PDA

View Full Version : And only one Assault rifle, what would it be?

Firepower!
May 25, 2008, 01:22 PM
:D
Well since there is only one hunting rifle thread going, I coud not resist and ask what would the only one assualt rifle that you would own, if you could own just one?

I personally refuse to accept such reality, but it does make us think which gun we like the best.

So, I am torn between Ak47 Kalashnikov and AKSU 74 Krinkov! One thing for sure it will be ak platform since I think they are most reliable.

Let me think some more and I will be back with my answer. Meanwhile I cant wait to see what folks write about their favorite assualt rifle.

chris in va
May 25, 2008, 01:28 PM
I can't afford an assault rifle. They run about $15,000.

But I like my Saiga conversion.

MTMilitiaman
May 25, 2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe my opinion will change when and if I am ever able to afford the DS Arms Para FAL of my dreams, but until such a point, once again, if I could only have one gun, one rifle, for anything and everything, it would be my M1A. It has sufficient accuracy, power, capacity, and fire rate to reasonably handle any task a man can ask of a rifle, except perhaps, dangerous game. I can hunt with it, shoot competition with it, have a lot of fun with it, never forgetting of course, that it is first and foremost a weapon of war, of the same pedigree as "the greatest battle implement ever devised," and fully capable of holding down the fort against whatever this planet, humanity, or hell itself can throw at it. So here, Africa, mars against zombies, aliens, alien zombies, or the worse elements of mankind, whatever, I choose my M1A.

tulsamal
May 25, 2008, 01:37 PM
If you want a rifle for urban combat, AK. (Reliability)

If you want to be able to also use it for varmint hunting at distance, an AR. (Precision & Versatility)

If you like having the power of 7.62 NATO, the FAL. (Power)

That's the simplest explanation.

Gregg

VonFireball
May 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe my opinion will change when and if I am ever able to afford the DS Arms Para FAL of my dreams, but until such a point, once again, if I could only have one gun, one rifle, for anything and everything, it would be my M1A.

Dude, you always like the same stuff as me.

I think you've a most excellent taste in firearms.

I don't know if anyone has seen the latest shotgun news, but CDNN (I think is the company) has a special on PTR-91's for 899.99. It comes with black furniture, new polymer trigger group, and best of all, a match grade barrel from thompson center.

I've been scheming and conniving as to how to get one of those right quick.

But, alas, I got to finish putting together the FN-49 I got for 300 bucks the other day. Needs only a stock and a firing pin and I got me a great battle rifle.:D

sholling
May 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
I went for a civilian battle rifle look alike instead. The M1A Squad Scout for the perfect balance between reliability, handiness, hitting power and range.

P99AS9
May 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
AK for urban situation (reliabiltiy)

H&K G3/91 for everything else

RedneckFur
May 25, 2008, 02:29 PM
AK-47. is there another option?:D

TPAW
May 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
If you want a rifle for urban combat, AK.

I agree.

billindenver
May 25, 2008, 03:02 PM
Saiga....

KDM
May 25, 2008, 04:06 PM
10mm MP-5...short range.

AK clone...mid range.

M1A scout...anything over 100 yards.

Awww, geez. Just gimme the M1A.:D

223nut
May 25, 2008, 06:08 PM
AK47

AutoPistola
May 25, 2008, 06:23 PM
It's impossible to decide:cool: Although I could never afford to buy or feed an assault rifle, I would like many black rifle semi auto clones. Right now I'm partial to the Kalashnikov. I have an AK, SKS, and want several Saigas.

I'm going to shoot my friends new mini-14 soon and see if I like .223 rounds (I've never shot them before). I need to try an AR too...

Hedshot
May 25, 2008, 06:59 PM
does my mini 14 count?

.351winchester
May 25, 2008, 07:07 PM
Assault rifle/battle carbine- Steyr AUG 20" green, integral optics, semi-only

Forwardassist
May 25, 2008, 07:20 PM
For a civilian rifle I would buy a AR-15. The reason it is a modular system and its more than reliable for my needs.
For a real military rifle the Sig 550 or a FNC.

Lavid2002
May 25, 2008, 07:22 PM
RRA mid-length ar15 A4 :P my one and only
*taps chest and gives peace sign* :P

jdc1244
May 25, 2008, 07:25 PM
My AK 47 – the ‘hurricane gun.’ ;)

JKHolman
May 25, 2008, 07:37 PM
Daewoo

SPUSCG
May 25, 2008, 07:38 PM
m240.......does that count?

shinnery jim
May 25, 2008, 07:59 PM
my AR

rugerfreak
May 25, 2008, 08:49 PM
In this country--the AR---simply because you can't reload empty steel AK cases----supplies would be short if SHTF were to happen.

