ pocket knife with 30+ tools. When I am at work I have a Leatherman, and whatever else I can get into my vest. When I get undressed at night it is like disarming Germany.:eek:

ElectricHellfire
May 28, 2008, 04:35 PM
I have a number of different blades that I rotate out with my CCW. The "most carried" list is as follows:

(I carry only one of these at a time) :)

Spyderco Endura
Benchmade Ambush
SOG Flash II
SOG Trident
Kershaw Speed Bump (Ken Onion)

I also carry a Ontario RAT-3 Fixed blade and Leatherman Micro in my Maxpedition Versipack.

honkylips
May 28, 2008, 04:45 PM
I've known some cops to carry a backup piece AND a "throwdown" piece.

That's a pretty bold assertion to make. So you personally know cops who carry 'throwdown' pieces, or you're just making uneducated assumptions?

ChicagoTex
May 28, 2008, 04:50 PM
I used to carry a Vapor II as my fairly non-threatening "college knife" because it wasn't blacktical and it was cheap in case it ever got confiscated by the local college gestapo.

Back in my on-duty days however it was a Kershaw Blackout, mostly because I liked the idea of reliable and quick deployment each and everytime and the all-black finish went well with my uniform pants (which were also black). Bear in mind however I didn't carry it as a weapon, the thought was always in my mind that it might be needed as such, but really, I just carried it for utility.

The only knife I own that I really think could cut it as a "fighting" knife is my first generation Spyderco Chinook, but it eats up my entire pocket and scares the sheeple something fierce, so I don't carry it much.
My Benchmade TSEK Axis is a close second.

Shadi Khalil
May 28, 2008, 04:55 PM
I carry a small pocket knife along with my pistol and an extra mag. I have always had a knife in my pocket, ever since I was a little kid. I never thought of it as a defensive tool till I took some CC classes. Since taking the classes I've decided to get a knife that meets the needs what what I was taught to use it for defensively as well of something that cuts stuff....I ordered a SOG twitch. Im pretty excited.

EastSideRich
May 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
I always carry a knife; not so much as a back-up weapon, but because they always come in handy. I end up using it for something at least 9 out of 10 days.

A couple of knives I regularly carry could easily be used for self defense (Kershaw Boa, Sog Flash Tanto)

On occasion I'll carry a Colt Commander boot knife (which I would consider an actual fighting knife)

Usually (until I lost it a couple of months ago:mad::mad::mad: after about five or six years and THOUSANDS of times being used) I carry a Kershaw Scallion. It's blade is 2 1/4"; it could really hurt you, but definitely not meant for self defense.

Everyone should carry a knife at all times. IMHO it's absolutely the most useful tool on the planet.
After all, our ancestors were using blades for cutting over 2 Million yrs ago.

Moe Howard
May 28, 2008, 05:27 PM
Everyone should carry a knife at all times. IMHO it's absolutely the most useful tool on the planet.

I second that motion.;)

sophijo
May 28, 2008, 05:49 PM
Chris Reeves; Sabenza

spamanon
May 28, 2008, 05:49 PM
I only carry my Emerson Karambit.

http://www.emersonknives.com/pics/knives/karambit/Karambit_BT.jpg

http://www.emersonknives.com/pics/knives/karambit/Karambit_BT.jpg

http://collectingtokens.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/tomato_pd.jpg

Crimp
May 28, 2008, 06:38 PM
I always have a pocket knife. Usually my little Buck 505. Often, I'll drop a Kershaw Leek or Scallion in my pocket. I have absolutely no training or knowledge of using a knife as a weapon, so it scares me more than comforts me.

RT
May 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
Benchmade Griptilian is on my wasteband all the time

Erik
May 28, 2008, 08:06 PM
"Everyone should carry a knife at all times. IMHO it's absolutely the most useful tool on the planet."

Yep.

