PDA

View Full Version : oddest(strangest)thing you`ve experienced while hunting

shortwave
May 7, 2008, 11:32 AM
mine would probably be when i was deer hunting(shotgun season) a few years ago. was coming out of woods and came across this hunter sitting on a log panting so hard i could hear him before i saw him. i asked him if he was ok , he replied he was just resting,pointed to a doe he had shot and said he didn`t know deer hunting was so exhausting and that this was his 1st deer hunting trip . he also explained that he had just had a heart attack about a month prior. i asked how far he had drug the deer and he said about 1/8 mi. and had about another 1/8 to go but that it would be all uphill. as you`ve probably allready figured i told him i would give him a hand and we walked over to the doe. i looked down at deer and politely explained to him how much easier it is to drag a deer after its been field dressed. dressed deer and we started dragging.

Bronco1957
May 7, 2008, 12:53 PM
While hunting in the upper peninsula of Michigan several years ago, I had a shot at a big whitetail doe. She put her head down, and I squeezed one off at her back, actually the base of her neck. Range, about 30 yards. That doe did a complete back flip and disappeared. I still laugh at that one. Funniest thing I have ever seen.

ELMOUSMC
May 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
Three or four years ago during Bow season my dogs started going nuts at about 8 in the morning.I let them loose and they took off for the ridge accross from my farm,I jumped on my 4 wheeler and followed them.Up on the ridge I saw a sight that will for ever make me laugh.A bow hunter had fallen out of his tree stand,he had a safty harness but he had not put it on properly so when he fell it slipped down around his ankles.The worst part was that it had also pulled his pants and long johns down.With his arms extended he still was about afoot from touching the ground after getting control of myself I cut him down,he never spoke a word he pulled up his pants and headed down to the road and his car leaving me with a nice Bear recurve 6 carbon fiber arrows and a tree stand with a Cabelas range finder.I guess he had had enough of bow hunting ELMOUSMC:D

BadVegetarian
May 7, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well, drat. I don't have any great stories yet, but there happens to be a similar thread on a local forum that's pretty damn entertaining.
Weird findings in the woods. (http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441)

BV

Deerhunter264
May 7, 2008, 03:30 PM
One dayin the middle of september i was squirel hunting down in the woods and i was sitting up against a tree and i heard a snort i look up it was a doe and her twins they were about 40 yards away then they got realy spookey and the one fawn came running throught the timber and jumped over me. I was lucky i didnt get a hoof to the head. :eek::D

45Dave
May 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
My sisters former hubby was a novice hunter. Having grown up hunting I would take him out and "teach" him some things about grouse, rabbit and deer hunting. When I was 16 he announced he was going to take me to a real hot spot in Oil City, Michigan. We walked in the woods in the dark, people were whistling at me while we walked to his "hot spot". Once daylight hit there must have been 30 people surrounding a draw, all I could think of was if a deer comes there we are going to shoot each other.
I crept away to a spot that was more secluded and dozed off in a nice sunbeam. Suddenly I heard some crashing and figured a deer was getting pushed my way but no, it was some guy about 6 ft 4 running in the woods. Now he was orange head to toe, double bandera across his chest full of shotgun shells, huge bowie knife on his hip. Now I am just a scared country kid with a single shot 20 gauge with this crazy guy in the woods. He comes running up to me, stare me and says.." I'm chasing a deer, did you see which way he went?" I pointed away from the direction of the car, he nodded, thanks and take off running like heck.
At that point I carefully stand up, begin to whistle a tune, I figure these nuts will be sound shooters, and make my way to the car where I slept the rest of the day. Talk about crazy people in the woods. After that I kept in my safe little country spot away from deer chasers.

davlandrum
May 7, 2008, 03:54 PM
My buddy and I were hunting Elk on the Oregon coast - pretty thick stuff. We hear a crash and a branch break, so spread out on each side of the draw. Hunkered down for a few minutes, crashing and breakin continues. Suddenly the sound stops. From up the draw (where the crashing is) we hear

"HEY, BLOW THAT COW CALL AND SEE IF SHE COMES BACK"

This was said loud enough to cover a country mile.

And the other guy actually did blow it...

My buddy and I just tucked back under cover and let the 2 guys pass.

tyrajam
May 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
I don't know if ELMOUSMC's will ever get topped! Too bad you didn't take a picture. The weirdest thing Iever saw was while duck hunting when I lived in Minnesota. I was hunkered in the bushes of a big lake, and as the sun rose several pike began jumping-straight up out of the water a good couple of feet, and splashing back down like a ton of bricks. This were big, arm length fish, just jumping straight up as high as they could. Never seen anything like that since and never heard from anyone else who has.

wpcexpert
May 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
Well, mine doesn't involve crazed Rambo guys, but more of a "why we hunt". As hunters, sitting in our stands, quiet and still, we get to see a side of nature that others don't even know about.

The coolest thing that has happened to me...was in my "Humming Bird" stand. I was sitting in a lock-on in a huge Post Oak. I heard a loud buzz, like a bumble bee on steroids. Then it comes in front and it's a Humming bird, male Ruby Throat. Now I've had visits from this pair everytime I sat this stand. They seemed intrigued by my colorful arrows on the side of their tree. Thus, this why the stand was the "Humming Bird" stand. But this time I sat extra still and quiet. The humming bird danced all around my head, less than a foot away. Then he came around front and hovered at the bill of my cap. Then sat down. He was sitting on the bill of my cap, and was chirping. I had heard them chirp before from previous hunts in the stand. But that is the coolest thing that happened to me.

Shawn

Swampghost
May 7, 2008, 05:58 PM
Many years ago I was dove hunting with a newbie. We were tucked inside of a good sized hedgerow and about 100 ft. apart when this guy starts freaking about something rustling in the bushes. I told him that he had a 12ga. and that there was nothing in the area that it wouldn't handle up close. He keeps on about it getting closer so I leave my spot only to find an armadillo rooting around.

The guy later shot somebody's racing pigeon while yelling "Look at the size of that one!".

We've been hunting together for over 40 yrs. and he really hates it when I get to tell this story.

shortwave
May 7, 2008, 05:59 PM
wpc, and people wonder why we hunt!

Pahoo
May 7, 2008, 06:55 PM
Was standing on my tree stand platform early one morning and the sun was starting to break when I heard something coming down the trail. In short time I noticed that it was another hunter stalking to my tree. Walked all the way and stopped at the base. I really could not believe what was happening. Connected his bow to my lift line then looked up at me. I still kept quiet until he stepped on the first step. I said;
Sure is going to get crowded up here.
Scared the crap out of him and took a few quick steps back. Looked up at me again and asked me what I was doing up there? "Trying to hunt out of my tree stand" Walked away muttering to himself.

Lawyer Daggit
May 7, 2008, 07:27 PM
We were hunting Sambar in N Victoria- there was one old fellow who was past hunting who would come along and usually spend all his time in camp sipping tea.

We hunted unsuccessfully, on return to camp this old timer had a large stag dressed out and hanging from a tree.

It had run into the camp after we had all left and he had quietly shot it.

Jason_G
May 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
I guess this happened when I was about 14:

Shot a squirrel with the very last shell I had on me. Squirrel fell from the tree, and appeared to be good 'n dead... wrong.

Squirrel ran around and around a sapling with me chasing it- so here I am chasing a squirrel in a circle around a tree over and over and over. He never changed direction, and never once tried to go up the tree. He just kept on running, slightly faster than me, around this dang tree. This went on for well over a minute. All I could think of was that kids' nursery rhyme about "here we go 'round the mulberry bush".

I finally stepped out of the little circle we were running, waited on him to come by me, and planted a well timed boot on him. I didn't think I was going to get him in the bag. Looked like something off a Bugs Bunny cartoon. My dad walked up on me and was laughing so hard he about wet himself. He had seen the whole thing. He still finds opportune times to embarrass me with that one. It was pretty funny though, I was laughin' at myself while it was happening. Just one of those weird things.

Jason

Kreyzhorse
May 7, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hunting antelope out west. My buddy puts a stalk on two bucks, one with great cutters and another one without much of a rack at all. As he belly crawls to the hill top they are on, the big boy gets wise and runs off. The small buck stays. My buddy pops his head up, sees an antelope and and shoots thinking its the big one. He was pretty disgusted when he realized what he did but done was done and our party was out of buck tags. The next day, cruising for does, we returned to the same area and the big buck was standing about 10 yards off the roadway not a care in the world. We stopped the truck and yell out the window "Next year, we'll be back for you."

After a few minutes of watching him we drove off and the antelope took off staying dead even with our truck. At 20 mph he was dead even with us. 30, 35, 40, 45 mph and that antelope stayed right with us. We goosed it up to over 50 mph, flying down a hard pack road bed and that antelope stayed right with us. He never looked over and never veered from us. I swear that antelop could have hit 60 without breaking a sweat. As the road finally took a 90 degree turn, we backed off and the antelope did too and he wondered off into the hills.

I had heard that antelope will race cars on occasion, but if I didn't know any better, I'd swear that he was giving my buddy the middle finger as he raced along side us!

L_Killkenny
May 7, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thankgiving Morning - 8 or 9 years ago.

I went to a public hunting timber for a morning squirel hunt. The timber is also frequented by hikers and mountain bikers . Temp was around 35 deg. I had been still hunting for a couple of hours and was quietly walking back to the truck on 1 of the main hiking trails. I round a corner and low and behold I find a pile of clothes in the middle of the trail. I look ahead and about 50 yards out I see a completely naked man speed walking away from me. At first I thought he still had his underwear on because his butt was SO SO WHITE. I decided to call the sheriff but my cell phone had no signal in the vally. I hauled butt up the hill and called the sheriff. I think the dispatcher thought I was nuts but took down a location for me to meet a deputy and sent one out. On the way to meet the deputy I had to walk down the trail that the clothes had been one but they were gone. I continue down the trail and about 1/8 mile from where I'm suppose to meet the deputy I see the man talking his clothes off again and he takes off naked down another trail. I made it to the meeting location and 2 deputies pull up about the same time. I tell them the story and together we walk back to the last location. Clothes and man were gone. We get back to the cars and I give they a discription of the man. I think they too thought I was nuts until one of the deputies notices a car parked a couple hundred yards away and goes down and runs the plates. The plates came back to a man with a dead nuts match for my discription. My truck was about a mile away so I headed off. I have no idea if they ever talked to the guy or not. The only advice they had for me.......next time, take the clothes!

LK

BTW: this is Iowa not CA!!!

bushidomosquito
May 7, 2008, 08:19 PM
An old BBQ grill with a horned lizard hanging from the handle by a perfectly tied little noose right next to a tree with about 20 dead turtles nailed to it.:eek: They were in various states of decay so the turtle nailer had been at it for quite some time. And we don't have horned lizards in Missouri so I guess it was either someones pet or perhaps brought in for this special purpose.

