PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hunt?

Uncle Ben
April 2, 2008, 11:42 AM
Before I begin, let me just say that I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against hunting whatsoever. I'm just a gun enthusiest in general, currently only target though.

Basically, I am curious as to what avid hunters get out of the sport. Personally, I don't think I could comfortably take out large game, such as deer or bear, but again, I have nothing against those who do.

As far as small game, again "personally", I would have no problem taking out bird, turkey, or similar small game, but am not sure what the point would be or what I would do with it after (other than the turkey, which I would gladly eat), but perhaps sport alone is plenty reason enough.

Anyway, these are just questions I've been pondering with no hidden motives, and not trying to get a rise out of anyone. Just want to gain some insight and understanding of the subject.

Thanks.

Kreyzhorse
April 2, 2008, 11:51 AM
I hunt because I enjoy it. I love being outdoors and love getting a chance to see game and the other wild critters. I enjoy being part of nature and the process of nature.

As far as killing a big game animal, I find it very difficult to explain the thought process. While not coping out, I'll cope out and say that unless you've done it, you would have a very hard time understanding it or why people do it.

deanadell
April 2, 2008, 12:21 PM
Because I choose to be a predator instead of a scavenger :D

Sportdog
April 2, 2008, 12:34 PM
It's all about being out in the woods and fields. It's about watching the wildlife interacting with each other and their environment. It's about taking the time to really take in the splendor that God has provided us. It's about the bonding of fellow hunters and sharing the stories and experiences. It's about testing your skills as a hunter and matching them against the game that you are hunting. It's a way of developing a personal understanding what it really takes to get food on the table. It's about developing a personal understanding for the true nature of mankind's deep rooted instints of the hunter in all of us. It's about understanding what is just too difficult to put into words but achieving that feeling. It's about me being who I am.;)

buck-hunter
April 2, 2008, 12:39 PM
^
^
^
What he said. I hunt deer & turkey. Both for the trophy and food. I eat anything i shoot. I wont kill an animal just to be killing.

taylorce1
April 2, 2008, 12:43 PM
I hunt because of the challenge of testing my abilities. 99% of my hunting is done by spot and stalk so conditions are never perfect for me to shoot in. So if it is chasing deer for two days in a constant rain with a ML, or crawling for 400+ yards on my hands and knees on the prairie to get within 100 yards on a pronghorn. Chasing elk through black timber or sneaking up on a bear on a beach. Just shooting paper never gives a challenge like that, a controlled environment never test anything other than my ability as a marksman.

I just want the full deal I want to try and beat the wind, make well placed snap shots on animals at close range. Find time to set up for that long shot before the animal gets away and because I can't get any closer. I want to do all this in as quick and humane as possible for the animal as well. So I get to test not only what I learned at the range but what I learned from countless hours in the field. Plus I found after punching paper and getting an accurate load, I wanted other ways to test my rifles.

ELMOUSMC
April 2, 2008, 12:53 PM
I enjoy my time hunting it gives me a chance to enjoy the greatness of Gods earth the never ending scenes that unfold when I am alone in the outdoors.Because of the wrong headed thinking of previous generation it is up to the hunter to maintain the balance of nature.Being the ultimate predator it is up to the hunter to cull the deer herds to limit their population to prevent desease( a plus is they are great eating).Also it is up to the hunter to limit the lesser predators(coyotes,Feral dogs and cats).The large carnivors the Bears,Cougars,Wolf must be limited in range due to population requirement of the human race.The requirements of agriculture necessitate the limiting of Buffalo and Elk here again the hunter is the most viable answer besides the fees paid by hunters keep the habitat for all game species hospitable and guarantee that following generations can also enjoy our birth right,Thats why I hunt ELMOUSMC

ZeroJunk
April 2, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's the way the Creator made things. It will quickly return to a basic instinct if you are ever REALLY hungry.

Farmers can raise 30,000 pigs in a large operation or 80,000 chickens and the human can be sanitized from the harsh reality of it as he drinks his dinner wine and makes derogatory comments about the hunter.

Is there some high ground that I am missing over a hunter taking an animal that at least has some chance to outmaneuver him? Does that wild animal's life mean more than the domestic?

Would God have made predators if they were not necessary, or would evolution have insured their existence if they were not necessary?

