PDA

View Full Version : another db question

SPUSCG
March 30, 2008, 06:30 PM
what are some makes/models to look for, many sxs seem very expensive i want quality w/out going broke

J F Cooper
March 31, 2008, 08:31 AM
How much do you want to spend..JFC

ebutler462
March 31, 2008, 09:04 AM
Try to find a Stevens 311 in good shape. It is a rather crude gun but very rugged. I have used them off and on for over 50 years without a problem. They are stout and very reliable. Plan on spending around $350-400 for a used one in good condition.

BigJimP
March 31, 2008, 01:32 PM
The first key in shotguns is to find out what length of pull and stock dimensions fit you - vs the type of action you want. Its primarily an issue of drop at the comb and heel that cause the most problems - but length of pull is important too.

Without those issues being right - the gun won't fit - and you won't hit where you are looking / or you might be 6" high or 6" low which is not good.

There are a lot of shotguns on the market where you get a lot of gun for the money - Browning, Beretta, Benelli etc - but again, all of that is irrelevent unless you know what stock dimensions fit you. As an example - most SXS's do not fit me - too much drop and too short so any SXS for me is a waste of money unless I want to put $2 K into a custom stock. Most pumps and semi autos have too much drop at the comb and heel for me - but length of pull is ok - so I can use a stick on pad on the comb and make most of them work for me. For an Over/Under a paralell comb works real well for me - but on the lower end guns that means Browning. An adj comb in the paralell comb is a perfect solution for me ( Browning XS Skeet, Browning XT Trap, etc ) but the Browning 525 series does not fit me at all (way too much drop ). So shoot a lot of guns and figure this out before you buy any gun.

Full-choke
March 31, 2008, 02:05 PM
The $$$ limit is a biggy. Give us an area and I am sure we could set you up in the right area.

I have always heard great things about the Silver Reserve Mossbergs but have never owned or shot one. My double barrel is a Stoeger Condor and I love it. It is a rugged and durable little gun made for being a hunter not something to sit in a safe. It ain't the prettiest girl at the ball but she will get the job done when required.

F-C

SPUSCG
March 31, 2008, 08:08 PM
around 500

BigJimP
April 2, 2008, 06:45 PM
Honestly - if you want a quality shotgun in the $ 500 range - look at a good pump gun ( Browning, Remington, Benelli, etc ) - they have a variety of models that will fit your needs.

A $ 500 SXS or Over Under is probably a very short term gun and may cause you a lot of problems - in my opinion it will take at least twice that much to get you anywhere near a quality gun that will perform long term - unless you can find a good deal on a used one where you know the history of the gun and it just needs some cosmetic cleanup / stock touchup.

Before you spend $ 500 on a brand you've never heard of - I'd suggest you ask yourself why 10 or 20 year old Beretta's and Brownings are still selling used for $1,000 plus ....and trust me, it isn't just the wood ( its the triggers, springs, metalurgy, durability, etc ) that makes them hold their value after they've fired many thousands of rounds with little, if any, malfunctions. Some guys have decent luck with the off brand guns - but come back and ask them how they feel after they've put 25,000 or 50,000 rounds thru them .....and you'll get a different picture I think. Take care.

olddrum1
April 4, 2008, 12:48 AM
Around the five hundred to six hundred dollar mark you should look for a used 100E or 200E SKB shot gun. I have one that I have been shooting for almost 20 years with no trouble what so ever. I have seen them at the gun shows in your dollar range. My old fox shotguns have not seen the lite of day since I purchased the SKB 100E that I have.