I was only a little kid and told my granpa about it and he went and checked it out. The story spread through my whole family and whenever I acted up my mother threatened to send me to go live with the turtle nailer.

JP Sarte
May 7, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hunting in Trimble County, Kentucky a friend of mine took a shot at a small six pointer and shortly after the deer hit a large tree and dropped like a stone. We looked for what must have been an hour and never found an entry or exit wound. This after it was hung and skinned. All we can figure is that the deer broke its neck when it hit the tree.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

JP

RedneckFur
May 7, 2008, 11:12 PM
Strangest (and worst) thing I ever ever saw in the woods happend when i was about 14 years old. In our hunting club, most hunters would go into their stands before dawn, hunt till early afternoon, come out of the woods for lunch at the camp, and then go back and hunt till dusk.

One particular day and older gentleman didnt come out around lunch time. A few of the guys were concerned, but the old man was known to fall asleep in his stand every now and then. It was about 3pm when his voice was heard on a CB radio in another hunters truck.

The old hunter was climbing an old, home built wooden stand early that morning. Halfway up, a step broke, and he fell from the stand. When he landed, he broke his leg very bady. His foot was right below his knee and his two lower leg bones had come out of his thigh and through his pants.

This was before cell phones, so the only way he was able to call for help was to spend all morning crawling to his truck to get to the CB radio. My father and a few other hunters dressed his leg as best as they could while somone drove out to the closest house to call an ambulance. It was a very scary thing for me to see at the time, and even to this day, I will NOT climb a wooden tree stand.

The good news is the older man healed up just fine, and walks without a cane. I still see him from time to time, and he still hunts the same area, but now he has a ground blind.

Another odd thing, but unrelated is the very next day I fell off my bike on the highway and broke my left arm. Me and the older gentleman had a good laugh the next weekend when we both showed up to hunting camp with casts.

fisherman66
May 7, 2008, 11:21 PM
While quail hunting we had a German Shorthair catch a rattle snake bite on the nose. He blew out copious amounts of blood. It seems the single fang that caught went into the sinus cavity and ejected it's poison there and it was blown out with all the blood. The dog never showed any signs of illness and was hunting the next day.

williamd
May 7, 2008, 11:43 PM
Having a grizzly start eating on a black bear that we'd just killed! Ever pack out a black and grizzly green hide! Ugh! Over hill and dale, several miles from base camp! More fun now then it was then!

Yithian
May 7, 2008, 11:54 PM
Mines odd because of what I didn't do.
I didn't shoot them.

Last January, ATTT and I went hunting with a few guys from out of town.
ATTT took us to his secret "hidey hole".
The guest hunters took one side of the field, about 40 yards away, on the other side of a stand of oak trees, and we took the other.
We were supposed to be hunting pigs, even tho it was still deer season.
We had layed out corn on both sides and proceeded to wait.
ATTT got tired and fell asleep on the ground under his tree stand.
Eventually, I walked out into the field to get a better look at the fenceline.
Loe and behold a doe crawls out and under the barbed wire fence.
Then another.
Each about 120 Lbs.
I was only about 30 yards from that part of the fence.
I start squawking for ATTT.
The deer didn't spook.
ATTT didn't do much but snore.
I even whistled, ATTT snored.
A buck materialized from nothing in my binocs.
So, there I am standing in the open air of a mowed over wheat field, less than 30 yards from two does and a 6 pt. buck, and ATTT is half way between me and them.
I gave up hooting at ATTT and just watched them stamp at me, one at a time, depending whos turn it was to watch me...
and my rifle slung over my shoulder.

Eventually the guest hunters decided to check on what the heck I was doing making so much noise.
Them rustling thru the underbrush of oaks scared off the deer.
They did see them tho. So, I had witnesses.
That is my Fav hunting trip so far.
Has nothing to do with killing an animal. Just being there made the event a sweet memory.

gadgetguy1288
May 8, 2008, 02:30 AM
i think i can say that the scariest thing to ever happen to me was in the ocala national forest 2 years ago, i got up in my tree stand about 30 mins before daybreak, and i sat there pretty much uselessly until about 1030 when i hear a bunch of rustling and crashing coming from the brush behind me. i sat there and listened to it for about 15mins waiting for something to appear, when out of nowhere a small blk bear comes barreling straight for the tree im 30 ft up in. i started trying to shoo him away and it did nothing but make him curious apparently cuz he walked over to the tree and started climbing it! he got to with in about 10 feet of me and finally backed down rather quickly and ran off. needless to say i waited a good while before finally climbing down, becuz altho i had a Remington 30-06 with me, i really didnt want to have to explain why i shot a bear to the game wardens :-\

fbrown333@suddenlink
May 8, 2008, 05:16 AM
I was hunting one year in Alabama when this squirel crawls down the tree i'm in, walks out the limb about a foot above my head, jumps to the next tree and precedes to eat on a pine cone. Since I was deer hunting I let him be and just watched him eat. He then heads off down the draw and diapears. about five minutes later he starts to raise one hell of a fuss and as I look around I see a bobcat walking out of the bottom straight towards the tree i'm in. He gets to the base and starts to climb up and thats as far as he got, I didn't let him get any closer:D

Gbro
May 8, 2008, 09:29 AM
While Deer hunting 15 years ago, sitting in a cedar tree on a small pice of Hi-ground I could here something coming towards me. It was a calm sunny morning, lots of small critters to watch. This animal that was approaching didn't break stride and I couldn't figure what it was, I didn't think it was a deer, or man. As the noise got closer all the small critter activity's ceased leaving only one sound.
The thick alders where the sound was coming from opened up about 25 yards in front of me, one could see a mouse 50 feet away.
The sound of that animal came out of the thick alders and proceeded right towards the tree i was in. There was nothing there! just the sound of a walking animal. Then the sound stopped. I looked up and a beautiful black timber wolf was stopped just 50-60 ft in front of me. We stared for a while, and when I moved he bolted.
i have pondered this experience ever since, and probably wrote about it on this forum in the past or THR
I am at a loss for how better to describe this unbelievable experience.
No, Never did drugs. Almost wish I could blame it on something like that:confused:

Firepower!
May 8, 2008, 10:03 AM
Well its the strangest thing that happened to me and I can sense it as if it was yesterday. A couple years ago while hunting wild cocks in Kashmir region in Pakistan, I shot a three leged grave digger. To me it looked like a some sort of hiena but it had three legs and sharp teeth. It had dug a grave and was tyring to pull out a recently burried corps. I shot it and wounded it but i was using No. 4 shells which did not bring it down.

If you guys know what this creature is called it will be great to know. I have never seen it again, except heard stories from ppl who claim to have.

45Marlin carbine
May 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
I've had several amusing/strange things happen to me in the woods but this is the funniest thing I ever saw. some years back I was deer hunting on a whim of the afternoon in Pisgah National Fst and figured I'd walk a section of logging road that is familiar to me toting my 12ga Mag, just slipping along you know - not stand hunting I had not scouted the area but did know there are deer around so I had a red wool shirt-jac and a red cap on. for safety you know.
I had eased along going uphill about 1&1/2 mile when stopped for a breather at a draw and I got off the road about 50 ft near a laurel bush and sat down on a fallen log, there was deer tracks around it was used some as a crossing evidently.
I had been there about 15-20 minutes when this feller, an older gent (I was around 40 yrs at the time and he seemed about my age now - 57 or so) came down the road from the way I had planned on going. he was dressed completely in the old red&black wool plaid the old timers used to use a lot. jacket and pants. he did not see me altho anyone should have seen me. he had looked around some, even looking my way.
well he stopped there and with his back to me started urinating off the bank of the trail. he stood there for some time and he was shakeing and jerking like, this went on for a few minutes before I realized the crazy devil was jerking off! I was dumbfounded by this, directly the ol' boy let out with a grunt I suppose he shot his wad - just as this happened a 6 point came running downhill from the direction he had come from and I swung my shooty on him and let him have the load of 000. down he went - the ol' boy derned near jumped out of his boots and took off running down hill leaving his shotgun (Rem. pump) behind! so I got a buck and shotgun out of this. I got back to the gated-off road about dark, dragging the buck and toteing 2 shotguns. he was nowhere to be seen. I still laugh about this and everbody I know accuses me of lying as we all play tricks and jokes on each other when I try to tell about this.

Kreyzhorse
May 8, 2008, 10:44 AM
I was dumbfounded by this, directly the ol' boy let out with a grunt

Jaysus! That's funny and bizarre at the same time! I've been bored while hunting too but never THAT bored!

fisherman66
May 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
Without out a doubt that is the funniest and most disturbing thing I have ever read on this forum.

chow chow
May 8, 2008, 11:30 AM
The only time an old guy can have free time to jack off in serenity. Unfortunately, Mr Buck is close by...

well he stopped there and with his back to me started urinating off the bank of the trail. he stood there for some time and he was shakeing and jerking like, this went on for a few minutes before I realized the crazy devil was jerking off! I was dumbfounded by this, directly the ol' boy let out with a grunt I suppose he shot his wad ...

jimbob86
May 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
..... in late march a few years back, I had an odd thing happen. We set up with our backs to trees about 10 yards apart, I facing North, Donnie facing East. Cammoed head to toe...... it's 40 degrees and drizzling. I called with a diaphram every 15 minutes or so...... My gloved hands were freezing, so I rubbed them together to keep them warm. Every few minutes, I'd catch movement out of the corner of my eye off to my right, but after turning slowly to look, I would see nothing but dripping trees....... until there, 20 feet away was a bobcat, head low, eyes locked on my brown gloved hands, preparing to pounce (I remember his front feet, drawn under his chin, making running motions, in minuature, just before he sprang)! He sprang! I Screamed (like a schoolgirl, I'm told)! I swung the shotgun toward him and tried to back away, but the tree was behind me, so as my heels dug a hole in the ground trying to propel me away from the cat, all I accomplished was sliding my back 6 inches or so up the tree. The cat stopped, frozen, a couple inches in front of the muzzle of the shotgun, eyes as big as saucers...... then turned and trotted back to where he pounced from. He turned and looked back over his shoulder at me. At this point I realized I was still screaming incoherently, and my buddy was laughing so hard he had fallen over and was slapping the ground with his palms. I switched from screaming (like a schoolgirl) to cursing (like a Drill Sergeant), calling the cat every name in the book, and inventing a few new names, too. I called his parentage into question, and his courage........ the cat hissed and disappeared in the trees like smoke on a stiff breeze..........