It's not a pretty thing to dwell on, but it is the way of things.

Uncle Ben
April 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the really great responses so far. This is just the kind of insight I was hoping for. Keep 'em coming!

I don't want to get away from the original question too much, but a quick add-on question:
Do most of you have the animal "processed" (don't know the proper term) for meat by a professional, or do some of you undertake this task yourself?

buck-hunter
April 2, 2008, 02:05 PM
Somtimes i have a butcher who does it and sometimes i do it myself.

jimbob86
April 2, 2008, 02:16 PM
I don't want to get away from the original question too much, but a quick add-on question:
Do most of you have the animal "processed" (don't know the proper term) for meat by a professional, or do some of you undertake this task yourself?

I can't speak for "most" but we (Me and My House) DIY it, with help from a kind friend of the family that worked more than a decade in a country store's butcher shop. That woman is amazing with a butcher knife and a steel...... and she's 70 years old!

Full-choke
April 2, 2008, 03:05 PM
I hunt for three main reasons:

1. For the food the game brings. I always try to eat as much as possible providing the game is good. Every deer I take goes to the freezer and always will. I have even tried groundhog and muskrat but I do not keep for eating. Varmints (in general) are the only game that I will not keep for food.

2. For the love of the outdoors. I was raised on the land, outside all the time. Growing up on a farm taught me to love the outdoors and being around nature. I am happiest when I am laying out in a bean field with a rifle on my shoulder, the sun on my back and a groundhog in sights. It was the way I was raised and it will be the way I raise my children. The outdoors is more then just being outside it is a way of life and something that I truly enjoy.

3. (Varmints only) To keep population under control. Around me we get a lot of racoons, groundhogs and coyotes. All of which are a problem, especially for the farmer. I take all of these mainly for the purpose of keeping them from causing problems around the farm ground and areas. Coyotes are especially bad taking everything from the barn cats to sheep. Groundhogs and coons eat the crops and dig up fence rows and foundations. So, I play crowd control and take care of them. Most of those critters get fed to the eagles that live on my ground. Take the bullet out and throw 'em in the field for some free food.

F-C

GSoD
April 2, 2008, 03:14 PM
I hunt moose once a year. Why (in no particular order):

a) The food.
I love the taste of it and you can't/wouldn't be able to get it anywhere else. To eat something that hasn't been part of the mechanized farm production system is awesome. And when me and my party bag one, my freezer gets 200lbs of it.

b) The satisfaction.
I find it very rewarding to prepare and eat something that I have planned for a year, stalked for a week, brought a lifetime (even as brief as it is so far) of wilderness and weapons skills to a single make or break opportunity, gutted, cleaned and quartered. This is double when I make it for my wife and new daughter. For a city kid, its a unique experience to provide on such a basic level.

c) The challenge.
In the wilderness for a week with nothing more than you can carry in. Taking what you've done at the range for a year and resting it all on one shot. Everything is for all the marbles.

d) The boys.
The comradrie around the campfire. Gearing up for the morning scout. Upto your armpits in blood and guts. Its a blast!

e) The rush.
I won't lie about it. It is a rush. Not like sex, but not too far behind in its physiological affects. I don't think it is an inherient joy in killing. I think it is a hardwired response that was either instilled in caveman days or developed since then because now you know you'll be eating. Your family or even whole tribe will be eating. I think nature has hardwired this internal reward system into us. It's impossible to describe and I'm sure different for every person. And maybe even non-existent in many. But if it was the all or nothing days I believe those without this mechanism would perish or not sustain their reproduction.

f) The wilderness.
I once heard golf described as an excuse to walk through a park. I consider hunting and fishing to be an excuse to enjoy the wilderness. A reason to just sit there perfectly silent, perfectly motionless, with all your senses set to drink it all in.

Doyle
April 2, 2008, 03:16 PM
In addition to the love of the woods, there is a certain feeling you get from the "feel of the chase" that just can't be duplicated any other way. I'm not much of an anthropologist, but I can't help but think it is hard-wired into our genetic makeup.

When I moved down to SW Florida (where good hunting is very scarce), I really missed this feeling. So, I took up spearfishing. It was almost as good. Now, I'm getting a little old for chasing fish and I've put more effort into finding places to hunt on land.