Anywhere else--AK as long as you had a good supply chain.

Chui
May 25, 2008, 10:58 PM
Nikonov AN-94

:cool:

hoytinak
May 25, 2008, 11:25 PM
I only have one assualt rifle (M16). I do have a couple of semi-auto AR's and AK's though. :D

p99guy
May 26, 2008, 12:10 AM
Guys while I own 7.62x51 Military rifles and like them well...the question was about "assault rifles" which by definition is an intermediate caliber(and select fire). That leaves you for the most part with the choice of guns in 7.62x39, 5.56x45 NATO, 5.45x39...and some of the newcomers like 6.8SPC

In other words
If the question is about Toyoda Corollas, lets not enter our favorite monster Truck in the answer.

Mine would be the AR15/M16 series, due to parts availibility...and the ability to switch out upper halves to perform different tasks(including caliber changes)

MTMilitiaman
May 26, 2008, 12:49 AM
Yes, 7.62 NATO battle rifles don't fit the literal definition of an assault rifle, but then, if you want to argue semantics, none of the semi-automatic civilian legal clones count either. That makes this argument pretty stupid as the chances of most of us affording an actual assault rifle are slim to none. Even then, I found myself utterly unimpressed with automatic fire, and would take my M1A over just about any assault rifle on the market.

But fine. If you want me to pick an assault rifle, I'll pack a suppressed Krink with a Kobra and about four 30 round mags as backup to my M1A :D

p99guy
May 26, 2008, 01:59 AM
There is no argument, just a specific question.

I found it quite easy to stay withen its context. If the civy clones of the same weapons are even considered, they are still the same intemediate calibers,
and will posess the same ergomomics (or lack of) as their title II brethern in all but one feature. And are of the same uses otherwise.

I love my Heavy Shilen Barreled .300 Weatherby Magnum for example, but It dont apply here either.
<wipe a tear>

wjkuleck
May 29, 2008, 07:54 AM
Can we allow a distinction between a battle rifle cartridge and that of an assault rifle? While 99 44/100% of civilians will never have the opportunity to possess a true Sturmgehwer, that is, a select-fire intermediate-cartridge "carbine," we can possess some sort of semiauto rifle that chambers an intermediate cartridge.

The original intermediate to be adopted by a major power was the 7.92x33mm in the StG44, followed by the 7.62x49mm of the SKS (not a true assault rifle, but a tryout for the cartridge) and AK-47. The 5.56x45mm followed, with the Russians aping it with the 5.45x39mm. With the exception of some recent, unadopted rounds (e.g., 6x47mm SAW, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, etc., plus the new Chinese round), that's about it.

The rifles chambering 7.62x51mm (7.62 NATO) are more appropriately termed "battle rifles," as the 7.62x51mm was intended to provide the performance of the .30-'06 (7.62x66mm) in a shorter case. Thus, the M14/M1A, FAL, HK91, don't really fall into the "assault rifle" (in quotes, 'cause we're talking semiauto here) category.

If we consider the intermediate cartridges, we have the AK family, the AR-15 family, plus some rifles that fell by the wayside (e.g., Beretta AR-70, FN FNC) and some new contenders (SIG-556 being the newest).

For me, while I have a safe full of AK variants, I'll have to go with the AR-15, because of ammo availability and versatility with the modular concept: one lower, several (many?) uppers, changeable faster than you can change your trousers. I will say that for rugged simplicity the Valmet (in .223) does have its appeal.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/Xmas2003_50.jpg

If we are talking battle rifles, I'll take the M14. It's got the sights and the trigger its contemporaries lack. Come to thing of it, sights & trigger are the big drawbacks of the AK family.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/TRW-03-1000.jpg

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Regards,

Walt

Magnum Wheel Man
May 29, 2008, 09:30 AM
I guess I don't have any interest in anything "select fire"... well maybe if I won the lottery... until then, I have better things to spend that money on...

in fact, I don't even like the word "assult"... but I do have a sporterized SKS, a few Czech "old army" rifles, as well as a few American "old army" rifles...

if I had to choose one of all of those, it would be either one of these two...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29215&d=1199281077

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29089&d=1198687462

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 29, 2008, 11:54 AM
If I could have one and only one assault rifle... it'd be the AK 47.

It's ruggedness, simplicity, and overall reliability keeps me on track with this gun.

SR420
May 29, 2008, 12:37 PM
p99guy Guys while I own 7.62x51 Military rifles and like them well...the question was about "assault rifles" which by definition is an intermediate caliber(and select fire).

