PDA

View Full Version : Daisy for Deer?

roy reali
April 3, 2008, 08:34 PM
Do you think my Daisy Red Ryder would be adequate for deer? I am talking small ones. I am willing to make sure the range isn't too far since my rifle isn't scoped.

castnblast
April 3, 2008, 08:36 PM
Sure...aim for the butt and watch them jump! I won't say what I used to do with one of those back in my young and stupid days...;)

rem870hunter
April 3, 2008, 08:43 PM
a BB gun for deer. wow it would make em jump if ya hit em the buttocks. you aren't seriuosly going to use a BB gun to shoot a deer are you?

Lavid2002
April 3, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well is it a magnum bb that shoots those huge 5 grain bullets or a regular that shoots the 4.5 grain bbs.
LOL
Just kidding. I dont know what you were planning to get out of this but shooting a deer with a bb gun would just hurt it, It would be virtually impossible to kill a deer with a red ryder, a low velocity bb gun.

tyrajam
April 3, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah guys, Roy is definately planning on shooting a deer with a red rider. Either that, or he is making fun of all of the "Can I shoot a deer with my 223" posts. Can't decide which;)

Mainah
April 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
You'll shoot your eye out kid.

BIGR
April 3, 2008, 09:06 PM
Sure if a slingshot will kill one go ahead and try the Red Ryder.....:D:D:D

predator86
April 3, 2008, 11:53 PM
i have been wondering whats with all the posts that say this, "can i use my insert small caliber rifle here for deer??

christ just go get an '06 or a .270 and then you can hunt whatever you want...i personally wouldnt use anything smaller than .270 cuz i like SHORT blood trails.....

Ifishsum
April 4, 2008, 01:10 AM
LOL nice one Roy. My sentiments exactly.

Lawyer Daggit
April 4, 2008, 02:35 AM
I assume this is a joke. It is the kind of thing that gives shooters a bad name.

DO NOT shoot Bambi with an air rifle.

Doyle
April 4, 2008, 09:26 AM
There are many times I have longed for a BB gun while sitting on a tree stand. Usually it's when one of the cows or a bull decides to horn in on my hunting action. They make so much noise that I could never hear a deer coming. A BB shot to the butt should get them out of the way.

Fremmer
April 4, 2008, 09:52 AM
Well, I've heard that it is very common for poachers to use a .22 pellet on deer. The guys in Europe use the .22 caliber for everything up to elephant. I guess they just are better shots than the silly Americans who run around with red necks while they drink and hunt. :rolleyes:

:D

Oh yeah, I forgot to add:

It's all about shot placement! If you can't make a perfect shot and instantly drop a deer, there's something wrong with you! Shot placement! Why, just last week, I was hunting with my Red Ryder, and I saw a grizzly bear about 125 yards away. Not one of those little wussy Alaskan grizzly bears, this was a big Nebraska grizzly bear. Anyway, since I'm a crack shot (SHOT PLACEMENT!), I carefully lined up the sights, and....

bclark1
April 4, 2008, 09:54 AM
I prefer hollowpoint rubberbands. The ballistic tips are nice too but too pricey.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/r/unbranded-rubber-band-gun---magnum-45.jpg

Hawg
April 4, 2008, 09:55 AM
Deer are thin skinned animals and not hard to kill at all. You don't need a big magnum to kill one. Your Daisy will be just fine. Shot placement isn't even that critical. Anywhere in the front half will bring one down. My friends uncle killed a 12 point with his last year and it dropped like a rock.:D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

davlandrum
April 4, 2008, 09:59 AM
Only if you have a perfect shot and limit your range:rolleyes:

deanadell
April 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
I assume this is a joke. It is the kind of thing that gives shooters a bad name.

DO NOT shoot Bambi with an air rifle.

:rolleyes:

Give up on that kid's stuff.......Get a Crossman 760

nate45
April 4, 2008, 10:34 AM
I think in regards to using the smaller calibers Art got it right when he said..

One thing to keep in mind about these discussions is that, generally, we're not the Joe Average deer hunter. A lot of us have shooting and hunting as avocations, working up loads and doing a good bit of testing of our gear--and practicing our shooting.

Compare that to the guy who hardly uses up a 20-box of shells a year. Who pumps adrenalin like mad when he sees a decent buck. IMO, he's not the type who can RELIABLY depend on "lesser" cartridges...