Art Eatman
April 2, 2008, 03:34 PM
Pretty much "all of the above".

Some of it is the sporting challenge: Bambi practices being a deer for 365 days a year. So, I gotta figure out what he does, when he does it, and where all that's likely to happen. If I do my homework, hey, the food's great!

Dove and quail are just really tasty! So, since they taste better than skeet, they're of interest in their own sporting-sense way. If food was the only issue, I'd just build a cage trap in my front yard and eat all I wanted.

I've always done my own gutting/skinning/butchering and then the cooking. Blood washes off a lot easier than engine oil or axle grease.

There's the social aspect of being with good people around a campfire, swapping lies and stories. There is also the sense of connection with thousands of generations of forebears who also relied on their own wits, talents and skills to have meat.

Art

ELMOUSMC
April 2, 2008, 03:58 PM
Skinning gutting and butchering are all part of the deal .After the Deer have hung for a couple of days and are ready to be butchered all the fellows I hunt with meet at someones farm(we switch every year) hang the the deer and go to work Our wives bring food of every description,the first thing out is the backstraps and they go on the grill.After pigging out the deer are reduced to steaks,chops and roasts,the trimmings are put in buckets and sent home with the widow of one of our deceased hunting buddys to be made into the best sausage in this part of the country.Everything is wrapped equal shares for all.Thats how we do it here in N.E Iowa.Just before we head home we all join hands and thank God for the great gifts he has given us to share.So you see it is all part of the deal! elmousmc

Uncle Ben
April 2, 2008, 04:19 PM
Wow, you guys are literally putting smiles on my face as I read these. This is great stuff!

Desslock
April 2, 2008, 05:31 PM
I've been hunting since I was 10. I'm now 34. I had about a twelve year hiatus in there somewhere because I just wasn't interested in hunting at that time in my life. I haven't bagged a deer yet, but I still go hunting every year. (I also suck at golfing, but I love to go.) I actually enjoy small game hunting more because I get kinda fidgety after sitting for like a half an hour, and when I cruise the woods for grouse and such I can make all the noise I want. And I wonder why I haven't shot a deer yet. I have, however, shot plenty of small game, and I consume all that I shoot.

I enjoy being in the woods, providing food for myself and the wife, and on the rare occasions where I am sitting still, I love the sounds. The wind through the leaves and the grass, songbirds doing their thing, all that. I can't really explain why I lost interest in the first place, it's just that after a while the cool autumn woods were calling to me again. I always go alone, too. I have no hunting buddies. When I was a kid I went out with dad and his friends. Maybe the lack of camaraderie is what made me lose interest way back when. Now I love going out alone.

On a side note, I have never lost interest in target shooting.

Loaded4yote
April 2, 2008, 05:33 PM
I hunt deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, and the occasional bird because I like eatting wild game and also it helps with the grocery bill. Also, it's part of our heritage.

I hunt predators because they're competition. And I don't like competition.

bclark1
April 2, 2008, 07:29 PM
I never really saw a difference between killing large versus small game. Taking a life is taking a life. Human life is obviously a different situation. I avoid taking life except when I'm hunting, and then it's very carefully calculated. I go so far as to try to leave the bugs in my place alone unless they're getting into something. Worst I felt was when I accidentally hit a bird driving, because I knew it was unintentional and a waste.

Without being repetitive in this thread, hunting is the whole package for me. It's my favorite vacation. I enjoy every aspect of it, from organizing my gear to putting the meat in the freezer.

oneSoneK
April 2, 2008, 07:53 PM
I hunt deer & turkey. Both for the trophy and food. I eat anything i shoot. I wont kill an animal just to be killing.

Same. I killed a lizard one time.. hit it with a rock my grandpa saw and well lets just say that it needed garlic....TRUE story...

Iv been a deer hunter since i was 6 and never missed a season and i can honestly say its been years since iv bought meat from the store (except the rare t-bone) i was raised to respect every animal and unless my life was in danger never kill what you dont intend to eat. As far as bear and other big game i have no clue.. in my opinion its people with to much money that want a story for the club house at the local country club. but thats just me.