Having spooked all living turkeys in the neighborhood, we went for coffee at F.L. Nicholson's ( Jeff Cooper's Man from Nebraska) and related the tale. She wrote Cooper about it, and we got a 2 sentence reference to it his Commentaries.......

jimbob86
May 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
...... had a forkhorn whitetail run out and paw at a doe I shot in a beanfield...... He stood there over her as I gathered my stuff up and folded up my shooting sticks. As I walked out to the doe (over 400 yars away), he sees me, and his head goes back and he starts walking right at me, all stiff legged....... like Frankenstein or something. We kept on a collision course until he's less than 50 yards away. I waved my arms and hollered at him. Still coming. I drew my .357 and hollered at him again. He stopped, hair standing on end, eyes rolled back in his head (like a goat's, just gefore it butts)....... I shot the ground twice an hollered "Git!", whereupon he turned waving his white flag...........

birdshot
May 8, 2008, 02:37 PM
a few years ago on a camping hunting trip, i was sitting on the side of a rocky ravine just before sundown. a skunk comes out and walks toward me. i did not want to spook any deer that may have been in the area so i remained still. the skunk stopped right between my legs, and seemed to be thinking, " i don't remember any rocks on this trail". camp food had been rich and i passed some gas, silent gas. the skunk's nose wrinkled up and he took off like he had seen a ghost.

ZeroJunk
May 8, 2008, 03:14 PM
I can't quite keep up with 45 Marlin, but his story reminded me of hunting up at Kerr Reservoir or Buggs Island. My friend often took his wife and had placed her in a ground blind that he had built out of cedar tree branches. We were working our way toward her still hunting but perhaps moving a deer in her direction. A couple came down the old logging road in a car, made out a little, got out and made love on the ground she says not more than 30 feet away. She never bothered them and directly they were on their way. We had fun asking for as much detail as possible.:)

Fat White Boy
May 8, 2008, 09:58 PM
I was hunting Chukar in Nevada with two friends. I knock one down and it lands by one of my friends who picked it up for me and put it in his game bag. About 10 minutes later, I look over just as a chukar flies between my friend's legs! he shoots and misses an easy going away shot. He looks at me and says,"Sorry!". My bird had regained conciousness, crawled out of his bag and flown off....

Hawg
May 8, 2008, 10:16 PM
I was sittin in a tree stand watching squirrels play and a Mockingbird lands on my rifle barrel. He sat there looking around for a few seconds then edges his way to the muzzle. He kept looking into the muzzle of my rifle and then looking all around and at one point stuck his beak in it. That made me laugh and he took off squawking up a storm.

Ron T. B.
May 9, 2008, 11:20 PM
My son and I were hunting ducks off of a platform blind. My son was 13 or 14 at the time. I saw a couple of ducks straight out in front of us, I supposed that my son, who was on my right, saw them too. Suddenly, while the ducks were much too far away, my son fired a shot. Almost immediately, in a rather excited voice, he yelled "duck". I was about to turn and ask him what the heck he was doin', when three pounds of dead Mallard flashed by inches in front of my face, and raised a small geyser of water off to my left. One look at my sons face and I knew I didn't have to say anything about the utility of yelling "duck" under the circumstances. We decided to use "hit the deck" if the need ever arose in the future.

rburch
May 10, 2008, 12:26 AM
This wasn't me, but my grandad loves to tell this story.

He was deer hunting back when he was about 25 and spotted a nice 8 point buck in his binoculars. It was about 100 yards off just over the crest of a little hill, but he can see the whole body. He lifts his open sight 30-30 Marlin, and he squeezes off a shot.

Then he lifts the binoculars and that buck is standing there calm as can be. So my grandad fires again and checks and this time he can't see anything above the hill.

So he walks up there and finds two almost identical 8 point bucks laying dead on the ground not five feet apart.

Since you're only allowed one deer a day, he called his brother and had him check in the 2nd one.

22-rimfire
May 10, 2008, 08:58 AM
Birdshot, that story was hilarious! I bet you're glad he didn't add some of HIS to the odorous mix. :)

robc
May 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
I dozed off at the base of an oak tree a couple of years ago (bow-hunting, S. MN). It was well before sunrise. I woke up with a MASSIVE coon standing right by my feet.

mikenbarb
May 10, 2008, 05:51 PM
I was sitting in my bow stand and a red squirrel kept chattering at me from the next tree 5 feet away. I was debating on sticking him to the tree with a fieldpoint but as I reached for my bow I heard a loud swooshing sound. I started freaking out trying to figure out what the noise was and before you know it a Red Tail Hawk had come down and picked the squirrel off the limb and sat there tearing into him 5 feet away from me. The hawk then noticed me and quickly departed dropping his dead squirrel almost on top of me and landed in a tree 100yds away trying to figure out what I was. The hawk wouldnt come back until I left the stand. I sat 50 yards from the tree in thick brush and watched him come back and finish his dinner. It was a pretty cool thing to see and I never leave home without a camera now.

shortwave
May 11, 2008, 05:18 AM
i sit and read , enjoying these experiences everyone has had hunting and i can`t help but think how bad the non-hunting population is cheating themselves in life. just does`nt make sense. this is the kinda stuff you just don`t see on tv.

Boncrayon
May 11, 2008, 09:15 PM
I was in a dearstand in a tree-line facing an enclosed meadow. I heard something behind me that was moving slowly, ever so closely out of my view with the stand's plywood blocking my vision. I could hear light steps in the moist leaves moving over several minutes within 30' of my stand. I carefully laid down my .3006 Remington, and picked up my .357 S&W revolver, waiting for a walk-by chance of a shot. Heart pumping, I leaned down over the floor's edge with hammer cocked, to find...........a dappled cow casually chewing her cud! I decocked my S&W, and smiled at the lovely animal. It was a funny drama that outsmarted my own imagination!

elkman06
May 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
Okay, gotta bite on this.
In about 80 or 81 a friend and I were riding back to camp at dusk in my Dads' 46 Willys..no top. I spotted a set of blinking lights on the opposite ridge. Stopped the Jeep and watched them for a few minutes. It travelled the approx, 1 mile to a point directly overhead us and the turned 90degrees and disappeared north. From the time it started to move until gone was not over 5 secs w/ a 3 sec pause directly over us.
Nope, no shine or Bud involved. Kinda weird though.
elkman06

shinnery jim
May 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
ever go squirrel thumping? I did just once. now I am not a kid, I am 56 now so it has been a while. but when I was a kid my granddad used to tell us about his growing up years. he came to Texas as a small boy in a covered wagon. they were poor hard sqrabble farmers to start with and had to hunt to feed the family.
he love to talk about thumping squirrels. and I loved to hear about it. the only gun he had to hunt with was a 30 30 and lets face it they are not good for squirrel. but he told us of the trick of thumping them. you would find a tree with a squirrel in it and make a lot of noise around that tree. the squirrel would clime higher and higher in the tree until he was in the top branches. you know the smaller ones. well he would always stay on the side away from all the noise. when he was high enough that you could see his tail around the branch then it was time to shoot him. you aimed at the branch under him and shot it. it would slap him in the head and he would fall down to the ground.
I had to try it. so I took my dads 45 peace maker with me when I went hunting the next time. found a squirrel in the tree and low and behold it really did work. I shot the limb and the squirrel fell right at my feet. I picked him up, put him in my tow sack and hung it on my belt and went on hunting.
but then the d--- thing woke up and I thought I had a weedeater in the bag. it was chewing my leg up. I jerked the bag off my belt and beat it against a tree to save myself.
the next time I saw my granddad I told him about it and told him he forgot to tell me about that. he was laughing so hard it took him ten minutes to tell me you were suppost to cut their throats when they fell, that they were just knocked out. I told him I found that out for myself.

flyboy14
May 14, 2008, 09:33 PM
My father in-law lets me 'cull' any old or unwanted deer out of his herd, since he takes 5-6 paid hunters every year, normally I am limited to does, or anything not wanted by the paid hunters. Not a big deal to me, but after 5 years of watching nice bucks walk, he tells me he has a big over the hill mule deer that he wants out of the herd. Needless to say I was excited, he didn't say much about him. We drive up on top of a ridge and he hands me his 270 and two shells, he tells me to walk down the draw and if I see this deer to take him. He told me that he would be the only buck and I would know him if I saw him he is a big 2x2. I said 2x2! he said the biggest 2pt you have ever seen. After hearing that I wasn't so excited, but bucks on the in-laws had been few and far between for me so off I went. I walked down the draw taking my time, stopping and listening and then moving on slowly. The walls of the draw got steeper as I went down and I understood why he was so sure the deer would be in it, there was no way out but right past me. As I slowly came around a corner I saw him, and he was right it was the biggest two point I had ever seen, and his body was huge (neb muley). By dumb luck I saw him before he saw me, I pulled up the rifle aimed for his ticker and squeezed of a shot, the buck jumped and ran around the corner out of site. I knew it was a good hit but I waited a few minutes and then went after him. He only ran about 30 yards and fell in a heap. As I walked up to the deer, something just didn't look right to me. He was laying there dead as a doornail but he just looked funny. When I grabbed his horn to pull his head uphill for gutting I realized what was funny about him. When I pulled on the horn it popped off in my hand! The first thought that ran through my head was that somehow my father-in law had caught a deer and glued shed horns onto it to mess with me, but a quick look at his head told me the truth, it had to bloody sockets where the horns had come off just as if they were shed, and they were extremely lightweight antlers. The next surprise came when I rolled him over to gut him, he had half of the equipment needed to be a buck below the belt, minus the testicles. Dont know if they shriveled up or got cut off, but the story of that buck gets told every year at hunting camp, and now the horns still sit on top of my gun cabinet, if i ever figure out how to post pics I will. Game warden aged the deer a 7+, didn't weigh him but even he told me it was the biggest bodied mule deer he had seen. Will never know what the spread was on his horns, but we measured 4 diff ways with them in the sockets and came up with anywhere between 27" to 31".

Huntergirl
May 14, 2008, 10:05 PM
Early season deer hunt in the mountains, I was sitting against a large pine tree with alot of low brush around me along a game trail. Started hearing this "glug glug" hollow sound about 20 yards or so down the trail, but didn't dare move and give away my location. First reaction was, ah oh oh, maybe a black bear.
A little nervous, I peered around the tree just as a 5x5 bull elk began mounting a cow. Wild eyed and gettin' down to business, both elk didn't spot me for a few seconds. Then with a crazed look, like "Honey, there's SOMEONE IN OUR BEDROOM!" They both took off into the woods.:D

DWFan
May 17, 2008, 09:45 AM
Walking thru a woods during squirrel season and take a break; sitting down on a large, flat rock....only to look down, and then around as I stood, to find out I had stumbled into a long-abandoned family cemetary and had been sitting on a headstone.
That was just a bit unnerving...what was really strange is the headstone had my last name on it and only a last name. No possible relation...my family is in Indiana and this was in Georgia.
That was strange.

guntotin_fool
May 18, 2008, 02:38 AM
Brother and I were hunting State forest land near Emily, Minnesota, I shot a nice 8 point that came running up the hill at me. Two fast shots, both in the boilerroom and he died fast, I decided to sit a while and wait to make sure it was all dead, and for my brother to show up. I hear foot steps coming from the top of the ridge and I think its going to be my brother, but its an older than I was guy, (I was low 20's and my brother a couple years older, the other guy was maybe 35) He keeps walking toward my deer and just when I think maybe he's going to claim the deer as his, he never misses a beat and steps right over my deer and keeps walking to me.
"I heard some shots, did you get one?" now this rocks me back a bit, as he just stepped over my deer.