I've seen people who have their rifle bore sighted at the gun store and think its ready to hunt with. People who have never shot I deer in their lives. People like those don't need to hunt with a .223 or .22-250(in my opinion they should not hunt at all) they need all the help they can get.

However when someone like myself(who has killed many,many deer with everything from a bow to a .375 H&H) says that with a properly placed, properly structured .223 cal projectile the .223,.22-250, 220 Swift, .222 Magnum, ect will relaibly kill deer, its the gospel truth based on experience, not conjecture. On the other hand if you are an experienced hunter and reloader who has never shot a deer with a .22 cal and don't know that the 70gr Speer and the 60gr Nosler are designed for deer, now you do. Mere assumption is not good enough.

As far as the Red Ryder goes I know mine worked well on these.
http://fireflyforest.net/images/firefly/2006/July/Four-striped-Whiptail-3.jpg

wpcexpert
April 7, 2008, 05:15 PM
Fun Post

JWT
April 7, 2008, 05:42 PM
Just make sure you don't use lead BB's and taint the meat so you can't eat it...

mellow_c
April 8, 2008, 03:16 AM
Maybe if your the best hunter in the world, so that you can get within a few feet of the dear, and then club it with a horrendous swing that would surly break your precious BB gun.:barf: or shoot both it's eyes out and chase it into enough trees to knock it out. But something tells me the Deer would be gone from the sound of the trigger before your BB even reached it:rolleyes:

kristop64089
April 8, 2008, 06:19 AM
Not without a trigicon/aimpoint.

C'mon ya have to use your head here. If you don't use a pellet, the BB will just dump ALL of it's energy into the hide. You won't have proper wound cavitation, and then you will need to use multiple shots to bring the deer down. This will in-turn paint you as a homicidal maniac that premeditated the senseless murder of this deer.
Your best bet is to load up a .50BMG and end it quickly! YMMV

hogdogs
April 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
Sorry but the 760 is also just child's play! My Gamo shadow 1,000fps monster will kill a hog at point blank and would easily kill a deer with a headshot under 40 feet but it is illegal in Fla to try it.
To Lawyer Daggitt, Don't generalize "air rifle" as small items... An american Bison has fallen to the .50 cal AIR RIFLE as has elk and many other large game animals...
Brent

hillbille
April 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
not to steal your post but this reminds me of last year we had deer in the garden real bad as none of the neighbors were hunters they fed them as pets, I got the boys paint ball gun and sat on the front porch every night and shot the deer in the front yard.they would just jump and look around like what was that. My old neighbor told me a few days later that something was wrong with "his" deer, one big doe I had hit 3 or 4 times in the butt, he said the hair was coming out and they were bruised. I tried my best not to laugh but couldn't help myself, so I told him what I had done, he just shook his head , then told me to be careful and not hit them in the eyes, those poor deer ran around all summer with blue and orange spots on them.

Kreyzhorse
April 8, 2008, 08:10 AM
I prefer hollowpoint rubberbands. The ballistic tips are nice too but too pricey.

Nice - I think I've finally found a gun that I can buy with listening to my wife bitch about the cost!

kingudaroad
April 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
.i personally wouldnt use anything smaller than .270 cuz i like SHORT blood trails....

Yes! 25-06, 260 rem, 6mm rem, 243, and bb guns will not work!:rolleyes:

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 8, 2008, 11:44 AM
lol great post.

Sure you could, but you also gotta remember to watch the corialis effect if you're going to shoot farther than a mile with that big'un.

wpcexpert
April 8, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hillbilli, not to steal your post...but when I was in SC, me and a buddy would get off work (2nd shift), and head out to Manchester. There we would have Q-beams and paintball guns. You could catch a herd of them out in the field. Once you would shine them and rev your engine a couple of times, they would head for the woods, hence cross the road. We would race them to the crossing stop about 15 feet short and cut down on the whole herd. They would freak out.

The funniest thing was to hear folks talk at Batten's about the deer they saw with neon green spots.

