PDA

View Full Version : SHOTGUN Recommendations????

usmcxd
April 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
i am looking to purchase a shotgun in the near future, but i am interested in hearing from all of those with a wealth of experience. i know of mossbergs, remington, winchester, benelli, and HK, but i am not sure what the real comparable benefits are of one when compared to another.

here are a few of the things that i would like to have in a shotgun, so please try and steer me in the right direction, to include makes, models, and the benefits of each model as well.

1.) pump action
2.) diversity of short barrel for HD and then a barrel for some turkey hunting as well.
3.) collapsible stock possibility.
4.) choke tubes VS. non-choke tubes.
5.) capacity of at least 6 shells.
6.) ability to possibly add light at some point if wanted.

please share any pro's or con's about the various ones out there.

if you know of a great price source of where to purchase - that would be great too.

thank you for your help.

mikenbarb
April 7, 2008, 07:56 PM
Remington 870 all the way! One of the best pumps ever and countless options for them. Expect to pay anywhere from 150.00+ for used to about 400.00+- for a new higher grade. Theres alot of good used ones out there for a good price. You can get a good one at nearly any sporting goods store or somewhere like Gander Mtn. or Dick's sporting. Good luck with your hunting.

chris in va
April 7, 2008, 08:06 PM
I had a Benelli Nova, tried a Remington and shot a Mossberg 500 quite a bit.

In the end, I have a 500 with 28" and 18" barrels. Nothing else added, sold my Knoxx stock a while back as it was interfering with my clays shooting.

The 500 has one extra shell capacity if that means anything. I just like how easily it chambers a round, doesn't mind being short stroked.

usmcxd
April 7, 2008, 08:22 PM
Remington 870 all the way! One of the best pumps ever and countless options for them. Expect to pay anywhere from 150.00+ for used to about 400.00+- for a new higher grade. Theres alot of good used ones out there for a good price. You can get a good one at nearly any sporting goods store or somewhere like Gander Mtn. or Dick's sporting. Good luck with your hunting.
got a pic of yours?

kristop64089
April 7, 2008, 09:11 PM
I know where you are coming from, as I was there not long ago.

I have had the Beneli Super Nova, and they felt like a toy. I have a Mossy 500 and it's not bad. I just sold a Maverick 88, it served it's purpose in a VERY economical way.

This is what I ended up with
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/kristop64089/Gun%20Pix/Long%20Guns/100_0802.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/kristop64089/Gun%20Pix/Long%20Guns/100_0803.jpg.

It is a totally tricked out Remington 870(thanks to the previous owner:D)
These things are like Mustangs of the shotgun world. There are so many bolt ons, it's not funny.

Here is the shortlist of what's been done to mine:
- 870 express magnum
- Choate stock
- Surefire front end,with light ,with momentary switch
- 1 Tac-star side saddle holster on reciever
- 1 Tac-star on stock
- Vang comp mag extension
- Vang comp side sling swivels (front and rear)
- Vang comp tuned( lengthened forcing cone, worked over internals/barrel, and patterned)
- Vang dome saftey
- Flex-tab installed
- Williams appeature sight
- Tritium front sight
- Factory parkerized

soldiercraig
April 7, 2008, 09:49 PM
870 has a very proven track record. But i know of some Mossbergs that arent too bad.

jlbpa
April 7, 2008, 10:12 PM
here is my 870 police magnum with a 26 barrel.

bclark1
April 7, 2008, 10:34 PM
If you want a pump, Mossberg 835 is a great model for all-around. I have some nicer semis now but I still take my 835 out for turkey season because I love to get the mileage, it's a great shotgun.

Remington 870 is by far the most popular and also about as good as it gets. In spite of my love for Mossberg I advised a friend to buy one last fall and we've both thought it's great. Only difference is you're going to pay more for a supermag chamber.