Kreyzhorse
April 3, 2008, 06:43 PM

I gut mine but have them processed. What can I say, I'm a better hunter than I am a butcher! My wife and I eat what I kill so I figure if I'm going to take the time to hunt and kill game for the table, I'll let a professional do the butchering.

eviltravis
April 3, 2008, 07:36 PM
To eat.

MeekAndMild
April 3, 2008, 07:49 PM
When I was a kid and the steel mill was laying off or on strike we could retreat to one of the grandparents' farms and survive. Nowadays if there is ever any big strike or production glitch the only people who will survive will be the hunters, fishermen and "hobby farmers".

We worked on picking cotton, tending to watermelons, picking beans, raising chickens, pigs, catfish and cattle plus hunting and fishing. What used to be the common small farm is now just a "hobby farm" and the average American gets 90% of their calories as one or another product of factory farmed corn. So hunting is a primary source of real food. Most everything else is reprocessed corn.

Mankind stopped depending on the process of gathering bugs and lizards some time a few thousand years ago when we started hunting. We went from chasing down antelopes to spearing game to using bows and rifles but the principle is the same. Modern society is more efficient raising food but that efficiency is an historical anomaly and will pass one day in a year or a century. When it passes if I'm still alive I plan on being a hunter and farmer, not a gatherer of bugs and lizards.

rem870hunter
April 3, 2008, 08:38 PM
i started when i was 11. shotgun for deer,pheasant,quail. when i was 14 took up bow hunting. by 16 i was hunting with muzzleloader too. my father and grandfather hunted when they were younger. for them it was more for food than fun. for me its food, time with my dad and grandad when he was here. we went out of state 5 times and being outside enjoying peace and quiet. i find that if i sit somewhere long enough the birds and squirrels will come out and play. i do enjoy the sounds of nature even when its distubed by a shot or 2 ringing out.

i don't varmint hunt and i have no problem with it. i would if i had the land too and they were being problems. there is a groundhog or 2 that come around once in awhile here. but it don't chew on anything on my land.

we usually take the deer to a butcher. i thought on doing it myself. would probably be cheaper.

Mainah
April 3, 2008, 09:09 PM
I started hunting when I was forty because a doe beat up my dogs in front of me one morning when I was letting them out and getting the paper. I did some research and learned that there are too many deer and not enough hunters. That leads to more ticks and more Lyme disease, it's hell on the ecosystem, and more deer starve to death.

I've found after two unsuccessful seasons that hunting is much harder than I thought it would be (chaining a dog to a tree doesn't work well for example). But I also found that I gained a new and profound appreciation for the outdoors and for wildlife.

BIGR
April 3, 2008, 09:15 PM
Because I can.....: :D
Great tasting game animals for my family to eat.
Enjoy the outdoors, and watching all kinds of things in the woods.
Great stress reliever being away from the telephone and the rat race in general.
Family tradition passed down for years, thats just what we do.
Like the song says....... I can run a trot line, skin a buck, country boy can survive. Can you provide food for your family when things get tough???

Fat White Boy
April 3, 2008, 10:20 PM
My dad started taking me along as soon as I could keep up and stay out of the way, about 5. I did the same with my boy. The memories we have of hunting, shooting and campfires with out hunting friends are priceless.

predator86
April 3, 2008, 11:32 PM
well for one look at my name...i have been hunting for 17 years now (im 22) and i dont see any reason to give up now, i am also an adrenaline junkie, cars, trucks, boats, roller coasters, wakeboarding, snowboarding, atv's you name it if it gives you an adrenalin rush then i have most likely done it

but let me tell you what, when you spend weeks scouting in the preseason, get in your stand at 5am, listening to the woods wake up and the coyotes going to sleep, and having the deer that you were hunting walk by your tree right where you were hoping he was going to be.......there is no adrenaline rush out there that can match that feeling.........

oh and as a side note, i dont get fired up about gun hunting anymore, gun season is when i go kill 3-4 does for the freezer and local population control, what gets me fired up to the point of shaking is BOWHUNTING.

