PDA

View Full Version : re-blue or not?

JetFuelBurner
April 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
My dad just gave me a nice little Lefever Nitro Special 12 GA side by side. Unfortunately, most of the finish is gone. Also, it suffered some light surface rust all over the gun and some very minor pitting in spots.

Two questions.

Can one re-blue if there has been some light pitting like that?

What does re-bluing cost (roughly).

I don't want to do this myself with any of the home kits because I don't want this gun to be the one I learn on if you get my drift.

Thanks

NINE
April 7, 2008, 03:20 PM
minor pitting? I'd suggest a bead blast and reblue. Should be well under $100.

JetFuelBurner
April 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Good deal. Thanks for the tip.

Slopemeno
April 7, 2008, 05:00 PM
I was fortunate enough to have the use of a Nitro Special during my high school years for hunting. Great shooter, btw.

The Nitro Special will have soft-soldered ribs and barrels. That means a hot-blue will cause them to detach. If you must refinish it, the barrels have to be "rust" blued, not hot-tank blued. Rust bluing is fairly labor intensive. The receiver is safe to hot blue, however. A proper restoration will cost quite a bit more than $100, believe me.

If I were you, I'd enjoy it as-is.

.45 COLT
April 7, 2008, 06:43 PM
I know you said you don't to DIY, but rust blue isn't hard - just labor-intensive, as already noted. I've done several guns that way. I mix my own solution, but it can be purchased.

COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS (http://www.winrest.com/blueinstructions.html)

DC

JetFuelBurner
April 7, 2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the risks of hot bluing. Maybe DIY on salt bluing might be the way to go. Either way, very good info.

Thanks

J F Cooper
April 8, 2008, 07:08 AM
You're getting some conflicting info here.. Keep the salt blue away fron the gun or any other classic double, The Barrels should be rust blued as stated. the frame was originally case colored, and should never be blued,, the furniture was niter blued... JFC

Ruger4570
April 8, 2008, 07:39 AM
Brownells sells several types of DIY bluing products that are safe on soft soldered barrels. I have done several guns with their chemicals and although a little time consuming, the results were great.