"Uh. Yeah," I said, " you just walked past it" He game me a funny look and then looked back up the trail and for the first time realized that he had walked right passed it. He has a shiny as a new car rifle, with one of those wide as a leisure suit lapel kind of slings on it, with a HUGE knife even Rambo would leave at home strapped to his chest in some kind of a bandoleer sort of thing.

Looking at the deer, he asks me If I needed help gutting the thing, "no thanks, Its a pretty easy job" I said, and he keeps pulling out this knife. "Are you sure?" he asked, and I made the comment that I was pretty much more than sure, seeing it was my 12 or 13 th deer at the time. I looked up and saw that my brother was now fairly close and seeing the other guy, brother was not pointing the gun his way, but in keeping with his response he was keeping it at ready arms...The older guy then asked about how we were going to cut the head off, and where did we take the deer for processing. None of this made sense to us, and we let him know we did all the cutting.

So with this he walks about 15 or 20 feet past us and finds a log to sit on. He starts asking all sorts of questions about the process, all the time coming back with questions that made no sense at all. When he sees our "puny" little knives we were using he nearly had a break down.

chow chow
May 18, 2008, 11:48 AM
Stepping on someone's else poop in the woods bec its covered with dirt and leaves.

Jack O'Conner
May 19, 2008, 07:22 AM
Great stories, all. I'm enjoying this thread.

Years ago, my Dad and I hunted together in the boulder strewn country of NE Park County, Wyoming. Dad shot a good muley buck that was standing in tall grass. It bounded away but toppled after a couple jumps. While we were dressing the deer, we heard movement in the grass about 40 feet away. I walked over and found a doe struggling. A golf ball sized hole was observed through the spine. Dad's bullet had passed through the buck and struck the doe which neither of us could've seen.

Dad finished the doe with his revolver. We dressed it and hung it high off the ground so coyotes could not get to it and drove to town. Dad phoned the Warden and explained what happened. The Warden drove over and we showed him the doe. He looked over our footprints in the snow and said that no crime had occurred but we couldn't keep the un-tagged deer.

Dad was relieved that he wouldn't face a poaching charge. He told me, "when in doubt, ALWAYS do the right thing".

Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/PineRidge.jpg

Freakdaddy
May 19, 2008, 08:42 AM
I was turkey hunting one spring and was walking along a runoff below a pond dam. I see this doe about 60 yards off hauling butt toward me. She jumps the fence not missing a beat still heading my direction. I'm just standing still in a fairly open spot watching and waiting for her to see me and veer off. When she gets about 15 feet from me and is still going full-bore, I realize she is actually going to lay me out like a linebacker. I raise my arms and shout "HEY" at her. She hits the brakes, front legs going in opposite directions and eyes big as saucers! She skids to about 5 feet of me and then turns and stumbles trying to get away from me as quick as possible. I was rolling the rest of the morning and although it's been probably 20 years ago, it still brings a smile to my face.

One of the coolest things I have ever seen was when I was bowhunting in October. It was getting near dark and I was making my way back to the truck. They had been clearing timber in one section and I was standing in cedars at a fence overlooking a field that was about 75 yards wide. I was checking out what all they've done when I hear something walking in the timber. I see a turkey come out in the cleared section of woods and being to far to even think of a shot and having no way of sneaking within range, I just stand and watch him. Then another and another and so on. There ends up being about 20 to 25 turkeys come out into this clearing, all toms. There was probably 6 to 8 mature ones and the rest were jakes. The mature toms end up in this circle in the middle and they start strutting and occasionly gobbling. In the meantime, the jakes start fighting each other, apparently establishing some sort of pecking order. This went on for about 5 to 10 minutes. It ended as quickly as it started and they all headed for roost up the hill. This was probably the most incredible thing I've ever seen. That was the first time I ever heard toms gobbling in the fall and to watch those jakes going at it while those toms were strutting was absolutely amazing.

Okay, one last one. I was bowhunting on private land and it was late October, probably in '90. I had this bright idea to take my McKenzie deer target to use as a decoy. This was one of the 3 section targets that isn't the most friendly thing to try to carry in the woods. I finally get it to where I want to set up at and after a couple of hours, I don't see or hear anything. I figure I scared anything away within earshot from cussing this damn target and my stupid idea of trying to carry it in the woods. I decide to still hunt and I leave my target in the field I set it up in, planning to get it when I go back to the truck to eat lunch. As I make my way back to where I left my target a few hours later, I don't see it. My first thought is someone stole it. I walk up to where it was and see it laying down and think no biggy, it just fell over. When I get a little closer, I see the head/neck section is about 5 feet behind the tail section. I look at it a little closer and there appears to be tine marks in the neck. My guess is a buck didn't like my intruder I placed in his area. I would have given anything to have seen him "blow up" my deer and to watch that buck strut around thinking "I'm bad...I'm bad"!

45Marlin carbine
May 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
after reading over these entrys I am minded of Mark Twain's (Samuel Clements Huckleberry Fin author) reply when someone told him the adage 'truth is stranger than fiction'.
he replied 'why should'nt truth be stranger than fiction?' - after all fiction has to make sense or nobody would read it!.

birdshot
May 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
hunting with my dad up a west texas draw, he with birdshot and me with a rifle in case we pushed out a javelina. we heard a rock roll just ahead in the draw. i moved higher on the side to get a better view while dad was to push through some brush. after a few seconds he fires and said he had got one. he had shot and killed a young javelina. the secret to eating javelina is cleaning the thing immediately so dad field dressed it. i was curious as what the bird shot had hit to kill the javelina so cleanly, and picked the heart from the gut pile. the heart appeared to be in good shape with maybe a couple of pellets in the muscle. i gave the heart a squeeze or two and it began to beat. and kept beating for quite a while.
now here is the funny part, when i told this story to my wife, i added the javelina had then got up and started to run off, requiring a second shot. she replied, "Really?" Which got dad to laughing so hard, he choked on his redman, which made be laugh and the wife to consider homicide.

hogdogs
May 21, 2008, 10:20 AM
Since not all wiminz are hunters I see it easier to get one to succumb to them stories... But yes they can contemplate murder pretty quick.
That is neat about the heart restarting... We used to do that with frog hearts when cleaning for frying...
Brent

Wyldman
May 21, 2008, 12:20 PM
Back when spotlighting and hunting rabbits was still legal in Texas without a license, we were driving down a deserted highway (literally deserted, it is MOL closed due to irreparable road damage) near the Hueco Mountains in the El Paso area. I was in the back of the truck as my buddy drove and as we rounded a blind corner, there in front of us stood the most beautiful Bull Elk I have ever seen! He wasn't 30 yds from us! We just sat there in AWE of this magnificent creature and were completely surprised to see him here. We don't have elk here (at least not back then) and he was as out of place as a saddle on a pig! He just stood there grazing on a patch of grass and was not concerned about our presence in the least. It wasn't until my buddy yelled at me out the window asking me what the heck it was that he turned and rambled off into the brush. I have never seen another elk here since.

support_six
May 22, 2008, 01:37 PM
I've told this somewhere on this site before but: As a teenager, hunting deer near my home in Utah, I was sitting against a rock, watching the opposite side of the draw before me. Down the ridge behind me I could hear what sounded like a baby rattle. It got louder and louder, and then I could hear voices. When the two men got even with me, there was no sense in trying to stay hidden any longer so I popped up and greeted these two knuckleheads. They were two out of state hunters from California, new boots, new clothes, new rifles with scopes, etc. I asked them what the rattling noise was. One spun around and showed me two aluminum canteens attached on opposite sides of his back. He told me one canteen was for water, and one was for M&M's! They had been snacking on their way for five miles and hadn't seen any deer. They claimed there were no deer in those woods and they were making their way back to their truck to leave.

BurkGlocker
May 22, 2008, 02:34 PM
I went hunting with my step son a few years back. Brandon is a VERY large kid, 6'7" with a head full of red hair and freckle faced. To tell the truth, he's a bit goofy...LOL, but anyways, this was his first ever hunting trip, and mind you this kid was at the time almost 21 years old. He didnt have a rifle so I let him borrow my 30-30 with a side mount scope on it, but warned him, it likes to 'flip back and bite you.' I dropped him off at this stand and left for mine, and not even an hour of sitting in the stand I hear him rock off a shot, then another, and then another. Well, i left my stand figuring he got his first deer and I should be there with him when he comes back. Well, on my way to pick him up, I see him in the distance, with that gangly walk he has, carrying a turkey by the legs, at an arms length from him and the rifle nestled on his shoulder. As I get closer to him i see that his face is COVERED in blood. Not only does he have one cresent shaped cut on his eyebrow, but two more right next to that one. I asked him if he got anything else besides the turkey. He says, "Nope, only this one, but man, he wouldnt stop moving after I shot him the first time, so I shot him twice more.' Poor kid was so excited he didnt even know he got 'bit' by that old 30-30, but he knew it from the headache he had the next day...:D

UniversalFrost
May 29, 2008, 02:44 PM
the deer I shot last year down here in AZ was small for my northern standards, but while I was field dressing it I had a suprise guest that wanted to debate with me over who got the deer.

The suprise guest was a jaguar. These critters are slowing coming back into arizona and new mexico and are rare with only a handful known to frequent the area. well he is perched on a rock outcropping about 20 yards away and I only noticed him when I was finishing up. Even when we locked eyes he didn't move. :eek: http://www.azgfd.gov/images/w_c/inline_jaguar.jpg

Now these suckers are not afraid or humans like most of the mt. lions we have in the area, so I made sure to bring my rifle close and chambered a round just in case. Jaguars are endangered so I was not gonna shoot him (unless of course he decided i would be on his menu). I ended up finishing up field dressing the deer and then started draggging it back to the truck. I kept on looking back and when I got a hundred yards away glassed the area with the gut pile and saw him feasting on the guts. Man I wish I had a camera that day.

reported the sitghting to the folks on post and to the AZ game and fish folks and that is something I will never foreget. Seeing that fine looking creature perched on the outcrop and staring straight at me (shivers each time I think about how big he was adn I could have easily been on the menu for him). :eek:

Here is a link to an article on one of the ranchers in Douglas AZ (only about 30 miles from me) that photo'd a few on the cats. and Here is a photo from one of the trail cams he has up in southern AZ. Jaguars are the third largest cat in the world (lions and tigers are bigger).
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/10/10/science/jaguar.2.600.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/science/10jaguar.html?ex=1318132800&en=09395a7ae2b41c95&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

shortwave
May 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
Universal, awesome story. That would be eeery:eek:! What a beautiful animal.