7.62 x 39 AK in the assault rifle role and the 7.62 NATO in the battle rifle role.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/1K-T56SHTF-MK14SEIMod1.jpg

milemission
May 29, 2008, 01:08 PM
If only one, I guess I'd go for an AR in 6.8 SPC.

wjkuleck
May 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
If only one, I guess I'd go for an AR in 6.8 SPC.

Now, there's a cartridge you can buy at any Wally World :D.

Regards,

Walt

wjkuleck
May 29, 2008, 02:56 PM
If we're doing show 'n tell, here's the one I'd grab first:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M601-01-1000_50.jpg

Regards,

Walt

bigbadbowtie
May 29, 2008, 03:24 PM
RPK....

Tatsumi67
May 29, 2008, 04:12 PM
AK 105 or AK 104, proven design, no warping synthetic components.

Ignition Override
May 29, 2008, 11:12 PM
In a defensive situation, my SKS.

rdoggsilva
May 30, 2008, 04:34 PM
A Thompson 45 Sub Machine Gun. If it was good enough for Al, it is good enough for me.

mellow_c
May 30, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'd have to say a nice Scout Squad M1A. But If I'm running around with a group of guys in some sort of battle, I'd like it if we didnt all have the same rifle. Maybe a few M1A's, a couple of shorter AK-47's and a shotgun for clearing houses.

But now that I think about it. There's always the SOCOM 16. Thats a short M1A. And it's gota be a good shot for long distance as well. Maybe one of those, with an Aimpoint on it, and you'd be set.

Yeah, that sounds good. My vote goes to the SOCOM 16 with an Aimpoint optic for Best Assault Rifle! :D

SKYDOG308
May 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
AK if assualt CQB was the affair of the day and the strict limiter.......however if Battlerifle was the term used then the choice is clear LRB-M14-M25 with 1:10 Krieger bbl 22" match front sight, special self made ghost ring rear, Sadlak match guide spring rod, Sadlak TIN grooved Piston, GI trigger group tuned to crisp snap at 3.0 lbs, USGI Parts and rear sight assembly, IOR 1.1-4x23mm objective illuminated ballistic drop circle and dot scope and burris rings, Versapod bipod(s), one mount many legs. I'd have Ted Brown assemble it for me.

If moving by vehicle or aminal I'd carry both! And load heavy on 7.62x51 match ammo and mags and parts. The AK is keep the mostiquers off your back.

L_Killkenny
May 30, 2008, 06:31 PM
Is a lever action .357 on the list? If not then...................none of the above?

LK

Stevie-Ray
May 30, 2008, 08:30 PM
I suppose that taken as literally as one can without the "switch" my rifle would be the Colt AR-15 Tactical Carbine I now have. But as far as battle rifles go, read MTMilitiaman's first post and swap M1A with FAL and you have my opinion. As he loves his M1A, I love my FAL. As he'd love to have a FAL, I'd love to have an M1A. Too bad we don't live closer, we could hit the range and try out each other's rifles.:D

Kreyzhorse
May 30, 2008, 08:51 PM
I don't own an "assault rifle", but I do own a SKS that I like a lot. 1951 Tula re-arsenaled in excellent shape, think I paid under $100 for it several years ago.

High Planes Drifter
May 30, 2008, 09:55 PM
Not my favorite, but I'd pick my Bulgy AK47. Sure, I own other rifle's I enjoy shooting more, my small collection of AR's would be high on that list.

Kind of like a rancher going to the stable and looking at a line of thoroughbreds, and looking at a trusty ol' mule at the end. Just one? The reliable ol' mule gets the call.

SKYDOG308
May 30, 2008, 10:37 PM
Pick one...SOCOM 16 ......that's what I'll bring. If I felt like the SOCOM 16 wasn't the right fit, then I'd just bring them all.

Csspecs
May 31, 2008, 12:39 AM
Well if I only get one! I am assuming this is some sort of a stimulise program you are pitching to the government?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Rifle_Type_95.jpg

I will need several cases of ammo when uncle sam gets around to sending that to me!

Tomac
May 31, 2008, 08:36 AM
FN PS90 for me: Short, manueverable, can be aimed/fired effectively w/one hand, fully ambidextrous, 50rd mag, mild muzzle blast, no muzzle flash, easier to fire from prone (no mag sticking out the bottom), ridiculously easy to strip/clean/maintain (blowback action, no gas system to clean/adjust), easy for other family members to use, ammo effective to 200m (I can't realistically see taking shots at that range, much less farther), ammo weighs half as much as 9mm or 5.56 so twice as much can be carried for a given weight and you can get a companion pistol in the same caliber (FN Five-seveN USG) to simplify logistics. It's not perfect but it suits my particular needs better than anything else (YMMV).
Tomac
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofPS90withAimpoint019.jpg

SKYDOG308
May 31, 2008, 09:00 AM
Tomac, It's good thing that the ammo is light and that you can carry all you will ever need, cause it's unlikely for quite a few years that you will find that five seven stuff laying on the shelf at the country store, guess they will put it in between the '06 and 12 gauge.......also there's the legal matter around that cartridge, will it be banned by next set of anti-gun legislation along with 50BMG it's written into the current drafts of the bills alledgly being held till lib's control both branches of gov. But if you will send me 20-30 thousand so I can have rifle and pistol combo with enough ammo to make me feel warm and fuzzy I'll join you.

