PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Federal 147 HST vs Corbon DPX 115 +p

checkmate
May 26, 2008, 05:50 PM
I did some research and then chose Federal 147gr HST for my 9mm carry ammo (Glock 19). Quite a few people on this sight lean towards Corbon DPX 115gr +p
To each his own however, I'm curious heads up and all things being equal what in your opinion are the advantages of the Corbon vs HST?

Shadi Khalil
May 26, 2008, 06:04 PM
I like the lighter bullets myself....I yet to try the DPX but I hear great things..

USCG_guy
May 26, 2008, 06:05 PM
I don't know but if you are looking for some 9mm ammo for personal defense then I would suggest the Hornady TAP Ammo in 147 Grain.

DieHard06
May 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
The Corbon 115's are lighter and have a lot more velocity thus dumping more energy on impact. Heavier bullets definitely penetrate deeper though. I carry high velocity Corbon 115 grain +P only because they didn't have DPX at the store when I went, and what I got was cheaper anyway. What I carry travels at 1350 FPS. For me velocity is most important.

checkmate
May 26, 2008, 08:32 PM
DieHard06, Thanks for replying.
I understand energy but that can be very misleading. Isn't momentum (measured in pounds feet per second or lb-f/s) a much better form of measurement?

mavracer
May 26, 2008, 09:04 PM
both of those loads are very good I would use either,it would be more important to me if they function and shoot POA.I use 124+p golddots in most of my guns but got one that shoots 147s POA guess whats in it:).

DieHard06
May 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
Sorry. You're right. I said that because to me higher velocity translates into higher energy. The ammo I was talking about comes in at 466 FTLBS.

jabineer
May 26, 2008, 09:27 PM
These are the primary loads I keep shifting from foot to foot on for no particular reason really. The fact is both meet the requirements for penetration, expansion, and reliability to do such thereof consistently under all potential conditions.

So which should be bet on, the tortoise or the hare? The real advantage one over the other is dictated by my shooting idiosyncracies and capabilities. The jury is still in deliberation but, as of this time, I do not fret over which one is in the chamber. I feel fortunate to have the capacity to call up either one of them to active duty for me.

sholling
May 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
I've never tried the DPX. I'm sure they're great but I'm a penetration junkie and went for the 147gr HST.

dawgfvr
May 27, 2008, 09:54 AM
115 grain Corbon DPX + P.

9mm is a high pressure round...give me accurate,fast, smaller, all copper that consistently expands with exceptional penetration and feeds reliably every time. Save the heavy/slow theory for the 1911.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%209mm%20115.htm

dirksterg30
May 27, 2008, 11:05 AM
Save the heavy/slow theory for the 1911.

The slow & heavy theory works pretty well for the 9mm:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/ballistics/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Rampant_Colt
May 27, 2008, 12:18 PM
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3292/gblocksqf7.jpg

Starting with the top left image:

Remington .357 Magnum 125gr
Corbon .357 Sig 115gr JHP
Winchester .357 Sig 125gr Ranger T
Unknown 9mm 115gr FMJ
Federal .40 S&W 155gr Hydra-Shok
CCI/Speer .40 S&W 165gr Gold Dot
CCI/Speer 9mm 124gr Gold Dot

The DPX 9mm 115gr has the length of 124gr bullets, and penetrates more like a 124gr bullet.

Both cartridges [115gr DPX and 147gr HST] have lousy feed profiles and NEED to be checked for function, accuracy, POI and reliability. What good to you is your wing-ding premium JHP ammo jammed-up on your feedramp? This is most important of all.

I personally prefer 147gr or 127gr +P+ Winchester Ranger T in 9mm. Remington's 147gr Golden Saber and Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot are most excellent choices for OTC ammo, and have very good feed profiles

dawgfvr
May 27, 2008, 05:42 PM
Both cartridges [115gr DPX and 147gr HST] have lousy feed profiles

while I might believe that out of the 147 gr HST, please show me some document...evidence...post that backs your statement up regarding the 115 gr DPX please.

Everything I've read (and have experienced first hand) says it has a fabulous "feed profile".

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%209mm%20115.htm

Boncrayon
May 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
They are all good because of their energy. Any intruder should stand down and not proceed with any of these, when the cylinder and the clip is full of seconds and thirds. I chose Hornady Tap 147gr. for my defense.

Rampant_Colt
May 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
while I might believe that out of the 147 gr HST, please show me some document...evidence...post that backs your statement up regarding the 115 gr DPX please.