UniversalFrost
May 29, 2008, 06:16 PM
yes, and I hope to see more, but the sightings are a once in a lifetime thing sadly. The friggin mexicans still shoot these beautiful cats. :mad: I have no problem with the 4 legged illegals coming across the border :D, it's the 2 legged variety that leave trash all over the place and break into folks houses along the border, etc...

Me, I think the jaguars, bears and wolves that are coming from mexico to NM and AZ are just following an easy food supply of 2 legged illegals that get real tired from wandering in the desert and mt's to cross the border.

If I were to have a say I would gather up the jaguars in mexico and bring them north of the border then build the fence to keep them on the USA side and the 2 legged illegals on the mexican side. :cool:

Also, have had a few illegals down here run into some of the local bears and mt lions. I only wish we had more run in's like that so that we would have some fat and happy mt. lions and bears and a few less illegals to suck or country dry.

On another note. I was back up in South Dakota in the early 90's in the spring and was at the archery range at one of the state parks near yankton. They have a nice setup of trails that have varying conditions and then have lifelike targets of deer. This is a great way to practice. I was just approaching a target when all of the sudden a hen turkey busts out of the bushes and starts flapping her wings and scratching me up something fierce. I tried kicking her away but she kept coming and flapping all over me. Finally I took my bow and used it as a club and started whacking her with it just so I could knock her out or something and get the heck out of there. She eventually relented and I got hte heck out of there. Told one of the rangers about the incident and was suprised when he said I was the third guy that day to report the same thing at the same area. Our guess was she had some babies in the area and was just protecting them.

45Marlin carbine
May 29, 2008, 06:18 PM
great post #59 and thanks for not shooting the Jaguar. just hope he doesn't make a meal from somebody one day! I doubt I would have shot either.

UniversalFrost
May 29, 2008, 06:31 PM
yeah, I would never shoot one of these beautiful cats unless it was trying to eat me. PLus they are endangered and you would get a huge fine and jail time. Down in mexico they don't enfore the laws and the ranchers (and recently a cop) shoot them. Only reason I chambered a round was the fact that he looked real intent on coming down to meet me up close and I just wanted to be ready "just in case" .

I did leave him some extra meat (backstraps) and made a point of tossing them out in the open away from the guts and so he could see this when I was guttnig the deer since he probably would have passed up the guts anyway and just gone for me and the dead deer when I started to drag the deer away:eek:

hogdogs
May 30, 2008, 10:26 AM
Man, There been some good stories posted. Ya'll got me beat... Not alot of excitement or super stories here.

Universal, That Jag woulda been cool as heck to me as well even with my raised hackles... But that turkey hen woulda caught me well off guard! I am sure I woulda squealed like a blonde cheerleader at first but would have commenced to kick the head off her! I ain't no pro kicker but I woulda punted her with a vengeance that would have thrown my already bad knee out!:eek::D
Brent

hogdogs
May 30, 2008, 10:59 AM
Okay mine ain't as cool as some of ya'lls. My most recent...
Was my first time out since I rolled the Jeep cherokee over and mucked up my strong side left arm sumthin good (spelled BAD)... Went hog doggin' with my 18 year old buddy.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/caughthog/arm001.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/caughthog/arm003.jpg
I was still far from 100% (still am) but ready to hit the swamps. We were on a 3-4 thousand acre farm. Parked and walked a piece when I let "Deadly", my female catch dog, walk loose since she had settled down. I guess she had been loose near an hour when our curr dogs bayed up solid. Deadly took off full sprint for 400 or more yards, We get in there close and Cody let "Turbo", his catch dog, loose and we find them caught on a 200+ boar hog. I had to help Cody toss it cuz the 2 bulldogs and the hog's intentions to stay upright were resisting the tip. I had the hobbles in the with the tracking system and was having a tough time getting them out. Cody asked if I could hold the hog down. I said I would give it a whirl. I had his low side legs held good so cody went to pulling dogs off to prevent injury to either the dogs or hog as we wanted him alive. He got 3 dogs off and when the 4th one came off that hog slipped out of my left hand with his rear leg and from there it went sour... He stood up and I told Cody who had his back to us that the hog was loose. I thought sure he was gonna come after us but he was lookin' at easy escape so he bolted. I tell cody to release the dogs and as soon as he did we knew it was the wrong move. That hog would either haul the mail outta the county or fight the dogs harder next go 'round. We were HOURS and MILES from the truck before we got to the dogs... they were bayed up on a 200+ sow. We stuck her and gutted her in a clean creek and drug her a couple miles to the truck...
The Boar was well bigger than the sow but all in all it was a great first day back at it...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/caughthog/P1010893.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/caughthog/P1010892.jpg
Brent

BurkGlocker
May 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
Ah man... turkeys... It wsa my first hunt, I was all of 12 years old. Dad and I were walking to the blind and all we heard was turkeys, and ALOT of them. We got down on the ground, Army crawled to this berm, and there they were. There must have been 500 of these boogers, eating, clucking... JUST EVERYWHERE. So i level off with my .223, squeeze the trigger, and miss. I missed every single one of those turkeys, but that wasnt the kicker, it was when they all took flight, I just stared in amazment. Dad asks me, "You alright boy?" "Yessir, its just that...... I didnt know turkeys could fly..." I NEVER heard my Dad laugh so hard. God I miss that man... RIP Dad...

hogdogs
May 30, 2008, 12:46 PM
WMH, When Junior seen his first peacock at 14-15 yo he asked the owner if he could pluck a tail feather... Owner says sure if you catch him pull you a few... Ol' junior went into stealth mode... well as stealthy as a big goofy redneck boy does. He really just bent over a bit and tried to sneak up on it. It ran a few feet and junior went running... The look on his face when that bird took flight was priceless!:D He said "How in the heck can a dopey lookin' bird with 4 foot tail feathers fly so good?"
Brent

45Marlin carbine
May 30, 2008, 12:53 PM
great comeback story hogdogs good luck with your healing up process.

BurkGlocker
May 30, 2008, 01:03 PM
LOL hotdogs!!! My buddy's mother had 8 of those noisy devils. He was asleep one morning and that thing lit on his window sill and he threw his boot at it and rolled over and went back to sleep. At about noon he awoke to his mother screaming blue bloody murder. His boot apparently found the mark and killed his mother's favorite bird. Oops!:p

hogdogs
May 30, 2008, 02:06 PM
45, Thanks... And to think that around surgery 3 in 5-7 days I was about to ask fer that paper to sign so they could just cut my arm off. At that point I had less than a 50% chance of keeping it and if kept it would be useless...
If I ain't gonna feed a junk dog I didn't want an arm that was more parasite than asset. I have since that hunt, gotten further use but what I really gained that day was more awareness that I had to get creative in those moments and adapt. Today I would put a hobble on that leg and use it to augment my grip.
Brent

shortwave
May 30, 2008, 08:49 PM
Keep getting stronger hogdogs. sounds like your doing great for what you went through.;)

BurkGlocker
May 30, 2008, 11:22 PM
I am new to this forum, but I do extend my well wishes Hotdogs.

RangerM9
July 10, 2008, 09:53 PM
Well....my cousin was hunting with is this one time....the only time in-fact....he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and has a bit of Attention deficit problem....

so i am up on my stand (big ol pile of hay bales) at the top of the draw...after about 3 hours.....and walk about 200 yards down the draw where my cousin is on his stand......i come around the corner where he is, and find that he has completely disassembled his winchester 70.....i mean every bit that didn't take a hammer to get apart is apart......i just left him them and pushed the draw down to the other standers on my own......

next day he is out with us again.......This is in MT by the way.....and he comes across a BIG BIG Bull snake.....and he pulls out his .40 SW Sig and empties the mag at this snake that was no more than 6 feet from him......and never hit the dang thing!.....of course.....there was not a deer left in the area....the day was over

pick you hunting party well.....

djonathang
July 11, 2008, 12:32 AM
Story comes from my in-laws.

Apparently some folks were attending a lecture by a biologist at a national park. The biologist was explaining the importance of bear bells. A hand goes up. "How do you get the bells on the bears?"

xm21
July 12, 2008, 09:14 AM
Great story about the Jaguars!If anyone remembers the Ruger ads in the late eighties that had a beautiful girl holding a rifle,that was Warner Glenn's(the rancher in the story)daughter Kelly Glenn.

guntotin_fool
July 13, 2008, 02:37 PM
Just had one yesterday, I was sitting in a tree stand I am planning on hunting this fall, sorta scoping out what the view would be like etc, its a climbing stand, and I was just sitting there with the binocs, khaki pants and a brown shirt,. My little trucks was behind me just a few yards, and I hear a car coming down the road. The sound is coming from the other direction so I was waiting to see where they went, but the sound stopped a ways before they got to me.

Car stops, two HS/college age kids get out carrying a blanket, and well, do what kids do when they are sneaking off in the woods do...... after a while, they start collecting their clothes, and drive off.

I meanwhile, collected my trail cam chip and went home.... and NO I will not post the pics,

sc928porsche
July 20, 2008, 10:01 AM
20 or so years ago I went on an extended deer hunting vacation (three weeks). We were hunting public land and were also staying in a public campground. The season started about 2 weeks earlier than usual, so the campgrounds had not been vacated very long from the usual "summer" campers.
That evening after setting up camp, we had a visitor. A small doe. I suppose that previous campers had been feeding her so she had no problem at all with joining us at camp that evening and shareing our bounty (potatoes and lettus).
The following morning before dawn, we got up and headed out to do a little hunting. I struck out from camp on foot while the others left in their vehicles. I arrived at one of my "spots" and sat down and waited for the sun to come up.
There I was, overlooking a choke point between two meadows and watching intently for the first sign of horns when I heard something approaching from behind. To my shock, here comes this little doe and she proceeds to lay down not more than 5 feet away. She remained there untill I got up about 4 hours later to move to another area to hunt.
I spent the rest of the day hunting with this little doe following me around like a puppy dog. When I got back to camp, she was still in tow and stayed in camp all night with us. Next morning I got out of the tent only to find here waiting for all of us to get up.
After about 4 days of hunting from camp with my new found buddy, I decided to take a vehicle so that she wouldnt be able to follow as well. It worked and as luck would have it I got a nice buck that morning.
I spent the rest of my hunting vacation doing some fishing and in general enjoying the mountains with my new friend.

shortwave
July 20, 2008, 11:12 AM
Glad to see people are still posting their hunting or woods experiences on thread. They`re always exciting to read. Hey Porsche,sure we can`t convince you to post a few pics:D

TCman
July 20, 2008, 10:36 PM
I was bow hunting fall of 2006. My cousin was in the buddy stand with me filming. We were down in between two ridges. A skunk walked down the side of the ridge to our right, crossed the creek at the bottom of our stand, and up the ridge on our left. An hour later, another skunk walked the same way down the ridge on the right. When it came to the creek it look around for a min as it lost the scent trail or something. After it crossed the creek is went up the ridge to our left as the first one did. We got it all on film. When you are in the woods, sometimes you see some pretty amazing things.