The same attributes you attribute (aside from pistol brother) to the FN, I also see in the M1 carbine, funny that not once has that rifle been mentioned and CMP has a gazillion of them they are dumping into the hands oflaw abiding citizens. If I had to choose an alternate to my shrimp sized monster breathing fireball creator SOCOM 16 I would certainly consider the M1 Carbine, everyone in my family can handle shoot one, ammo is so so here and there available, reliablity is top drawer and best of all it's made out of wood and steel

Tomac
May 31, 2008, 09:32 AM
Skydog, thx for the informative & objective input.;)
Whether or not 5.7 ammo (or any caliber I use) is available at the local store is moot since I always buy mine in case lots and stack 'em high & deep. I don't exactly see .30 Carbine ammo overflowing the local shelves either for that matter.
If the Dems get the AWB they want then no semi-auto, regardless of caliber, will be safe so again the point is moot.
While I consider the .30 M1 carbine to be a direct predecessor to the PS90 and a viable option it's still not as short as the PS90, as easy to clean/maintain, as flat-shooting, as easy to scope, doesn't have as many rds on tap in the mag, .30 ammo's not as light as 5.7 & the .30's steel & wood (beautiful as they may be) will not withstand the elements as well.
However, if the firearms you've chosen for your particular needs suit them best then by all means you have the right firearms for *you*...
Tomac
ETA: Here's a pic of the PS90 completely field stripped for cleaning (takes less than 30 seconds w/o any tools). All that needs cleaning is the bbl & chamber of the bbl group & the moving block group directly behind it in the pic (although I suppose you could wipe down the trigger pack w/a clean cloth once in awhile). Care to post a pic of the .30 carbine or your SOCOM 16 field stripped for cleaning, perhaps including what tools were needed and how long it took?:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofFN57withTLR-1001.jpg

SKYDOG308
May 31, 2008, 10:52 AM
Tomac, I envy your selection,(I really do, as I said if I had the coin to stock the ammo then I WOULD HAVE THE SAME PLATFORM..READ MY POST AGAIN PLEASE) and there is no doubt that your system is definitely state of the art, the reality of this entire thread is (I believe in my objective state of mind) going to be much the same conclusion as the prefect "most accurate" rifle thread.....it's whatever you have found that works for you, I have not been able to find a single rifle that fits the needs of my entire family and friends (my circle of trust) so we have taken a platoon type methodology to the solution with a reasonable variety of weapons shooting as few different calibers as possible and trying to select calibers that are in plentiful supply at virtually any location globally. Several of us are pilots of both planes and sail boats.

I think often many of us think of our rifle as doing the "work" for us, without superior physical training, mental alertness and preparation, knowing the 'stakes and limits of the ONE rifle that one will used, then all this chatter becomes moot. It is good that these people have objective views about their weapon of choice, because the guy with one rifle, one load, iron sights and a superior knowledge of his/her surroundings is the one I fear the most. I personally also in my objective state of mind think that the folks that can afford to do so familiarize themselves thoroughly with the workings, repair and cleaning of as many different platforms of rifle defense as possible. Well I've rubbed my nickels together till they are only worth two cents so I therefore toss my two cents onto the woodpile, and shut up for awhile.

SKYDOG308
May 31, 2008, 11:10 AM
I don't have M1 Carbine, I just like them, I think they are the best (pistol) ever made. I think they are a blast to shoot.

Cleaning M1A - M14 Platform. I need several things, cleaning rod or bore snake, a 7.62 cartridge, a combo-tool, two gas piston drills and I prefer to have a wrench to "hold" gas cylinder/barrel while I torque off the gas cylinder cap, a stiff bristle brush is nice to have and a clean rag and some grease pots.

Cleaning the Steel Warrior comes in intervals, not in complete overhauls like the AR family, but more akin to the AK with a little more attention to detail.

Every 200 rounds bore gets cleaned with snake or rod whether it needs it or not.
5 minutes to 10 minutes, no take down necessary.

