PDA

View Full Version : 300 yd coyote shots

Dusty Rivers
April 30, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have a pasture on a hill side about 300 yds from my back porch as the bullet flies. Lately I have a group of coyotes that have been showing themselves during the day. This is very unusual. I can hear them at night, but they are not out during the day. Anyway for a 300 yd shot should I use a 25-06 or a 7mm Remington mag. Both are sakos equipped with good quality scopes.

Or should I hunt them in a different manner.

I have wild hogs that tear up everything and I never see them either.

Scorch
April 30, 2008, 12:48 PM
Either one will make the shot. 300 yds is not a long way. But just so you know, once you shoot at them during the day, they will avoid coming around there in the daytime. Also, as you probably already figured out, hogs are crepuscular (nocturnal) in most areas where they get pressured. But you can hunt them right at sunrise.

ELMOUSMC
April 30, 2008, 02:13 PM
Dusty:I don't know where you are located but it sounds like you all are experiencing the same thing that is going on here in Iowa.Day light sightings and aggressive behavior.If it were me I would go with the .300 mag good luck and good shooting ELMOUSMC

Full-choke
April 30, 2008, 02:14 PM
If I were picking between the two, I would pick the one that you are most comfortable shooting at ranges like that. 300 yards isn't a "long" shot by any means, but it is still something you want to be sure of when aiming to kill something.

+1 at the shooting during the day. You can pull that off once, maybe twice and they will get smart and either move on or stay the heck away. The other thing is are you sure they are Coyotes not a pack of strays? My buddy saw a pack of about 1/2 dozen stray dogs, nothing but nasty mutts and dogs out on a rampage (also worth taking care of) but they will come out in the day with a lot less worry.

F-C

Inspector3711
April 30, 2008, 04:06 PM
.25-06... Less recoil and enough power to drop a deer past 300. It'll knock a coyote into next week at 300 yards... 7mm mag is probably overkill but would work fine too.. At 300 a .223 will work.

ForneyRider
May 22, 2008, 01:37 PM
.25-06. You can shoot more with less sore of a shoulder.

However, I am loading some 120gr at around 3000fps for some varmint ammo for my 7mm Mag. When I loaded the 120gr up to 3500fps, I got one sore shoulder after 40 rounds.

L_Killkenny
May 23, 2008, 04:46 PM
300 yards is a chip shot at a standing coyote. Shoot the most accurate gun you have and drop em.

LK

ed2006
June 9, 2008, 09:29 PM
Can dogs be used to hunt Coyotes or do you need to shoot them? We have Coyotes in the east ( PA) and I have not seen them in Philly but sooner or later they will come out in the open here and eat the garbage. So can you get Coyotes with dogs , since using a gun in the City is not a great idea.

Thanks for any replies
Ed

Scorch
June 9, 2008, 11:18 PM
So can you get Coyotes with dogs They had better be well-trained, aggressive, and in great shape. Coyotes hunt down and kill stuff for a living. I met a guy in NV who used greyhounds to course coyotes with great success, but a greyhound weighs 2-3 times what a coyote weighs, so it was no challenge to kill the coyotes when they caught them. But you hear all the horror stories of somebody's pet schnauzer or bird dogs chasing after coyotes and never coming back that you kind of figure out that they are smart, tough, and they know their business.

If you want to hunt them inside city limits, take up archery.

hoytinak
June 9, 2008, 11:25 PM
Inside the city limits just setup some live traps. In the towns around here you can call up animal control, they will give you some live traps to use and when you trap one just give them another call to come pick it up.

hogdogs
June 10, 2008, 08:22 AM
Dustyrivers, Here is what I would do... Laws be damned! I would sour up a bag of corn. Place it near the freshest of hog damage. There are some real bright led (red) lights to hunt under. If I shot a boar I would drag it to where you are seeing the 'yotes but a bit closer in from 300yds. If it were a sow or small pig I would butcher it out and eat it.
Brent

hogdogs
June 10, 2008, 08:27 AM
ed, The type of hunting involving dogs is a VERY SPECIALIZED affair. They don't call them "decoy dogs" for nuttin':eek: Very specialized training. The yotes and dogs will be in a fight for their life when you get in there. I couldn't use my hog catching bulldogs as they would jump on one yote and get their butt tore up by the 3 others...
Google (coyote dog hunting decoy) might give some hits..
Brent

djonathang
June 10, 2008, 08:56 AM
Dusty,

If I were you, I'd get a group of friends, each pick one of those bugger, and on the count of three, take out the entire "group". They won't be coming back in the day or night after that.