Sidetracked
July 21, 2008, 12:06 AM
I was bow hunting fall of 2006. My cousin was in the buddy stand with me filming. We were down in between two ridges. A skunk walked down the side of the ridge to our right, crossed the creek at the bottom of our stand, and up the ridge on our left. An hour later, another skunk walked the same way down the ridge on the right. When it came to the creek it look around for a min as it lost the scent trail or something. After it crossed the creek is went up the ridge to our left as the first one did.

That's just a glitch in the Matrix. They changed something.... :)

Yithian
July 21, 2008, 06:57 PM
LOL Sidetracked.
I was thinking the same thing.

We be Geeks.

Kreyzhorse
July 22, 2008, 06:51 AM
I spent the rest of the day hunting with this little doe following me around like a puppy dog.

That's a good story....

Buzzard
July 22, 2008, 08:53 AM
Way back .....when I was 16 I went deer hunting in SC.
Found me a place on a small hill overlooking a creek that had a nice crossing
with lots of tracks.
I marked it and left to come back in the "early" morning. I had tied a small
string to the stump I was going to sit on and run it out to where I was gonna park.
Got to the parking area about 4 am, found my string and followed it to my stand. I sit down and waited for daylight. as it was getting lighter and lighter I saw a small buck walking towards me on the other side of the creek. He stopped at the crossing and I raised my rifle , I waitied for him to step out from behind a pine tree. Just as he cleard the tree I pulled the hammer back and then BOOOM, the guy in the tree stand above me shot him.
We both shot about the same time and scared the #$&*out of us both.
He had fallen asleep and had no idea I was at the base of the tree and I had no idea he was in the tree above me.
We split the meet and was both happy.
I am a little more carefull when I choose a stand now.

TPAW
July 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
While hunting in the northern region of the iron ore mines of NY, I happened across 4 guys living in a cave, dressed like street people, obviously out of place. Made light of it but watched my back as I moved on to a ranger station and notified them. Turns out they were wanted for felony crimes.

pwelsh4hd
July 23, 2008, 09:09 PM
Back somewhere around 1976, early spring in southern Missouri, my grandad saw some helicopters flying low and slow back-forth over the area. This was before they were really using helo to search for pot fields around there, we didn't see helicopters ever around that area, so he was mildly curious about what they were up to as this went on for about 2-weeks, then stopped. Fast forward to that winter, I was about 10 years old and went squirrel hunting with Grandad back in the woods on his place. As we walked out of a small gully, we saw something large and red, lightly covered with some leaves, about 50 yards ahead of us. When we got up to it, we saw it was a large RC plane, as I remember probably about 5'x7', no markings on it. We hauled it back to his place, put it on the back porch and called the Sheriff to report what we found. The next day the Sheriff with a couple of "suits" arrived in an unmarked car and a flatbed, thanked us for finding it, and gave us a $100 for reporting it. They loaded it on the flatbed, covered it with a tarp, and took off. It never showed up in the papers or anything, but the Sheriff was able to tell us just a little...turns out it was some government thing, whatever the plane was for/doing, had gotten away from them last spring and the helo's were out looking for it (nothing in the papers about that either). Apparently it had made a crash landing on my Grandad's place, and they could never see it under the leaf canopy of the woods that spring, and abandoned the search. They had plans to come back and search again when the leaves had fallen, but hadn't gotten back to it yet. I still wonder what that RC plance was for, and wish we had thought to take a picture of it (or maybe best we hadn't?)

TPAW
July 24, 2008, 10:15 AM
Probably testing a recon RC plane for the purpose of taking photos. Do you remember seeing anything on it that resembled a camera lense?

pwelsh4hd
July 24, 2008, 10:31 AM
Nah..I was only around 10yrs old, and don't remember anything specific about it, just general stuff..big, red, no other markings. I was just happy to get my cut of the reward for reporting it found :D. My grandad has since passed away or I'd ask him what he recalled.

camper4lyfe
September 3, 2008, 04:25 PM
My brother-in-law told me this story, and I laugh at him about it (I laugh at him a lot, but that's another story). He had climbed up a tree and sat in his stand. Roughly 15 minutes later he hears a rustling in the tree above him, and bark starts hitting him in the head. He looks up to see a raccoon climbing down the tree toward him. Needless to say, he didn't wait to see what the raccoon was going to do, and at the same time, cleared the woods of any deer that might have been there.

Another time, my brother-in-law and I were heading out into the woods behind my parents' house to squirrel hunt. I had my dad's old single shot 20ga, and I believe my BIL had my dad's single shot .22. In the woods is a clearing where a neighbor had built a tree mansion that has since collapsed. As we get halfway across the clearing, we both see a squirrel jump onto a tree and start climbing up. My BIL says "squirrel" as I'm simultaneously shouldering and cocking the 20ga, and without even thinking, I pull the trigger, only to hit the squirrel, and launch it roughly 5' back from the tree. I'm still amazed at that shot.

2 years ago, I was behind my parents' house bow hunting. I'm not seeing much within shot distance until out of nowhere, a 5-point pops out of the brush, 15 yds away. I get set, site in between two trees, waiting for it to step through. I release the arrow, and it flies directly over its back. CRAP. It takes off, and I don't see anything the rest of the morning. As I get ready to climb out of the tree, a squirrel pops up and starts rummaging around below my stand. I put my broadhead away and knock a field tip. I draw back, aim, and hit that squirrel right square in the brisket. It lets out a shriek and starts to climb the tree next to be, with my arrow sticking out of it! I'm sitting there thinking to myself, #1, I can't hit a deer, but I can hit a squirrel, and #2, the dang squirrel's going to steal my arrow! As the squirrel heads up the tree, the arrow pops out and clanks to the ground. I still shake my head at that one...

I've only been hunting for a handful of years, so that's all the stories I've got.

shaman
September 5, 2008, 12:36 AM
some amazing and hilarious stories here in this thread, glad i noticed it!

there had been some clearing done to what would one day be lake livingston in eastern texas.

i was a wee tyke, taggin along with dad that day because he was gonna stay pretty close to the truck on a low ridge(very low) that gave a great view.

one of my uncles was visiting and dad set him up with the old 30-30 and when we arrived, took him down to the stand dad had selected for him.

once it came daylight we could see where the uncle was literally sitting on the steps of an old woods shack.

time passed and at not long after good daylight an entire herd of deer came zippin out of the brush right at him. i could see the deer when dad said to look. to me it looked like all the deer in the world bouncing around out there. i guess it must have been nine or ten or so of them.

the uncle jumps up off the steps, runs at the deer and stops, we could see him sorta dancing around and turning back and forth and neither of us had any idea what was happening as we heard no shots.

the deer made it through the opening and were all gone and dad decides to go see what in the world just happened.

i tagged along of course.

got down there and the uncle commences to cuss dad for giving him a crooked shooting rifle.

dad asks him how many times he had shot.

uncle says he emptied the gun, all seven rounds.

dad points out seven unfired 30-30 shells scattered around.

he had jacked every shell out on the ground thinkin he was firing, was so excited never noticed there was no recoil or sound.

i knew to keep my little kid mouth shut, never even laughed.

second tale.

long long years after that, as a teenager, dad and i drove up to a small clearing on a lease we had just south of livingston.

got out walked out a bit, dad gets up on a big pine stump for a better view, then whips the shotgun up and let one off. he stood there a moment, then fired again.

he later said a deer had gotten up, he saw horns and he let one off, then saw the deer still standing and let another one off.

when we walked over to the edge of the clearing there was a four pointer dead right there, but a big blood trail leading off. about a hundred feet away we found a doe wrapped around a small tree.

he had shot the buck, seen it go down, then saw the doe and thought the buck had gotten back up. said he never thought to even look for horns on the second shot as he had done shot the danged thing once.

fortunately he was able to legally tag both deer as we had doe permits for the lease(back then it was two bucks, then does if ya had permits for them).

kiloxj
September 6, 2008, 08:39 AM
man i had a guy during bow sseason tresspassing, i was already setup in the tree and scouting when i saw a guy litereally right below me. The thing was it was 30 min till dark so i had no chance at deer....haha so i started grunting, he froze, then moved to some ground cover, after that he saw a laser on his chest and decided to leave. HUM, i wonder where that comae from> never have ssen the guy again. I mean the look on his face when he couldnt pinpoint the laser was priceless. MAn it fun. Then he was arrested crosssing the road, evidently he had a conceled firearm along with the bow and was a convcted felon.

JRNC26
September 6, 2008, 04:43 PM
Last November I was sitting in my stand.The sun had just started to come up and it was putting some light in the tree tops.About 40 yards in front of my stand is a huge sycamore tree. at the very top was a squirrel barking and making all kinds of noise. i watched it for a few mins then all of the sudden this owl swoops in and grabs it. while flying off you could still here the squirrel raising he**.I laughed like an idiot for a long time after that.

Death from Afar
September 8, 2008, 02:36 AM
LOL- in a covert OP while in the army, we observed an enemy dude getting VERY friendly :barf: with a goat through our NVG! :barf::barf::barf::barf:

Tuzo
September 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
About 1964, when I was young and living in New Jersey, I passed a hunter saftey course, bought a 12-gauge Mossberg from Montgomery Wards, and went deer hunting for the first time. It was mid-December, very early morning, and very cold with snow on the ground. I sat in a depression for about one-hour scanning the thick woods around me until my feet became numb. Did not spot a single animal. I gave up and stood up and a two point buck and a doe appeared about ten yards in front of me. I pointed the Mossberg but had no clear shot and, after a quick moment of hesitation, the deer ran off. I was not too happy. Then I heard a clatter in their direction and ran to the noise. This is what I saw: a narrow gravel pathway, a 6-foot chain link fence surrounding Lakehurst Naval Air Station (USN was still flying lighter-than-air airships from Lakehurst), and a buck with antlers stuck in the chain link. From the hoof marks I determined that the doe made a successful turn at the fence but the buck lost his footing and skidded into the fence antlers first. Was it humane to either hop the fence and untangle the buck or walk away? Not at all. From about 2-yards I blasted the stuck buck.