Erik- who advocates and carries a BUK.

soccergod04
May 29, 2008, 01:34 AM
Always have at least one knife on me.

starshooter231
May 29, 2008, 04:13 AM
I don't carry a BUG I do however carry a knife. I have carried a pocket knife since I was a little kid. I carry one now just in case I can not draw my sidearm or I am in a car wreck and can't get the buckle to release. You never know when you will need a knife for a job a sidearm just can't do.

Hk_Allday
May 29, 2008, 07:34 AM
In normal everyday life, I don't carry a BUG. Florida weather and corresponding attire can make CCW interesting for a single sidearm, let alone two.

I never leave the house without my Benchmade auto-styker in my hip pocket, but I suppose I consider it more "utility" than "back up". There are so many things in life where a knife is just simply better applied than a gun.

As for letting the BG get too close, well here's some graphic (very graphic) photos of what getting too close to a knife can end up like.

I'll post as attachments, so those who don't wish to look don't have to see them.

scoutleader
May 29, 2008, 07:36 AM
I carry my SOG or my Benchmade. At work I still carry the SOG since I can not CCW at work.
Danny

Keltyke
May 29, 2008, 07:39 AM
"That's a pretty bold assertion to make. So you personally know cops who carry 'throwdown' pieces, or you're just making uneducated assumptions?"

I stand by my statement.

flyby
May 29, 2008, 07:48 AM
a Cold-Steel Voyager folding tanto is one of my favorite carry knives...
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi/36539.jpg
..also have a Spyderco,Gerber,Benchmade etc...

flyby
May 29, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'll post as attachments, so those who don't wish to look don't have to see them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TooCloseToKnife.jpg (50.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg TooCloseToKnife-1.jpg (36.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg TooCloseToKnife-2.jpg (45.8 KB, 6 views)AHH Ouch!! Someone stitch those poor sobs up already :barf: :D

Archie
May 29, 2008, 10:15 AM
Between the era of swords and daggars and the era of reliable cartridge firearms, most people carried something akin to a Bowie knife as their primary defense weapon. Based on the technology of the time, a good fighting knife was far more reliable than most of the handguns available and far more utilitarian in general life.

Sadly, the open carry of an eight to ten inch long knife has fallen into disfavor.

I normally carry a small pocket knife, but not as a weapon. I have a larger knife mounted on my 'outdoors' equipment belt.

vostracker
May 29, 2008, 11:45 AM
When I was on duty and off I always carried a knife, but no BUG. I just love myt "GT" ATS-34 spring op opening blade with tanto point. My other is a plain blade CRKT M16-03Z. My multi-tool is a Gerber.

ginshun
May 29, 2008, 12:26 PM
Its not a back up to anything, because stupid Wisconsin doesn't allow conceled carry, but my nomal EDC knife is a Strider SnG.

Hard Ball
May 29, 2008, 12:36 PM
I carry an Emerson Commander. It is a very useful tool and a very effective weapon.

Hard Ball
May 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
"When I get undressed at night it is like disarming Germany."

+3!

bikerbill
May 29, 2008, 04:41 PM
Been carrying a knife every day for 30 years or more ... my favorite is a Ka-Bar 3-inch Dozier Design folder ... also carry a Spyderco Byrd or a new knife I picked up from Russell's, a Boker ... quit carrying a Kershaw Chive a while back when the safety failed, the blade opened a bit in my pocket and I almost cut off a finger ... 8 stitches to put the tip back together ... I use whatever I'm carrying every day for something, and I guess in a pinch, they might be helpful against BGs if the gun runs dry and I missed ...