DG

ed2006
June 10, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies , I will definitely be careful with the dogs as they are house pets.

Archery is not an option as we have small yards and by the time we get outside they are gone. I am not silent enough, but I can keep the garbage cans out of reach. One problem solved . when I walk the dogs I will be careful .

You guys have good advice , it can only come from the experience of hunting these coyotes.

Ed

hogdogs
June 10, 2008, 09:54 AM
I found a link that is discussing the 'yote doggin'. I guess 2 types of yote doggin' goes on... decoying to shoot them and running them down and tearing into them...
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23538
Brent

ed2006
June 11, 2008, 07:47 AM
added that link to my favaorites , looks interesting. Ed

got to go to work now . later Ed

BIGR
June 11, 2008, 07:05 PM
25.06 should do a fine job at that range. 7 mag would do it also, but with more recoil. Alot cheaper to shoot the 25.06 also.

LanceOregon
June 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
The .223 Remington will do a fine job on Coyotes at 300 yards.

Beyond that, then you might want to consider something heavier like your .25-06 or a .243

Tuckahoe
June 11, 2008, 10:52 PM
The good news is for every one you see during the day you likely have twenty five that you have not seen.

CPTMurdoc30
June 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Me personaly I would go for the 25-06. If you are not worried about pelts use either. Get your self some downloaded rabbit in distress calls and set some speekers on the back deck and crank it up the sit and watch. If you can get a shot during the day smack them hard.

mpage
June 12, 2008, 08:54 AM
How are coyotes a threat at 300 yards?

Art Eatman
June 12, 2008, 09:18 AM
mpage, you wanna think about that question for a minute? :D

Coyotes eat chickens and kill house cats and smaller dogs. They'e been know to attack small children (near Phoenix, AZ). If they don't show up at a near distance, you take the shot they give you.

T-Ray
June 12, 2008, 10:16 AM
Either gun will work fine. You're not going to be taking more than 1 shot more than likely (slight chance of taking 2) because coyote don't like their own dead, so if you get one, i suggest leaving him there or hangin it up so they don't come back. And about the one shot, once you shoot into them, they disappear so if you don't want a dead carcass layin around to keep them away, get some buddies together, as mentioned earlier, and try to get more of them.

CPTMurdoc30
June 13, 2008, 07:11 AM
How are coyotes a threat at 300 yards?

You have got to be kidding me. If you have small animals or children then a Coyote with in 3 miles is a danger. Have you not seen the news stories lately where yotes are trying to drag off kids during the day time? The threat is that the coyotes will move in closer and closer. Because even though Dusty Rivers takes the right precauitions does not mean that his neighbors are taking the same precauitions. They may leave little Fifi out at night they may leave the trash out and open then what you have yotes next door. Then they are comming over to your house to see what they can find there.

Dusty I Would do everything in my power to kill them all I like the 3 or 4 buddies at once and take them out with volley fire. Take a look over at Varmint Al's (http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm)web site you can get some mp3 files over there that might help. You can use them to get set up and cover your noise.

crowbeaner
June 16, 2008, 02:36 PM
Now just remember that I saw this on a hunting TV program, but this guy shot coyotes from spitting distance to over 600 yards away. His scope had yard markers and all he did was dial up the distance after checking with a laser rangefinder. I don't know the caliber but he did quite well with it. I'd get a buddy and shoot the first two you can get the crosshairs on. Generally they will be the alpha pair, and the others songdogs may stick around waiting for them long enough for another shot or two. Not all yotes take off right away, and you need to be ready for a longer range second shot; they will sometimes stop and look over their shoulder before disappearing. This fatal flaw causes them to get hit with the next round. I myself prefer a 22-250 with hot 55 grain loads out to 440 yards; after that the 6mms and 25s come into play. We don't have wild hogs yet in Upstate, but there are many 2 legged ones around. I don't believe there are any back tags for them however.

Jack O'Conner
June 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
Dusty:

I don't get it. Why ask this forum what rifle you should shoot a prairie beggar? Seems to me that if this situation was valid, you'd just shoot with whatever was handy.

Jack