I felt a bit embarassed about shooting a sitting duck (or buck) and, for many years, I could not tell the story of my first deer without saying that I heroically tracked and stalked a New Jersey whitetail through the oaks and swamps of Manchester Township.

kjack
September 8, 2008, 11:30 AM
A friend and I were out before dawn on the Horicon Marsh (WI) setting out decoys and waiting for the sun to rise. As sometimes happens, as the sun rose, the temperature went DOWN enough to freeze the decoys in place. Rats!!

No ducks came to investigate, but a coot came in to join the party, butt end first. He skidded about ten feet, then managed to stand up. The look was an absolute perfect "What the heck!!!" moment.:p

Leaving was equally exciting until he found a bit of open water for his takeoff run.

Didn't get a shot all day, but I have a memory for a lifetime.

zahnzieh
September 8, 2008, 10:32 PM
During archery season early I put on coon urine cover scent, walk to my stand and climb in. Just before dusk 3 huge coons come out of the woods following my footsteps exactly, get to my tree and start circling the tree snarling and spitting up a fuss!! They continue doing this for a good hour and i wasnt about to waste a good arrow! I finally started yelling and throwing branches at them and they take off. Must of been she-coon-in-heat urine i put on and i smelled mighty pretty to them!!:D

PawDaddy
September 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
This happened back in the early 90's.

We hunted public land that had very little pressure.

I had a stand that we had built just off a good trail. It was a permanent stand that was in three small trees that were close to each other. It was about 10-12 feet off the ground.

Being disabled, I had to use my 4-wheeler to get to my stand. There were some bushes that were close to my stand that I could "hide" my 4-wheeler behind while I was hunting.

One day I was on stand and I heard something coming up the trail. It was a doe with a little one. They both stopped right at the top of the hill, with the little one staying a little farther back than mama.

The doe has spotted my 4-wheeler. She really stared it down. As time went on, she began to blow and stomp at it. She did this for a little while from her original position. Then she started going around the 4-wheeler and doing the blowing/stomping routine from different positions.

I could tell that she was getting very frustrated. No matter what she did, she could not get the 4-wheeler to move!

It was getting pretty late, so I decided to make some "noise" to get her to move along.

There is no telling how long she would has stayed there "challenging" the strange "creature"!

tokarev762
September 17, 2008, 01:22 PM
Last weekend of deer season a while back. I was watching a game trail down by the lake, when I heard something crashing through the brush off to one side of the trail. After a bit, I see a guy dragging his bike through the bushes. He was wearing a bright yellow bicycle helmet tee shirt and spandex bike shorts. The bicycle was a road bike, not a mountain/trail bike.
As I watched, he was like he was aining for every bush and vine. Crossed over the game trail without noticing it. (This path was an old worn down one that two people could walk side-by-side without touching). He had his head down and didn't look up until he got a few feet from the water. I stood up from where I was sitting and waited for him to pass by me. When he was a couple of feet away, I cleared my throat and tried not to laugh when he jumped. He looked at me and said "Oh! Are you hunting?".

I was dressed head to toe in camo and was holding a .50 cal. muzzleloader.

I just pointed, told him "The road is that way" and sugested he follow the game trail (he could of rode his bike on it!). Instead, he walked off in the general direction of where I was pointing, dragging his bike straight through the bushes and vines. Sheesh!

globemaster3
September 19, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'll share 2.

First, I was bowhunting down in FL with a buddy of mine many moons ago. We were hunting within sight of each other, working 2 separate cuts out of the swamp separated by palmettos. He chose to wear this "essence of coon" as a cover scent. We had also bought a pair of these voice activated headset walkie talkies from radio shack so we could talk.

I saw something moving behind him, but its so far away, I could not tell what it was. So, I tell him over our radios. Said 4-legged critter continues to approach the trail leading to his stand. Finally my buddy sees it: a large coon!

Said fat coon hits the trail and freezes, sniffing the ground. Then he turns and walks up the trail to the foot of my buddy's stand. Sitting at the foot of the stand, this thing begins growling at him! I can hear it from 100 yds away. Well, this coon is really ******, and climbs a tree right next to my bud, getting at eye level, and just growls at him for 10 minutes. That did it. Arrow knocked, by bud starts drawing and said coon makes for the top of the tree. We lost him up there and couldn't find where it went. Lucky day for that critter!

The second had to do with some of my football buds. Out west of town, it was common for the game warden to put out a fake buck we nicknamed "Timex" (since it took a lickin and... you know) to catch poachers.

Well, these buds of mine get all hopped up after a game on Friday night and go cruisin out west when they see old Timex from the road. They trolled past and dropped a couple off who worked their way back to the spot where Timex was standing. In coordination, they both took off running and tackled old Timex on the spot. Immediately, a couple million candlepower spotlights turn on and the warden starts yelling "Boys, what in the @### are you doin?" The warden let them go, and the pickup vehicle trolled back by and got them. I imagine that warden must have laughed his rear off over that!

hogdogs
September 19, 2008, 09:20 AM
I bet them wardens peed their uniforms!
Brent

8t6gt
September 27, 2008, 09:14 PM
Mines probly not that odd. But I was 14 and it was my first year being able to rifle hunt in Michigan. And a huge! Grey Wolf walked out on me when I was in my blind. Keep in mind northern Michigan DNR states we DO NOT have any grey wolfs in the northern lower LP :rolleyes: riiiiiight

teeroux
September 27, 2008, 11:46 PM
Found a sensor box to a weather balloon hanging from some trees on one of our club's lease roads.

Removed the battery and put it in a mailbox as per the instructions on the side of the box.

jhgreasemonkey
September 27, 2008, 11:54 PM
I had a deer turn to look and hiss at me like a snake before it bolted off. Another off the wall incindent is when a huge striped skunk charged my hunting partner coming within less than a foot of him when he jumped out of the way. :D I am sure glad he didnt spray!

Yithian
September 28, 2008, 03:15 AM
Anytime you see a skunk moving about in daylight, or it attacks rather than run, KILL IT!
It is very likely to have rabies.

They are nocturnal and defensive animals normally.

fbrown333@suddenlink
September 28, 2008, 07:22 AM
WOW! talk about coincidence, I just came home this morning from work (I work nights) and found a coon by my trash cans. Instead of leaving like they usually do this one got agressive towards me so I walked into the house grabbed the gun and shot it. He just didn't act right if you know what I mean.
I was raised in the sticks so I know what i'm talking about when it comes to saying he wasn't right.

TENWHEELER
September 28, 2008, 11:17 AM
I was rabbit hunting on an island in the middle of one of the neighboring rivers. My buddy has a female that is one of the best jump dogs that I have seen in a while. She opened up on a swamp rabbit and the pack turned him back toward us. We were standing beside a small pond that was extremely swampy. The rabbit came out of the woods and dove in the little pond. My buddy's dog bailed in behind him and started swim-chasing him. It soon became apparent that there were weeds under the water trying to drag both animals down. They quickly became exhausted and the below picture is a result of what happened next.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/Masonkennels/Daisy-Rabbitjpg.jpg

Yes, they are touching on the log!!!

After a couple minutes of resting the rabbit swam away but we had to go in and get my buddy's dog. She was too worn out to swim any more.

Bowhunter57
September 28, 2008, 08:52 PM
As good of a climber as a squirrel is, you just can't imagine them falling out of a tree.

While sitting in a treestand, waiting on a deer, I seen a fox squirrel fall about 40+ yards to the ground. :p I tried to keep it down, but was finding it difficult not to laugh out loud. He made a "thud" sound when he hit the ground and he didn't get up and run off either. After laying there for about 10 minutes he slowly walked back to the tree. He sat at the base of the tree for another 5 minutes, before slowly beginning his accent into the branches.

I felt a little sad for him, but there was nothing to be done, but watch. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

hogdogs
September 28, 2008, 09:06 PM
Great pic of the hound and bunny!
That squirrel reminded me of the game I liked to play when I would see a squirrel on a wire either beside or crossing the road I would toot the air horns on my dumptruck which were well tuned and watch them skitter shag away... Once I had one fall off and hit him with the windshield... DRT is what he was.
So I expanded my folly to include the twist open bridge operator... He had a shack dead center of the bridge overhead to watch for passing boats... He listened for 2-3 toots from the distance to alert of coming vessels. One evening as the sun set I was rollin onto the bridge section that rotates and let go with "OH MY GAWD OPEN THE BRIDGE QUICK BEFORE I WRECK MY TUG BOAT" sort of blast... He was watching the TV as I seen his feet on his desk thru the window lit up with the blue TV light... When he heard that horn blast his feet lifted about 2 feet off the desk as he overturned in his chair which I guess was likely a lowback rolling office chair with reclining back section as they are easy to upset. In my mirror I seen thru the other window as he jumped up shaking his "YOUR NUMBER ONE" symbol to me to tell me how cool I was for that...
Brent

zahnzieh
September 30, 2008, 10:55 PM
Archery hunting onelate season - had my hang-on tree stand on a good tree on a fence row , only larger tree to hang a stand- pinch point - snow had fallen night before. I walk to my stand and climb in - 20 min later i hear all kind of noise, something walking my direction - thinking buck of a lifetime. This hunter dude comes crashing through the corn-field following my footsteps carrying a boW. He gets to the fence row following my tracks and gets to the base of the tree i'm sitting in - and he stands there puzzled why the tracks have stopped - he's scanning the surroundings@! After 2 minutes of this I give out a loud PSSSST - he jumps - then says -" Hey man , good place for a treestand" then continues crashing through the cornfield - what a Hunyuck!!

mnshortdraw
October 3, 2008, 02:16 AM
I have been in the middle of a huge owl migration and seen dozens in a single day flying silently through the woods. I saw a nice 8 point deer shed an antler, i still have it. One year I stepped on a 77 inch non typical shed antler in 20 inches of snow. It poked me in the ankle as I was trying to get a clean shot on a deer. Got a 136" archery buck on Halloween last hear and a 144" 8 pointer on Christmas also with my bow. A few years ago I hunted a huge deer rub on a tree. I hunted it hard for a week until a dinky yearling moose walked up with his spikes and proceeded to tend his rub. I had never hunted an area with moose so it didn't cross my mind that moose could have done it. I saw a huge black mink looking creature moving very quickly and quietly through the brush last year and determined it was probably a fisher. Very neat looking animal. I saw a treed cougar in an area where they aren't supposed to live. Many of my fondest memories are hunting and fishing or outdoor related. Sad that kids don't even play outside anymore. Hunting and fishing license sales are declining from year to year in many states. I encourage everyone to take a kid or just someone new hunting or fishing, and promote it to it's fullest.

thinkingman
October 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
Great stories, guys.
If you have a few hours to kill, try this one....http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441

Mavrik
October 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
As good of a climber as a squirrel is, you just can't imagine them falling out of a tree.

