PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 Performs Even When Rusty

KMO
April 6, 2008, 08:09 AM
I have a Mossberg 500 and I've been very pleased with its simplicity and reliability. So, I'm out shooting with my buddy and he brings his 500 along. He shoots a few rounds through it at the end of the day, but tells me it only holds 2 in the magazine. Obviously, someone set it up to be that way because of hunting regs, so I told him I'd take it home with me and remove the wood dowell in the mag tube when I cleaned the 2 guns. When I broke down this gun, I was amazed. The mag tube was rusted in place, and the receiver components (bolt, bolt slide, trigger assembly, everything) were all rusty too...bad. I think the gun had been dropped in a pond or something. So what's so amazing about this? It still fired and functioned without any trouble. It's all cleaned up now, and operates more smoothly, but my hat's off to Mossberg for a design that can perform even when badly abused. Has anyone found a 500 that was abused to the point where it wouldn't fire? Any similar experiences with Mossbergs?

KMO
April 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
Surely it couldn't be that absolutely no one is excited about this...I'm near tears over the fact that my FL friends are not rejoicing with me over this shotgun story...:(

DEDON45
April 7, 2008, 01:29 PM
My buddy has one that, while not rusty, hadn't been torn down and cleaned since he was a teenager (and that was 15 years ago)... shot umpteen thousands of shells through it, he finally had some trouble with the shells jamming up a bit, not feeding good. I tore it down, replaced the very worn mag spring, and blasted what must have been a pound of crud out of the trigger housing and action... works like new. I've seen Rem. 870s, 1100s do the same thing... I like 'em both, the 870 is just a bit more "refined."

chris in va
April 7, 2008, 08:09 PM
Good to know. I like mine quite a bit.

Only thing it's done to me, a couple light primer strikes for some unknown reason. I stripped it down and hosed out the firing pin channel, hopefully it solves the issue.

Donovan655
April 13, 2008, 01:20 AM
I bought a used M 590A1 and it works flawlessly. I have no information on the history of the gun. It is very drity and knicked up but works as good as new. Mossberg products are fine by me.

lon371
April 13, 2008, 05:10 AM
I have seen one gun that bad, and old Rem pump. A neighbor found it in a shed he was cleaning. He brought it over and gave it to me. It was solid rust, except for the wood. I tried everything from soaking to using a hammer. The only part I ever got to free up was the butt stock. He decided to take it to work and practice with the new chop saw:(

If it were a Mossberg I would still be trying to save it.;)

Hawg
April 13, 2008, 06:41 AM
You could have soaked the action in a bucket of kerosene for about a month or three and got it freed up and probably usuable agian. I dug up a 92 Winchester that had been in the ground no telling how many years. All the wood had rotted off and it was frozen solid. Three months in a bucket of kero and the action works now but it's too far gone to do anything with.

KMO
April 14, 2008, 09:28 PM
I guess sometimes we should just leave 'em buried...