Rabbits and opossums were fair game too.

hogdogs
April 8, 2008, 02:27 PM
Not that I give a crap... But in Florida the shooting of deer with a paintball gun is illegal under the law against "Molestation of wildlife" penalty is similar to poaching. To use a light would make it POACHING as the law says "attempting to take game with gun and light" Gun is defined as a device that emits projectiles. Heck they could bust you for poaching and the use of the paintball gun would be a second charge of using a sub standard weapon to take deer. Never lip off to the game warden! In Florida they can search your home truck etc. without warrant or permission!
Brent

SavageMOA
April 8, 2008, 07:55 PM
You guys are ridiculous. Using air rifles or any firearm for deer hunting is not very sporting. I like to strip naked and wait in a tree for days on end before a deer wanders under it, then I drop down and take it down with my teeth. It's only sporting. :D:D

qajaq59
April 9, 2008, 07:01 AM
I'm sure not taking a walk in the woods where SavageMOA lives. He might be hungry and decide not to wait for a deer. ;)

darrentxs
April 9, 2008, 07:15 AM
You'll put your eye out.

wpcexpert
April 9, 2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, it's illegal just about everywhere. It was just fun to do.

Uncle Ben
April 9, 2008, 12:43 PM

Uncle Ben
April 9, 2008, 12:44 PM
wpcexpert said: "Yeah, it's illegal just about everywhere. It was just fun to do."

Chase animals, scare 'em, shoot 'em just for the sake of causing a little pain. Yeah, sounds like a blast:eek: You probably like to kick puppies too...

Loaded4yote
April 9, 2008, 04:02 PM
Are we feeding the Anti's now?

Granted the OP makes a point, however, in the wrong hands this type of post could be used as ammuntion against hunters in general.

Hawg
April 10, 2008, 05:00 AM

Granted the OP makes a point, however, in the wrong hands this type of post could be used as ammuntion against hunters in general.

They'd get more mileage out of posts on using .223's or #4 buck for deer.

deanadell
April 10, 2008, 09:05 AM

:rolleyes:

If we're feeding the aint's while poking a little fun at ourselves with satirical humor, then let them feast away.......

Colt Delta Elite
April 10, 2008, 11:54 AM
Uncle Ben, I agree... just pathetic. Now you know what little kids who stand over ant mounds with magnifying glass grow up to be.

If hillbillie and wpcexpert live in the same state, I suggest they go paintball each other.

wpcexpert
April 10, 2008, 07:41 PM
For starters, the opossums, they died, and who hasn't killed one?

The rabbits, the died (paint balls do a number on them), and they got ate.

The deer, please...really, are the panties bunching up just a little over nothing? It caused a sting for a few minutes "when" they even got hit with one. The actual hit ratio was less than 50%. But nothing was really hurt or damaged. The anti's can't say a durn thing when their own are whacking little puppies and putting them in dumpsters. And the "I bet you kick little puppies too" comment...sensitive much?

Is it really that big of a deal to get all worked up over? So I did a few dumb things in my younger days. Wow, who hasn't? But there are a lot of stones being cast. Give me a break.

MeekAndMild
April 10, 2008, 07:49 PM
I don't know about using a Daisy. :confused: To me it sounds like it might tear up too much meat especially if you hit the shoulder. You know those rapid fire lever action BB guns can slam fire too, pretty dangerous. :eek:

I think I'd try to limit the damage by only using crayon drawings of guns, but only drawings of muskets and other muzzle loaders so as to not startle people on the way to the woods. :)

MeekAndMild
April 10, 2008, 07:51 PM
Oh yes, one other thing. NEVER NEVER hunt deer with a crayon drawing of an evil black assault rifle. Coyote brown is OK. I forgot to mention that in my first post.:o

JWT
April 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
Be very careful with the crayon drawings. If your kids find them and take them to school they can be suspended for their actions. Very, very dangerous you know...

elkman06
April 11, 2008, 12:26 PM
Geez,, Haven't you guys seen the info on people dropping out of tree stands vertically onto pigs with a big spear. Kinda cool......
elkman06
P.S. I think that would have to be accented with a good primal scream..LOL

Inspector3711
April 11, 2008, 01:54 PM
I shoot em with an old Crossman pump. Get up the nose and they drop every time! The trick is sneakin' up on em so the ol' Crossman will have enough power. After their down I use the rubber band gun to make sure they aint playin possum!
Hunt bears with a blow gun too! Honest!

zebulonsmith
May 28, 2008, 03:51 PM
Be a real man. What you do is sneak up behind them real quiet like, then give them a good kick in the junk. While it's recovering, grab 'em around the neck and squeeze until it stops kicking.

davlandrum
May 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
Rotflmao !!!!

mikenbarb
May 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
ROFLMAO, This thread is gonna be a classic. Im having accuracy problems with my Red Ryder, Can anyone tell me why the group is 100 feet @ 100yds?? LOL I think my scope is bad. Hmmmm, I think the barrel is bent a little because the BB's curve when shot with magnum loads behind them.;):D:D

teeroux
May 28, 2008, 08:07 PM
Sure you can use your airgun sneak up on him and club-em over the head with it.

alfred
June 5, 2008, 07:17 PM
Anyone that thinks of such should be limited to such for all hunting.We would all be much safer.alfred;):D

milemission
June 6, 2008, 03:35 PM
Airguns is where it's at. I've shot deer with a .50 BMG that just laughed at me, but man, when I shoot them with that Red Ryder, they go down so fast that all you can see is a cloud of dust.