NWHick
May 29, 2008, 06:04 PM
+1 for the Benchmade Griptillian. I have the 550 model which is now quite worn and has been discontinued. I also carry a Benchmade CBK push dagger on occasion. There are a couple of other blades in my drawer but I use these the most.

arktravler
May 29, 2008, 06:30 PM
If my pants are on... I've got a knife. Like many on here, I grew up carrying a knife. They're such handy critters, hard to imagine folks not having one. I carry a SOG spring assist, or a Buck spring assist, or an old school biker favorite... Buck 110;)

Mannlicher
May 29, 2008, 06:40 PM
I carry a back up gun. I am NOT going to pull a knife to fight it out with some guy armed with a gun, if I run out of rounds.

anthonydr2
May 29, 2008, 08:00 PM
I carry a Ken Onion Leek with Assisted Opening; however, I'll soon be switching to the black shallot version within the line. I own three Ken Onion's already; they are great knives.:cool:

Lawyer Daggit
May 29, 2008, 11:19 PM
I think the days of the 'throw down piece' are definitely over. DNA can raise too many interesting questions.

ChicagoTex
May 29, 2008, 11:32 PM
DNA can raise too many interesting questions.

It could, if you normally got DNA on your gun, which you don't unless you shed, slobber, or bleed on it.

EastSideRich
May 29, 2008, 11:54 PM
bikerbill wrote:
quit carrying a Kershaw Chive a while back when the safety failed, the blade opened a bit in my pocket and I almost cut off a finger

Funny story:
I also have a chive. I used to carry it alot.
I never set the safety on any of my knives and it's never a problem - except for the chive. I don't like the safety because it defeats the purpose of an assisted-open knife.

A few years ago, while Christmas shopping, I was standing at the counter at store buying a gift for my wife. Upon reaching into my right front pocket to grab my bank card (I didn't carry a wallet at the time, just my card and ID in a pocket) I discovered my chive had popped open (again).

A more accurate way of saying this would be : Upon removing my hand from my pocket I discovered it was open.

When this happens the knife blade opens to about 45 deg, blade pointing downward.
At first I felt a burning sensation on the back of my hand, I kinda knew what had happened, but thought I just scraped the blade against my skin pretty hard.
As I gave the girl at the counter my card, I realized I had basically filleted the back of my hand, above my pinky.
It was one of those cuts that took a couple of seconds to start bleeding real good.
As she rung me up - which seemed like it took forever - I just tried to keep a straight face as blood ran down my finger and dripped onto their floor (bleeding alot at this point).
When I left and looked at it more closely, I realized I came extremely close to opening a large vein, which would have made it much harder to keep my cool.
Probably could have used a few stitches, but I don't know if they stitch flaps of skin like that.

The moral of the story:
Be careful with Ken Onion Chives!!
They seem to pop open in your pocket alot.

Bill DeShivs
May 30, 2008, 12:36 AM
Knives are tools. Can they be used for defense? Yes, but you would be better off with a screwdriver.

spamanon
May 30, 2008, 01:57 PM
Knives are tools. Can they be used for defense? Yes, but you would be better off with a screwdriver.

Wow, I would say that is totally wrong. A screwdriver can stab, but so can a knife. A knife can cut, but a screwdriver cannot. If you are thinking of a poorly made knife that won't take the same types of impacts associated with a fight that a screwdriver can, I am not. A well made knife (especially a fixed blade) can handle any defensive situation a screwdriver can.

Bill DeShivs
May 30, 2008, 02:38 PM
Spamanon
I'm very familiar with modern (and antique) knives of all types. I design, make, and repair them.
Knives are not good defensive tools, period. Certainly they can be used for defense. So can an ink pen.
What bothers me about these posts is that many people feel they could actually use a knife effectively for defense. These are usually the same people who espouse that carrying any gun under .40 cal will get you killed.
A knife is a poor choice for defense compared to a .25 automatic.

SD_Chop
May 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
everyday on and off duty. a benchmade mini reflex auto knife. front right pocket off duty, right side cargo pocket o duty

spamanon
May 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
Knives are not good defensive tools, period. Certainly they can be used for defense. So can an ink pen.
What bothers me about these posts is that many people feel they could actually use a knife effectively for defense. These are usually the same people who espouse that carrying any gun under .40 cal will get you killed.