Every 600-800 rounds gas piston gets pulled, drilled and polished, add an extra five minutes.

every 1500 rounds, well this is when it gets to be fun, plan on about 1 hour to do her up right. Give you time to relax from the rigors of the day and hold her tight! :o

tulsamal
May 31, 2008, 11:57 AM
I agree there is something to be said for the FN PS90 and a companion FN 57 pistol. But it isn't just ammo cost that gives me pause. It's the whole thing. I paid $199 for my SAR-2. The 30 round mags were less than $10 each. You can buy the ammo for $120 for a 1080 round sealed can. Milspec ammo. (And the metal cans I already have from several years ago cost me less than that. Weren't they around $79?)

Sure, you don't see SAR-2's for that price anymore. But I'm having an AK pistol built right now on an AMD65 kit. Don't need US parts so that makes it cheaper. I've only got about $170 in that gun for the kit and the receiver. I spent outrageous amounts of money for an unissued Yugo .223 AK kit. That was over $400. About $100 for the receiver. Maybe another $100 for US parts. And the extra mags are crazy expensive (for an AK) at $25 each. Still means I got the whole shebang for around $700. And I can use my AR ammo in it.

If we use Bud's online prices, the PS90 is going to run about $1660 plus transfer fees. And that's with a 30 round mag. So $60 each for the 50 round mags. Let's go cheap and just get three. So that adds $180 to the cost of the rifle. And if I was going to get one, I really think I would be unhappy with the stock sight. Probably end up spending another $300-$400 to end up with something better. It seems like I could end up with $2500 in the rifle by the time I get a few "cool extras" for it.

The handgun isn't cheap either. Bud's wants $855 for it plus transfer costs. That's what I paid for my HK45 and I have to say I would take the HK in that comparison!

And that still leaves us with the ammo costs. I'm not even going to go look that up. I really doubt 1000 round cases of it are going to compare favorably to 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 or 5.56mm. And we've come this far without even arguing about whether or not it really provides enough stopping power in the first place.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying I don't have enough money to make the experiment! I might really love the little rifle but man, that's a lot of money. I could get a US made AUG for that and I would personally rather own the AUG. Granted, if money is no object, it is an intriguing concept to play around with. But I really hesitate to recommend it for the "average Joe" looking for their SHTF rifle!

If I ever see somebody at the range shooting one, I'll have to beg to try it! I'll be sure to offer to pay for my share of the ammo.

Gregg

Wulfmann
May 31, 2008, 12:21 PM
If I only is actually I only have one assault rifle. That is a civi version of a military type in semiauto form.
The Daewoo DR200 has been called the best assault rifle in the world.
Subjective but certainly a fine weapon.
It combines the things one like in an AR-15 with the better qualities of an AK-47.
The fact it uses AR mags and some parts interchange as it is a similar bolt it differs in that the gas system is a piston rod like the AK (but better, IMO) so the lack of carbon blowing on the bolt means one can go thousands of rounds without a single cleaning. I bought my second DR200 in 2003 and 55 months later I cleaned it for the first time.
Very accurate cheaper to load for or find cheap ammo for.
Far more reliable than an AR, far more accurate than an AK.
Big black, dripping with savvy, hell forget shooting it, if it had a bathroom I'd live in it!:cool:

Wulfmann

Tomac
May 31, 2008, 12:23 PM
Tulsamal, I completely agree w/you about both the price of the PS90 & the appeal/utility of the 5.45 AK (my fav non-PS90 platform). I remember when I bought 2 new SAR-2's when they first came out. To test reliability I took them both right out of the box w/o cleaning/lubing and with the help of a couple of friends put 4K rds of Wolf 60gr 5.45 through them (2K apiece) in the course of a single day. Reliability was 100% and with the exception of the PS90 have yet to encounter that sort of "right out of the box" reliability and using the Kobra sight could consitently hit the 300m gong all day if I did my part. I think I paid $250 for mine, Kobras were $125 back then, EG 5.45 mags were dirt cheap (would pick up the NIB EG 4xmags/pouch combos for like $35) and Wolf 60gr 5.45 was right around $100/case. Unfortunately, SAR-2's are no longer imported and I fear all it would take is a stroke of the executive pen to ban further imports of 5.45 ammo (know of any domestic 5.45 ammo makers? I don't... at least my fav 5.7 ammo is produced domestically) and the currently available 7N6 milsurp is corrosively primed which adds to the time, effort & supplies needed for cleaning adequate enough to avoid rust (not that big a concern if you're only using it for range ammo). For the price, IMHO, you can't go wrong w/a good 5.45 AK and a few cases of Wolf 60gr put back, best "bang for the buck" value out there.
Yeah, the PS90 is the most expensive rifle package I've ever owned (I don't think I want to add up exactly how much I've put into them) and it's not for everyone or every pupose but price aside I think it makes an excellent survival/SD setup.
Tomac
ETA: SkyDog, my apologies if I misinterpreted your posts...

