PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger quality questions

RCJ
April 7, 2008, 03:49 PM
I spotted the Stoeger Coach Gun at my local store the other day and loved the feel of it as a potential HD gun (I know it's only 2 shells, but it's handling seems ideal). Anyways, 95% of my shotgun experience has been with Browning Citoris and a Benelli SBE and I don't expect $350 or so to match that durability and craftsmanship, but how's the reliability? Obviously as a short-barreled HD gun I wouldn't be shooting alot with it, just break-in and taking it out occasionally for fun. Could I expect them to be 100% through 500 or 1000 rounds?

Sportdog
April 8, 2008, 07:59 AM
About a month or so ago I purchased a Stoeger Model 350 pump, with sythetic stock and short barrel for a home defense and just play around with shotgun. I know that you are asking about the SxS but the pump seems very nice to me. I've put about forty rounds of skeet loads through it just "playing commando" rapid firing it and it has functioned very well. The only thing that I don't like about it is when loading the magazine the feed lever (I guess that I don't know the proper name for it) has a sharp edge and with the strong spring in the magazine it will put some serious hurt on your finger if you are not careful. Stoeger, I believe is owned by Benelli and that should bring some quality to the table. Sorry that I couldn't help with information about the coach gun. Good Luck with your choice.:)

jeo556
April 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
My fiance bought me a Stoeger M-2000 last year. so far I've had her out bird hunting a half dozen times, and to shoot trap and sporting clays double that. No FTF's, FTE's or anything that I would consider a fault yet. At one point (about four weeks time) I had her hunting twice and trap twice with about 250 rounds through her without cleaning. No problems at all....When I finally did take apart to clean there was so much debris in the gun I was shocked she still worked flawlessly. I'd buy another if that helps.

Jeo556

10-96
April 8, 2008, 03:42 PM
I picked up a Stoeger Coachgun about a year ago- I guess I'm in the neighborhood of 300-400 rnds. Not even a hint of a hitch or problem. They have been around at least 30 years and who knows how much longer. Mine has inter-changeable chokes (ImpCyl & Mod). It broke in quite well after only 50 rnds and the wood to metal fit on all parts is good. The finish is good and even (even the shiney foo-foo gloss on the wood). It patterns as well as any 18.5" bbl scattergun, my only improvement was to remove the front bead- but that may only have been due to being taught to shoot by older gents who thought front beads were a waste of time. In my opinion, it's 100% better than the Russian Baikals. Oh, I just thought of a gripe I do have with them... They don't come as 18.5" and 30" bbl sets.

DIXIEDOG
April 8, 2008, 04:43 PM
I have a .410 Stoeger Condor and a 12/20 Stoeger Condor with matched barrels and they have both been 100% with well over 1000 shells through them. I did give it a thorough cleaning when I got it because they are packed with cosmoline and that will gum up your action if left untouched, otherwise I just shot them.

RCJ
April 8, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the input guys, sounds like a solid bet. Any other experience stories out there?

theberettaman
April 8, 2008, 04:50 PM
...only that Stoeger,Benelli and Frachie is owned by Beretta.

whitedemon89
April 8, 2008, 05:28 PM
My stoeger uplander is a beautiful piece of machinery. The soft clean lines, the fine finish and machining, and the the soft click as the side by side barrels snap close with a flick of the wrist. It's my home defense gun, and it is flawless. Not a single problemEVER.

Horseless Trooper
April 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
Iv'e owned a 12ga. Coach gun for about 12 years or so. Maybe only 100 or so rounds through it with no problems. Was my bedside gun for a while and only changed it for a Chinese double because my wife is more comfortable with exposed hammers. Now it is my truck gun and makes a nice backup for the .357.