Bowhunters are predators, gun hunters are oppurtunists.......trust me i've been there.:D

predator86
April 3, 2008, 11:45 PM
oh and i forgot one thing.....i hunt enough that i dont buy meat....so that cuts down on the grocery bill, i cant even eat beef anymore, beef is inferior meat to me that i wouldnt even let me dog eat......doing your own processing helps keep costs down. my dad and i figured it out one year how much we pay for venison if we do everything ourselves and it was like 1/4 the cost of buying the equivalent amount of meat in beef.....not to mention that our meat is healthier. we dont add anything to our venison burger and when i brown a pound of venison burger for hamburger helper i dont even drain the fat off cuz there isnt any to drain off!!!

my venison recipes= gourmet

beef= :barf:

taylorce1
April 4, 2008, 11:10 AM
Bowhunters are predators, gun hunters are oppurtunists.......trust me i've been there.:D
Not true real preadators eat anything they can find and are very opportunistic they don't care if there meat was killed recently or been dead for a week.:p

davlandrum
April 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
+1 to most already stated as well as can be.

One other aspect, for me, is a sanity break. I get away for a morning, or a day, or a week - away from the job, away from the farm, away from the phone, away from email, even away from the kids (at least for now).

To go into the woods and breath deep, slipping along quietly on an old logging road or elk trail, makes me realize just how insane "normal" life is now.

Man, I am ready to go right now:D

W. C. Quantrill
April 4, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hunting is the American way.

My ancestors were hunters. My family has always been hunters. We hunt to eat. We hunt as a way of life. Because of hunting and the game management involved in the process, my deer herds are larger in both number and in body mass than they were previously. My family operates about 7000 acres of owned and leased ground and we have 3 distinct deer herds-- two whitetail herds and one mulie herd. We select which animals go each year and which stay. Our genetics are much stronger for it.

I found out long ago that if I want to get my own meat back, I process it myself. I found the commercial processor stacking carcasses up and mass butchering them then dividing the meat up at the end. I am very particular about the way my meat is processed. Therefore, I do it myself.

lon371
April 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
I too have been a hunter for many years. Everything I hunt gets ate, except yotes. We proccess most of our deer. We will occasionally take one to proccessor if the weather is warm to let them hang.

I use to do a little target shooting. Paper aint that good, dont care how you fix it. Now days I have less range time and more time in the woods.

There is somthing about a fawn rubbing on your ladder stand. You just cant explain, until you get the non hunter to woods.

FORGOT TO MENTION TURKEY SEASON 3 WEEKS WOO HOOO

Huntergirl
April 5, 2008, 07:21 PM
I hunt because I like to eat wild game. I only hunt what I will eat. Years ago I watched cattle in a feedlot, and wondered how an animal responds to smelling the death of its own species for days before its own death. I know that the animals I kill for my food spent every day in the wild, full of life until that last moment. I learned that wild game is actually better for you than beef, because they browse and graze on "field " food. They are leaner and haven't been fed antibiotics and growth hormone and God knows what else that cattle are fed. I think wild birds are cleaner than bred chickens and turkeys. I love to be outdoors in the mountains. I also process most of my own meat, unless I want special "elk sausage sticks" or jerky, or need some ground blend for meatballs and meatloaf, or burgers.

crowbeaner
April 5, 2008, 09:57 PM
I hunt simply because I grew up in a rural (farm) setting, and wild game was a welcome change from daily fare, and we only butchered once a year unless a cow broke a leg or some other mishap befell one. Dead milkers don't fill up the tank. All my uncles and neighbor kids hunted, and venison was the uber reward for hunting alongside them. I hunt today for the added meat with no artificial drugs, fillers or Frankenfood factors; that and the fact that I'm disabled and we usually need more stuff in the freezer. I can tell you this from experience; paper targets and clay pigeons simply do not make edible table fare. Chalky taste and high fiber are NOT part of tasty viands. Also, I learned long ago that deer horns cannot be softened up to any degree making them edible. I shoot flatheads without a second thought; at least when I have a tag for one.

skeeter1
April 5, 2008, 10:24 PM
...Until you've spent your morning freezing your ass off in a duck blind with a thermos bottle of hot soup and a sandwich waiting for the birds to fly. Drawing a lead on one of those (mostly Canada geese and mallard ducks), is exciting as hell. Those hours at the trap range really paid off. When it's all over, you get to eat some waterfowl that's much better than you'll ever get in a store.

It's a lot of work, not cheap, but exciting and, if you're good at it, rewarding.