I would agree with your last statement. Nearly any gun is better than a knife, and I am not one to say anything less than a .40 is zero. But in the post I was commenting about, you didn't compare a knife to a mousegun, you compared it to a screwdriver. That is where we disagree.
I would agree that it is bothersome when people think owning a knife makes them an expert in knife defensive tactics, but the same could be said about owning a screwdriver! My point is that for the same amount of training, I would rather have a good sturdy knife to defend myself than a screwdriver, but I would still take a gun over either.

bleirrot
May 30, 2008, 03:04 PM
Spamanon
I'm very familiar with modern (and antique) knives of all types. I design, make, and repair them.

I agree with you 100%, but I think spamanon was referring to your statement that you'd be better off with a screwdriver.

As for me, I carry a Ka-bar Dozier folder every day. My first knife ever; I got it back when I was 15.

sw_florida
May 30, 2008, 03:50 PM
I dropped a nice German-made folding knife I had bought on sale and couldn't make myself by an equally expensive again. I called around to the places I had been to that day, but, nope, no knife. I bought a Japanese-made knife at a gun show later and the grip, blade and price were all good. It's more or less impossible to inflict damage on a pitbull with your bare hands, and especially if they are two or more. To reload a revolver with a pitbull hanging from your wrist will not be easy. A knife can be useful in such a situation, along with opening packages.

Brad Kenney
May 30, 2008, 04:37 PM
I always carry a decent folding knife on or off duty (Spyderco Endura or Chinook). On duty, I think a backup gun is wise. Off duty, I don't.

Stiofan
May 30, 2008, 05:04 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm138/StiofanGA/henckelsstockman4blade.jpg

I carry this Henckels 4 blade stockman pocketknife 99% of the time with me, except mine has a buffalo horn handle.

About 75% of the time I also carry my Gerber multi-tool, but that really can't be termed defensive, although it has a small blade.

About 10% of the time I carry my old and worn Buck 110, especially when hiking/fishing/camping/hunting. Served me well over the last 30+ years, and still in great shape as far as use, but I have so many things hanging from my belt I usually forgo it around town now.

FLA2760
May 30, 2008, 06:12 PM
I carry a Smith 642 as a BUG to my Glock27. I have carried a knife for years even before a gun. Currently I carry either a Cold Steel Safemaker III that I wear as a neck knife or a Kabar TDI small size worn on belt. I also have a Benchmade folder with a 3.5 inch balde that stays in the drawer most days now. ;)

tplumeri
May 30, 2008, 06:25 PM
So you personally know cops who carry 'throwdown' pieces,

buddy of mine back in NY does. he calls it his "disposable" gun.

bigghoss
May 31, 2008, 01:35 AM
I carry a CKRT m16 knife with about a 4 inch blade everywhere. mostly just because I need a decent knife for everyday cutting chores but it's big and sharp enough to

Brad Kenney
May 31, 2008, 11:48 AM
I was going to comment on the foolishness of "throwdown" weapons, but decided it's obvious.

I encourage every cop to carry a backup while on-duty. One major consideration is we all tend to focus on the other guy's weapon and we will both probably shoot at it. So . . . if we get hit in the hand or the handgun, a backup could make the difference.

Erik
May 31, 2008, 04:01 PM
On whether or not knives may be used effectively to fight with:

Of course they can. Which is not to say that all people, all knives, or all supposed "knife fighting" techniques lend themselves well to the prospect.

For example, someone who knows his way around a boxing gym would be a devastating opponent in close with a push knife in his fist. It would be fighting with a knife, all right, and damned right it would be effective, even without much resembling what many consider to be "knife fighting."

Or another, this time with a mixed martial artist looking to ground and pound someone having introduced a conveniently located small fixed blade. Again, not much like "knife fighting" in the minds of many, but effective? Yep.

But, perhaps even more true than Cooper's quote would be it adapted for knives:

"Owning a knife doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

DeathRodent
May 31, 2008, 10:04 PM
I carry a Camillus Heat to work most days. Its a handy tool to have even in the office environment - used it this week to pry the lid off the battery compartment on a safe at work.