MTMilitiaman
May 31, 2008, 12:57 PM
Cleaning the Steel Warrior comes in intervals, not in complete overhauls like the AR family, but more akin to the AK with a little more attention to detail.

Every 200 rounds bore gets cleaned with snake or rod whether it needs it or not.
5 minutes to 10 minutes, no take down necessary.

Every 600-800 rounds gas piston gets pulled, drilled and polished, add an extra five minutes.

every 1500 rounds, well this is when it gets to be fun, plan on about 1 hour to do her up right. Give you time to relax from the rigors of the day and hold her tight!

That makes sense. I do it a little differently, cleaning the bore and the gas system together every 300 to 400 rounds. Basically, that means I just pull the cable from my Otis through the bore everytime I take the gas system apart. After the bore is clean, I clean the gas system, and put everything back together dry.

The receiver and bolt stay so clean, I could probably go 1200 to 1500 rounds on my M1A before I clean it, but I don't.

SKYDOG308
June 1, 2008, 01:29 PM
Tomac, no apologies necessary. My original answer early in the thread stands, AK , but I'm a 30 cal person, did the exact same thing you did with SAR-2's, but for some reason (it's been a few years) I took them back and just sold them back to the gun store, for like 150.00 each, and tossed about 3K rounds of ammo into the city landfill because I had opened all the boxes and put them into sealed cans, there's some 5.45.in the county landfill for you treasure hunters, about six months ago I sold all my AR15 stuff, rifles, mags, ammo, tools and everything AR associated to my stepson for $1.00, I desloved myself of 1911 format pistols and standardized on two pistol formats, XD in 45ACP and Berreta in 9mm with recreational Walter's in 22LR and as easy to conceal backups, my wife and I decided to keep our target 22 pistols....man I'm way off topic...short and long of the whole selection process for me is what I shoot well and what I have a respect for in caliber, basically we are a 12 gauge (all 870 pumps) 762x51 M1A and Bolt action rifle fanily with AK-47 folders and fixed as assualt semi auto's, The 30.06 Garands are just basically for looks and occasional matches. if it HTF the Garands and '06 ammo would be left behind, no second thoughts at all. BTW all my M14's have fibreglass stocks on them. The wood stocks hang for presentation purposes of the rifles when they will no longer be needed or used, wraped in plastic. Just waiting for me to turn back into dust.;)

SKYDOG308
June 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
MTMilitiaman,
I brush off face of bolt and ramp and chamber brush (I forgot in my list of items) and wipe out the chamber every 200 rounds of so, maybe light grease outer rail if becoming dry, check grease on bearing, but I seldom if ever take out of stock before 1500 rounds and clean, degrease and regrease everything.
Approaching 10,000 rounds on same barrel (chrome molly) very soon, maybe next week and TE is 5 and bore is 2, but I can still nail clay pigions (laying on the ground) at 300 yards (not meters) with South African surp ammo, but barrel is at the end of it's life and will soon be headed back to krieger for an upgrade, this is the MAIN thing I dislike about 30 cal rifles (especially since all of mine are match rifles and not chrome lined) they chew up barrels like crazy.

Tomac
June 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
Skydog: Nice setup you have! Although I regard the PS90's/FN57's as the primary firearms I also have several 12ga pumps for close-in & a .308 NDM-86 Dragunov for distance shots. However, I wouldn't feel terrible if I had to leave everything but the PS90's & FN57's behind.
Tomac

Jamie Young
June 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
Normally I'd say a Mini 14, but my #1 favorite rifle is slowly becoming my LWRC AR.

JKHolman
June 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hear! Hear!, Wolfmann.

grimjaw
June 2, 2008, 07:06 PM
If nothing else changed (legislation, current political climate, SHTF, etc) besides my ability to afford one, I'd get a AK74 Krink. It the only one I could afford to feed with a happy switch available.

jm

quiettype1
June 3, 2008, 05:31 AM
Given the choice I would choose the Daewoo K2 over the DR200 simply because of the 1x7.3" twist.The folding stock is also a plus.

Incognito
June 3, 2008, 05:46 AM
Accept no substitutes. :cool:

mee
June 3, 2008, 06:52 AM
Im taking an M4 style carbine with a .308 cal upper. daytime nighttime scope. laser. tactical light. bipod. you know the works. reason for the .308 upper is its a nice round similar to 7.62. good at med to long range. hits a little harder than a .223! OHH OHHH AND its a hunting round so there for as "shtf" and the govt takes the standard .223s off the shelf to use for "national security" the .308 hunting round will still be aboundant there for personal protection hehe:D

Webleymkv
June 3, 2008, 09:53 PM
Assault Rifle- Saiga .223

Battle Rifle- FN-49 30-06

Hey, waddaya know, those are the only two rifles I own in those categories, all the rest are bolt or lever action.

tulsamal
June 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
Im taking an M4 style carbine with a .308 cal upper. daytime nighttime scope. laser. tactical light. bipod. you know the works.

