PDA

View Full Version : What is the most reliable semiauto shotgun you can buy under $750?

Super-Dave
April 9, 2008, 11:26 AM
I am looking to buy a semi auto shotgun with no more than 22" barrel,
What is the most reliable one I can buy under $750.00

ocharry
April 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
i like my Remington 1100 with slug barrel and 4 shot extension,,,,,,never had it fail to do anything,,,,,use it for 3 gun

my .02

ocharry

mikenbarb
April 9, 2008, 12:58 PM
I tend to like the inertia driven guns for reliability between cleaning. It doesnt get the crud buildup like gas operated ones.All the gasses go out the barrel instead of into the action. I think Franchi makes a couple in that price range or Stoeger has a few. I also own an 1100 and never had a problem. But I clean it after every use.

alfred
April 9, 2008, 08:05 PM
Mine has been a 1994 Browning A 500G.It is the worst piece of crap Browning ever made according to many who have never and would never own one simply because they know so much more about them than the owners do.The owners that I know love them as I do.A Browning rep.told me well after I bought it that "they quit making it because it was too expensive to make and they could not make a profit with them"."They went to the Gold because it was cheaper to make and the profit margin was larger for the selling price". "They did have a problem with the early model A-500R recoil model which they solved".I paid $412.00 for mine brand new "made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal".I do love to stick a magnet to the receiver just to hear the "click".I love to do it more so around the folk who trash it that have problems with their "Superior"Shot guns.I do not know the answer,but I know this.Many don't and assume they know such things.I would go to Wal-Mart and ask what guns folk are dissatisfied with the most.You go where folk are on commission and they are tempted to recommend the one that they will make the most off of.Check out all of the past years forums you can find on them.My 1994 or even last years has nothing to do with todays quality.I have never liked Remington simply because they felt awkward and did not seem to point naturally to me.Friends had them and loved the 1100 & 11-87 for years with no problems whatsoever.Some of them buying newer ones for their selves and grandchildren have been very dissatisfied lately from what I hear with the same models.BUT,it is hearsay.

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING.alfred

mnhntr
April 9, 2008, 08:16 PM
i recently shot a winchester super x2 and this is what i am buying. what a simple reliable weapon.

Smitty in CT
April 9, 2008, 11:04 PM
Mossberg 930, no o-rings, easy to clean.... do a search they are as good as everbody says....

Second choice would be the Berretta 390 / 3901 (shorter barrels could be tough to find...), moreso than the 391, I've seen more 391's cause their owner's fits than any other gun at the club... could be cleaning, maintenance, or load choices, but I ruled them out based on my observations....

UniversalFrost
April 9, 2008, 11:28 PM
for me it has been an 1100 or 11-87. only time I had a problem was with the 11-87 when it broke a firing pin on a bad primer.

wickeddeus
April 10, 2008, 01:10 AM
A Saiga 12....well if you can find one.

B. Lahey
April 10, 2008, 01:50 AM
Saiga 12 and save the other $400 for mags and ammo.

Mine has been 100% and I've been giving it a lot of exercise. Get the one without the swapable Russian chokes if you want to use the US-made 10-round magazines without changing anything else. That model only has 13 parts, so when you use a US mag (3 parts) instead of the Russian one, it's instantly 922r compliant.

Start looking for one now if you want one, it took me forever to find mine.

Unbreakable
April 10, 2008, 01:25 PM
Remington 11-87 or Benelli M1 Super 90. You should be able to find with in that price range if you look hard enough. I own both and they have never failed. The Rem is built like a tank but it's action is a little slow. The Benelli will put all your shells in the air before the first one hits the ground but it kicks a little more.

Scattergun Bob
April 10, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Dave,

A gun out of history that is available is the SKB XL-100, my model has a handmade tube extension, it shoots very well.

A-5 Browning a favorite of Louie A, I parts built one with a 20" barrel, worked well, not my favorite horse.

Hard to beat the pre ban H&K M1 super 90. I have seen some in my part of the woods in the low eights.

Save up your money, the best of the best non traditional short scattergun is the Benelli 121B. It is worth the extra money, and peoples eyes open wide when I bring it to class. FASTEST RACE HORSE ON THE BLOCK

Good Luck & Be Safe

mattamuskeet
April 10, 2008, 09:20 PM
I think the most reliable shotgun ever made was the A-5 Browning. They are simple...you can see how they work. Just keep a little lube on the spring and they function without fail. A 3-inch magnum will shoot heavy 2.75 or 3" loads

Pharmer81
April 11, 2008, 11:24 PM
I have a Browning A-500R that has seen many rounds without a single failure. Very light weight, and points great. Pheasants live in fear! I bought it several years ago used for $225. Of all my guns (handguns or long guns), it is my favorite. For something a little newer, you couldn't go wrong with a used Benelli M1 Super 90 or SBE; both easy to find in nice used condition for $600 to $900.

Nemsis
April 12, 2008, 01:52 AM
Rem 11/87 here not the lightest gun but a great reliable one

hoytinak
April 12, 2008, 02:11 AM
My Remington 1100 has never done me wrong, but it's the only semi shotgun I've ever owned....or shot for that matter.