Cut the plastic tag on some reading glasses my wife bought this afternoon.

When I walk the dogs I like to slip a Camillus Cuda Maxx in my pocket. Of course thats not for self defense either cause self defense isn't allowed in Kalifornia.

Hard Ball
June 1, 2008, 03:22 PM
When I am carrying weapons openly "give me a knife like Bowies" and I want it to say "Ranvall made" on the blade.

threegun
June 1, 2008, 05:44 PM
I have taught myself how to fight with a knife........with the help of a few experts at the discipline that is. I even went so far as to slash and stab hanging beef and pork slabs. A knife, while not better than a gun (usually), is a great tool for defense against unarmed foe's.

One thing I want to stress to you guys is a knife is messy. My technique calls for me to slash any available areas and stab only when the risk of losing the knife is low (a defensive technique). Thats not going to look real good for me in court when I have to explain the 10 deep slashes on the now '"good boy" BG. Please don't forget the aftermath.

LanceOregon
June 1, 2008, 06:21 PM
The problem with doing this, in my opinion, is that a knife is yet a second lethal weapon. I would much rather that my other weapon be non-lethal, like pepper spray or a taser.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/taser_kahr_on.jpg

threegun
June 1, 2008, 06:47 PM
Tasers and pepper have killed and the knife can be used without killing. Remember most pepper and electrical units are called "less than lethal" as apposed to "non lethal" nowadays. With the knife slashes to tendons can disable arms and legs with only the risk of death coming from blood loss if help is not given.

I would agree though that a taser or pepper would be a better option prior to deploying the knife if time, space, and circumstances allowed it. For me the knife is my last resort period.

Erik
June 1, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'm glad its your last resort, because the whole "I used it as a less than lethal by benevolently cutting up my assailant" defense likely isn't going to count for much with the police, the prosecutor, the jury, or the judge.

threegun
June 2, 2008, 07:40 AM
I just wanted to point out that a knife can be used without killing.

My earlier point was that using a knife, especially like I have been trained to use it, will be extremely gruesome & bloody and possibly cause trouble in court defending its usage.

pax
June 2, 2008, 09:47 AM
I just wanted to point out that a knife can be used without killing.

So can a firearm, but that does not make it a non-lethal tool.

The law (in Washington state, and nearly all other states have very similar language in the statutes) defines deadly force as "the intentional application of force through the use of firearms or any other means reasonably likely to cause death or serious physical injury."

Using a knife on someone is reasonably likely to cause serious physical injury even if it does not cause death. That means that, under the law, if you use a knife on someone you had darn well better be justified in using lethal force.

pax

threegun
June 2, 2008, 11:20 AM
Definitely a "lethal weapon" then. I wasn't thinking in a legal definition since I wouldn't deploy my knife unless my guns have failed......that means I'm probably dead anyway and lethal force requirements were met already.

I was thinking of how many areas can be cut causing incapacitation of limbs without causing immediate death. I shouldn't have mixed the knife in with other "less than lethal" options. You are correct and thank you for the correction.

tuckerdog1
June 2, 2008, 03:03 PM
I carry a Buck. Not sure what the model is. I just looked for a long time to find something that fit my grip well, and felt like it would not twist or turn, should it get wet. It also had to have a blade that locked solid and was mighty sharp.

I change up when we walk the dogs. We've been "confronted" several times, and actually attacked once by other dogs. They are amazingly stout creatures. Slashing & stabbing a dog could prove difficult. And even a serious wound may not make them break off the attack. So I started carrying a Ka-Bar marlin spike folder. I can do some serious deep stabbing with that spike ( possibly into the skull ). And should my hand slip & slide down the knike, I won't be slicing up my own hand.

Tuckerdog1

Erik
June 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
You might want to consider an impact weapon for the mutts. The don't like to be wacked much.