Unless the branch they're sitting on breaks.

Your story reminded me. A good number of years ago I was deer hunting with my father and we were both sitting on the edge of a field watching a couple of large and ancient fox squirrels (we nicknamed them Arthur and Ritus). In the course of watching, one of them stopped and sat on an fairly small dead limb of the Cottonwood tree they lived in. He wasn't there but a few seconds before the branch broke and Squirrel and branch headed downward. That would have been funny enough on it's own but literally as soon as the branch broke that squirrel started barking at the branch and kept it up all the way to the ground. My father and I were rolling because it literally sounded like he cussed it out for breaking on him all the way down.

Mav

camper4lyfe
October 10, 2008, 02:13 PM
I've seen squirrels fall out of trees. They'll often run from branch to branch between trees. Everyone once in a while, they'll miss that 2nd branch, and down they go with a thud, and a bounce. They usually get right back up and head straight back up the tree.

It never ceases to amaze me how tough squirrels are.

FrontSight
October 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
Went small game hunting once with my uncle and a family friend and we found a bicycle just sitting on the side of a trail. Looked around & didn't see anyone, so the fam friend takes it for a quick a ride down the path about 20 yards or so, just goofing around. Then we notice the young couple (teens) sitting on a blanket off to the side behind some bushes, pretty well hidden; too well hidden to just be having a picnic.

They must have been too scared (or more likely embarrassed?) to ask us not to take joy rides on their bike, please, HAHAHHAHA.. :D

Once we noticed them we put the bike back where we found it & didn't say anything to them, figured no need to make it any more awkward than it already was.

LOL, ah to be young again!

hogdogs
October 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
Scrap, I just didn't worry so much about my bike back then... ya'll coulda kept it.
Seriously if that was in Louisiana in the 80's it coulda been me... I taught lots of girlfriends how to enjoy the woods while avoiding fire ants and yeller jacket nests...:D;) I was real good at pickin' sticks outta that lovely long hair and makin' sure they weren't takin' ticks home to the dogs...
Brent

FrontSight
October 10, 2008, 03:34 PM
LOL, you are a pisser, hogdog!

But nah, this was in upstate NY, near Middletown, around 1993 or so. Actually, what the heck am I talking about...they were about my age at the time. And she was pretty cute, what the heck was I doing hunting instead of hanging out on a blanket with a cutie like her of my own?? :confused:

GE-Minigun
October 10, 2008, 05:38 PM
Years ago while deer hunting it started to snow, since I forgot to pack rain gear I started to look for a pine tree to get under. After couple minutes found one (50 foot +/- remember this) that was really dense in the top so the snow would be awhile before it started to fall through. After a couple hours the snow was now working its way through with about an inch or more under the tree. Shortly there after I had enough...started to gather my stuff when I heard something. Since it was snowing I wasn't sure what could be coming through the woods and making the noise it was making...at the time I was hunting with a pistol, in the case a 44 mag and was hoping it was enough gun. Couple seconds later this comes flying by about 10 feet above the tree I'm standing under.

The local air base had them and they were/are required to fly over and through the mountain range I was hunting around. Needless to say it put a warm feeling in my pants. Through the years I had the chance to see F15's. 16's, 18's, A-10's, AC-130's and some others.

bufordtjustice
October 10, 2008, 09:58 PM
My brother and I were deer hunting a few years ago and we were sitting on a hill overlooking a creek. A doe walked up to the creek for a drink and was casually looking around. My brother took a shot with his 30-30 from maybe 50 yards and completely misses. I still don't know how he pulled that one off. The deer looks up and around for a few seconds and doesn't even move. Then she goes back to drinking. For some reason, my brother decided not to shoot again. Maybe it was me laughing at him as hard as I could. We ended up rezeroing his rifle later which was off by a few inches.

SWMAGMAN
October 12, 2008, 01:14 AM
Had previously filled my buck tag and was looking for that perfect 'meat' doe while bowhunting. Picked one out of a passing line of deer just before twilight and let fly from my treestand...looked like a good shot, but decided to wait a couple hours to track. Back out in the woods,( with a headlight for tracking as is now completely dark) and I encounter an obvious blood trail, which quickly becomes very confusing and it feels like I'm going in circles. I decide to get off the blood and begin a series of circles to pick up the trail further on. Soon, in my headlight beam, a deer lurches to its feet and stands looking at me...obviously gutshot, and a fawn to boot. I turn off my light, sit down and contemplate what has happened...I'm nearly sick at myself for such a poor shot AND misidentifying the deer to begin with. Unwilling to let the animal suffer further, I do all I can at that point and kill it with my knife (which, believe me, doesn't make me feel any better...). I tag and dress the fawn, and begin to drag it out, feeling like total trash...my headlight beam catches a reflection off to the side, and there lies a dead doe. You got it - the arrow was a classic double lung shot on the doe, but after passing thru, the broadhead managed to slit the belly of a fawn following on the back side of her.. Lucky I had tags for both! Lesson learned - be aware of what is beyond your target - even while bowhunting.

sc928porsche
October 16, 2008, 08:20 AM
Many, Many years ago my sister had a boyfriend who she wanted me to take hunting. To those who have sisters, you know that refusal is not an option unless you want to spend a lifetime in repentance. She kept at it untill I gave in. To top this off, I discover that he has never been hunting but had completed his HS course. He goes to the DF&G, gets his licence and tag so now I am really stuck with taking him along. Please dont get me wrong, I am all for new hunters, but this guy just seemed to be a bubble off plumb.

We get into position just before daylight and watch the sun start to come up. You know, the perfect scene! It was gorgeous! Well, out steps this beautiful 4pt Mulie just as nice as you please, no more than 35yds from us.

The young man in question raises the old M1 he borrowed from his dad and Boom! The buck leaps straight into the air and lands with all 4 in motion. About 6 or 7 leaps and boom again. Nothing.

The kid is shaking from all the adreneline and my ears are ringing to the point of almost being deaf. He asks me how could he miss. To be honest, I had no answer. I think he could have brought the buck down using that old rifle as a club.

We start looking the rifle over and when the bolt was opened, I look down at the magazine and discover that he had loaded it with "blanks". I asked him where he got the ammo, and he said that they were on the shelf next to the rifle.

I am rather glad that my sister quit dateing him a couple of months later.

Legionnaire
October 22, 2008, 02:38 PM
Great stories! (Can't believe I just took the time to read the entire thread ...) Bring back good memories.

I've seen the "squirrel fall out of a tree" happen. Gusty day in late archery season (NY) and a squirrel 40 feet up leapt for a branch that the wind took out of its reach. Thumped pretty hard and was evidently dazed for a while before it slunk off ... almost looked embarassed!

Had a chickadee land on the bill of my hat during archery season and hang down looking at my camoed face trying to figure out what I was.

Straddling a low stone wall, also in archery season, had a squirrel run the top of the wall, right between my legs.

Early archery season coincides with fall turkey season in some portions of NY. One fall, if I had my bow with me, I saw turkey, and if I took my shotgun, I saw deer. One afternoon while deer hunting, I saw a flock of turkey go to roost. So I figured I'd turkey hunt the next morning. I set up down hill from the flock, but not far enough away from the roost. When they flew down, they flew down all around me. Quite a sight!

Saw a red tailed hawk kill a squirrel on the ground in front of one of my tree stands.

Have seen several coyotes. Good memories all!

FrontSight
October 22, 2008, 10:47 PM
Reminds me of similar things...

Had a chickadee hop onto my boots once...

Had a red tailed hawk's wing graze the tree right next to my ear as it flew from behind me, 30 feet up in my treestand, then land less than 11 feet from me. I stared for a few moments and couldn't keep from uttering "holy sh*t!"...it turned to look at me in all camo, and I swear its eyes grew big as saucers from amazement. It flew off screeching once, landed a few yards away, and screeched again. That would have been something else to see if I had been looking behind me when it flew towards me!

siv
October 22, 2008, 11:48 PM
Four years ago I was slug hunting deer. I was posting on the edge of a corn field and there were a few guys walking a waterway that curved toward where I was posting. They spooked a medium size six pointer out. It ran straight toward me. I fired once and missed high, the second shot blew out its front leg but it was still moving pretty good. I missed two more shots but finally when it was fifteen feet away from me I settled down and took aim. I was on the top of a little knoll and the deer was right below me. I put the slug right between its shoulder blades and it did a 180 degree spin.

lanham70
December 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
When i was about 14 or 15 my grandfather and i were squirrel hunting.. i had shot and wounded one and it ran up into a hollow tree. My grandpa shoved a stick into the tree in an attempt to run in out the top so i could finish it....instead it feel on to his arm and preceded to attack until he shook it off .. finally the zombie squirrel was bagged.

JonnyReb
December 12, 2008, 08:52 PM
Went hunting as a kid with a buddy on a farmers land. As were walking beside a field, we see a shiny round object, maybe 3 feet across, protruding out of the ground. A brown shiny dome.

We step on it. It was hard. We stand on it. it bounces. We bounce on it...and start to smell something very bad. Faint but bad.

We confer and decide the best thing to do is to shoot it. Jacky fires with his .22 and all of the sudden we hear a tremendous release of pressure, a burst of steam but no visible....The worst smell we've still to this day ever smelled surrounded us so completely...clung to us. The hising was loud. We ran.

All the way back to Mr. Jack Kerr, who's farm we were walking. We told him the story and he tipped his hat back with great consideration, looks at the sky then at us.

" Sounds like you boys popped one of them dead cows i buried back there last spring...guess i shoulda gona little deeper"

ken22250
December 13, 2008, 01:46 PM
woodchuck hunting in pa, i went arround a bush next to a small pond, saw a chunk about 10 yards away, and shot, the chuk lifted off the ground 3-4', and did a backflip, landing about 3 feet back from wear i shot, i shot through the chuck, the bullet hit the ground, and expoleded, it was a .243win with a 60 gr sierra HP at 3600FPS.
ken

Jseime
December 14, 2008, 02:21 AM
Three or so years ago I was hunting with my buddy in my parents truck (I had a two wheel drive at the time).

I had a big mule deer doe on the ground with a 150 grain .270 SP in her at about 300 yards. Out of nowhere comes my familys golden lab "Flash" and he is headed straight for the deer. Turns out I made a bad hit and she got up and took off with Flash in hot pursuit. The dog gave up on her and came back to us and when we tried to track her we had no luck at all... that is the only deer that has ever escaped me once hit.

The strangest thing about this whole story is that Flash never leaves the farm unless he is in the back of a truck. He has never roamed around or even gone down to the neighbours less than half a mile away. He had never done anything like that before and never has again to this day. I still remain completely baffled by the whole thing. He is not much good for hunting either... just the happiest dumbest dog you may ever meet, cant stay mad at the big doofus no matter how hard you try.