Everything I've read (and have experienced first hand) says it has a fabulous "feed profile"
Everything you've read?
In my personal experience with DPX ammunition i've incurred FTF jams in 9mm and .45 ACP. I no longer use it in my handguns because of this.

I'm currently experimenting with Federal 230gr +P .45 ACP HST in my .45s - i've incurred feed problems using DPX and HST in my Colt 1911. We'll see how it performs from my XD-45 and G21. The jury's still out ..

Golden Saber, Ranger T, and XTPs have excellent feed profiles.

proof? Ok..
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/976/saberhstrr2.jpg
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8885/saberhst1vd5.jpg
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/7387/saberhst2pg9.jpg

checkmate
May 27, 2008, 08:13 PM
Rampant Colt: I'm curious which 9mm handgun you had the problem with? Have you had any issues with the HST?

Aqeous
May 27, 2008, 08:49 PM
DPX
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%209mm%20115_files/image004.jpg

The DPX looks like a great bullet, but for no real scientific reason I
prefer the HST. It looks like the HST pedals might be less likely
to fold back on itself after hitting something hard like bone. JHP's
pretty much have problems like this anyway, but to me those pure
copper pedals just look more "flimsy".

I HAVE however come across one or two instances that
seemed to suggest Corbon has some quality control issues. It
kind of sucks when you have to pry your bullets out of your wheelgun
with a dowel rod if you catch my drift. :rolleyes: Haven't heard
anything negative about the HST as of yet however . . .

My .02

Ultima-Ratio
May 27, 2008, 10:24 PM
Ya gotta love a sense of humor!;)

michael t
May 27, 2008, 11:14 PM
I use DPX in 8 Colts 1 Kimber and a DW have yet to have first problem Is also loaded in 5 different 380's no problem Guess Iam just lucky

here is the 9mm

Much has been said about the damaging effects of a hollowpoint bullet versus standard FMJ - that which is available wherever 'practice ammunition' is sold. This test was conducted using the same gun for both bullets, both of which were the same weight and impacted at similar velocities. What was different was the design of the nose of the bullet.

Cartridge : 115gr Cor-Bon DPX and Winchester 115gr FMJ

Firearm : 4.0" barrel, recoil-operated semiautomatic

Block calibration : 10.4cm @ 573 ft/sec

Shot 1 - Cor-Bon 115gr DPX. Impacted at 1153 ft/sec. Penetrated to 14.5" (corrected) and expanded to 0.538" average diameter.

Shot 2 - Winchester 'White Box' 115gr FMJ. Impacted at 1172 ft/sec. Penetrated nose-forward to 5.9", at which point the bullet tumbled. This yawing continued on until 13.6", where the bullet apparently righted itself and turned nose forward for the remainder of the travel through the gelatin block (16.0" total travel distance through gelatin). Bullet was recovered undeformed at 0.354" diameter

thanks Thanks http://www.brassfetcher.com/

Rampant_Colt
May 28, 2008, 10:41 AM
I'm curious which 9mm handgun you had the problem with? Have you had any issues with the HST?
Kel-Tec p-11
FEG Hi-Power clone

ALWAYS check ammunition for proper reliability, accuracy, and POI from your handguns! You never know when a FTF will rear its ugly head

dawgfvr
May 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
In my personal experience with DPX ammunition i've incurred FTF jams in 9mm and .45 ACP. I no longer use it in my handguns because of this.

Rampant Colt: That's it? That is your documentation...your personal experience was the only thing you have to contribute to your "lousy feed profiles" pronouncement? Here I thought you might actually have some real data to back up your statement. I can easily counter and state that I have never had problems with DPX in any of my weapons....380, 9mm, 38 Special, .357 mag, .45 ACP nor have I read any on-line testers having problems. Except for your "personal/weapon problem, I have not noted anybody else having problems with DPX. I conclude that it is you and/or your weapon rather than DPX that is the malfunction you refer to. Nevermind...disregard...exit, stage left.

Rampant_Colt
May 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
That's it? That is your documentation...your personal experience was the only thing you have to contribute to your "lousy feed profiles" pronouncement? Here I thought you might actually have some real data to back up your statement. I can easily counter and state that I have never had problems with DPX in any of my weapons....380, 9mm, 38 Special, .357 mag, .45 ACP nor have I read any on-line testers having problems. Except for your "personal/weapon problem, I have not noted anybody else having problems with DPX. I conclude that it is you and/or your weapon rather than DPX that is the malfunction you refer to. Nevermind...disregard...exit, stage left.
Look at the photos i took the time to shoot and post for all to see. What more hard evidence do you want? ***?
I've incurred FTF malfunctions in 9mm and .45 using DPX and HST ammunition. They feature a large hollowpoint opening that may not feed in all pistols. I'm suggesting that people make sure it functions in their handguns before trusting their lives to it. What have you contributed here? Because your firearms function using that ammo doesn't necessarily mean it will work in everybody's guns.. That's quite naive

ALWAYS check ammunition for proper reliability, accuracy, and POI from your handguns! You never know when a FTF will rear its ugly head

hayek
May 28, 2008, 02:41 PM
I have personally shot Corbon ammo in my .45 and I can tell you my .45 likes it a lot and so do I.