Both should have screw-in chokes. Both have a variety of chokes available. Both have a variety of aftermarket components available. Both meet your capacity requirements with the stock tube. As for the tactical stock, you can get them, but you run into two problems. The first is just my opinion, so I'll skip it. The second is that, if you lighten your shotgun up, and want to shoot some heavy loads, it is going to beat the crap out of you even worse than a pump on supermags does to begin with (I had a black eye once to show for a couple boxes of turkey loads). Go with one in a normal barrel length (you don't need all that short tactical baloney for turkey) and a not-so-flashy configuration and it will do anything for you.

usmcxd
April 8, 2008, 01:23 AM
wow, there really is so much information for consideration.

Scattergun Bob
April 8, 2008, 02:55 AM
This is a Chev vrs Ford vrs import question, maybe the one thing that didn't get mentioned (or I missed it) steel vrs aluminum receivers. Hopfully I don't start another war with that.

Scattergun Says, got me an 870 or two, a mossberg 590, got me a Ithaca old model 37, picked me up a nova, the Nova is kinda sticky when I pump it, I think because of the finish. Point is they all work as advertised, i like em all :), I'd tip my hat toward the 870 because of the steel receiver and double action bars.

Good Luck & Be Safe

mikenbarb
April 8, 2008, 07:27 AM
I shoot a few 3 1/2 shotguns and even still an Ithica mag 10 for turkey sometimes. If you invest in a supermag or any 3 1/2 gun then You should consider a good ported choke tube for magnum loads. The porting takes alot of the bite out of the recoil. I think one of the best things I have found for mine is the new screw in Poly-Choke. It replaces factory choke tubes,It is ported and gives you the option for choke adjustment from X-full to cyl. bore at the tip of your fingers. I bought one for my 870 w/26" barrel and love it. It adds a couple inches to the gun but its worth it if you change choke tubes alot. And the best thing is that it handles anything from steel shot to slugs and patterns great.

usmcxd
April 8, 2008, 08:12 AM
QUICK QUESTION:

is it true that one can use a barrel longer than 18" on the Rem 870 Express, even with the extended magazine tube?

usmcxd
April 8, 2008, 10:55 PM
well guys, after much research and many of your thoughts, opinions, advice, insights, and pictures, i just purchased the following: :D

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj114/usmcxd/remington870express.jpg

it is a brand new Remington 870 Express 18" with the extended mag tube (7 shot), still in the box, never opened or fired, and it is being shipped out tomorrow to my FFL for the grand total of $280 shipped to my FFL. :shock:

i think i landed a good deal on it.

i will "tac" it out as i move along with it, and probably buy a longer barrel for those occasional turkey runs. it will be here soon.

thank you again everyone for all of your help and taking the time to respond.

kristop64089
April 9, 2008, 05:42 AM
Congraulations, and good choice. Can't go wrong with an 870.

Scattergun Bob
April 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
I always like new guns in my hands, there is unlimited potential there, Congrads on the new Express, my wish to you is as always "that it will shoot where you look every time you choose."

Good Luck & Be Safe

P.S. keep some rust proof on this gun, some of the Express finishes are less that I would hope for.

usmcxd
April 9, 2008, 10:58 AM
P.S. keep some rust proof on this gun, some of the Express finishes are less that I would hope for. thank you for the heads-up. :)

it is unfortunate that quality control has become a bit out of control, ya know!?!

rem870hunter
April 9, 2008, 05:15 PM
yes you can use a mag. extension on the 870 with barrels longer than 18".

my dad had a 10 shot extension that he one time put it on his model 1100. before the ban. i think he sold it right before the ban went into effect. although at that time the shortest barrel he had that would work was a 26" plain fixed imp. cyl. barrel. not too sure if a 10 shot mag. extension is still out there anywhere for sale.

that same extension would fit either of the 870 models that we had too. but was too long for an 18" or 20" barrel. had to use the 28" vent rib. it looked a little silly that way.

as far as mossberg,browning,benelli, etc. not sure on those models. just the remington 870 and 1100.

FDChief
April 11, 2008, 06:20 AM
Vang Comp actually has extensions that are longer than the barrel so it can be used for breaching walls and beating the intruder without damaging the barrel (in case you run out of ammo):D