Ohh, good idea. Pick a bunch of stuff that adds weight and that will stop working when there are no more batteries!

reason for the .308 upper is its a nice round similar to 7.62. good at med to long range.

What is THAT supposed to mean?! It's like me saying I'm going to pick a .223 because it is "similar to 5.56mm!"

OHH OHHH AND its a hunting round so there for as "shtf" and the govt takes the standard .223s off the shelf to use for "national security" the .308 hunting round will still be aboundant there for personal protection

So I'm going to somehow still have my rifles after this "SHTF" but somehow I don't have all the many thousands of rounds I've stocked away just for them? All my reloading components stopped working? The unopened metal cans of 5.45x39 mysteriously disappeared?

I'm not dissing 7.62 NATO. I'm a FAL guy myself. But it will be a peculiar future where you can still find and buy .308 Winchester but not 5.56mm or .223 Remington!

Gregg

dasss
June 28, 2008, 11:53 AM
AK 47 is there any other?

bigjack59
June 28, 2008, 12:20 PM
My one and only Assault Rifle is in my cabinet...6.8SPC in a M4 carbine look alike. Kills everything, doesn;t miss, is loud as hell and has never let me down.

jughead2
June 28, 2008, 03:06 PM
i agree with post #15. got one as a christmas present a few years back. wont comment on what i an old man 2 days older than dirt has been able to do at a measured 400 yards with it couldnt believe it my self. my son stood there with his mouth open.:eek:

ronl
June 28, 2008, 04:22 PM
My Robarms XCR. I do like the Daewoo, but my neighbor wouldn't sell his to me. I like my Ak and my AR's, but I can only choose one and the XCR is the best of both worlds.

slakline
June 29, 2008, 03:53 PM
Fal carbine.....that's all I would need.

Creature
June 29, 2008, 04:46 PM
Gotta go with the AR.

Superior accuracy compared to the AK and adaptable to many configurations. Lugging the ammo to feed it is a bit easier than the AK's as well.

http://www.atlantacc.net/ArfCom/3Gun_1_27-08_Shooter_03.jpg

Rifleman 173
June 29, 2008, 09:00 PM
AK-103 type rifle. Polymer furniture with the hitting power of the 7.62 X 39 cartridge. AK reliability to boot. Can't beat that unless you add a 4 X scope to it.

Sarge
June 29, 2008, 09:09 PM
AK. Don't care who made it as long as the gas tube and front sight are on straight & it wasn't crowned by a drunk chimp with a chainsaw file. I can fix those things if need be, though. I'd like a big pile of Hungarian 20 round mags and a couple of cases of Barnaul Silver Bear, while you're boxing it up.

guntotinguy
June 29, 2008, 11:05 PM
But I like my Saiga conversion.

+ 1,I like my 3 Saiga converts,also got a Arsenal SLR-107CR.

Tough choices to make...

shurshot
June 30, 2008, 06:33 AM
I own an AK, and am selling it. I have over the years owned several AK's, a Beretta AR-70, HK 911, Beneli M1 super 90, Several AR-15's, Tec-9, etc. I ended up selling every one sooner or later.

After much consideration, the only "Assault" rifle I will ever need, I have had since my Dad gave it to me almost 3 decades ago, a Sears Ted Williams model 100 (streamlined Winchester model 94) lever action in .30-30. For the woods (or god forbid and urban enviroment or self defense situation if "it" hits the fan), this rifle is powerful, quick repeat shots, slim in profile, lightweight, and and easy to shoot in the prone position.

And it is a superb Deer rifle that I will pass on to my son.

SR420
June 30, 2008, 07:16 AM
JKHolman

Daewoo
Hear! Hear!, Wolfmann.

+2
I just wish I could find an unaltered K2 or DR200 with a low round count ...

RockyMtnTactical
July 1, 2008, 11:55 PM
An AR15 would be my choice. Mine are great weapons, I would trust them with my life.

TPAW
July 3, 2008, 10:05 PM
AK47

MeekAndMild
July 3, 2008, 10:50 PM
OK Mods, why hasn't this thread been moved to the NFA forum? :confused: I know people on this board who will fall on their swords in protest of somebody innocently using the word "clip" but for some reason it is accepted for people to buy into the fraudulent use of the word "assault rifle" for semi auto guns. :rolleyes:

44 AMP
July 3, 2008, 10:58 PM
Note that I am talking actual "Assault Rifle" (which is a valid term) here, and not the anti gunners "assault weapon" (which is not a valid term).