I haven't been hunting for a couple of years because of health problems, but I sure hope to get back out in the field again.

lt dan
April 6, 2008, 08:25 AM
uncle ben, i do believe you got some good answers.the only thing i can add is that in africa people will also hunt for self-defence. this is usually lion and leopard. this is called ''problem animals" if this animal is found on your land and you did not report its precence you will be fined. this is very good becuase you preserve your life the locals lives as well as the neigbours, and don't forget the livestock. however my main reason for hunting is recharging my battery.having said that if you don't want to hunt, don't. i know a lot of sports shooters that don't hunt but we still discuss shooting for hours. what calibres do you use? maybe you should take a rifle and join a hunt and see if you like it.

hogdogs
April 6, 2008, 12:37 PM
Everything above...
But I feel compelled to post in my own type writin'
Tradition, It is in my lineage and is the american way.
Skill, I am always trying to insure my skills will be prime if and when I am not able to buy groceries for any reason.
Peace and quiet, at least until I fire off the boom stick.
Technology, I love the fact that we ain't stuck with hickory bows and flint tips.
The smell, I love the scents of a morning in the woods, burnt gun powder and the smell I find when I dress out a game animal.
For an adrenaline rush I leave the guns home and load up dogs and get after hogs in hopes I have to handle a very mad very large very dangerous wild hog! All before he tears up any dogs too bad.
Brent

sparkysteve
April 6, 2008, 08:29 PM
Because I can.
Because it's fun.
Becaue animals taste good.
Because golf is for retired people.

Uncle Ben
April 7, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks again everybody for all the great replies. I really enjoyed the reading, and you have drastically changed my thinking about hunting. Like I said before, I have NEVER been against hunting whatsoever, but did not fully understand the need to hunt, or all the reasons why. Now I'm really thinking I'd like to take up hunting in the future, large game included!

W. C. Quantrill
April 7, 2008, 10:58 AM
Let me leave you with a passing tidbit.

Why do you think that there is game to hunt? It is only because of the hunters. Hunters buy licenses. They are the game conservationists. They pay the way. They buy the "stuff" which pays the excise taxes. They fund the state fish and game departments.

If you put this all together, it is the hunter who manages the herd so that there will be more and better animals next year. If it were left up to the "conservationists and environmentalists" you wouldnt have an animal left. Remember the Kaibab. That is an example of their work. 30,000 deer perished because of that.

ZeroJunk
April 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
The Kaibab Deer Investigating Committee recommended that all livestock not owned by local residents be removed immediately from the range and that the number of deer be cut in half as quickly as possible. Hunting was reopened, and during the fall of 1924, 675 deer were killed by hunters. However, these deer represented only one-tenth the number of deer that had been born that spring. Over the next two winters, it is estimated that 60,000 deer starved to death.

You may have underestimated WC.

BadVegetarian
April 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
I haven't been hunting very long. I've never felt as part of the wilderness than when hunting. I literally want to roll around the ground and be consumed and part of nature. And after the scouting and hiking straight up that ridge one more time, I absolutely relish the experience of leaning against that stump, in 34degree rain, holding dead still for 3 hours or more, knowing that any moment, something amazing... is gonna happen... any... moment... now...

BV

MeekAndMild
April 10, 2008, 07:56 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you to TFL, BadVegetarian! :D

Your screen name reminds me of another important reason for hunting. Venison and other natural foods have a lot of the "good" nutrients such as Omega 3 fatty acids and fewer of the bad ones than corn-fed beef. That is very important in this age of trans fats and cholesterol.

djonathang
April 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
Two simple reasons:

1. I've seen some amazing things while hunting. I doubt I'd find myself in the middle of a wetland at 4:30AM just to see thousands of birds flying around, and a gorgeous sunrise. However, provided an opportunity to hunt, I'll see that every time. I like to tell people that in eight hours of hunting, only 10 seconds is killing. The rest is everything else.

2. Power Food - Last weekend I roasted a pig that I shot. Sauteed Chard from my garden, and had beer from (well, I must admit that it came from Oregon). I had my dad over for lunch. It was awesome. The best thing I've ever eaten. I truly enjoy knowing that I hunted and gathered. It tastes all the better.

I'm reminded of an expression, "the only difference between you and me is that you contract out your murder. I do it myself."

