PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have a chopped SxS shotgun?

Fifth Wheel
March 30, 2008, 09:33 AM
Lately, I've wanted to get a Stoeger coach gun and shorten it by reducing the barrel(s) to 18" and chopping off the stock. I want the most compact 12 gauge I can get my hands on.

Have any of you done this? What gunsmiths are competent to reduce the barrel length?

Hawg
March 30, 2008, 09:36 AM
Just keep in mind you have to keep a minimum overall length of 26 inches.

Fifth Wheel
March 30, 2008, 09:38 AM
Thank you. Yes, I am aware of that. I am looking to keep this thing at the absolute shortest legal length.

Superhouse 15
March 30, 2008, 01:29 PM
Anybody who can hold a file without dropping it on their foot too hard should be able to saw the barrels off to 18.5" There is no real trick to it. Measure, measure, mark the barrels, measure again, then cut them off. File as necessary to true the muzzles up square. I use these:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7930&title=SHOTGUN%20BARREL%20HONE
or these:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=647&title=SHOTGUN%20BARREL%20POLISHING%20FLEX%20HONE~
to fix the muzzles up. If I do one with a stock, I replace the front bead. Either a replacement bead sight:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18591&title=SHOTGUN%20SIGHT%20BEAD%20KIT%20
Or something custom I make from brass screw stock. For a pistol grip only, probably don't need that.

As for the wood, usually I keep the butt pad, cut it down, and re-install it on the cut down stock to keep it looking finished. Making the pistol grip look neat is probably the hardest part of the conversion. I've seen people use the original butt pad, leather, leather and brass tacks (Indian style), and stippling to make it look finished. If it's done poorly, the whole gun looks bad. I usually charge between $20 and $50 depending on the details.

YukonKid
March 30, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hawg, I am sure i have seen shotguns for sale online and one in a shop that were no longer than 14 inches long. It is possible to obtain a handgun sized shotgun, but i believe you need a permit, just like automatic weapons.

I will try to find more info, but I am sure that many others know more than me on this. I think it would be awesome to take a cheap O/U like a Remington Spartan and cut it down to a 6 inch barrel and pistol grip.

YK

Bill DeShivs
March 30, 2008, 04:08 PM
Minimum barrel length is 18", and overall length is 26" before you get into NFA territory.

YukonKid
March 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
In the 90's Scattergun Technologies made a pistol grip 12.5" barrel 870.

This one is still produced today.

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Don't break any laws,

Regards

YK

Sportdog
March 30, 2008, 05:50 PM
I had a gunsmith at Gander Mountain take 10 inches off an old Double SxS and couldn't be happier. I have so many shotguns I just didn't need one with all that extra steel. I had him cut mine down to 20" because I thought that gave the gun a more balanced look. I just took a sheet of copy paper and moved it down the barrel until I liked the looks and decided on 20". The handiness of this gun is great, it shoots great patterns with both barrels, and it gives me something a little different. The gunsmith did a beautiful job with a finished look and resetting the bead. I love it.:)

skeeter1
April 1, 2008, 10:16 PM
I don't know. I've got one SxS SKB double with 26" barrels, and that's my idea of short. The other one has 28" barrels.

Be aware that if you cut off the muzzles, you might need to do a little silver-soldering. All depends on the gun. You won't know until you hack it up. Good luck.

Bill DeShivs
April 2, 2008, 02:53 AM
There is no silver soldering necessary when cutting double barrels.
You can fill the space between the rib and barrels by stuffing steel wool in the rib, and melting lead solder into the space. Then file it flush.

mikenbarb
April 2, 2008, 07:54 AM
I did a coach gun down to 19" barrels. And then I got real fancy with it and sent it to Briley and had them install a set of screw in chokes for it. They did a great job and I can put whatever choke in I want. Rite now it has IC&IC and its a blast to shoot clays with.

wnycollector
April 2, 2008, 05:52 PM
I picked up an OLD central arms 16ga SxS ~15 years ago for $60. I trimmed it down to 18.5". I tried to sell it a few weeks ago so that I could make room in the gun cabinet for a new snubbie. My wife saw it lying on the kitchen table as I was getting ready and asked me what I thought I was doing? I told her that I wanted a new pistol and planned of selling the SxS to make room/finance a portion of it. Se told me to go and put it back in the gun cabinet and just buy the pistol:D She said that SxS was totally "idiot proof" and that was the shotgun she planned to grab if there was ever a "problem" in the house!!!

mikenbarb
April 2, 2008, 08:47 PM
You have a great wife. Does she have a sister?? :D

wnycollector
April 3, 2008, 06:03 AM
nope just three brothers!

fett tracking
April 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hey Guys How Bout Some Pics!!!!

cohoskip
April 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
A few years ago I cut down a 16 ga dbl. Just used a hacksaw and a file. Looks and works good. I also cut off the stock. Makes a fine SD weapon next to the bed...