PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone offer in-home set up of gun safes?

benign.neglect
May 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
Do any sellers offer in-home set up of gun safes? It looks like most companies offer "curbside" delivery, but I am looking for a company that will bring it in the house and put it where i want it. Does anyone do this?

sholling
May 28, 2008, 09:53 AM
Costco does on some of their larger safes. It looks like the cutoff is roughly 500lbs and up.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11097077&search=safe&Mo=14&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=safe&Ntt=safe&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11247315&search=safe&Mo=14&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=safe&Ntt=safe&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280652&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280651&search=safe&Mo=14&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=safe&Ntt=safe&No=12&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

primlantah
May 28, 2008, 11:28 AM
do people really feel comfortable with some random guys installing your safe? I mean they know where it is, what kind of safe it is, how its secured, whats likely to be inside, and probably how to open it. a few bucks to rent a trailer and a hundred bucks for a hammer drill is money well spent when your already spending thousands on a safe.

Walter
May 28, 2008, 09:26 PM
do people really feel comfortable with some random guys installing your safe? I mean they know where it is, what kind of safe it is, how its secured, whats likely to be inside, and probably how to open it. a few bucks to rent a trailer and a hundred bucks for a hammer drill is money well spent when your already spending thousands on a safe.

I TOTALLY agree with you, primlantah, in principle. But moving a 500 to
800 pound safe from the curb, up the driveway, through the front door
and into my back bedroom just ain't something I can do by myself. So
somebody is going to know where that safe sits. They may not know
how it's bolted down, or the combination, or what alarms I have in the house,
but somebody is going to have to help me move it, so somebody is going to
have knowledge of it.

I hate that, but I just don't know any way around it. Dammit!

Walter

sholling
May 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'm with Walter. My next safe will be delivered and setup where it's going to live.

bobn
May 28, 2008, 10:43 PM
hm, my blood sugar is just right so bare with me....lol....all the guys who complain about local gunshop pricing have caused this delimma. all of the places i frequent will deliver and place for free. none of them have mart attached to thier name, bobn

hoytinak
May 28, 2008, 10:46 PM
Just about any good moving company should be able to help you move it....find a piano mover.

Medicineman
May 29, 2008, 02:37 AM
Find a local local locksmith who deals in safes. They have the specialized equipment for transporting them and moving them through your house. And they will be trustyer than the guys the moving company picked up in the home depot parking lot that morning.

When I bought my new cannon safe I asked the gunshop selling it if they reccommended anybody. The guy that they did picked it up on a specialized trailer and delivered it into the office in the far back room of my house for a 100. He ended up the designated warranty repairman for cannons lifetime warranty so it was good to make his aquaintance. 100 was not bad considering it was a 600 lb safe delivered accross town, up the front steps, and snaked down the hallway with out a scratch on the safe or my house.

IZinterrogator
May 29, 2008, 05:38 AM
One of my troops paid extra to have his 900 lb. safe delivered into the house. The moving company that the dealer hired to move it dropped it in the garage with the door facing the outside and not enough clearance to fully open the door without opening the garage. :eek: They said it was "in the house" and left. Complaints to the moving company were ignored because they said they fulfilled the request for it to be "inside the house". Be sure to get the location you want it inside the house specified in the contract, otherwise you're at the mercy of the lazy jerks who do the delivery. :mad:

Hedley
May 29, 2008, 08:03 AM
My safe has followed me through two college apartment moves(both two stories), and when I started framing my house last week, I took advantage. It's sooo much easier to move a safe without interior walls. Only problem is that it won't fit through the door if I ever want to get rid of it.

WINSTON THE WOLF
May 29, 2008, 09:07 AM
hm, my blood sugar is just right so bare with me....lol....all the guys who complain about local gunshop pricing have caused this delimma. all of the places i frequent will deliver and place for free. none of them have mart attached to thier name, bobn

+1 That was funny right there.

But the obvious question is .....You have a four grand in guns. are you really going to put them in a 500.00 dollar safe:eek:

Do any sellers offer in-home set up of gun safes? It looks like most companies offer "curbside" delivery, but I am looking for a company that will bring it in the house and put it where i want it. Does anyone do this?

other safe companies can move it, for 250. to 350. you can also rent a refigerator dolly from U haul if it is under 800 lbs

WINSTON THE WOLF
May 29, 2008, 09:16 AM
sholling , All those safes from Costco are from China. Liberty safe makes them in China. I have been told by many that this is one of them. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPUrqStiSTQ

IGO1320
May 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
I just bought a safe yesterday from my local gun shop....I priced them at costco ect. but found the specs from my gunshop to be better, yes the price is higher but he is taking care of the installation with his own employee's that do this as a sideline. The up side is I know who will do the work ahead of time and I know their reputation, IMHO it is worth a couple of hundred dollars more than costco or a mart for the piece of mind. I will post again tomorrow after the installation is complete.

a1abdj
May 29, 2008, 10:35 AM
The problem having a gun shop do anything related to your safe is that they don't know anything about safes. Heck, most of them don't even know much about guns, and that's the business they are in. We have "cleaned up" after a few gun shops locally who used to do their own deliveries (until a lawsuit or two). The upside, is that they are usually willing to do it for less than market rate, and their employees are generally honest.