Assuming I could have any one assault rifle (and not concerned with the cost/legality), then there is only one I would choose, and it is one not mentioned by any of the other posters!

The original "assault rifle", the Sturmgewehr, the Stg 44! For the historical value, of course!:)
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/44AMP/STG-44203SML1.jpg

MeekAndMild
July 3, 2008, 11:36 PM
Thank you mods! :D

Now that the thread is talking about NFA guns as it should: if I had the money to buy an assault rifle and if new ones were legal for civilians in the US I think that an FN SCAR Mk 16 Mod 0 would be really cool. :cool:

The SCAR is not likely available unless the 1986 ban is overturned so for present NFA rules the best pick would be a classic M-16 wearing an M4 upper.

Ignition Override
July 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
A really young soldier was traveling from Ft. Riley, KS and I asked him a simple question about a complex topic.

After asking him whether he had been in the "sandbox",
he said that he had spent 16 months in Iraq, so I considered his advice on actual 'field applications'' to be valuable and tested-certainly not a "shooting range commando". He had experienced self-defense and probably had used his "go bag" often.

Therefore my single question was whether he would prefer a Russian-designed rifle or the M-4, AR-15 type.
We had little time to chat and his only answer was "Well maybe, just one grain of sand will jam the rifles we had".

That's all he said and was maybe hesitant to elaborate.
Being interested in guns which are known to be durable under many conditions attracted me to either former combat carbines or those which are generally based upon military-style actions (i.e. SKS, Mosin...).

KChen986
July 4, 2008, 01:18 AM
My RRA AR-15--and a bottle of CLP just to be safe :). I have an AK and it might be dead-nuts reliable but I can't really optimally use the sights.

longslide7
July 4, 2008, 01:32 AM
My M-14-E2 with the Smith Ent break and the Bata-Mag double drum. Almost 24 pounds, but *** I not fast on my feet anyway.

ziggy222
July 5, 2008, 04:40 AM
i think an ar10 with 16 inch barrel and scope would cover about any need you could find.or an hk set up the same

Creature
July 5, 2008, 07:08 AM
We had little time to chat and his only answer was "Well maybe, just one grain of sand will jam the rifles we had".

That's all he said and was maybe hesitant to elaborate.

Interesting. I wonder why he was so hesitant.

daveydoo
July 8, 2008, 02:05 PM
if only one...AK47 ammo cheap and easy to get. part no problem and it will fire until you beat it with a hammer

flyby
July 8, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'd prolly take a Steyr AUG also, always liked them
..as for an AK nah! ..not a communist Or terrorist ;) :D
don't care for the sights or radius either ..now a Galil on the other hand

Hawg Haggen
July 8, 2008, 06:20 PM
My 44-40 lever action.

AutoPistola
July 8, 2008, 07:15 PM
I'll take a Valmet/Sako Rk95 folder, the best that the AK family could offer.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as43-e.htm

.351winchester
July 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
I own an AK, and am selling it. I have over the years owned several AK's, a Beretta AR-70, HK 911, Beneli M1 super 90, Several AR-15's, Tec-9,
What did you think of the Tec-9? I have wanted one since I was a little kid. For no other reason than the looks. Now if it could plink reliably with FMJ, that might make me track one down (I had wanted a Mac or M-11/9 too, but even the good ones have to be babied to function right from what everyone says even proud owners, I don't care for that). From gathered info, it cycles right with the right type of mag and heavy ball, trigger action is fast, common issues are front sight weld misaligned, and something about the upper separating from the lower at the rear (and have seen some in movies with zip ties inexplicably cinching the back portion).
I dunno, just love the looks of it. Might be the "gangsta" in the gangster gun collection I'm working on.

Firepower!
July 16, 2008, 01:05 AM
The more I use M4A1 the more I like it. Yes AK is best known for reliability, and I have have been very partial to it BUT them Americans have finally lived up to their reputation and invented M4A1, which is vastly improved from M4. M4 I had before use to FTF a lot. This has not so far. Fires smoother then any other weapon. I mean this is a beauty. It requires cleaning more than Ak, and thats why I am keeping this for myself and AKs for guards. Since it is hard to keep checking if guards are cleaning them regularly or not.

My next quest is to get Styer AUG A1 and shoot 10000 rounds and determine its performance.

Hugh G Rection
July 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
One and only one Assualt rifle?

My M-16.

It runs in .22, 5.56mm (multiple barrel lengths) and 6.8mm SPC.