Rampant_Colt
May 28, 2008, 03:10 PM
I have personally shot Corbon ammo in my .45 and I can tell you my .45 likes it a lot and so do I.
What p*sses me off the most is that my Colt 1911 functioned just fine using Corbon 230gr JHP [which also has a lousy feed profile], but not with HST and DPX.. You just never know

checkmate
May 28, 2008, 03:20 PM
I guess that's why I'm partial to Glocks, they aren't finicky at all.

ssgtwaldo
May 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
I have fired .45 HST through my Ultra Compact and love them and have fired some into water and the old wet news paper. I will try to post some pictures. The same holds true for the DPX and my G-19. It loves them and I do too however, I carry the Federal 115gr Hi-Shok HP +P+. Stock #9BPLE. It is HOT but very controllable The Hi-Shok is awesome and is used by the government. Thats where this lot came from. It's a "white box" overrun.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

HK123
May 29, 2008, 04:07 PM
Normally I find that when a particular bullet doesn't feed in a gun, it's the gun not liking the bullet.

It happens and does not mean the ammo is just bad.

For what it's worth, I am testing 147gr HST and 115gr DPX through my HK P30 tomorrow as well as 230gr HST and 185gr DPX through my HK45. From there I will decide which to use. At first glance I like the DPX better because of the solid copper bullet. However, it is slightly taller so feeding may be a slight issue in some firearms. I will post here and let everyone know my thoughts. No pictures though, but I will try my best to describe the differences I found from firing each.

As always, check function with a box of what you wish to carry before you actually carry.

checkmate
May 29, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'll look forward to your post!

bikerbill
May 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
I had nothing but trouble getting the Corbons to feed in my 1911, so I'm a bit sour on them at the moment ... I carry Federal 135gr Hydrashocks in my PM9 and have been very happy with the accuracy and felt recoil ...

HK123
May 30, 2008, 05:23 PM
That's a 1911 for you ;)

Well, fired off 2 boxes of 147gr HST and had 1 failure to feed. Bullet looked like the below picture. 2 boxes of Corbon DPX 115gr +p functioned fine with no issues to report. The Corbon was actually easier in the recoil department. There was much less muzzle flip and more of a push in my P30. The DPX also seemed more consistant shot to shot from my gun. This could be due to the nature of my particular weapon. Anyhow, I like the DPX better and will be sticking with it from now on.

I also tried the HST 230gr +p and standard in my Hk45 against the DPX 185gr +p. No failures of ANY type here. Everything functioned flawlessly. The real shocker was that I was more accurate with both of the +p loadings than the standard pressure HST. For whatever reason the recoil didn't affect my accuracy on target nor my ability to get a quick double tap in. I prefer the 185gr +p DPX to the HST 230gr +p as the recoil is less harsh. Sorry I don't have any pictures of my targets, I trashed them at the range.

BTW: I loaded the same bullet into the chamber and ejected it 10 times with each ammo type and none of the tested rounds suffered ANY bullet setback when measured with a micrometer.

147gr Federal HST failure to feed
http://xs127.xs.to/xs127/08226/dsc_0001869.jpg

Boris Bush
May 30, 2008, 05:28 PM
That was not a failure to feed problem. Do you inspect your ammo before you load the mags? I watched a friend try and stuff a round that looked just like that into a mag............. I have myself run into a few rounds like that and I simply discard them.

You are the final quality inspector. Don't even put rounds like that in the magazine next time..........

HK123
May 30, 2008, 05:36 PM
It wasn't like that until the slide jammed into it and tried to force it into the chamber. It was not a problem from the box that you could have seen.

Anyhow, the Corbon had no such issues so it will be my choice.

Gatorhugger
June 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
Give me the 147 grainers. They go through everything, expand. What more could you want.

roadrash
June 13, 2008, 03:17 AM
The 147 gr. HST have been ultra reliable in my glock 17 ,26 and Sig P239 9mm .Each pistol has at least 100 rds of this ammo through them,I have yet to have a single hiccup with this ammo.But then again I have never had a problem with these pistols with any ammo!