LanceOregon
June 7, 2008, 03:46 AM
Hey, you can buy some pretty powerful air powered rifles these days.

This hunter from New York City managed to take a large Bison with his air gun:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/hunting/airhunt.jpg

milemission
June 7, 2008, 04:50 AM
Dang, what caliber is that thing? I want one!

shortwave
June 7, 2008, 08:21 AM
Don`t know about air rifle but wife hunts with car.:rolleyes: Car is very effective and they`re kinda like a 45 cal. Slow moving,big,heavy projectile. P.S. Her yearly bag limit usually surpasses mine as I hunt with bow.

alfred
June 8, 2008, 04:12 PM
I saw a while back where they had found the air rifle that Lewis & Clark took on their expedition.It went to the west coast and back.

I have a Daisy .22 rim fire made by Daisy that I bought at Wal-Mart years ago.While it would kill a Deer,1000 lb.Steer,Polar or Kodiak Bear with a very careful placed shot,It will be a very last resort on my part.I would rather hold the beer and watch "the stash" for those kind of hunters.And no,I am not loaning my Daisy to anyone for the attempt.I don't feel like searching Bear Scat for the remains of it.

I am experienced at killing Hogs and Steers with a .22 at Butchering time.I know it will do it.I just don't like the position you need to get in for a sure fire killing shot.

I also know of a man in his 80's once killing a bear with a axe.They were having a dispute over who owned a Hog.If you are going to steal a hog from a old man down around the Okefenokee Swamp,you best steal his axe first.I think folk down there are still leary about attempting to steal a Hog from one of those Barbers.They seem to be rather possessive when it comes to their hogs.alfred

Perhaps these Daisy hunters are on on a "caged" hunt.alfred

MeekAndMild
June 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
I saw a while back where they had found the air rifle that Lewis & Clark took on their expedition.It went to the west coast and back. I'm amazed.

http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm
http://www.beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm
http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/content-channel.asp?ChannelID=300

T-Ray
June 11, 2008, 05:32 PM
Uncle Ben, I agree... just pathetic. Now you know what little kids who stand over ant mounds with magnifying glass grow up to be.

If hillbillie and wpcexpert live in the same state, I suggest they go paintball each other.

1. Not magnifying glasses, black cats.
2. If they go painballing, i wanna go.

AZAK
June 11, 2008, 06:44 PM
Forget the Daisy. Just wait patiently outside for one to die of old age!!! (This works best if you are young, but still can work as you get older!)

If you are REALLY OLD, like you called Noah by his nickname, you might want to take an air horn out with you. Camo up, hide behind something next to the game trail, bedding area, feed, etc...(you get the point) and when the big one comes around, give him a heart attack!

This way you do not have to chance breaking your Daisy, or...
Putting your eye out!!!

Happy Trails

alfred
June 12, 2008, 01:19 AM
We all just called him Noah until he started building that boat.Then most started calling him Crazy.;)alfred

T-Ray
June 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
Dang, what caliber is that thing? I want one!
Google large bore air rifles and there's a ton of different ones. A lot are .45 or .50 caliber. I found them when i was looking for a 1,000fps .177 pellet gun and was amazed. But then i thought about it and you probably have to "get through airport security" to be able to hunt big game with one. Looks like a lot of fun though.

sureshots
June 19, 2008, 08:27 PM
I think the Red Rider BB Gun has too much recoil for the average Deer Hunter. I find the 30-06cal. can do the job with A much more pleasant recoil. Don't you?

wpcexpert
June 20, 2008, 05:23 PM
T-Ray--the blackcats are great but sometimes you need a longer fuse. Found that out the hard way on a fire ant mound. Made the mistake of disturbing them before hand. Put it in hole, and KABLEWEE, 1000 pist-off fire ants all up my britches. Not a good day. Tons of laughs for my buddies though.