Cheers.

jhgreasemonkey
April 22, 2008, 09:02 PM
For the adventure. And for my love of the awesome wildernes and encountering wildlife. Also the reward of fresh venison is pretty nice.
If you have ever sat on a mountain top after spending the morning hiking in. And watched the sun come up as you sit there with your rifle. The wilderness coming to life around you. Its an awesome feeling. Then as the day goes on. Exploring. The things you encounter. The sceanery. The anticipation. The hunt. I would live my whole life that way if only I could afford it lol. :)

humanitarian2112
April 23, 2008, 01:17 AM
So my response, cleansed of prior iniput; I hunt to show my children a process for maintenance and survival. Skills are built upon knowledge and practical implimentation. We do not need meat; we can purchase it at a store for less than it costs us to hunt it. We need the knowledge of the acquisition of meat if the store is no longer available. I think it is a requirement for men to understand that they have the ability to provide; this includes beyond the classic economic failure scenario. If iteotwawki, then we must eat.

and wild boar, when prepared correctly, and cooked with the proper recipes, is outstanding eating. I know that it violates the old cloven hooves/chewin' cud deal, but so does scotch and guiness.

I also recommend that we all learn to brew our own beer...

Breadslinger
May 7, 2008, 05:01 PM
My two grandfathers taught me one very valuable lesson about hunting through two very different medians. Both lived in Wisconsin where game was plentiful. Both hunted for different reasons. Both insisted "If you shoot it, you eat it".
Grandad #1 lived in a big city and hunted for sport. A time for him, his sons, and his buddies to gather, bond, and test their preditory skills. He would practice often to make sure he was at the top of his game (no punn intended).
Grandad #2 lived on a farm and hunted out of necessity; to put food on the table. He, in contrast, saw nothing sporting about it. He only saw a means to suppliment his food source. Both maintained that nothing was to be wasted and would not hunt just to kill.
I hunt today hoping to live up to their standards. Eat what you take and do it in a sporting manner. I have in turn passed these standards on to my children and in time to my grandchildren.

Steady52
May 7, 2008, 05:37 PM
I haven't hunted in probably more than 20 years. My wife and kids would probably disown me if I did (that wouldn't be such a bad thing sometimes), but what I recall the most were the experiences of some of the trips (none very far) and taking squirrels and an occasional rabbit to my grandmother who would help me skin them and stew them and we would eat dinner together. She was a great cook, bless her soul. (My mother didn't know how/wouldn't have anything to do with the process). I look back at those memories very fondly.

I don't remember most days on the shooting range, but I think I can recall every time out hunting.

L_Killkenny
May 7, 2008, 08:13 PM
I hunt to kill. No offense intended but anyone that says anything else is not being honest with you or themselves. They are also do hunting a dis-service by the BS reasons we are trained to spout in this PC world.

If I want food its heck of a lot cheaper to buy it or raise it. If it's the thrill/challenge of the chase, take a camera. Need to spend time with freinds and family? take up golf or poker. Want to spend time with nature? take up bird watching or canoeing. You can get all of these reasons that we (hunters) use to hunt but one. THE KILL! It's part of the game, a big part. If we didn't enjoy it there is no reason to hunt. All of the other reasons can be fullfilled by other means.

There is nothing wrong with saying you do it for killing. It's who we are. It's who we should be. You don't see a fox make exceses for killing every chicken in the hen house do you. Why do we?

LK

Blackthunder
May 16, 2008, 08:54 AM
Because we are still on top of the food chain!

SilentHitz
May 16, 2008, 09:09 AM
Food:rolleyes: I like deer more than beef, wild turkey over store bought crap, and other wild game that you can only get as "delicacy" items on the menu at restraunts (sp) for outrageous prices.

The more I put in the freezer myself, the less I have to spend at the freakin' grocery store.:)

SilentHitz
May 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
If I want food its heck of a lot cheaper to buy it or raise it. So everyone has the land to raise deer, wild turkey ect.? Not hardly.

There is nothing wrong with saying you do it for killing. I respectfully disagree, If you're not going to eat it, it's wrong to kill it just because you want to.

I've seen deer laying in the woods that someone just "wanted to kill". It's waste of good meat, and a bad reflection on other hunters...not to mention a waste of wild animals for no other reason than to satisfy someone's ego for killing.