.300H&H
June 4, 2008, 11:05 PM
Maybe a little unorthodox...but I like my $60 Boker joint/penknife - a 4 blade 'congress model'.:D Here's my thinking: 1) it's nice looking and is fun to show off as a gentleman's pocketknife...and has 4 nice carbon blades. 2)it'll cut well
and the 1st wk. I had it I almost had to get stitches for my index finger:eek:
3)if in a real rare sort of emergency where I needed a blade it would work...
if I did my part. 4) if it showed up in a court of law as something belonging to me...there's not likely a judge or jury that would find it to be a menacing weapon...but just a gentleman's pocketknofe - not even a lockblade.
Also, things get a bit scary when one looks at the various state laws concerning 'knives' ie. in my state it's okay to carry a lock blade, but the state next door is a bit more restrictive and persnickety...

kungfucowboy
June 5, 2008, 01:38 AM
You might want to consider an impact weapon for the mutts. The don't like to be wacked much.

depends on the type of dog. when our mastiffs got into a fight (wich was very rare) we hit them with 2x4's so hard they broke then switched to throwing cinder blocks that were handy again nothing. Finally found out that dumping a 5 gallon bucket of water over them ended it every time. weird but true.

tuckerdog1
June 5, 2008, 09:04 AM
kungfucowboy,

I can appreciate how tough your dogs are. Had a neighbor's Doberman get hold of our Golden's neck, some years back. Mostly got hold of hide hide, and not meat, so "serious" damage was not happening. But the Dobie was doing that twisting & pulling that they do, and it was causing dog a lot of pain. Now didn't want to just up and kill the Dobie ( neighbor's dog ). Started with light blows with a 2X4. Nothing. Progressed to serious blows, and still would not let go. Tried water ( hose ), and still nothing. What finally did the job, was prying the jaw apart with a good sized screwdriver ( broke a couple teeth ). Amazing how tough they are.

Tuckerdog1

Erik
June 5, 2008, 09:06 AM
"Depends on the type of dog."
Very true. Great stories about how tough some dogs can be. And those are dogs you care for. Talk about needing to dish out tough love.

The Great Mahoo
June 10, 2008, 01:20 PM
I always carry a knife with me; unless of course I am going somewhere it would be confinscated (courthouse, etc.). I learned a long time ago that they are just too useful to leave at home.

I carried a Spyderco Jess Horn Edition folding knife for a long time, but I broke the tip off and weakened the lock on it after so long. I switched to a Columbian River fixed Falcon, but reverted back to a folder after a few months. Now adays I carry a CR Mt. Rainier lockback, with an lock-block to keep stress off of the lock and keep it from accidentally closing.

MrClean
June 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
I have a couple I alternate out.
My old Benchmade AFCK, has seen MUCH use and shows it but is still 100% functionial! And my other is an Emerson Commander, little bit beefier but just as good.

Am actually about to order one of the new Kabar TDI knifes for duty carry. Says it will fit nicely behind belt... so I know it's there but that's it. I kinda like that idea. However, I think I will probably always carry a full size knife.

Oh yea..... have a SpyderCo Civilian. Wicked little contraption.... keeping it more for collection than anything. Sure is mean though. I should probably carry IT. For protection, great.... but for other uses... nah.

Th0r
June 10, 2008, 04:24 PM
I do occasionally carry a knife when I go out, especially to places where there is a high risk factor and where gangs hang around...

But it's not really a back up weapon. Since in the United Kingdom we cannot carry firearms to protect ourselves...

Also there is no point in carrying a knife, if like 95% of people, you have no idea how to use a knife. Statistics in the United Kingdom suggest that a very high proportion of those killed in incidents involving knives are actually the owners of the knives used to kill them...

They pull the knives and their assailant stabs them with it, mainly because they can't hold it correctly.

SUPERMAN .45
June 13, 2008, 03:33 AM
My EDC knife on my right pocket an EMERSON CQC-13, on my left pocket CRKT M21-14SF & on my left back pocket an EMERSON Kombat Karambit. I also carry a Cold Steel neck knife.