The problem having a moving company move your safe is that they know nothing about safes, tend to use muscle more than brain, and often have felons working for them.

If I needed a car painted, I'd call a car painter, not a house painter, even though a house painter would probably paint it for less.

A safe company who deals with all types of safes as their line of business, will have the equipment, experience, and usually background checked employees deliver your safe. They usually won't break anything, and can go over the operation and maintenance of your safe while they are there.

IGO1320
May 29, 2008, 11:02 AM
This shop deals in safes and they have one gentleman who deals in moving them that also works evening's for them. They have a larger safe selection than anyone else I could find in the Orlando area, they appear to know the ins and outs....then there is that "I have delt with them" syndrom on many deals and they have always done as they say, which makes me happy. I am not suggesting that you go to your local pawn/gun shop and have them order a safe for you then have "bubba" instal it after he rents dolly. Like with any other high dollar purchase you have to exercise some common sense. Kinda like saying "a gun is a gun".

Stiofan
May 29, 2008, 01:13 PM
sholling , All those safes from Costco are from China. Liberty safe makes them in China. I have been told by many that this is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPUrqStiSTQ

Wrongo according to their website.

Liberty makes all the safes under the Liberty brand at their Utah manufacturing plant which employs over 400.

http://www.libertysafe.com/whyliberty.lasso

What this has to do with moving a safe is beyond me though. It's OT.

hkg3
May 29, 2008, 10:46 PM
My buddy bought a safe from Liberty, and they installed it in his house.

http://www.libertysafe.com/

WINSTON THE WOLF
May 30, 2008, 12:04 AM

Liberty makes all the safes under the Liberty brand at their Utah manufacturing plant which employs over 400.

http://www.libertysafe.com/whyliberty.lasso

Oh and they wouldn't lie about getting cheap safes to compete with all the other cheap brands..............:rolleyes:

Even American Security has a cheap safe. It is called the LP line. and guess what , They even said it came from China....................:eek:

a1abdj
May 30, 2008, 11:08 AM

If you're looking at a gun safe that cost less than $1,000, chances are it was not built in the US.

Many of the brand name gun safe companies sell imported safes with their names attached. Most of them come from China, but a few come from Korea or Mexico.

M1911
May 30, 2008, 11:42 AM
I've purchased two safes from a local security company. I ordered them over the phone. They delivered and installed the safes in my basement.

I've been reliably informed that dropping a 1000 lb safe down your basement stairs can ruin your whole day. I'll let the pros do it, thank you very much. They have the equipment, knowledge, and experience to do it safely. They also have workers compensation insurance.

Stiofan
May 30, 2008, 11:43 AM
Their Liberty line (which is the one referenced at the Costco Link) is built in Utah.

I've shown you their website where it is, Winston you've been not much more than a troll around here with your You Tube links. I'm done feeding you. Have a nice day.

Mike40-11
May 30, 2008, 07:56 PM
I've got a large Liberty I got at Gander Mt, about 1100 pounds. The store here offers delivery, but not on the safes over 6 or 8 hundred pounds....:confused: If it was that 'light' I could move it myself. They recommended a local mover and I had them do it. 200 bucks to move it 30 miles and put it in the basement. Worth it to me, even though my basement is a walk-out. How in the heck was I going to roll it over the slider door track? Besides, my trucks only a half-ton.

WINSTON THE WOLF
May 30, 2008, 09:38 PM
Their Liberty line (which is the one referenced at the Costco Link) is built in Utah.

I've shown you their website where it is, Winston you've been not much more than a troll around here with your You Tube links. I'm done feeding you. Have a nice day.

Snif.......my feeling are hurt............Have fun with your Utah made safe.:rolleyes: Didn't you see thew fortune cookie that was left inside of it....lol

If you still want to be informed. Call a few major safe companys in your area. See what they say............Oh and if you still don't believe me. Why would liberty undercut there own top of the line safes, by selling them to cost co............so they can sell them cheap. It doesn't make sence, well maybe except to you..........:eek:

light safe+ cheap price= China