Firepower!
May 16, 2008, 02:50 PM
I dont frequantly hunt any more.

Recently, I am offered a chance to hunt blue bull (nilgai) and a wild buffalo spring next year. I am in process of buying rifles and ammo and gear. I will purchase the permit sometimes this fall.

That said I am in process of preparing for hunt like a zombie. I mean even though I am getting ready mentally, my heart is not in it. I just dont feel comfortable killing something/one who has done me no harm.

The only motivation that is keeping me to move forward is that I will eat these animals and so will quite a few other folks. It wont go to waste.

Another part me wants to hunt leapords in Gilgit mountains near Kashmir. But something is stopping me. This hunt is purely challenge. Well may be I will locate the animal and intentionally fire off target. Just so that I know I could have if I want to:) I need to understand the value of a life, may it be a human or an innocent wild life. Ok, I wont do it. Its just wrong to kill for sake of killing. Thats the basic difference between being human or an animal.

It probablly does not make any sense but as I grow older and have kids, I am less and less of a hunter.

MeekAndMild
May 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
An anti at work today came up and told me that she was ashamed that I'd go out hunting an innocent bear. Et cetera. So I told her about the habit black bear boars have of killing and eating the cubs to force the sows back into heat. She stopped, thought about it a minute and said, "Oh, I didn't know about that." So now I have her blessing to go back next year. :)

JP Sarte
May 16, 2008, 08:32 PM
Food.

JP

Firepower!
May 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yes food is one of the correct answers.

alfred
May 19, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have never hunted to kill.I always feel bad about killing whether fish,game or predator destroying my stock.I hunt because I like to hunt.I kill because I like to eat it.When I kill game,I feel the exact same way I have felt every time I killed the hog,cow,goose,turkey,chicken,rabbit or duck that I raised to eat.I have never felt "Buck Fever"or proud or a urge to brag.I do not understand it or trophy hunting or fishing.You have to kill it and butcher it to eat it.Killing and butchering are both a necessary evil that I feel the same about.I have no use for anyone who kills needlessly or just to kill.Killing is a necessary part of life.

I have the same lack of understanding of people who like to kill people.I have no scruples about killing people when absolutely necessary,but I do not like killing in any form.In fact,I avoid it and would always rather others took the shot or caught the fish.Now I know of nothing that I would not kill,for my right reasons.Food,defense,protection and duty have always been my reasons.I never remember killing in anger.I have regretfully killed in a reflex action from insects to mammals.Heck,everything that I ever killed was regretfully.

The military trained me to and believed that I would kill anyone or any thing if I thought it necessary.If they had not,I would not have been allowed access to or guard Nuclear weapons.I was fully prepaid to do my part to fire all of our weapons knowing that they would kill millions of men,women and children.I did not have to like it.

I honestly believe that those who like to kill are sick and need help.I also see nothing sportsman like in taking every advantage one can afford to kill fish or game and call it a sport.It is as sporting as killing a pen raised animal in my belief.When that animal has a equal chance of taking you,it is sport.

It would not be sporting or fair to the bear for me to bait a Kodiak bear with a can of Sardines in my left hand and kill it with a knife in my right hand.If I were healthy it would be fair.Being that I am terminally ill,it would not be fair to the bear.It would also be baiting and unfair for me to ride in my wheelchair with a rifle and shoot any bear who attacked.Bears can smell out the dying and have fed on it for eternity.It would only be unnatural if I were not attacked.The Boar bear that I stared down at 10 feet in the Smoky mountains 28 years ago would attack me now.alfred

Quickdraw Limpsalot
May 19, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hunting is a lifestyle handed down to me by my father and grandfather. To me, it is a life-long lesson in being a responsible steward of the land and creatures we're given and giving back whenever possible. It's about respect and nature and spirituality... but it's also about meat and the satisfaction of bringing down a tasty trophy with a single well-placed projectile as a result of years of experience and seasons without the payoff of a filled tag.

It's about the sights and sounds and smells of the woods... birdwatching and laughing at the squirrel that realizes he's within spitting distance a little too late and learning a little more about the way the world worked without you for centuries before you came to sit in your stand on a cool, crisp autumn morning.

It's about the purest thing I've ever known and I'll hopefully teach my kid all about it someday.